PDA

View Full Version : New track proposal for Denver

tecknojoe
Mon May 20th, 2013, 07:30 AM
There's a proposal for a new track right next to the airport. It's interesting that they list it as not being for "racing", but more for people to drive their high performance cars. I'd hope they allow racing cause I'd love to drag knee on the kink of that back straight, it looks like turn 1 in laguna :o

http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_23279957/motorsport-park-by-denver-airport-is-club-drivers

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2013/0519/20130519_112708_altezzachart_300.jpg

madvlad
Mon May 20th, 2013, 07:31 AM
Approved! :yes:

Fumet5uNo
Mon May 20th, 2013, 07:33 AM
Altezza will be well need

tecknojoe
Mon May 20th, 2013, 07:38 AM
I predict:

Track approved and built
Motorcycles not allowed
Brand new single family homes built across the street
Shut down by summer 2015
I continue to suck ass in the MRA and never win shit at HPR

Zach929rr
Mon May 20th, 2013, 07:44 AM
Kart track looks legit

Fumet5uNo
Mon May 20th, 2013, 07:45 AM
Altezza will let bikes on maybe no mra race don't think the could afford it

madvlad
Mon May 20th, 2013, 07:54 AM
Just like that ring of the rockies project, did that ever go through? The memberships were fucking ridiculous expensive. I think the lowest rank membership for basic track use were like $20,000 a year lol

Fumet5uNo
Mon May 20th, 2013, 07:59 AM
Colorado has screwed all there good tracks we lost miller and go stuck with high plains sorry coming from Cali the tracks here suck

tecknojoe
Mon May 20th, 2013, 08:04 AM
Colorado has screwed all there good tracks we lost miller and go stuck with high plains sorry coming from Cali the tracks here suck

was miller proposed in Colorado before it was built?

What don't you like about HPR? That track has everything except nice toilets

Fumet5uNo
Mon May 20th, 2013, 08:16 AM
Larry h miller group launched the idea for it to be built here but got shot down, sucks would have added hella revanue to Colorado . I'm not a fan of high plains is there is nothing to it it's pavement in a field nothing but weeds

rybo
Mon May 20th, 2013, 08:19 AM

I respectfully disagree -as a riders course HPR is one of the best I've ridden. I've not ridden any tracks in California, but have ridden at many other places in the states. So there aren't GP garages or luxo suites....I don't care. I want good pavement in a field and whatever other necessities are required. I want rental / trackday rates to remain as low as possible and the maintenance of the racing surface to be as good as possible. In these areas I think CAMA has succeeded with HPR.

rybo
Mon May 20th, 2013, 08:21 AM
was miller proposed in Colorado before it was built?

What don't you like about HPR? That track has everything except nice toilets

I believe that the original site plan was for where the old Mead track rests (in peace) now.

madvlad
Mon May 20th, 2013, 08:21 AM
I think the problem is that this state is not big on motorsports to maintain tracks and increase revenue/interest mainly cause of weather unlike california and texas, etc. All people here care about is shredding imo.... HPR is a great track though, the staff is pretty awesome plus they work hard to provide us with a good and clean track to have some fun at. Yes hopefully someday some money will be invested into bettering certain things as the sport continues to grow but a great start though. Hell if I would've won that 600 million jackpot I would've invested in HPR.

Fumet5uNo
Mon May 20th, 2013, 08:24 AM
I just like green trees, grass, stuff Colorado isn't known for , but I'm a picky SOB

UglyDogRacing
Mon May 20th, 2013, 08:25 AM
I agree with Scott. We should be grateful that we have HPR and two other easily accessible tracks within an hour and half of Denver. Luxury suites and garages don't make a difference when you are out on the track.

Fumet5uNo
Mon May 20th, 2013, 08:27 AM
Just an FYI but a few people have been looking in to the chunk of land across from thunder mountain where the cattle land is to build a full on motorsports track that could support mgp, v8super , and so on I think it would be out standing the Terran shift would be one of a kind

tecknojoe
Mon May 20th, 2013, 08:30 AM
I just like green trees, grass, stuff Colorado isn't known for , but I'm a picky SOB

I think you may be living in the wrong place then. I don't exactly look at the trees and grass when I'm going double the highway speeds, but to each his own.

As far as the riding itself, HPR has so much to offer with off camber, blind entries, etc. I don't think they could have built it any better. And it's very safe compared to other tracks as well.

I didn't know miller was proposed for Colorado, that would have been awesome. But as a club racer, I thank my lucky stars that I have something as nice as HPR

Fumet5uNo
Mon May 20th, 2013, 08:34 AM
I'm a business man I look at what if so again it's just IMO

asp_125
Mon May 20th, 2013, 09:00 AM
You cold have your trees and lawns and GP garages but then how much would you be willing to pay for track fees to run at a track like that? You're talking a track like Barber or Road America. Then again, look at tracks like Buttonwillow or Willow Springs.. IIRC there isn't a lot of grass and trees at either yet they are fun tracks too. Even Miller .. not a lot of trees. Give me a smooth clean track that's 40ft wide with flowing lines and elevation changes, I could care less about amenities - build those as funds come in.

asp_125
Mon May 20th, 2013, 09:06 AM
Back on topic, I hope Altezza finally gets off the ground, they've been working on this for at least the past 5 or 6 years to raise capital. Perhaps it will free up some weekends at HPR for more club track days.

asp_125
Mon May 20th, 2013, 09:07 AM
Just like that ring of the rockies project, did that ever go through? The memberships were fucking ridiculous expensive. I think the lowest rank membership for basic track use were like $20,000 a year lol

So that's like a 50 CSC members chipping in $400 each, right? :D How many MRA corner work weekends is that? :twisted:

Dogsbody
Mon May 20th, 2013, 09:12 AM
If you've got the money, the buy in for the Executive membership initiation fee is $54,000, the deposit is $6,300 and the annual dues are $5,700.

Full form is here. http://media.wix.com/ugd/2b4928_e9ddeb34c1f9f06eb2a8cd941b125a1e.pdf

Fumet5uNo
Mon May 20th, 2013, 09:16 AM
You cold have your trees and lawns and GP garages but then how much would you be willing to pay for track fees to run at a track like that? You're talking a track like Barber or Road America. Then again, look at tracks like Buttonwillow or Willow Springs.. IIRC there isn't a lot of grass and trees at either yet they are fun tracks too. Even Miller .. not a lot of trees. Give me a smooth clean track that's 40ft wide with flowing lines and elevation changes, I could care less about amenities - build those as funds come in.

I have a large wallet no biggy

asp_125
Mon May 20th, 2013, 09:18 AM
$59700 for year 1
$5700 annually

At that price I expect hookers and blow and Dom Perignon filled bathtubs inside those pit suites. But I'll settle for umbrella girls on grid.

longrider
Mon May 20th, 2013, 09:24 AM
I enjoyed this comment in the Post article:

Also, to calm concerns from the Adams County Sheriff's Office, club rules will specify that membership could be revoked for anyone caught speeding on Imboden Road.

I believe after driving/riding the track speed limit violations actually decrease

tecknojoe
Mon May 20th, 2013, 09:27 AM
:lol: i missed that. it's actually kind of a good idea. They stress not speeding through byers. I'm sure residents appreciate it when we don't come blasting through town

asp_125
Mon May 20th, 2013, 09:29 AM
:lol: i missed that. it's actually kind of a good idea. They stress not speeding through byers. I'm sure residents appreciate it when we don't come blasting through town

After a day at HPR I'm so drained that I drive like a grandpa.

asp_125
Mon May 20th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Huh.. being engineered by the same company that designed COTAS.

Ghosty
Mon May 20th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Yea we all do, hahaa. Being a native though I've given up on that. I'll move to Florida someday.

East of the foothills, Colorado is just a big ugly brown flat dirt field. That's just the way it is. Just so happens that's the only place you can afford to build a track too. You're not gonna get a track that looks like Cali or Hawaii with palm trees and pretty flowers, lol.

I've heard nothing but praise for HPR, for it's layout/design, mild elevation changes, etc. The NASA roadrace guys all love the shit out of it!

Snowman
Mon May 20th, 2013, 12:21 PM
This is like the 6th attempt to put a track out by DIA. With the economy still tanked, I don't see this happening with investor money. If they are will to front the cost for themselves then maybe. But I wouldn't hold out hope with developers just wanting to build once they can sell houses again.

asp_125
Mon May 20th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Seeing that HPR was built with funding help from CAMA (MRA SCCA RMVR etc) I don't see any local sanctioning body throwing money at this new venture. I wish them luck, I'll believe it when I see it.

UglyDogRacing
Mon May 20th, 2013, 01:00 PM
Seeing that HPR was built with funding help from CAMA (MRA SCCA RMVR etc) I don't see any local sanctioning body throwing money at this new venture. I wish them luck, I'll believe it when I see it.

I would say that it was more than just funding help. :)

One-ops
Mon May 20th, 2013, 01:34 PM
I believe that the original site plan was for where the old Mead track rests (in peace) now.

Fact.
Why cant that track be reopened? I liked going up there.

UglyDogRacing
Mon May 20th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Fact.
Why cant that track be reopened? I liked going up there.

The degraded surface was almost un-rideable when we last raced there in 2005 and the lack of run-off in some turns was very unsafe. Bikes were a lot slower when that place was built. Even if the current ownership was willing to reopen it, we would not go there with it's current condition.

The GECCO
Mon May 20th, 2013, 01:52 PM
Larry h miller group launched the idea for it to be built here but got shot down, sucks would have added hella revanue to Colorado . I'm not a fan of high plains is there is nothing to it it's pavement in a field nothing but weeds

Weeds??

Taken about an hour ago:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/TheGECCO/photo.jpg

Sleev
Mon May 20th, 2013, 02:16 PM
I don't see how the Denver area could support another track

UglyDogRacing
Mon May 20th, 2013, 02:20 PM
Damn Glenn, that looks better than my yard! You wanna stop by with your mower and weed whacker later?

The GECCO
Mon May 20th, 2013, 02:34 PM
Damn Glenn, that looks better than my yard! You wanna stop by with your mower and weed whacker later?

You said "whacker"

And you'll have to talk to Mr. Applesauce, he's in charge of the groundskeeping around here.

bcmoore80
Mon May 20th, 2013, 02:48 PM
Having come from California and ridden most the tracks there, I have to agree that HPR is no Laguna, but it is a great track. Like it was said above, I think we are lucky to have 3 tracks in the area and I'm happy to live in northern Colorado Springs where I'm centrally located between the three..

Also, I'd like to throw in the fact the many of the tracks in CA are in the middle no-where.. Thunderhill is way up north 2 hours from San Fran, Buttonwillow is really out there... 2 hours north of LA.. Willow Springs is only a little closer to LA, Chuck is in Timbuktu over 3 hours from both LA and San Diego..

So I guess my point is that when you look at the number and quality of tracks in CA compared to their population centers and the number and quality of tracks here in CO compared to our population centers, we are very lucky..

Just my 2 cents...

One-ops
Mon May 20th, 2013, 02:56 PM
Plus how much are td's at those tracks and sears point?

buddahson
Mon May 20th, 2013, 03:02 PM
I love HPR but I wouldn't complain about another track option.

One-ops
Mon May 20th, 2013, 03:13 PM
PMP
PPIR
Pikes Peak Hill Climb

bcmoore80
Mon May 20th, 2013, 03:14 PM
Plus how much are td's at those tracks and sears point?

Another good point!! I laugh when I hear people complain about $150 dollar trackdays here..

Thunderhill averaged around $200
Buttonwillow was cheaper where you could sometimes get 2 days for $300
Laguna was $300 a day
Sears Point was about $250

One-ops
Mon May 20th, 2013, 03:34 PM
Yeah thats what I've heard! We have it pretty good to only to td's but race too not much travel to our 3 tracks.
Not sure how true it is but I've also heard the bigger tracks dont run td's/open lapping you can only go when the track has been rented by someone doing so.

bcmoore80
Mon May 20th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Yeah thats what I've heard! We have it pretty good to only to td's but race too not much travel to our 3 tracks.
Not sure how true it is but I've also heard the bigger tracks dont run td's/open lapping you can only go when the track has been rented by someone doing so.

That is the case, the tracks themselves very rarely(like never) have open lapping days, so the only time you can get on the track is when one of the major trackday providers hosts events..

sag
Mon May 20th, 2013, 06:45 PM
whatever happened to the big baller dual track idea that had houses with pit garages and shit? they built the vault or something in denver for rich guys to smoke cigars and store cars but never got around to the track. motorsports club or something.

longrider
Mon May 20th, 2013, 07:11 PM
whatever happened to the big baller dual track idea that had houses with pit garages and shit? they built the vault or something in denver for rich guys to smoke cigars and store cars but never got around to the track. motorsports club or something.

I think you are referring to Genoa (http://www.genoamotorsports.com/) While the website is still active there has not been an update since 6/3/09

Radek
Mon May 20th, 2013, 07:25 PM
HPR riding experience is better then Buttonwillow , Willow Springs , Street's of Willow ,Pahrump ,Las Vegas Speedway and Infineon(Sears Point) .

CaptGoodvibes
Mon May 20th, 2013, 07:57 PM
HPR might be great to ride but it SUCKS ASS for spectating. I'm just sayin'...

asp_125
Mon May 20th, 2013, 08:14 PM

Unless you're corner working. :D

The new turn 4 bleachers improved things somewhat.

FZRguy
Mon May 20th, 2013, 08:36 PM
HPR riding experience is better then Buttonwillow , Willow Springs , Street's of Willow ,Pahrump ,Las Vegas Speedway and Infineon(Sears Point) .

I agree re Las Vegas Speedway. I was just there and the road race course is out in the parking lot and not too impressive.

hcr25
Mon May 20th, 2013, 09:08 PM

Most road courses that are used for club racing that get spectators close to the action have walls close to the racing surface to protect said spectators, not the racers. National level tracks have huge bleachers that come with a equally huge price tag. Most also have walls within distance that is reachable from crashing bike riders.
When a track has elevation changes it makes it even harder to spectate. I guess if HPR was flat it would better to watch races there. Then us racers would bitch because it was flat.

CaptGoodvibes
Mon May 20th, 2013, 09:24 PM
I think there is a place for a small bleacher over the hill.

hcr25
Tue May 21st, 2013, 05:20 AM
There is a spectator area outside of turn 4 with two small bleachers and a decent amout a vehicle parking. About 70% of the full course can be seen from there.

jbnwc
Tue May 21st, 2013, 07:40 AM

It's better than Road America! And that track is awesome.

One-ops
Tue May 21st, 2013, 11:17 AM
New viewing area in 4!!!! Thats fanfrackintastic!!! Much needed yeah but all will come with time. Racer made doesn't happen overnight.

hcr25
Tue May 21st, 2013, 12:02 PM
New viewing area in 4!!!! Thats fanfrackintastic!!! Much needed yeah but all will come with time. Racer made doesn't happen overnight.

New for 2012 it was :D

The GECCO
Tue May 21st, 2013, 12:52 PM

Spectators must be protected from the vehicles on track, and there are only two ways to accomplish that:

1) Barriers
2) Distance

Since barriers endanger the competitors, we chose the latter.

I'm not saying that we don't care about spectators, but the fact is that the HPR business model (as any amateur track) is based on being supported by the revenue of the participants, not the spectators. The track itself doesn't even charge spectators (the clubs who rent the track have the option of charging spectators, some do and some don't).

Professional venues must place a priority on getting spectators to come watch (and pay to do so) so they are forced to get viewing areas closer to the track and then put barriers in place. Just this morning I was watching the MOTO2 race from last weekend and saw a rider highside and then slide into an unprotected concrete barrier. It was a glancing blow and the rider walked away, but still.

asp_125
Tue May 21st, 2013, 01:28 PM
Does HPR own the land west of T6 T7? Across the gully would be a great spot to watch the action on the back side of the circuit. But then you'd run the expense of control fencing and trailblazing to get out there.

hcr25
Tue May 21st, 2013, 01:38 PM
Does HPR own the land west of T6 T7? Across the gully would be a great spot to watch the action on the back side of the circuit. But then you'd run the expense of control fencing and trailblazing to get out there.

It does but you can see most of that from turn four area.

asp_125
Tue May 21st, 2013, 01:42 PM
All I can say, is that cornerworkers have the best seats in the house. (free plug for MRA)

madvlad
Tue May 21st, 2013, 02:15 PM
agreed on the corner worker part, can't go wrong with trackside view of all racers and all action!

CaptGoodvibes
Tue May 21st, 2013, 09:26 PM
There is a spectator area outside of turn 4 with two small bleachers and a decent amout a vehicle parking. About 70% of the full course can be seen from there.

It's been a while since I was out there. Too frustrating to miss all the passing beyond turn 3...

I'll give it another chance.

gsxridiot
Tue May 21st, 2013, 09:58 PM
i agree that a big track like Miller's would be a cool thing but, as stated before track days are few and generally a sponsered deal that ends up raising the cost
HPR offers the chance to affordably learn how to ride in a very safe, challinging situation
because of its low overhead, a full track day costs less than a speeding/reckless operation ticket
its too bad it is so far from me here in the mountains but,as stated before, the price of real estate in the hills makes that imposible here
i am really happy that HPR keeps track riding withen reach, for us weekend warriers
anothertrack, great, affordable? prolly not

hcr25
Wed May 22nd, 2013, 05:13 AM
It's been a while since I was out there. Too frustrating to miss all the passing beyond turn 3...

PM me your mailing address and I'll send you some free tickets for the MRA.
Mike

Aaron
Wed May 22nd, 2013, 08:40 AM

Figured I'd point this out since no one else seems to have hit on it.

I love trees. I love the Colorado mountains and seeing miles and miles of forest. Some of the most beautiful places in the USA are within a couple hours drive.

But when I crash a motorcycle, I don't want to be anywhere near trees, cliffs, or boulders. I want to go sliding on the pavement into the field, then get up, to find my bike and do it all over again. For the poor guy who slid into a tree, this isn't an option.

madvlad
Wed May 22nd, 2013, 08:47 AM

PM me your mailing address and I'll send you some free tickets for the MRA.
Mike

Problem solved seems to me! :up:

asp_125
Wed May 22nd, 2013, 08:54 AM
Most of "us" are in the camp of if you build it we will come. We just want a place to play that is safe, well maintained, has a decent set of garages, adequate timing/scoring buildings, and clean washrooms and showers. If there's good food and shade that's a bonus. The kinds of facility that HPR PMP PPIR are providing.

At the club level, anything more like bleachers and clubhouses are sitting empty most of the year, yet still require money to build and maintain, and adds nothing for the racers. Come to an event and see who the spectators are? Family, friends, and a few curious people who happened to see an MRA flyer. No track can stay in business with gate receipts at the club level. You'd have to be a Larry H Miller and book Pro events to fill seats, and then there'd be grumbling from club guys about not enough track time for amateurs and too expensive to play.

Yes PMP could use a lot more shade, and who wouldn't like enclosed air-conditioned garages. But things like grass, trees, grandstands are all spectator biased improvements that just add to the cost of club racers.

tecknojoe
Wed May 22nd, 2013, 08:59 AM
How are the new tar snakes doing at HPR? In particular turn 6. I had a ton of movement at the last open lapping day. I also watched the turn 1 tar almost get quite a few people if they had to run wide.

Have they dried up or improved grip at all?

hcr25
Wed May 22nd, 2013, 09:24 AM
Erico Motorsports had a lapping day on Monday. It was rainy off and on throughout the day. No one mentioned anything to me besides how much fun they were having. Zero crashes and only one guy rode off the track in turn 11.

Snowman
Wed May 22nd, 2013, 12:10 PM
How are the new tar snakes doing at HPR? In particular turn 6. I had a ton of movement at the last open lapping day. I also watched the turn 1 tar almost get quite a few people if they had to run wide.

Have they dried up or improved grip at all?Gone, they repaved it like it should have been done in the first place...

tecknojoe
Wed May 22nd, 2013, 12:12 PM
Thanks Mike, I look forward to being out there again

Gone, they repaved it like it should have been done in the first place...

You mean the tar snakes that were new (to me at least) about 3 weeks ago? That would mean it's been repaved between the last MRA round(5/12/'13) and today. you might be thinking of old ones

The GECCO
Wed May 22nd, 2013, 08:00 PM
The tar snakes are an occasional fact of life if we want the asphalt to last. As cracks develop they have to be sealed and we try to schedule the work such that there are lots of car days between the work and the next motorcycle event but things don't always work out how we want them to.

They were redone a few weeks ago and shouldn't need to be done again until the off-season.

old_school
Wed May 29th, 2013, 08:35 PM
I attended the Erico Motorsports trackday back on 5/20 and had zero issues with the tar snakes. Then again, I wasn't using them for my racing line.

ssutton21
Wed May 29th, 2013, 10:19 PM
I agree re Las Vegas Speedway. I was just there and the road race course is out in the parking lot and not too impressive.

I take it u didn't go to track night in Vegas? Cause its not in the parking lot..

Slo
Thu May 30th, 2013, 08:43 AM
Pretty close to me.... would be nice but not looking forward to prices.

FZRguy
Fri May 31st, 2013, 12:29 AM
I take it u didn't go to track night in Vegas? Cause its not in the parking lot..

I was expecting an infield track inside the Speedway, which is why it was a bit of a let down. There was a track day going on at the time with a small number of riders, and I stopped to check it out. Probably just as good to ride, just not what I was expecting.