PDA

View Full Version : Bike sometimes won't downshift at a stop

GMR
Tue Apr 30th, 2013, 03:50 PM
Occasionally, when I come to a stop I either can't shift back out of neutral-first very well, or downshift into first. What could it be? Bike is new with less than 1000 miles on it
I know I probably need to take it to a good mechanic for a maintenenace check (what is it, like first 600 miles or so?). Any suggestions for a good Kawasaki mechanic?

madvlad
Tue Apr 30th, 2013, 03:53 PM
Check your shift linkage to make sure it's positioned and tightned down properly.

asp_125
Tue Apr 30th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Are you already in neutral? Simply clutch out and back in, and try shifting again.

ticktock4792
Tue Apr 30th, 2013, 04:59 PM
Are you already in neutral? Simply clutch out and back in, and try shifting again.:up:

Grim2.0
Tue Apr 30th, 2013, 05:33 PM
Are you already in neutral? Simply clutch out and back in, and try shifting again.

What he said or try moving the bike forward or backward a 1/2 a foot or so.

Nooch
Tue Apr 30th, 2013, 06:52 PM
This was a constant problem for me with my 250 as well (although mine was a 2000). Last I saw you plan to sell the bike soon. Just stick it out. The linkage is a notorious pain in the arse and it won't affect resale.

asp_125
Tue Apr 30th, 2013, 07:00 PM
Some bikes are finicky about oil level, too. My Suzukis would shift rough if there was too much oil or too little.

GMR
Tue Apr 30th, 2013, 07:29 PM
Thanks guys, hopefully the clutch suggestion and moving the bike a foot forward or backwards does the trick. It really sucks wanting to throw it in neutral to stretch at a red light, but being afraid to do so because I might hold up traffic trying to get it in gear. Shift linkage is taut

same thing--ish happening to my car now too, nothing but double clutching for the time being. Flat tire, transmission problem on bike then car. Trouble comes in 3's, hopefully I on't have to deal with any more BS for a while

Dogsbody
Tue Apr 30th, 2013, 08:25 PM
Think I had the same problem on my Streetfighter. There's probably a bit of air in the clutch line. Just pull in your lever, crack the bleeder and you should see some air bubbles come out.

Aaron
Tue Apr 30th, 2013, 10:57 PM
A lot of bikes will do this moreso when new, and after a few thousand miles will start to loosen up as the parts develop wear patterns. Don't be surprised if the bike wears into being a lot better as time goes on.

As for the car, that's fairly common. Make sure the clutch is in all of the way, and when it won't go into 1st, put it in 3rd, then 4th, then try 1st again and that'll usually get it as it lines up the synchros.

LambeauXLIV
Wed May 1st, 2013, 10:07 AM
When I need to shift from N to 1st, I roll the bike forward as I do so. I found it makes it a lot smoother.

Rabbie303
Wed May 1st, 2013, 10:49 AM
Some bikes are finicky about oil level, too. My Suzukis would shift rough if there was too much oil or too little.

My Sv650 will do that towards end of season usually when I need an oil change. After fresh oil it doesn't seem to do that.

UHATEIT
Wed May 1st, 2013, 11:21 AM
What he said or try moving the bike forward or backward a 1/2 a foot or so.

I have to do this from time to time, gets stuck in gear when at a stop and cannot get it from 2nd down to 1st.

willb003
Sat May 4th, 2013, 11:18 AM
Change the oil

sag
Sat May 4th, 2013, 06:42 PM
all my bikes have done and do this, never paid much mind to it. could barely get my honda to downshift through the gears at a stop to first smoothly after doing stoppies.

Samko
Wed May 29th, 2013, 02:23 PM
Think I had the same problem on my Streetfighter. There's probably a bit of air in the clutch line. Just pull in your lever, crack the bleeder and you should see some air bubbles come out.

:no:

Titus
Wed May 29th, 2013, 03:35 PM

Bingo, I had the same problem on my Streetfighter, & I was gonna suggest the same:
Bleed the clutch.