PDA

View Full Version : Helmet Question: Shoei X12 vs 1100

Matrix
Thu Apr 11th, 2013, 02:51 PM
Anyone tried both in a real world application? I have tried on both and like both, but debating between the two. Any feedback is appreciated.

Joe

rybo
Thu Apr 11th, 2013, 03:53 PM
Joe -

I was wearing an X12 when I fell down last year. The fit between the two is somewhat different and the X12 fits me better. There is no significant difference in level of safety. They use the same visor, so the view out from inside is the same. One item of note is that the X12 is somewhat heavier than the X11 that went before it.

One feature that the X12 has that I really appreciate is quick release cheek pads. There are two red tabs at the bottom of the helmet that an emergency worker can use to remove the cheek pads before trying to remove the helmet reducing the chances of a secondary spine injury from the helmet getting removed after the accident.

Great helmets. If they both fit you pick the one you like better.

Scott

Oddibe
Thu Apr 11th, 2013, 04:32 PM
I had an old RF 800 & newer 1000 that I loved both. Favorite helmet brand.

LMFair12
Fri Jun 14th, 2013, 09:24 PM
I had this same debate and went with the RF1100 after coming from a RF1000. All the reviews I read said the same thing: "Not sure if the X12 is that much better than the RF1100 to justify the price difference"
I was trying to get my hands on a Scorpion EXO R2000, but they weren't available when I bought my Shoei. Looking back, I wish I would have waited for the Scorpion because I hate how Shoei can't develop a fog-free shield!!

I had a scorpion as a back-up helmet and the fog-free worked great!

Clovis
Fri Jun 14th, 2013, 10:17 PM
I have a RF1000 -- great helmet. Light weight and no rider/neck fatique. But it's 5 seasons old now so I'm looking for a new helmet too.

I'm going with the RF1100 personally. That's my vote.

gregr
Sat Jun 15th, 2013, 08:33 AM
I think if I was going to buy a new helmet now, I'd look hard at the GT Air.