PDA

View Full Version : Trouble with rev matching on downshifts

radicalwillie
Tue May 7th, 2013, 03:59 PM
Hey all,
New member here, trying to get the hang of matching revs when downshifting... "trying" being the key word. I have read several tutorials and watched numerous youtube vids on this technique, and I am still unclear of the timing.

1. When you first squeeze the clutch lever, are you rolling off the throttle, or keeping it where it is?

2. Does the throttle blip happen just before the shift, during the shift, or immediately after the shift while letting the clutch lever out?

Any other tips you can offer would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!

asp_125
Tue May 7th, 2013, 04:11 PM
1. Think about how you normally downshift, no blip. Same way.
2. The blip happens when the clutch is pulled in, and before its let out. The shift happens somewhere in between, while the revs are up and before the clutch is let out.

Not an exact science, just takes practice to be smooth.

Grim2.0
Tue May 7th, 2013, 04:13 PM
Hey all,
New member here, trying to get the hang of matching revs when downshifting... "trying" being the key word. I have read several tutorials and watched numerous youtube vids on this technique, and I am still unclear of the timing.

1. When you first squeeze the clutch lever, are you rolling off the throttle, or keeping it where it is?

2. Does the throttle blip happen just before the shift, during the shift, or immediately after the shift while letting the clutch lever out?

Any other tips you can offer would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!

I have just recently learned how to do this, this past fall. I blip the throttle just before letting the clutch back out, as far as revs I just do it by feel, I don't get too heavy. Wish i could offer more advice but there are people on here that can answer it a lot more in depth.

Mother Goose
Tue May 7th, 2013, 04:15 PM
I just do it as one fluid motion. Clutch in first, blip and shift at the same time and let the clutch out. It just takes practice. I can't remember if I roll off the throttle when I do it or not. It's just second nature, that it's all one motion that you don't really think about.

Mother Goose
Tue May 7th, 2013, 04:19 PM
Now that I think about it, I think I roll off the throttle while engaging the brake, pull in the clutch, blip and shift at the same time, then let the clutch out. But I could be wrong. :lol:

radicalwillie
Tue May 7th, 2013, 04:27 PM
First, thanks to all for the replies!

What throws me is watching the pros do it on you tube. It happens so fast, I can't trace the order. Also, I never hear them let off the throttle when they clutch, which is opposite of the way I learned to operate a clutch.

Maybe a better question for me to ask in regards to the throttle blip, what exactly is the purpose of the "blip"? Does it make the actual gear engagement smoother, or is it done post shift to minimize an agressive deceleration when the clutch lever is let out.

Grim2.0
Tue May 7th, 2013, 04:38 PM
post shift to minimize an agressive deceleration when the clutch lever is let out.

This one

Mother Goose
Tue May 7th, 2013, 04:38 PM
First, thanks to all for the replies!

What throws me is watching the pros do it on you tube. It happens so fast, I can't trace the order. Also, I never hear them let off the throttle when they clutch, which is opposite of the way I learned to operate a clutch.

Maybe a better question for me to ask in regards to the throttle blip, what exactly is the purpose of the "blip"? Does it make the actual gear shift smoother, or is it done post shift to minimize an agressive deceleration when the clutch lever is let out.
It is a fast, fluid, smooth motion when you do it right. It's hard to see all that's going on in a video unless you slow it down and have all the elements synced on the video.

It's to rev match the engine so it's a smoother downshift, instead of dumping the clutch at 3k rpm and wait for the engine to catch up when it wants to be at 8k in that particular gear.

radicalwillie
Tue May 7th, 2013, 04:49 PM
Ok, this answers a lot. Thanks guys!

Grim2.0
Tue May 7th, 2013, 05:00 PM
Ok, this answers a lot. Thanks guys!

Best thing I can say is practice, took me a week of riding to work (few stop lights) to nail it down but once you do it is nice to have a smooth transition and not have to grip the crap out of the tank so you don't rack your nuts. Also comes very very very very handy when you have a passenger :up:

radicalwillie
Tue May 7th, 2013, 05:03 PM
Also comes very very very very handy when you have a passenger :up:

Agreed, I ride 2-up most of the time. Now that I know the order, I think I will have an easier time with it. Thanks again!

buddahson
Tue May 7th, 2013, 05:09 PM
Also, keep in mind that Pro's may or may not use quickshifters. Quickshifters cut fuel, spark or both to reduce or eliminate the need to use the clutch when shifting. Depending on your view when watching the pro's, this could make it more difficult to tell what exactly they are doing.

Mother Goose's responses reflect what I do as well so I don't have anything to add there.

tecknojoe
Tue May 7th, 2013, 05:11 PM
Note that if you're practicing at low RPMs (in a parking lot or something), it requires less hard of a "blip". For some reason I find it a lot easier when I downshift at higher RPMs

In the street you don't even really need to blip, but it doesn't hurt to learn it. It took me most of my first summer to actually get it pretty consistently in every gear, at all RPMs. Just keep at it

radicalwillie
Tue May 7th, 2013, 05:12 PM
Also, keep in mind that Pro's may or may not use quickshifters. Quickshifters cut fuel, spark or both to reduce or eliminate the need to use the clutch when shifting. Depending on your view when watching the pro's, this could make it more difficult to tell what exactly they are doing.

Mother Goose's responses reflect what I do as well so I don't have anything to add there.
Good point. I think I know what got me confused. In my mind, I was comparing this technique to clutch-less upshifting. I was thinking about the purpose of rapidly backing off the throttle to "unload" the gears, allowing the shift to happen. I thought the blip was accomplishing the same task when decelerating, unloading the gears to allow the shift to occur, so I was doing it pre shift.

radicalwillie
Tue May 7th, 2013, 05:14 PM
Note that if you're practicing at low RPMs (in a parking lot or something), it requires less hard of a "blip". For some reason I find it a lot easier when I downshift at higher RPMs

In the street you don't even really need to blip, but it doesn't hurt to learn it. It took me most of my first summer to actually get it pretty consistently in every gear, at all RPMs. Just keep at it

Agreed. Do most people use this technique when going from 2nd to first?

FZRguy
Tue May 7th, 2013, 05:36 PM
I never use 1st gear for canyon or track riding, so no.

tecknojoe
Tue May 7th, 2013, 06:00 PM
I never use first either. Go from second into neutral when coming to a stop. Only use 1st when going from a stand still

Zach929rr
Tue May 7th, 2013, 06:05 PM
You guys and your unmolested gear boxes that actually go from 2nd to neutral.

asp_125
Tue May 7th, 2013, 07:10 PM
Take out your owner's manual and look at the recommended shift points. If they don't say RPM, then ride at the recommended speed and gear, and note the RPM. That is a good recommendation of when to shift and blip.

radicalwillie
Wed May 8th, 2013, 05:48 AM
I never use 1st gear for canyon or track riding, so no.

I never use first either. Go from second into neutral when coming to a stop. Only use 1st when going from a stand still

I agree with that when I am riding solo, but 2-up is a different story. My bike weighs about 560 (VFR w/ABS) add that with a combined rider weight of about 300 at just over 100 hp. Once I drop below about 12 mph, in an uphill situation, I have to go to first or it lugs the engine way too bad when I attempt to accelerate.

FZRguy
Wed May 8th, 2013, 02:58 PM
True, but you are going so slow that a blip is not needed from 2nd to 1st.