PDA

View Full Version : What's the law on canyon bycicles?

tecknojoe
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 12:01 PM
Just curious, what are the rules for the lance armstrongs out there? Is there a law against them riding side by side? Must move over for faster traffic?

WolFeYeZ
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 12:21 PM
From what I know they have to ride single file on the right except to pass, in which case they pass and get back in single file. On the other hand, you are supposed to give them 5+ feet of space when passing them on the left.

Frankie675
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 12:27 PM
My buddy, who's mom passed away from a motorcycle accident, has become quite the road cyclist over the past years. He's even gotten me onto a road bike this last week......

but we have our own controversy of how I think cyclists are retards for riding on the road they way they do, and he thinks motorists (being a motorcycle or cage) are the problem.

Unfortunately I don't see either side obeying the rules of the road. We're going to continue to go "the speed limit" while having fun because we always obey the law, and they are going to ride single file at all times.

tecknojoe
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 12:29 PM
True, I speed in the canyons sometimes. But not near traffic, and I certainly give plenty of room to bicycles. however, I don't see why we can't be civil to one another when we come together.

Some assholes will just occupy the whole lane and not move. I don't understand the reason for this

Frankie675
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 12:30 PM
*On a side note I was having a little too much fun on lookout mountain when I got busted by a cop. Luckily, he was attempting to catch cyclist's going to fast and wasn't too concerned about my riding. Didn't even run my info. Just told me that cyclists were being stupid on the mountain.

tecknojoe
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 12:31 PM
*On a side note I was having a little too much fun on lookout mountain when I got busted by a cop. Luckily, he was attempting to catch cyclist's going to fast and wasn't too concerned about my riding. Didn't even run my info. Just told me that cyclists were being stupid on the mountain.

BRAVO!! I'm glad to hear police are actually trying to enforce traffic laws for the Lance Armstrongs out there

DemonRider
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 12:31 PM
http://colobikelaw.com/law.php

Might have what your looking for

tecknojoe
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 12:36 PM
interesting. Basically what I get out of this is that 2 abreast is fine, but when other traffic is present and waiting to pass, they need to move over far enough or go single file and move over

Persons riding bicycles or electrical assisted bicycles upon a roadway shall not ride more than two abreast except on paths or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles.
Persons riding bicycles or electrical assisted bicycles two abreast shall not impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic and, on a laned roadway, shall ride within a single lane.

Wrider
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 12:38 PM
Every person riding a bicycle shall have all of the rights and duties applicable to the driver of any other vehicle under this article, except as to special regulations in this article and except as to those provisions which by their nature can have no application. Said riders shall comply with the rules set forth in this section and section 42-4-221, and, when using streets and highways within incorporated cities and towns, shall be subject to local ordinances regulating the operation of bicycles as provided in section 42-4-111.

ANY PERSON OPERATING A BICYCLE UPON A ROADWAY AT LESS THAN THE NORMAL SPEED OF TRAFFIC SHALL RIDE IN THE RIGHT-HAND LANE, SUBJECT TO THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS:
(I) IF THE RIGHT-HAND LANE THEN AVAILABLE FOR TRAFFIC IS WIDE ENOUGH TO BE SAFELY SHARED WITH OVERTAKING VEHICLES, A BICYCLIST SHALL RIDE FAR ENOUGH TO THE RIGHT AS JUDGED SAFE BY THE BICYCLIST TO FACILITATE THE MOVEMENT OF SUCH OVERTAKING VEHICLES UNLESS OTHER CONDITIONS MAKE IT UNSAFE TO DO SO.

PERSONS RIDING BICYCLES UPON A ROADWAY SHALL NOT RIDE MORE THAN TWO ABREAST EXCEPT ON PATHS OR PARTS OF ROADWAYS SET ASIDE FOR THE EXCLUSIVE USE OF BICYCLES.
(b) PERSONS RIDING BICYCLES TWO ABREAST SHALL NOT IMPEDE THE NORMAL AND REASONABLE MOVEMENT OF TRAFFIC AND, ON A LANED ROADWAY, SHALL RIDE WITHIN A SINGLE LANE.

So basically they can legally take up a lane, but are supposed to ride as far right as possible, in single file when possible, but can ride two-up if not on a two lane road.

asp_125
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 12:40 PM
Some of the canyon cyclists descend faster than the Harleys. True!

The way I see it, I've got enough hp to go around cyclists on the next straight, if you're riding well and not being an asshat, I'll even let you draft or take the "line" through the corner. If I have to slow down for 30 seconds on my ride, so what, I'm no more entitled to use the road as you are peddling. It's not going to ruin my day, besides, why wouldn't you want to watch an athletic female in tight lycra.. :D

I don't get all the haterz on both sides; self absorbed riders thinking they own the road. :loser:

Frankie675
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 12:50 PM
BRAVO!! I'm glad to hear police are actually trying to enforce traffic laws for the Lance Armstrongs out there

Yeah It was pretty amazing. I came around the corner going up lookout mountain and seen the cop in the parking lot mid-mountian with the radar pointing right at me. I decided I didn't want to get pulled over so I just pulled into the parking lot next to him. He just walked up and said to be cool and told me about the cyclist problems.

tecknojoe
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 12:50 PM
^ But it's never females :(

and I'm not a self absorbed rider thinking i own the road. I never even ride canyons anymore, I just wanted to know the law. I've had those assholes block an entire lane and even swerve to make passing not possible

06xbss
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 12:57 PM
"share the road" should work both ways. If the cyclist is hugging the white line and in single file then I'll be nice, if not......

asp_125
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 01:02 PM
^ But it's never females :(..

It's usually the fat guy with jelly rolls gasping for air and wobbling all over the road about to have a coronary. :D

Dogsbody
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 02:24 PM
From what I know they have to ride single file on the right except to pass, in which case they pass and get back in single file. On the other hand, you are supposed to give them 5+ feet of space when passing them on the left.

If memory serves, the law says 3 feet.

Fumet5uNo
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 02:25 PM
Yeah the law is +5 if u get them to yell +10 if u get the bird +50 if u can take out a row

Wrider
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 06:05 PM
If memory serves, the law says 3 feet.

Double check what I posted earlier. It says that the bicyclist is responsible for staying far enough right that another vehicle may pass within the same lane at a distance deemed safe by the bicyclist.

Geology Rocks
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 08:04 PM
Double check what I posted earlier. It says that the bicyclist is responsible for staying far enough right that another vehicle may pass within the same lane at a distance deemed safe by the bicyclist.

Bicycles have laws to follow as well.

CRS 42-4-1003(b) The driver of a motor vehicle overtaking a bicyclist proceeding in the same direction shall allow the bicyclist at least a three-foot separation between the right side of the driver's vehicle, including all mirrors or other projections, and the left side of the bicyclist at all times.

BC14
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 08:10 PM
Bicycles have laws to follow as well.

CRS 42-4-1003(b) The driver of a motor vehicle overtaking a bicyclist proceeding in the same direction shall allow the bicyclist at least a three-foot separation between the right side of the driver's vehicle, including all mirrors or other projections, and the left side of the bicyclist at all times.

I may, or may not, provide that gap when they are doing their best 'peloton' impressions :-p

Filo
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 10:55 PM
and I'm not a self absorbed rider thinking i own the road. I never even ride canyons anymore, I just wanted to know the law. I've had those assholes block an entire lane and even swerve to make passing not possible

Just remember - a douche bag is still a douche bag if they are on a bike, bicycle, car or pickup truck. The problem isn't bicyclists. The problem is the douche bags who ride bicycles. And some of them really are giant cock helmets. Many of them are not, though and it is a shame to take out your frustrations on the whole group just because some of them are assholes. Also, if we want the cops to enforce the driving laws, we can't complain when they pull us over for going over the speed limit, passing on double yellows, pulling wheelies out in the middle of nowhere, etc. Unless of course the law only applies to people other than me.

Thrill Hill
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 11:16 PM
You could take this approach to cyclists... http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=dNFaAqS2f18&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DdNFaAqS2f18

AOK303
Tue Apr 30th, 2013, 12:41 AM
ive only done it once to an ass hat called the cops about how he was riding his bike middle lane going 20 under speed limit no attempt to let traffic flow. they had a cop come up lights flashing pull him over. wonder if they towed his bicycle

Penadam
Tue Apr 30th, 2013, 06:23 AM
Only problems I've had its when a car cane into my lane right around a corner while I.was riding the center line, both of us to avoid cyclists riding 2+ wide and using up half the lane. Definitely a pucker moment.

tecknojoe
Tue Apr 30th, 2013, 06:48 AM
Just remember - a douche bag is still a douche bag if they are on a bike, bicycle, car or pickup truck. The problem isn't bicyclists. The problem is the douche bags who ride bicycles. And some of them really are giant cock helmets. Many of them are not, though and it is a shame to take out your frustrations on the whole group just because some of them are assholes. Also, if we want the cops to enforce the driving laws, we can't complain when they pull us over for going over the speed limit, passing on double yellows, pulling wheelies out in the middle of nowhere, etc. Unless of course the law only applies to people other than me.

This thread probly came off as me bitching about bicycles, but all i really wanted to know was the real law. I don't even really ride canyons anymore, and when I do, it's almost at a noob pace. Nate and Damir can attest to my non asshole behavior. I agree the cops should enforce the law for everyone.

Yes I've had those bicycles block traffic before, and no it didn't ruin my day. I can count many more occasions where I've ridden with a stranger that takes off like a maniac

kingtut
Tue Apr 30th, 2013, 07:17 AM
Nate and Damir can attest to my non asshole behavior.

This man speaketh the truth..

Edit: Well Joe's an asshole, for sure. He just reserves his special brand of asshole behavior for when he's not riding.

tecknojoe
Tue Apr 30th, 2013, 07:45 AM
:lol:

GMR
Sat May 11th, 2013, 01:58 AM
To me, everybody riding the canyons whether on a bicycle, motorcycle, longboard, or car (tokyo drifters) is breaking laws. Maybe not everybody, but mostly everybody is breaking speeding laws and theoretically posing dangers to eachother. We just need to all accept the fact and be safe and live and let live