PDA

View Full Version : Tempted, very tempted...

Drano
Wed Apr 24th, 2013, 05:30 AM
So, a friend of mine has a 2001 KLX300R that he has rarely ridden since he bought it brand new. I've been helping him get it back in working order after he left it sitting in his garage for 5 years and he's planning on selling it since he never uses it. It literally has less than 100 miles on it, but it got rashed up from a crash he had on his last ride. I'm pretty sure I could take it off his hands for $1500.

I'm really thinking about buying it and making a sumo out of it. I know I can get a street legal kit for it for about $500.00 and do the wheels and tires in due time.
https://www.thumpertalk.com/shop/cart.php?m=search_results&manuf=Baja%20Designs&utm_source=ThumperTalk&utm_medium=Autolink&utm_campaign=Baja%20Designs
http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/200608/2007-kawasaki-klx300r-4_600x0w.jpg
What do you guys think? Should I do it?

Repsol a095
Wed Apr 24th, 2013, 07:38 AM
Making these bike street legal is not too hard, but getting them plated seems like a nightmare. I have heard that there are some who have been able to do it, but the restrictions are getting tougher and tougher.

I would think about a bike that is already plated, or you could just get a drz!

TFOGGuys
Wed Apr 24th, 2013, 09:39 AM
Plating a bike like that is not difficult, as long as you don't try to shortcut the process. Basically, it needs a working headlight, tail light, brake light, DOT approved tires, One mirror (Left side), and a horn audible from 200 feet. Once the bike has the appropriate equipment installed, you need to get a Verified VIN inspection and a Certificate of Equipment Compliance, both of which have to be filled out by a Certified VIN inspector (typically the State Patrol, which does inspections by appointment a couple days a week, and first come first serve on Saturdays). Once you have this paperwork, you take it, a bill of sale or MSO, and your proof of insurance to the county clerk's office, pay your money, and leave with a plate.

NADA shows a blue book value for that bike in average condition at $1260, so it'd have to be pretty cherry to be a deal at $1500.

Drano
Wed Apr 24th, 2013, 01:59 PM
Plating a bike like that is not difficult, as long as you don't try to shortcut the process. Basically, it needs a working headlight, tail light, brake light, DOT approved tires, One mirror (Left side), and a horn audible from 200 feet. Once the bike has the appropriate equipment installed, you need to get a Verified VIN inspection and a Certificate of Equipment Compliance, both of which have to be filled out by a Certified VIN inspector (typically the State Patrol, which does inspections by appointment a couple days a week, and first come first serve on Saturdays). Once you have this paperwork, you take it, a bill of sale or MSO, and your proof of insurance to the county clerk's office, pay your money, and leave with a plate.

NADA shows a blue book value for that bike in average condition at $1260, so it'd have to be pretty cherry to be a deal at $1500.

Cool! Thanks for the information, Jim. I'll definitely adjust my asking price. Now I just need to get the wife on-board. :devious: When I mentioned I was thinking about getting the bike she actually considered it so I'm liking my chances. :)

Zach929rr
Wed Apr 24th, 2013, 02:03 PM
I would just beat the shit out of that on dirt and get something more appropriate for a sumo.

DriverDave
Wed Apr 24th, 2013, 04:32 PM
My friend and I both have 04 KLX300's for trail riding (mechanically, all KLX300's are the same from 97-07). Like others have said, there are far better bikes out there for sumo. But for strictly trail riding in the mountains on technical single-track, there is no better bike!!...IMO

ticktock4792
Wed Apr 24th, 2013, 05:10 PM
i say DO IT!

sciroccojoe
Wed Apr 24th, 2013, 05:55 PM
keep it for dirt. you will have WAY more fun offroad if you already own a street bike.

TFOGGuys
Wed Apr 24th, 2013, 08:06 PM
I agree there are far better platforms for a sumo. Plating a dirtbike has some real advantages when you're trying to connect trails, or you're camping and need to make a beer run...

Drano
Wed Apr 24th, 2013, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the input, guys. I'll definitely still get it plated since there are tons of places I can go around here. I agree that there are better bikes to sumo, but I'll probably still do it just for kicks. It's going to be too much fun to resist. ;)

FZRguy
Thu Apr 25th, 2013, 02:08 AM
I converted and plated a dirt model DRZ, and I agree with the other guys. Would have been a lot easier (and cheaper!) to just buy a street legal sumo. Beware with bill of sale only, you may have to post a bond to get a plate.

Drano
Sat Apr 27th, 2013, 08:16 PM
Well I've decided against buying the bike. Considering the amount of items I would want to buy to make it the way I want, I couldn't justify the expense. I'll just keep saving my money a for few more months and get a DRZ that already has most of the things I want anyway. :)

modette99
Thu May 2nd, 2013, 09:40 AM
I'm guessing everyone is talking because its used to Plate being difficult. My 2012 GasGas EC300 was a breeze bank handled the plating with the MSO *shrug* I did not even need the inspection.

If there is no MSO or Title you will need to post a bond. Of course you could always share a plate if you own another Kawasaki...LOL I have never had a cop check the VIN, and a bike is a bike to 99.99% of the cops out there, a Cop thought my GasGas was a Honda...oh well