PDA

View Full Version : What tires do you run?

BrianShaw
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 01:13 PM
Given Canyons have turns, I am just curious what tires you run? What tires seem to do the best given normal conditions. IE, Hot and cold days, possibly getting caught in the rain, a little sand and gravel, but still sticky enough to have some safe fun. What compromises do you make?

~Barn~
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 01:19 PM
Michelin Pilot Powers on Gemma and Pirelli Diablo Rosso Corsas on Amy Lou. Both probably overkill (performance wise) for 90% of the riding I do, maybe even 95%. But I like to know that when I need the tires to work as they're intended and I'm pushing the bikes to higher limits of cornering, that they are going to. It's a trust thing.

MarkT
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 01:22 PM
Q2's

Sully
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 01:22 PM
This thread may be helpful - http://cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38422&highlight=tires

I run Michelin Pilot Powers on both of my bikes. Generally I get between 3-4K miles on a rear. I've tried the 2CT's and get about the same mileage and traction. For me, they are plenty sticky and do great on the track and in the rain :) But then again, I'm a :turtle: and slow! :lol: :cry:

kawasakirob
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 01:49 PM
For what you are describing, I would recommend the Dunlop Roadsmart 2's, the Michelin Pilot Road 2's/3's (3's are newer), Bridgestone BT023's, Pirelli Angels or another tire along that line from other manufacturers. They are Sport Touring tires and can handle the criteria mentioned exceptionally well.

BrianShaw
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 01:50 PM
Thanks, I took a look at it, but I was more concearned about street/canyon traction in all conditions vs milage.

I was hoping to hear how these tires hold up in colder temps and possibly wet conditions.

Q2, BT-016, PP 2CT and maybe the BT-003

I was tinking about getting a set of the Q2's.

Ezzzzy1
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 01:53 PM
Q2 Fo Sho!

Everyone is different but if you dont have a preference already Q2s are a great tire for the price.

j0ker
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 01:54 PM
I run the Pilot Road 3's on the 14. They last and grab! I am going to put them on the Vstar next go around too.

JKOL
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 02:03 PM
I have the 2CTs on my Speed Triple, and Q2s on my 600RR. I had the 2CTs on my 600RR before the Q2s. I think the Q2s feel stickier to me, but at my skill level and pace I am far from pushing either tire to the limits. Both seem to wear at about the same rate in my experience. Both tires do just fine in the rain.

WolFeYeZ
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 02:06 PM
Q2s for me. They don't last terribly long (3k miles), but are very sticky. Cost is good too since you can find sets for $210 or so.

Chaos
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 02:09 PM
I run the Pilot Road 3's on the 14. They last and grab! .

Ditto. I love the PR3's. I'm not a track guy and I'm not super aggresive in the canyons, but these tires have never given me the slightest bit of slip even in the wet. Only have maybe 2k miles on mine so far but they still look brand new.

(front tire is fugly though :crazy: )

mdub
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 02:14 PM
Michelin Power Pure...i tried most of what has been mentioned... These are favorite.

One-ops
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 02:17 PM
Just got power pures haven't ran them before though.

mdub
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 02:26 PM
i notice them right off the run when i tore up horse powa hill....it felt real stick-ee in the corners....

funny just the other day....some feg in his mercedes got bent cause i past him going back up...tried to keep up with me....later fag.....

Sully
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 02:27 PM
Thanks, I took a look at it, but I was more concearned about street/canyon traction in all conditions vs milage.

I was hoping to hear how these tires hold up in colder temps and possibly wet conditions.

Q2, BT-016, PP 2CT and maybe the BT-003

I was tinking about getting a set of the Q2's.

I get plenty of traction on the track, street, canyons and in the rain. If you want a stickier tire, more than likely it will cost more and get less mileage, but it depends on how YOU ride. My tires wear out in the middle from commuting back and forth to the canyons well before the sides wear down :rant:

jcj81
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 02:33 PM
Ive got Michelin Power Pure on one bike

and stock Battlax BT-021 on the other

Cornfed
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 02:48 PM
Q2s for me.
Been through several sets as the big Gixxer eats a rear every 2500 miles. But that is spirited canyon riding and track days. I dont commute on it so the tire wears evenly edge to edge. I could probably run two rears for every front but it messes with my head so I always replace them in pairs. I don't ride it in the rain, having said that I have been caught in the rain on them and although I didn't ask much of the tires they seemed OK to me.

Ill also put in a +1 on the PR3s.
If you intend on commuting and have some rain gear the PR3s are unbeatable. I run them on my DRZ and they are unshakeable on the dry, rain, sand, a little mud now and then and yes even the occasional snow. I would be leery running them at the track, but for 90% of the street riding we do they are great.

Jmetz
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 02:52 PM
On the viffer I'll run whatever but on the scooter only Michelin power race will do.

Zach929rr
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 02:57 PM
Everyone here runs $300 sets of tires because they lane bash so hard.

mauser72
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 03:28 PM
For what you seem to be looking for a set of sport touring tires will be your best bet they stick suprisingly well and are designed for all weather conditions tires like the q2 and bt003 have great grip for a street tire but really don't work as well in the wet sport touring tires displace much more water than the "hyper sport" tires do

Grim2.0
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 03:30 PM
Everyone here runs $300 sets of tires because they lane bash so hard.

Don't you run PR3's on the Dizzer?

Aren't those $300 a set?

Zach929rr
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 04:02 PM
Don't you run PR3's on the Dizzer?

Aren't those $300 a set?

Nope.

Last set was shinkos that came in just over $200. Still using the front and picked up a free rear that was punctured.

Drano
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 06:48 PM
PR2s on mine. Unless you're trying to break speed records on the street, PR2s will do everything you ask of them. If you plan on riding street/track you will be better off getting Q2s or the like.

Repsol a095
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 07:25 PM
I run DOTs that are cold and hard!

Grant H.
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 07:25 PM
My plan is street/track so I have a set of Q2s that will be going on the 1k.

If you plan on mostly street and canyons, to include potentially rain, the PR3's on my brothers ZX-14 seem great.

BC14
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 08:05 PM
I've run Contimotions (decent, but not great), but overall Pirelli Angels (ST/GT), Michelin PR2/3, 'Stone BT-023, Dunlop Roadsmart/2 are all going to give you good grip. The PR3 is the best rain tire out there, ATM.

BearcatRR
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 09:17 PM
I usually run a Pirelli Rosso Corsa front and a Rosso II rear.

DemonRider
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 09:24 PM
The new BT 20S Great grip and seem to hold up pretty good so far ----- This Season shall tell the tell

apptwins
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 09:33 PM
Pirelli Angel ST's dual compound. Great all arounder. Be sure you have some heat in your rubber before getting jiggy.

Oh, and warm your tires too.:cheers:

kawasakirob
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 09:36 PM

Just because they are a touring tire does not mean they can't rip the canyon a new one.

BC14
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 09:51 PM
Just because they are a touring tire does not mean they can't rip the canyon a new one.
Exactly. I've yet to feel the need for more grip on the ST tires.

Wrider
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 09:56 PM
I've run Pilot Power 2CTs, Power Pure race takeoffs, Pirelli Angel STs, and am currently running a Pilot Road 2 rear with a 2CT front.

2CTs: Great grip, but get a little skippy if it's below about 30 degrees out. Lasted about what was expected for sport tires.

Power Pure takeoffs: The grip is sublime, but holy crap they wear out fast.

Angel STs: Put it this way, I took them off within 2000 miles before the halo even wore off (means good things for life, however). They grip (I have video of me scraping foot peg on them), but they're numb as hell, especially when you haven't warmed them up THOROUGHLY.

Currently running a Pilot Road 2 and a 2CT front: grips well, definitely doesn't feel as comfortable as the 2CT on both ends, but it works better than I expected. I can keep up with most riders while being lazy and not scooting my butt off of the seat.

TransNone13
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 10:17 PM
CUPs

I'm limited by rear tire size.

PunyJuney
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 10:48 PM
The PR3 is the best rain tire out there.

+1, I've bought 3 pairs and they've been great. I even ran a track day on a set of PR3's.. They're awesome, long wearing, sport touring tires.

Thrill Hill
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 11:42 PM
You can't go wrong with Q2's in the canyons!

MilkMan
Mon Apr 29th, 2013, 11:45 PM
Personally my favorite tires, and the ones that will soon be replacing my crap diablo corsas that came on the bike (just my opinion, don't flame away lol) will again be the pilot power 2ct's. Great grip in all conditions, rain, sleet, dry, damp, hot, or cold, I have never felt more confident on a bike then with those tires. Even when they give and step out the rear, it seems so controllable. I personally did not like the Q2's, felt too squirmy and took far to long to warm up, and again that confidence thing came back into play. Just a few more opinions for ya.
-Mick-

UHATEIT
Tue Apr 30th, 2013, 08:51 AM
Just bought Pilot Road 2 for my SV650 last weekend at Fay Myers. Feels weird with new tires on as I needed to scrub them in and they felt a tad slippery and wobbly, but once I had them warmed up and swaying side to side to scrub them in they feel crazy good. I had heard good things about the Road 2 from reading online that they are awesome in all weather conditions and that with the harder compound in the middle they will last you longer for commuting, driving to the mountains, and on long trips. Depending on your style they are said to last upwards of 10K miles which is a good 3-4 years for me and that made the deal worth it.

The Road 3 is the newer version, but I personally did not like the tread pattern on them and they are pretty hardcore for the wet weather which I don't plan on riding through. Yes rain is unexpected but when it's in the forecast I stay at home. But from what I have heard the Road 2 will still handle like a beast in the rain/snow anyways

Cornfed
Tue Apr 30th, 2013, 08:54 AM
I'm going to try and sum this up for ya. If you plan on doing more than a couple track days on these tires run a super sport tire (Q2, Pilot, Diablo, etc). If not stick with a sport touring tire. The sport touring compounds available today are damn good in the canyons and will hold up to the occassional track day. Unless your name is Wilson, Turpin or Ienatsch you are unlikely to out ride them. PR3s, although ugly, are unbeatable.
IMO

UHATEIT
Tue Apr 30th, 2013, 08:57 AM
PR3s, although ugly, are unbeatable.
IMO

Thats what ultimately made my decision in the end of the Road 2 vs the 3. I have heard the 2 are crazy good and can handle any condition. The 3 was better in the rain but that's not to say the 2 is bad by any means. I just didnt like those crazy looking sipes on the front and rear and went with the 2 on looks alone over the 3.

Nooch
Tue Apr 30th, 2013, 09:09 AM
Even when they give and step out the rear, it seems so controllable. I personally did not like the Q2's, felt too squirmy

Im surprised by this. My Q2s seem very stable as you say the 2CTs are for you. I've lost the rear tire in sand on canyon curves and also in oil on interstate on-ramps and recovered easily. Aside from a pair of Metzelers I had on a ZX6R 7-8 years ago, I have never had more trust in my tires than I do now with the Q2s. Although admittedly, I've never run Pilots on any of my bikes ever. So I certainly can't argue against the 2CT.

Just my $0.02.

PunyJuney
Tue Apr 30th, 2013, 11:03 AM
I've had 3 sets of Q2's and am on my third pair of PR3's and it's the only tire I'm ever going to buy until someone can convince me that they have something better.
Bad weather is unpredictable and we don't get enough of it to warrant spending extra on a tire IMO, however the bonus of better handling in the rain is just a bonus. The tire is great in the canyons and in all temperature conditions from riding all winter in colorado to a track day in Atlanta. Get the 55 on the rear and you'll even tip in to the corners nicer :)

Chaos
Tue Apr 30th, 2013, 11:06 AM
Get the 55 on the rear and you'll even tip in to the corners nicer :)

#1, Exactly what I did.

BrianShaw
Tue Apr 30th, 2013, 11:18 AM
Lots of Good Information. Probably any of the suggested tires would do better than what I have right now.

From everything I have read and everything you all wrote, looks like the Pilot Road 3 or 2 may be the way to go. Although I hope to see more reviews on the Pilot Power 3. The Sportmax Q2 is a great price, but for the cost difference, I may need to go the other route.

BrianShaw
Tue Apr 30th, 2013, 11:37 AM
Do most people here install tires themselves or do you take them to an installer? If you do your own install, do you have any oppinions on Dynabeads for balancing?

mauser72
Tue Apr 30th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Im a firm beleiver in dyna beads they work great I even run them in my race tires(even though they say not to they have always worked great with no problems)

Zach929rr
Tue Apr 30th, 2013, 12:04 PM
Buy the most expensive set you can find.

Safety first!

gregr
Tue Apr 30th, 2013, 01:05 PM
Anyone used the PR2 or 3 on dirt roads? How did they do?

PunyJuney
Tue Apr 30th, 2013, 01:20 PM
RE: Dirt
well it wasn't intentional to ride dirt, but last Saturday I ran the length of Tarryall road from just above Flourisant off 24 to Jefferson off 285. Of the 50 miles of twisties, about 10 miles is paved on either end, with the middle section somewhat questionable. A lot of it was ground up asphalt and one section of it was actually mulch, as in pine trees fresh out of a chipper! My CBR1000RR earned it's ADV sticker that day lol. The tires did fine, but I wouldn't recommend that road. Maybe next year when it's actually paved :)

gregr
Tue Apr 30th, 2013, 01:27 PM
RE: Dirt
well it wasn't intentional to ride dirt, but last Saturday I ran the length of Tarryall road from just above Flourisant off 24 to Jefferson off 285. Of the 50 miles of twisties, about 10 miles is paved on either end, with the middle section somewhat questionable. A lot of it was ground up asphalt and one section of it was actually mulch, as in pine trees fresh out of a chipper! My CBR1000RR earned it's ADV sticker that day lol. The tires did fine, but I wouldn't recommend that road. Maybe next year when it's actually paved :)

Holy smokes - mulch! Hopefully not too deep - as I recall your bike doesn't have a ton of ground clearance. ;-)

Good to hear the tires did well, though - thanks.

Repsol a095
Tue Apr 30th, 2013, 01:28 PM
Buy the most expensive set you can find.

Safety first!

Agreed! I spent $500 on the last set and I have not been down. Well worth it.

deadline
Tue Apr 30th, 2013, 03:15 PM
What about power 2ct on the front and Pilot Road 2 on the back?

Wrider
Tue Apr 30th, 2013, 10:42 PM
What about power 2ct on the front and Pilot Road 2 on the back?

That's what I'm running. Works well. I can keep up with anyone I ride with without even getting off the seat, and chicken strips are about a mm on each side of the rear. Front still gives you plenty of feel. Rear steps out easier than the 2CT does obviously, but re-grabs just fine.

TransNone13
Tue Apr 30th, 2013, 11:15 PM

$500?

The stickiest DOT Michelins are 414$ shipped in the largest sizes (120/70, 200/55)!

Wrider
Tue Apr 30th, 2013, 11:19 PM
$500?

The stickiest DOT Michelins are 414$ shipped in the largest sizes (120/70, 200/55)!

Plus install.

TransNone13
Tue Apr 30th, 2013, 11:20 PM
Plus install.

Eh, he didn't specify.

For some perspective, look at all that juicy tire on the left vs the 180/55 on the right :D. It's damn near impossible to hit the edges without going to the track.

PS

I run VB and B, switched from a rear C to try it out.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-hF2OVrKneWc/UWGfj4flCKI/AAAAAAAAE5I/MacPeWhJ8Tg/w1337-h1003/20130407_092918.jpg

Wrider
Tue Apr 30th, 2013, 11:40 PM
If the snow isn't too bad tomorrow I'll grab some pics of my tires. Pure laziness around a good corner at higher-than-recommended speeds makes it look like I'm actually halfway decent... lol

BrianShaw
Wed May 1st, 2013, 08:22 AM
Pilot Road 3:
http://www.visordown.com/features/michelin-pilot-road-3-1800-mile-tyre-review/18694.html

Pilot Power 3:
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/545/15989/Motorcycle-Article/Michelin-Pilot-Power-3-Tire-Review.aspx

Cornfed
Wed May 1st, 2013, 08:59 AM
$500?

"Those tires are matched perfect and staggered special"

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb390/cdavis981/coletrickle_zpsa4d58d25.png (http://s1203.photobucket.com/user/cdavis981/media/coletrickle_zpsa4d58d25.png.html)

TransNone13
Wed May 1st, 2013, 09:12 AM
I'm going to have to look that up, I don't get the joke.

TFOGGuys
Wed May 1st, 2013, 09:44 AM
Yeah, I've got Power 3s in stock too (120/180, 190/50 and 190/55 readily available, but not stocking yet)...

j0ker
Wed May 1st, 2013, 09:51 AM
"days of thunder"

Cornfed
Wed May 1st, 2013, 09:59 AM

$500?

"Those tires are matched perfect and staggered special"

Allow me to explain. Pretty much everything that Repsola095 runs is take offs. I don't know if he has ever bought a new tire.
Sarcasm doesn't translate to print very well.

Chaos
Wed May 1st, 2013, 10:05 AM
Pilot Road 3:
http://www.visordown.com/features/michelin-pilot-road-3-1800-mile-tyre-review/18694.html

I was looking for that article yesterday to post in here. That's the one that helped me decide to go with the PR3's. For some reason I was looking on youtube thinking it was a video article. durrr

JKOL
Wed May 1st, 2013, 10:06 AM

Days of Thunder reference.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHkM4OUkF8E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIe1KtfpDzw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEPwDIGWYug

BrianShaw
Wed May 1st, 2013, 10:11 AM
That was the article that is swaying me towards the PR3 and this is what sways me away from it.

http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/35444-michelin-pilot-road-3-here-8.html#post410571

TransNone13
Wed May 1st, 2013, 10:15 AM
Allow me to explain. Pretty much everything that Repsola095 runs is take offs. I don't know if he has ever bought a new tire.
Sarcasm doesn't translate to print very well.

Lol, ok I didn't know the back story.

TFOGGuys
Wed May 1st, 2013, 10:25 AM
That was the article that is swaying me towards the PR3 and this is what sways me away from it.

http://www.fz6-forum.com/forum/fz6-general-discussion/35444-michelin-pilot-road-3-here-8.html#post410571

Yeah, I saw that at the time as well. Those tires were found to have been run at less than 20 psi by an independent testing lab. To date, I have heard of no other incidents.

Cornfed
Wed May 1st, 2013, 10:33 AM
Lol, ok I didn't know the back story.

:cheers:

Chaos
Wed May 1st, 2013, 10:45 AM

Interesting. I read the rest of that thread, and it was almost 2 years ago. I agree with some others in that thread about how things don't add up, and that's the only instance I know of anything like that with those tires. Wonder what ultimately came of all of that?

Edit: ahh ok ;)

Yeah, I saw that at the time as well. Those tires were found to have been run at less than 20 psi by an independent testing lab. To date, I have heard of no other incidents.

BrianShaw
Wed May 1st, 2013, 10:52 AM
Still the direction I think I am going to go considering the price of gas. I plan on doing a lot of commuting, and when I go to ride in the canyon, at least 1/3 of the total ride will be on the highway to and from.

I expected it to be an isolated incident, but still made me scratch my head and wonder.

Chaos
Wed May 1st, 2013, 10:58 AM
No doubt....got worried for a second myself. I say go for it, the only complaint I have is the front tire is ugly!! haha

TFOGGuys
Wed May 1st, 2013, 11:05 AM
I've sold literally hundreds of those tires, and I ran a set on an FZ1 for over 10000 miles before I crashed the bike in January. Even on seriously heavy bikes (think 2 up on an FJR1300, in Utah and Arizona, on a 2 week trip that covered almost 7k miles), I've never seen a failure similar to that.

UHATEIT
Wed May 1st, 2013, 11:14 AM
Still the direction I think I am going to go considering the price of gas. I plan on doing a lot of commuting, and when I go to ride in the canyon, at least 1/3 of the total ride will be on the highway to and from.

I expected it to be an isolated incident, but still made me scratch my head and wonder.

No doubt....got worried for a second myself. I say go for it, the only complaint I have is the front tire is ugly!! haha

That's why I went with the Road 2. Still crazy good on commuting, also does not look ugly like the 3 does. You will find nothing bad about the Road 2 either, it's only the model before the 3 and was already a ridiculously good tire in itself

mauser72
Wed May 1st, 2013, 11:25 AM
Looks to me like a serious suspension or geometry problem possibly mixed with wrong pressure tore that tire up from the picture it looks like the center tread is cupped pretty badly that will put some serious load on a tire I dont think you need to worry about tire defects with the pr3

BrianShaw
Wed May 1st, 2013, 11:29 AM
As long as they were not the reason you crashed. What is the going rate to get these with installation? (120/60-17, 180/55-17).

UHATEIT
Wed May 1st, 2013, 12:07 PM
As long as they were not the reason you crashed. What is the going rate to get these with installation? (120/60-17, 180/55-17).

I crashed with Pilot Powers that came on my bike, I his gravel in a lean and panic braked and then stood the bike up and went off the road, that was my noob mistake, Tires weren't the issue.

I just got Pilot Road 2 brand new at Fay Myers last Saturday and had them installed, my tires were worn out and came on the bike when I bought it.

jbnwc
Thu May 2nd, 2013, 01:57 PM
I'm not a fan of Michelin Power Pures AT ALL. I ran them last in 2011 and 2012 in both street and track situations as well as back to back against Power ONE's. Relative to the ONE, the Pures were MUCH more sluggish to turn in. My ZX12 is hard enough to turn, but the Pures made it that much harder. They also did not grip well relative to other tires I've had over the years. Anyone who's followed me around the street or track knows that the Pures basically just pour themselves onto the pavement with the slightest throttle application. I tried different pressures, adjusted the suspension, etc., but just could not get them too hook up. Maybe it's unfair to compare them to race DOT's, but the Pures just refused to grip for me whereas the ONE's rarely if ever slipped.

I'm running Pures in this video and you can tell them I'm sliding horribly out of every corner. You can even see long black streaks coming off in the exits to most corners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f6-NpRjN9c

Metalgearmurder
Sat May 4th, 2013, 03:33 AM
Shinko Apex's this season,
First trackday of the season and I was impressed, although I did have to run some high pressures in the rear to feel stable (42 psi hot) anything below that or above that and I was walking the rear out of almost every hard twisty I came out of.

texlurch
Wed May 15th, 2013, 12:23 AM
Q2 for hooligan mode
Roadsmart II for touring

I am looking at the new Pilot Power 3.. may try them

Didn't like the compounds on the 2CT; in the TX heat they got greasy and slippery when very hot

Pilot Pure carcass was too soft and squirmy on my heavy bike; prob fine on a 600

BT016 had great grip, but I didn't have any feel from them at all. A real numb tire

The Roadsmarts, BT023 or Pilot Roads will work for 99% of riders

Q2 is my favorite backroad blaster tire right now.
Only complaint is slightly heavier turn in, which a couple more PSI helps immensly.

And yes, I've tried quite a few brands, your results may vary!! :)

PlasmaChemist
Wed May 15th, 2013, 01:44 PM
Pilot Road 3's on my previous bike: Speed Triple

Corsa's on my Street Triple R

HOTCARCASS
Wed May 15th, 2013, 03:18 PM
BT 003 I didn't realize there were any others.