PDA

View Full Version : Local UFC Fighter Shane Carwin retires from MMA

bulldog
Wed May 8th, 2013, 09:52 AM
Well it is finally official; one of the greatest Colorado fighters retired :(

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mma/2013/05/07/ufc-shane-carwin-retirement/2143283/

Approaching two years since his last fight, former UFC interim heavyweight champion Shane Carwin on Tuesday announced his retirement from MMA.

Carwin (12-2 MMA, 4-2 UFC) leaves the sport on a two-fight skid, but more importantly after fighting through injuries and surgeries.

Carwin posted on his Twitter account late Tuesday: "Officially retired 2day:-) thank you to my family, friends and fans! #dreambig GOD BLESS!!!"

http://www.gannett-cdn.com/media/USATODAY/USATODAY/2013/05/07/carwin-4_3_r536_c534.jpg?1b79b3da202957124496e3768cfb7b67 cdb10c81

bulldog
Wed May 8th, 2013, 03:36 PM
Damn nobody cared about Shane huh :dunno: No support for the locals :(

I should have just made a gun post :squid:

~Barn~
Wed May 8th, 2013, 03:40 PM
:lol:
What do you want us to do, hold a vigil?

madvlad
Wed May 8th, 2013, 03:54 PM
The dude isn't dead :lol:

bulldog
Wed May 8th, 2013, 04:16 PM
The dude isn't dead :lol: Yeah I guess losing out on your career from injuries is no big deal to you guys.

Not expected attitude by you Damir :(

j0ker
Wed May 8th, 2013, 04:27 PM
Too bad to see his dream die. Injuries are HARD to recover from.

madvlad
Wed May 8th, 2013, 04:28 PM
I was referring to the vigil comment, should've quoted. I know what is like to give up what your passion is, the dude did his thing and thanfully retired in one piece.

Jmetz
Wed May 8th, 2013, 04:38 PM
http://drsuraiyanasim.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/animated_candle2.gif

bulldog
Wed May 8th, 2013, 05:05 PM
Too bad to see his dream die. Injuries are HARD to recover from. Yeah you understand! These guys work their asses off to get to the big time and a few injuries takes away their dreams. I really was hoping he came back since he hosted The Ultimate Fighter too.

I was referring to the vigil comment, should've quoted. I know what is like to give up what your passion is, the dude did his thing and thanfully retired in one piece.
Oh my bad....I apologize. I just know it has to suck for Shane, but better to see him retire now than be crippled down the line.

At least he made bank when he could, but I will miss seeing him fight,

madvlad
Wed May 8th, 2013, 05:12 PM
Never saw him fight unfortunately though but heard crazy things about him.... plus do you even lift bro? psssh!

PsychoMike
Thu May 9th, 2013, 07:30 AM
We Gaines another Colorado fighter to take his place though Brandon thatch signed a multi fight deal

bulldog
Thu May 9th, 2013, 07:58 AM
We Gaines another Colorado fighter to take his place though Brandon thatch signed a multi fight deal Nice :up: Another one out of Grudge! My buddy is good friends with Cody Donovan out of there who made his UFC debut back in December and won; he actually was slated to fight in the last UFC card if a fighter didn't get cleared, but Cody didn't end up getting to fight afterall. I'll be routing for Brandon Thatch as well now :rock:

More on Thatch and that deal http://www.mmajunkie.com/news/2013/05/ufc-signs-colorado-based-welterweight-brandon-thatch-to-multi-fight-deal

~Barn~
Thu May 9th, 2013, 09:16 AM
Not only did Cody win his fight in his UFC debut, he won FotN honors!

I never used to like him personally, because he used to talk a lot of [Myspace] shit about Grappler's Edge back in the day, but of course we always crushed the other teams in tourneys.

Anyhow... I'm a fan of him now, and wish him great success as he pursues his proper MMA career. It's neat to say that you've competed against a kid who's trying to make his name in the UFC! =)

bulldog
Thu May 9th, 2013, 09:44 AM
We Gaines another Colorado fighter to take his place though Brandon thatch signed a multi fight deal Damn, asked my buddy and guess he is friends with Brandon Thatch too.....freaking guy knows everyone in the MMA world it seems...lucky guy :lol:

On a related note my buddies brother got accepted to fight in the BJJ Metamoris II tournement on June 9th...pretty cool UFC let him do this http://metamoris.com/ Shows some love for another local fighter as he grapples a pretty decorated fighter, Roberto “Cyborg” Abreu!!!!!

PsychoMike
Thu May 9th, 2013, 10:04 AM
Not only did Cody win his fight in his UFC debut, he won FotN honors!

I never used to like him personally, because he used to talk a lot of [Myspace] shit about Grappler's Edge back in the day, but of course we always crushed the other teams in tourneys.

Anyhow... I'm a fan of him now, and wish him great success as he pursues his proper MMA career. It's neat to say that you've competed against a kid who's trying to make his name in the UFC! =)

I just met Sheldon Mar the other day

~Barn~
Thu May 9th, 2013, 10:15 AM
The Marr family is awesome. Sheldon, Nuss, Wonhof, and the other witches at G.E. taught me everything I know about submission grappling.

I wish I wasn't an old, family man these days... It'd be fun to take it back to the mat again. Sigh....

~Barn~
Thu May 9th, 2013, 10:20 AM
PRESS RELEASE:

Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 20:09:40 -0400
To: itsbarn@hotmail.com (itsbarn@hotmail.com)
Subject: 2013 U.S. WORLD GRAPPLING TEAM TRIALS!!!

Brandon,

Team Edge proves once again to be one of the top Grappling Teams in the country by winning more medals (AND MORE GOLD MEDALS) than any other team in the nation at the 2013 U.S. World Grappling Team Trials, held on April 18-20, 2031 at the Las Vegas Convention Center, Las Vegas, NV.

By capturing the Gold in their weight classes, Bahar Shahidi, Veronica Graves, Will Durkee, Shane Cross, Eric Brennan and Brandon Ruiz will be representing Team Edge & the United States in the No-Gi Division at the 2013 FILA World Grappling Championships in London, Canada, June 12-15, 2013... and Veronica Graves and Aaron Yoches will represent Team Edge and the United States in the Gi Division!!!

Team Results:

53KG: Bahar Shahidi - GOLD:

2007 World Silver Medalist & 2009 World Bronze Medalist Bahar Shahidi wins 2 forfeit matches over 2009 World 5th place Shasta McMurray. Bahar will represent Team Edge & the U.S. in the No-Gi Division at the 2013 World Championships!!!

58KG Veronica Graves - GOLD + GOLD:

A new addition to Team Edge is U.S. Judo Champion Veronica Graves! Veronica won two matches by submission against 2012 U.S World Team Member & World Bronze Medalist Gabriella Foster in the No-Gi Division, and wins two forfeit matches over Gabriella Foster in the No-Gi Division (due to injury sustained in the No-Gi)... Veronica will represent Team Edge, the U.S. Olympic Training Center Judo Team & the U.S. in BOTH Gi & No-Gi at the 2013 World Championships!!!

62KG Jay Rea - BRONZE:

Jay got down to 136lbs for the first time, and lost a couple of close matches to U.S. Greco-Roman Star John Holt (Brazilian Top Team, OR) & Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Standout John Cicio (American Top Team, FL). Jay looked very good for his first tournament at this level!!!

66KG Nick Marr - BRONZE:

2012 U.S. World Team Member & World 5th place (in both Grappling & Amateur MMA) Nick Marr had 3 beautiful submission wins in the tournament, and also had probably the most exciting and most controversial Semi-Final match against UFC Star John Albert of Victory Athletics (WA). In this back and forth match (between perhaps 2 of the most skilled Grapplers in the competition) Nick mounted John, but somehow the technique was overlooked by the referee. So instead of winning the match by 2 points, Nick lost by 1. Nick will be an Alternate on the U.S. Grappling Team, and will compete in the MMA World Team Trials in LA in 2 weeks to hopefully represent Team Edge & the U.S. in the MMA Division at the World Championships!!!

71KG Mitch Peterson & Andre Christy:

Mitch & Andre both looked very good in their first Grappling tournament at this level. Both won 2 or 3 matches against tough competitors! Mitch lost against eventual Gold Medalist Jayson Patino (American Top Team, FL), and Andre lost to eventual Silver Medalist Patrick Benson of Victory Athletics, WA). Andre probably needs to drop to 66KG, and Mitch needs to concern himself more with the point values in these events, and both will be very successful!!!

77KG Will Durkee - GOLD + SILVER:

Another great addition to our 2013 Team is former D1 Wrestler and BJJ Brown Belt Will Durkee... Will walked through his very tough division, then had a 1-0 overtime win in an absolute war with Johnny Nunez of Drysdale Jiu Jitsu (with former UFC Champion Kevin Randleman in his corner)... Will will represent Team Edge & the U.S. in the No-Gi Division at the 2013 World Championships, and is the Alternate in the Gi Division as well!!!

84KG Shane Cross - GOLD:

2012 U.S. World Team Member & World Silver Medalist Shane "The Boss" Cross won in style!!! Shane swept his division with submissions, decisive wins, and 2 overtime wins! In the Semi-Finals Shane beat UFC Veteran Dennis Hallman (Victory Athletics, WA), which is no easy task... Dennis actually has 2 MMA Submission wins over UFC Hall of Famer Matt Hughes!!! In the finals, Shane got his second overtime win over his friend and former U.S. Team Member and former World Silver Medalist Mike Kelly (Old School Wrestling, IL). Shane will represent Team Edge & the U.S. in the No-Gi Division at the 2013 World Championships!!!

92KG Eric Brennan - GOLD:

Eric was in our Team Edge Wrestling Program when he was in high school, and know that he's out of college, he's back in our Grappling Program! Although Eric gave up 20lbs to some of his competitors, he went undefeated in this event, and even beat out 2012 U.S. Team Member & World Bronze Medalist Daniel Huber (American Pankration, AZ) in the the Finals 3-2... Eric will represent Team Edge & the U.S. in the No-Gi Division at the 2013 World Championships!!!

100KG Aaron Yoches - GOLD + SILVER:

Former Fight To Win National Champ Aaron Yoches moved down to the 100KG Category and had 2 impressive submission victories in the Gi Division, including his final match against former U.S. Sombo Team Member Jeff Zastrow (Air Force Wrestling Club) in 2:45... Aaron will represent Team Edge & the U.S. in the Gi Division at the 2013 World Championships, & is the Alternate in the No-Gi Division as well!!!

+100KG Brandon Ruiz - GOLD:

3X U.S World Grappling Team Member, 3X World Finalist & 2011 World Grappling Champion Brandon Ruiz showed all at the Las Vegas Convention Center what happens when great power and great technique come together! Brandon won the tournament with all submissions including a 0:33 submission win in the Finals against Joel Bane(Air Force Wrestling Club)! Brandon will represent Team Edge & the U.S. (for the 4th time) in the No-Gi Division at the 2013 World Championships, and will be going for his 2nd World Title!!!

Medal Count:
Team EDGE: 12 (8 GOLDS)
American Pankration: 07 (1 GOLD)
American Top Team: 04 (3 GOLD)
Air Force Wrestling Club: 03
Victory Athletics: 02 (1 GOLD)
Stable Jiu Jitsu: 02 (1 GOLD)
Modern Day Gladiators: 01 (1 GOLD)
Brazilian Top Team: 01 (1 GOLD)
Alliance Orlando BJJ: 01 (1GOLD)
UFC Gym: 01 (1 GOLD)
Navy: 01 (1 GOLD)
University of Grappling: 01
Old School Wrestling: 01
Drysdale Jiu Jitsu: 01
Two-Nine MMA: 01
Boxing Inc: 01
Texas: 01

This was Team Edge's 17th National Grappling (or Jiu Jitsu) Team Title in 18 years, and "Coach" Sheldon Marr has been asked to coach the U.S. World Team at the FILA World Grappling Championships for the 7th year in a row!
GO TEAM EDGE!!!

bulldog
Thu May 9th, 2013, 10:21 AM
I just met Sheldon Mar the other day I just met Eliot Marshal the other day when I was at Easton's....nice guy

j0ker
Thu May 9th, 2013, 10:36 AM
The Marr family is awesome. Sheldon, Nuss, Wonhof, and the other witches at G.E. taught me everything I know about submission grappling.

I wish I wasn't an old, family man these days... It'd be fun to take it back to the mat again. Sigh....

I am an old guy and a family man. I still love "taking it" to the youngsters....

You can't be that old!

~Barn~
Thu May 9th, 2013, 10:39 AM
Eric Koble (of G.E.) and Amal Easton used to battle back in their hayday! Eric always had his number, but they were fun matches to watch.

Here's one of their many awards presentations...
http://www.pancrase.us/pictures/pancrase2005tourney_056.jpg

bulldog
Thu May 9th, 2013, 10:40 AM
I am an old guy and a family man. I still love "taking it" to the youngsters....

You can't be that old! Yup, best shape of my life at 34 (nearly 35). Same as you I love taking it to the youngsters at my gym (lifting/fitness though, not MA). Age isn't nothing but a number...conditioning/hard work!

~Barn~
Thu May 9th, 2013, 10:48 AM

You can't be that old!

36 in a few more days man! My prime thesedays is teaching my younglings to play catch and watch the ball all the way to their glove! :lol: That doesn't mean I can't put the stamp down on little gym-rat meatheads anymore, but competing at a national level again, would take some doing!

Maybe when they are older (if they have grappling ambitions) I'll get back into it for the conditioning aspect. I'd be a proud papa indeed to see any of them hit the HS Wrestling mat, or represent "The Gentle Art". :yes:

Here's a couple of me (with a fuller head of hair), collecting some hardware in weightclasses that I had no business being in!

http://www.pancrase.us/pictures/div_6.jpg

http://www.pancrase.us/pictures/div13.jpg

j0ker
Thu May 9th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Which one is you?

I turn 45 in 3 months. I am not in the best shape of my life, but my skill is most definitely better than it has ever been. Injuries at this age suck though!

bulldog
Thu May 9th, 2013, 11:00 AM
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTRvEht-BpSWqBIqlnuiD-JEOVZmK7hwFUnWUTOMyZbfegYrM8Psw

~Barn~
Thu May 9th, 2013, 11:02 AM
Which one is you?

I turn 45 in 3 months. I am not in the best shape of my life, but my skill is most definitely better than it has ever been. Injuries at this age suck though!

White Gi pants.

j0ker
Thu May 9th, 2013, 11:04 AM
White Gi pants.

That is an awfully big smile you are wearing there. :)

~Barn~
Thu May 9th, 2013, 11:10 AM
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTRvEht-BpSWqBIqlnuiD-JEOVZmK7hwFUnWUTOMyZbfegYrM8Psw

This is true Nate, but some of us would rather look at memories of our own highlight reel, than hear more stories about how I met this one dude.... or about how our buddy knows this guy... ;)

That is an awfully big smile you are wearing there. :)

True... true.

I wasn't too bummed about losing that final, because it was to another guy that game out of the G.E. gym. Rocco Alberti, I believe his name is. Rocco was a stud though; he used to submit Cody on the regular.

bulldog
Thu May 9th, 2013, 11:15 AM

This is true Nate, but some of us would rather have memories of our own highlight reel, than stories about how I met this one dude.... or about how our buddy knows this guy...

;) I live in present and in best shape of my life buddy.....don't hate...I make memories/highlight reels that are just a different than you...everyone is different :)

I've always given you props on your BJJ skills, but you seem to forget I have 6+ years in wrestling (over 20 medals/trophies), MA taught to me by father and uncles all my life (all black belts), more fistfight I can count, excellent conditioning/strength, so I am more than a gym rat. All in all it is all good man as I don't need to impress people...just am who I am and happy about that. One thing I won't do is argue with you old buddy....so I'll take the high road again on this and say once again "props on your BJJ skills....I do wish I had that under my belt, but I am starting."

j0ker
Thu May 9th, 2013, 11:16 AM

This is true Nate, but some of us would rather have memories of our own highlight reel, than stories about how I met this one dude.... or about how our buddy knows this guy...

;)

Talk about stories....

I sat on Chuck Norris's lap one time in OKC at a tournament we went to. I was like 9 and his son Aaron was there and were were playing around. He asked if I wanted to meet his dad and WOW.... I did not know his dad was Chuck Norris. That being said, and no matter what he has done lately, he was a very nice inspiring martial artist at the time.

I have also shared a 1st class seat row with Stone Cold Steve Austin. That guy is nothing but very very nice. Totally surprising.

~Barn~
Thu May 9th, 2013, 11:21 AM
I live in present and in best shape of my life buddy.....don't hate...I make memories/highlight reels that are just a different than you...everyone is different :)

I've always given you props on your BJJ skills, but you seem to forget I have 6+ years in wrestling (over 20 medals/trophies), MA taught to me by father and uncles all my life (all black belts), more fistfight I can count, excellent conditioning/strength, so I am more than a gym rat. All in all it is all good man as I don't need to impress people...just am who I am and happy about that. One thing I won't do is argue with you old buddy....so I'll take the high road again on this and say once again "props on your BJJ skills....I do wish I had that under my belt, but I am starting."

Respect. I thought you were taking a little dig at me with your picture comment, but no harm-no foul. You do put in your work on the daily, more than anybody I know. :up:

bulldog
Thu May 9th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Respect. I thought you were taking a little dig at me with your picture comment, but no harm-no foul. You do put in your work on the daily, more than anybody I know. :up: All good, only did it because of the dig on the "gym meathead comment" I figured was to me :lol: . In ways we are alike a lot and hate being disrespected (and highly competitive) and this is why we have feuded over the years. All in all I do respect your BJJ and knowledge of it as you are one of the few guys that loves it as much or more than me :up:

P.S. Plus I know you are like me and it gives you the push you may need to get back to Grapplers Edge as I know how much you miss it!

j0ker
Thu May 9th, 2013, 11:30 AM
All good, only did it because of the dig on the "gym meathead comment" I figured was to me :lol: . In ways we are alike a lot and hate being disrespected (and highly competitive) and this is why we have feuded over the years. All in all I do respect your BJJ and knowledge of it as you are one of the few guys that loves it as much or more than me :up:

From what I have read and can tell you love MMA but have only wrestled and lifted. What is stopping you from joining a JJ gym or any martial training hall? I might just be totally wrong here with my "facts" about your skills. But, there seem to be a lot of pretty decent places to throw down around here. I am just surprised you are not actively training in MA at one of them.

Again, sorry if I am waaaay off the mark here. :)

bulldog
Thu May 9th, 2013, 11:54 AM
From what I have read and can tell you love MMA but have only wrestled and lifted. What is stopping you from joining a JJ gym or any martial training hall? I might just be totally wrong here with my "facts" about your skills. But, there seem to be a lot of pretty decent places to throw down around here. I am just surprised you are not actively training in MA at one of them.

Again, sorry if I am waaaay off the mark here. :)
It has a lot to do with what Barn said, I just feel I am a bit old to start it now; and really hate not being the best at what I do (and afraid of injuries). Plus the cost is high and I am saving up for a wedding and new house in the next year. Even one month at Eastons is $150; compared to my $19 gym membership. Last I really am passionate about bodybuilding and I really fear all the BJJ cardio would make me lose the muscle it has taken years for me to accomplish and I hate to throw away that goal....you know it's all a science to build muscle and I have to teeter my cardio as it is. Believe me I've thought of it many times and done some free classes, but I know if I get into it, it will be hardcore and I wouldn't do less than three days a week and then I'd have to juggle lifting on top of that (to hopefully keep what I could). As it is my fiancée and I have different work schedules and don't get to spend a lot of time together as it is, so I hate to take up another "hobby" to take time away. She is #1 in my life so I value my time with her and would never put anything in front of her to dampen our great relationship.

So it all comes down to what I am more passionate about and since I have done the bodybuilding so long it is something I hate giving up; plus I like helping others now do it which gives me a lot of pleasure. I was a skinny guy most my life (135lbs) so this was a huge goal to get where I didn't feel like the skinny week guy as I did most my life….so maybe psychological too as I am not the most sane guy :lol:

I do give you guys props though that do it….like I said I guess just different goals for different people. Still is not out off the cards though 

P.S. And I know I come off as all over Brendan Schaub's dick, but really it has way more to do that his brother is one of my best friends and I just want to support him as a good friend; loyalty means a lot to me in friendships. I'd rout for Brendan even if he lost the next 5 fights....and mainly because his brother is a good friend to me and I know how much he cares about Brendan. Plus it is like getting a small glimpse into the UFC world where I never would have had that chance.

j0ker
Thu May 9th, 2013, 01:43 PM
It has a lot to do with what Barn said, I just feel I am a bit old to start it now; and really hate not being the best at what I do (and afraid of injuries). Plus the cost is high and I am saving up for a wedding and new house in the next year. Even one month at Eastons is $150; compared to my $19 gym membership. Last I really am passionate about bodybuilding and I really fear all the BJJ cardio would make me lose the muscle it has taken years for me to accomplish and I hate to throw away that goal....you know it's all a science to build muscle and I have to teeter my cardio as it is. Believe me I've thought of it many times and done some free classes, but I know if I get into it, it will be hardcore and I wouldn't do less than three days a week and then I'd have to juggle lifting on top of that (to hopefully keep what I could). As it is my fiancée and I have different work schedules and don't get to spend a lot of time together as it is, so I hate to take up another "hobby" to take time away. She is #1 in my life so I value my time with her and would never put anything in front of her to dampen our great relationship.

So it all comes down to what I am more passionate about and since I have done the bodybuilding so long it is something I hate giving up; plus I like helping others now do it which gives me a lot of pleasure. I was a skinny guy most my life (135lbs) so this was a huge goal to get where I didn't feel like the skinny week guy as I did most my life….so maybe psychological too as I am not the most sane guy :lol:

I do give you guys props though that do it….like I said I guess just different goals for different people. Still is not out off the cards though 

P.S. And I know I come off as all over Brendan Schaub's dick, but really it has way more to do that his brother is one of my best friends and I just want to support him as a good friend; loyalty means a lot to me in friendships. I'd rout for Brendan even if he lost the next 5 fights....and mainly because his brother is a good friend to me and I know how much he cares about Brendan. Plus it is like getting a small glimpse into the UFC world where I never would have had that chance.

If you ever want to come play around, please feel welcome with our school. I completely get the "lack of time for everything" reason. So many cool things to do in this world and you only have so much time for all of them! :)

bulldog
Thu May 9th, 2013, 01:52 PM
If you ever want to come play around, please feel welcome with our school. I completely get the "lack of time for everything" reason. So many cool things to do in this world and you only have so much time for all of them! :) Thanks man, I appreciate the offer :up:

Same with you, if you ever want to change it up and go to the gym you can come with me too :)

j0ker
Thu May 9th, 2013, 02:16 PM
Thanks man, I appreciate the offer :up:

Same with you, if you ever want to change it up and go to the gym you can come with me too :)

Thanks but.... weights are heavy and stuff!

bulldog
Fri May 10th, 2013, 08:51 AM
So this thread and a conversation I had yesterday at the gym got me thinking.

Talking to this mammoth 19 year old who just got a wrestling scholarship. I asked him if he ever considered a career as a fighter and he shocked me by saying “naw I am a wrestler, not a BJJ guy”. So I went on to explain some of the best UFC fighters were wrestlers like Shane Carwin, Randy Couture, Cain Velasques, Ben Henderson, Brock Lesnar, etc. Sure BJJ is needed to finish with submission, but really wrestling has proved to be a huge aspect in MMA.

So why do most people still consider BJJ as framework for MMA when we see so many others are using wrestling and effective with it? (probably only taking to Joker and Barn)

P.S. Who knows, maybe I changed this kids life or at least gave him something to think about on how he can make a career out of his love of wrestling :dunno:

~Barn~
Fri May 10th, 2013, 09:19 AM
I think most people "in the know" consider the wrestling element of MMA to be a more critical foundation than a background in Ju Jitsu. And as somebody who did both, I'd tend to agree although I've never fought an actual MMA match.

I mean you hear Rogan talk about it all the time, about how the wrestling background exposes young men and women to the mental an physical "grind" that one needs to be comfortable with, to be a professional fighter. Sure, there is very very specific technique in jitz that can help end a fight on a seconds-notice, but with wrestling, the core of the sport is everything that fighting is:
-Balance
-Strength
-Endurance
-Explosiveness
-Leverage
-Aggression
-Etc...

I don't know who I heard say it first, maybe it was Matt Hughes in a guest commentary spot, or maybe even Rogan, but great Wrestling typically beats great Ju Jitsu, and if for no other reason than submission avoidance and BJJ defense can be learned and drilled and executed in a reasonably short amount of time. However.... smothering top control, spatial body awareness and transition grappling, takes years of doing for it to become natural. Now throw elite level striking into the mix, and things get interesting! =)

This is why a guy like GSP is so incredibly impressive to me. There is nobody in his weightclass, that is better at combining all of those aspects into a fluid and effective attack. Even broken down individually, there arguably may not be a better (striker) (wrestler) (submission) fighter at WW. Fans of Demian Maia however may object to that last one! Either way, he's so dominant of a champion that's he often accused of being "boring", because his opponents are so overwhelmed [at everything] that they can't ever get out of his control, and basically.... never have a chance. And it's 95% based on his ability to effectively wrestle. :yes:

Canuck
Fri May 10th, 2013, 09:52 AM
This is why a guy like GSP is so incredibly impressive to me. There is nobody in his weightclass, that is better at combining all of those aspects into a fluid and effective attack. Even broken down individually, there arguably may not be a better (striker) (wrestler) (submission) fighter at WW. Fans of Demian Maia however may object to that last one! Either way, he's so dominant of a champion that's he often accused of being "boring", because his opponents are so overwhelmed [at everything] that they can't ever get out of his control, and basically.... never have a chance. And it's 95% based on his ability to effectively wrestle. :yes:

^ This is one of the reasons why I'm a big fan of his.

Nathan, how do you like Easton? I took a tour of their main facility off of Santa Fe and was impressed.
Just found out about this place too... http://www.muaythaiofcolorado.com/

Don't know if anyone here has had any experience with either one.
I'm looking to begin training for Muay Thai starting at the end of summer. I haven't done any Martial Arts in over 15 years and always wanted to train in the art of boxing, so I thought Muay Thai would be the best of both worlds.

bulldog
Fri May 10th, 2013, 10:40 AM
I think most people "in the know" consider the wrestling element of MMA to be a more critical foundation than a background in Ju Jitsu. And as somebody who did both, I'd tend to agree although I've never fought an actual MMA match.

I mean you hear Rogan talk about it all the time, about how the wrestling background exposes young men and women to the mental an physical "grind" that one needs to be comfortable with, to be a professional fighter. Sure, there is very very specific technique in jitz that can help end a fight on a seconds-notice, but with wrestling, the core of the sport is everything that fighting is:
-Balance
-Strength
-Endurance
-Explosiveness
-Leverage
-Aggression
-Etc...

I don't know who I heard say it first, maybe it was Matt Hughes in a guest commentary spot, or maybe even Rogan, but great Wrestling typically beats great Ju Jitsu, and if for no other reason than submission avoidance and BJJ defense can be learned and drilled and executed in a reasonably short amount of time. However.... smothering top control, spatial body awareness and transition grappling, takes years of doing for it to become natural. Now throw elite level striking into the mix, and things get interesting! =)

Yeah I agree that most people that follow MMA like us get the aspect of wrestling. Really amazed me though that a lot of average fans believe it is all about BJJ on ground game. This kid didn’t even believe me at first till I started using Randy Couture as an example (someone he actually knew of). All I can think of is it is because UFC was started with mainly BJJ when the Gracie’s showed how affective it was. Yet over the years it has changed and I feel that the “pure” Gracie style would get killed in the UFC now and fighters have to be well rounded.

Think it was Matt Hughes that said that (a few others too like Chael), but he did fight against Royce Gracie and beat him quite easy so he really demonstrated it. Royce wasn’t in his prime, but Matt didn’t seem to have any problems to make me think it was more about Royce out of his prime. And like you said wrestling has that “grind” that is showing as a great advantage in MMA; wrestlers are used to the hardcore pace and can take a beating and keep coming. Cain is just a great example of it…never ending pace and never letting up!

GSP is a great example of having to be well rounded…funny he didn’t have a college back round in wrestling, yet has become one of the best at it…or at least merging it all together. I am always impressed with GSP, but again I think it is the average fans that come on not respecting the ground work and want to see the rock em sock em matches. I get they are exciting, but what gets me is this is MMA and not boxing or K1. If people are that into stand up they really are not understanding MMA is way more than strikes and really should stick with K1.

I do wonder if this kid I talked to will consider any of this, because there really are not a lot of careers that college wrestling will lead to and none that could possibly make the money a UFC fighters does while loving your job. Damn how I would love to enjoy going to work everyday like these fighters.

Nathan, how do you like Easton? I took a tour of their main facility off of Santa Fe and was impressed.

I'm looking to begin training for Muay Thai starting at the end of summer. I haven't done any Martial Arts in over 15 years and always wanted to train in the art of boxing, so I thought Muay Thai would be the best of both worlds. I only took the free classes at Eastons. Honestly I loved the place and really Eastons/Grudge and Grapplers Edge are the most well known schools and put out a lot of great fighters. Not sure about Grapplers Edge, but Eastons knows it is one of the most well known and it’s prices show it. I was disappointed that they really had only one option; unlimited for $150 a month (required cc for monthly billing). As a full time worker I would have been happier with other options like maybe pay for each class, or limit me to night classes. In the end I didn’t join because for me spending $150 really was something I wanted to pay if I had the time to go in everyday and train to get my money’s worth. Other than that, I have heard nothing but great things about Eastons; I went to the Denver one on Santa Fe, but they also have one in HR. I met the owner, Amal, and he was a great guy that made me feel like I would be part of their family and appreciated if I joined even though I was a beginner and not near their level.

EDIT: I had never heard on that http://www.muaythaiofcolorado.com/ place, but asked my buddy who has trained in a lot of those places. He said they have been around a long time so that is usually a good sign that they are good; especially just to learn the basics. He did say some of those fighters on their site have nothing to do with them anymore though like duane ludwig, seth bregman, or josh ford, but he would worry more about that if you were going for advanced training, but for basics it should be good

j0ker
Wed May 29th, 2013, 01:24 PM

I'm looking to begin training for Muay Thai starting at the end of summer. I haven't done any Martial Arts in over 15 years and always wanted to train in the art of boxing, so I thought Muay Thai would be the best of both worlds.

One of my friends, Ethan Henry, teaches Muay Thai in downtown Denver. If you are interested in getting his information PM me. Although, I would encourage you to come check out our class for free. The kicking and movement seems to work out better than kick boxing/MT.