PDA

View Full Version : Dragging Pegs

Zanatos
Sun Apr 28th, 2013, 02:31 PM
It's pretty easy to drag a foot peg in a tight turn on my FJR - especially on roads that have an adverse camber (banked the wrong-way).

What is the proper response when you drag a peg? Do you straighten out and stand the bike up a bit? Do you touch the rear brake? Do you clench your sphincter extra hard, apply the throttle and see if you can create an impressive rooster tail of sparks?

buddahson
Sun Apr 28th, 2013, 02:57 PM
If you still have the feelers on take them off. I'm no expert, but I believe that dragging peg on most sport bikes and sport tourers, isn't likely to cause an issue. There's just not enough material on the peg to cause enough friction to upset the bike. I'd just ride it out or straighten slightly if there is room to do so. Now on a Harley or gold wing with the big ass highway perches, it might be a different story.

Wrider
Sun Apr 28th, 2013, 03:40 PM
I just keep steady. The pegs fold for a reason. Just make sure you don't go past the folding capability of the pegs or it gets really interesting really fast... That's why I switched from a cruiser to a sportier bike.

Cornfed
Sun Apr 28th, 2013, 06:13 PM
Clovis has the same problem and I think he said he swaped the pegs out for dirt bike pegs.

Drano
Sun Apr 28th, 2013, 06:24 PM
Yeah, Clovis pretty much drags everything on his FJR. I've seen him throwing sparks on numerous occasions from pegs to pipes.

CHRISTIAN COWBOY
Sun Apr 28th, 2013, 06:53 PM
I heard Chuck Norris even asked Clovis for tips on riding...:dunno:

BC14
Sun Apr 28th, 2013, 07:30 PM
It happens, just hold your line. Either take the feelers off, or decrease your lean angle some in the corners.

mauser72
Sun Apr 28th, 2013, 08:49 PM
I just lighten the weight im putting on the peg and allow it to fold a little

Matty
Sun Apr 28th, 2013, 09:22 PM
Check this out:

http://www.shift-tech-carbon.com/onlineshop/index.php

BC14
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 08:01 PM
Check this out:

http://www.shift-tech-carbon.com/onlineshop/index.php
:think:

jgixxer1
Fri May 3rd, 2013, 04:39 AM
Hang off the bike more and you won't have to lean it as far...

thats what chuck norris would do

Matty
Fri May 3rd, 2013, 07:07 AM
:think:

Whoops meant to post this link... I got these for the Hyper.
http://www.shift-tech-carbon.com/onlineshop/product_info.php?info=p706_ST257-RCT10GT-D02BS-BLACK-SILVER-HYPERMOTARD--ADJUSTABLE-PEG-SET.html

Clovis
Fri May 3rd, 2013, 09:29 AM
The best thing you can do, like chad mentioned is swapping out the pegs. I installed some Motocross pegs on my FJR. Their shorter and curv up. Plus the spikes bite into my boots so there's no slipping off the peg, ie when it's wet.

I also removed my highway pegs after they nearly killed me twice and I also got rid of the kick stand foot plate.

vozproto
Mon May 6th, 2013, 02:19 PM
Ditch the peg feelers +1

And although the FJR is a larger bike you can decrease the lean angle and maintain the
same cornerspeed by getting out of the seat (best way to imagine this is elbows as perpendicular to the bike as possible and kiss the mirror) and then weight the outside peg.

Even works on my big ol' BMW.

tarded400
Sat May 18th, 2013, 02:52 PM
My FJR has suspension work on both ends. Never touched anything down, and I like to lean. I've heard they've very soft from Yamaha- no one will say that about my bike.

texlurch
Tue May 21st, 2013, 03:16 AM
Get off the seat a bit and look at different pegs.

I ran these on my Bandit, and currently on both 12R's.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BILLET-GP-PEGS-REAR-KAWASAKI-ZX-6R-ZX6R-ZX9R-ZX12R-/190833516524?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c6e905fec&vxp=mtr

They give more clearance at full lean, and the top is actually a tad lower so you get a bit more leg room

You can also try adding spring preload to raise it up a bit

Zanatos
Wed May 22nd, 2013, 08:26 AM
If I raise it up, I won't be able to reach the ground. My inseam is only 30" so I'm already on my toes even with the seat in the low position. I'll have to look into those billet pegs. I think they would look good with silver.

Clovis
Wed May 22nd, 2013, 09:02 AM
I love my motocross pegs. We had to grind them down slightly to fit but they rock.