PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever gone to court for a speeding ticket?

GMR
Fri May 10th, 2013, 08:22 PM
Two years ago I got a ticket by Grand Junction and didn't realize that if you don't pay it within 20 days you have to appear in court. I hired an attorney and he went for me, got it dropped a bit and in the end he only cost me $40 for the whole process after you factor in how much he saved me

Then I got another one a few months ago in Colorado, 10 over and it's 4 POINTS. So I didn't pay it because I'm working in the area, I can take the time to show up in court. I've done this in Minnesota and basically got the ticket lowered just by showing up. Does that happen here, advice? I just need it lowered 1MPH so it's not four points, but I really don't want to have to set another court date.

And I have an Oklahoma DL, but have had tickets in Utah, Iowa and Colorado in the last 6 months so I think if OK ever gets wind of this, I might lose my license? I think Iowa I was only going 10 over as well, Utah was the only one I was making good speed. I'm just shocked that a 10mph over ticket is four points, don't you lose your license after 12 points in a year in Colorado?

I probably shouldn't ride a bike

Supaduka
Fri May 10th, 2013, 09:27 PM
fellow oklahomie here where did you live? also, i got a ticket making an illegal left turn 4 points if you pay it on the date its due and 2 points if you pay it early. i just paid it early

Schiff32
Fri May 10th, 2013, 09:49 PM
get a CO license...

longrider
Fri May 10th, 2013, 09:54 PM
I don't know Oklahoma law but under Colorado law tickets received outside of Colorado do not get any points. Regarding the points, yes a 10 - 19 over is 4 points and 12 points in a year results in a suspension. It is 18 points in 2 years and after 2 years the points fall off. The violations do remain on your record for 7 years, what this means is that if you avoid suspension for 5 years but come close and then get enough for a suspension the hearing officer will see the past 7 years and suspend accordingly

GMR
Fri May 10th, 2013, 10:20 PM
fellow oklahomie here where did you live? also, i got a ticket making an illegal left turn 4 points if you pay it on the date its due and 2 points if you pay it early. i just paid it early

I lived (but not really) in OKC. Just for a little bit while roommates got their shit together and figured out where they were gonna live. I had to go to work in North Dakota so I put my stuff at the gf's place for the time being and had to get an OK license to buy guns...

you're talking about half the points if in Colorado? So if I would have paid this ticket immediately it would have been only two points?

GMR
Fri May 10th, 2013, 10:22 PM
get a CO license...

Seems like the worst thing to do at this point as I've had too many tickets here and would be too close to having a suspended license if I got a Colorado license. My Oklahoma license is clean...in Oklahoma.. :D

Did I seriously just find a loophole? Can I keep getting ticket after ticket as long as it's not in Oklahoma and keep my license? (although I'm sure insurance will drop me)

3point5
Fri May 10th, 2013, 10:33 PM
next time I get a speeding ticket I will hire a lawyer…I fight every single one…(it's only been a few as I am getting a little older and wiser) but if nothing more to clog the city of FnCKEN Aurora's court system and make them earn their funken $180…

I would say hire a lawyer out here...

Wrider
Fri May 10th, 2013, 11:37 PM
GMR, that's your loophole, but like you said, the insurance still sees it.

That said, even if you get a CO license, it starts fresh. The points on a CO license only start once you actually get a CO license.

I knew a guy who drove out to California about 3 or 4 times a year and would not care as he went through UT, NV, and CA. He had a clean CO license, but still had high risk insurance because of his tickets in other states.

GMR
Sat May 11th, 2013, 01:02 AM
GMR, that's your loophole, but like you said, the insurance still sees it.

That said, even if you get a CO license, it starts fresh. The points on a CO license only start once you actually get a CO license.

I knew a guy who drove out to California about 3 or 4 times a year and would not care as he went through UT, NV, and CA. He had a clean CO license, but still had high risk insurance because of his tickets in other states.

I don't think that's true. When I lived in CA and got that ticket while driving through Junction en route, the guy at the DMV saw it when I got my CO license upon moving here. I can't actually say whether it was transferred onto my license as I didn't get enough tickets/points that year to find out that I lost my license, but the guy at the DMV saw it and definitely brought it up. I'd imagine it got transferred on, wish I would have checked I guess

kawasakirob
Sun May 12th, 2013, 12:12 AM
The points transfer between OK and CO. I was caught when racing an airplane between Boise City and Guymon...the plane turned out to be OK Highway Patrol. Long Story Short, I was given 2 options.

-Pay fine in full (450.00) and forget everything happened
-Pay 250.00 and receive 4 points towards my Colorado License.

Advice is to go to court and see if they drop it down, which could very well happen with a guilty plea to defective vehicle. 2pts

GMR
Wed May 15th, 2013, 12:57 AM
F**K! :banghead:

Making an ass out of myself, I thought I had the court date memorized and took out the ticket for tomorrow. Well, court date was TODAY and so ticket will count for all 4 points. I went back through my speeding tickets from the last 7 months, one in UT 84/60 dropped to 76/60 which has no mention of points, one in Iowa 75/65 that is grouped in the 6-10MPH over which I imagine wouldn't be many points, and then this one 75/65 that is good for four points.

Anybody here lost their license or been dropped by insurance? What did it take (speeding ticket wise, disregard DUI's and all that)

man, I picked a HELL of a year to get into crotch rockets :no: whatever I'm sure all it takes is one big ticket on a bike to lose your license anyways

Wrider
Wed May 15th, 2013, 01:11 PM
I still wasn't dropped back in 07 after losing my license due to speeding ticket points. Insurance is sky high for me, but they usually won't drop you until they actually have to pay money because of you.

tecknojoe
Wed May 15th, 2013, 01:19 PM
WOA...

Ninja 250s can go 84 mph??

GMR
Wed May 15th, 2013, 04:02 PM
250's go 95, but all of my tickets have been in my car.

I'm really nervous of getting a bigger bike now since I don't think I've ever been this close to losing my license, but if I get another ticket it's go big or go home I guess... might as well do it right

FZRguy
Wed May 15th, 2013, 07:00 PM
http://www.motorcycleradar.com/

I have the Adaptiv TPX. Works in my truck too.

rforsythe
Wed May 15th, 2013, 07:30 PM
Making an ass out of myself, I thought I had the court date memorized and took out the ticket for tomorrow. Well, court date was TODAY and so ticket will count for all 4 points.

Well that and you didn't show up, so now you have a bench warrant for your arrest. I wouldn't suggest getting pulled over until you go to court and take care of this.

I'm really nervous of getting a bigger bike now since I don't think I've ever been this close to losing my license

Insurance on a big bike will suck for you.

GMR
Wed May 15th, 2013, 07:58 PM
Well that and you didn't show up, so now you have a bench warrant for your arrest. I wouldn't suggest getting pulled over until you go to court and take care of this.

Insurance on a big bike will suck for you.

Do I go to the court where the hearing was supposed to be, or go to the big office in Lakewood? I hope I don't have to drive all the way to Cheyenne Wells only to see that their court isn't open on Thursdays, which wouldn't be a surprise...

Nooch
Wed May 15th, 2013, 08:01 PM

Get in there ASAP and proactively resolve this. It happened to me a few years ago. Got a ticket (non-resident license past 30 days...lazy = revenue), didn't read the fine print about the window for paying through the mail. Got a letter a few weeks later advising of the bench warrant. I went straight down to court and they pushed me through the process real quick, judge tacked on $35 extra in fines and I went home clear.

Granted I also had 0 points against my license at the time.

kawasakirob
Thu May 16th, 2013, 12:45 AM
Apologize, apologize, apologize. Kiss the judges ass. If you haven't called the court yet....what's wrong with you? Call them and let them know what happened. Be honest and sincere and hope for the best. If the outcome is not what you expected, take it and be respectful. More than likely you will talk to the D.A to tell him/her your story first, then the judge will look at the notes from the D.A. and decide if he/she wants to go along with it. No big deal. The longer you take, the less chance you have of reducing the ticket.

People miss there court dates all the time, your not the first.

Sarge
Thu May 16th, 2013, 06:09 AM
Colorado sucks when it comes to tickets. When I loved in California and Nevada, they always put max fines on the ticket and I always got minimum fines showing up in court. Plus, both those states have a 12 month online traffic school option. Once every 12 months you can waive the fine and points (no record) by taking like a $35 online traffic school.

In Colorado, that first "court" date is really just an appt to visit some fat clerk at a counter who asks you to pay the ticket or you can sign something saying you want to appear in front of a judge. It's a bit of a joke really.

On that note though, PA is even worse. You have 10 days to pay, and if you want to contest it you have to pay up front before you see the judge.

GMR
Thu May 16th, 2013, 06:38 AM
Colorado sucks when it comes to tickets. When I loved in California and Nevada, they always put max fines on the ticket and I always got minimum fines showing up in court. Plus, both those states have a 12 month online traffic school option. Once every 12 months you can waive the fine and points (no record) by taking like a $35 online traffic school.

In Colorado, that first "court" date is really just an appt to visit some fat clerk at a counter who asks you to pay the ticket or you can sign something saying you want to appear in front of a judge. It's a bit of a joke really.

On that note though, PA is even worse. You have 10 days to pay, and if you want to contest it you have to pay up front before you see the judge.

Colorado does suck, indeed.
When I got pulled over twice within 20 minutes in Nebraska (one resulting in a speeding ticket), my fiancee decided to boycott the state and try to not spend any money there or avoid driving through it. But the thing is I didn't pay that ticket for probably two months and all that happened was I had to pay a $2.50 surcharge for paying by credit card online. Maybe it's not so bad after all, and Nebraska seems like paradise (law wise) now having to deal with CO bullshit

Will head to the courthouse here in an hour.

FZRguy
Fri May 17th, 2013, 03:25 AM

Not in my exp. Can vary some from county to county, but always go to the first court date. You will get a plea offer, which is always less $ and less points, or you can plead not guilty. I had a Jeffco ticket a few years back for $160 with four points. Plea deal was $72 and two points. Yes, I took it, and so did about 15 others with the same ticket.

GMR
Fri May 17th, 2013, 06:05 AM
Ok, so when you show up you get the points reduced and fee dropped. What I've heard as rule of thumb is anything 10 or 9 MPH over (may vary state to state) doesn't get reported to insurance. So say you still go and get the fine and points dropped, but does the speed over get dropped and do they not report it to insurance?

I showed up, paid the fine and surcharge but no arrest warrant as I showed up within the 7 day period so I should be able to go in and get my CO license again today if I have time.

longrider
Fri May 17th, 2013, 06:53 AM
Nothing is "reported" to insurance, they just access your driving record. When the charge is reduced then the reduced charge is all that is posted to your record. At one time I had 3 defective vehicle tickets ;) To the best of my knowledge the only people who can see the original charge are within motor vehicle which would effectively mean the suspension hearing officer if you get to that point

Sarge
Fri May 17th, 2013, 07:06 AM
Not in my exp. Can vary some from county to county, but always go to the first court date. You will get a plea offer, which is always less $ and less points, or you can plead not guilty. I had a Jeffco ticket a few years back for $160 with four points. Plea deal was $72 and two points. Yes, I took it, and so did about 15 others with the same ticket.

In the 5 years I was in Colorado I got two speeding tickets, one in the Springs and one in Pueblo. Both times the only "plea" deal I got was "We'll call it 'illegal lane change' and drop it to two points, but the fine is still $17X whatever."

Thankfully I only had to pay the one, and now the only ticket on my license for the last 8 years or so is a single "illegal lane change", which is ironic because I am very uptight about signaling lane changes, etc, as it's a huge pet peeve of mine. The other I fought because it was a retarded ticket and the officer messed it up when he wrote it, so the judge just threw it out.