PDA

View Full Version : Time for a new tire?

gregr
Tue Jun 11th, 2013, 10:26 AM
Geez...talk about pushing a tire to the very end...ouch.

http://youtu.be/RmZFHoZVV_A

bulldog
Tue Jun 11th, 2013, 10:37 AM
Idiot..exactly why he crashed. Although sad to say I have seen worse; actual steels threads poking out of tire

vort3xr6
Tue Jun 11th, 2013, 10:48 AM
Nothing worse then a procrastinating motorcyclist.

I will adjust my chain.....tomorrow.
I will change my front tire.....next week.

I hate to say it but I was really guilty when I first got into the sport/hobby/bank account destroyer.

j0ker
Tue Jun 11th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Effing TIRES! Especially the Z rated super sticky icky ones. The cost killed me starting out on the ZX14 until I started using the RP3's.

TEC 2.0
Tue Jun 11th, 2013, 11:14 AM
Guess he needed to get his money's worth out of a $112 tire.

TFOGGuys
Tue Jun 11th, 2013, 11:53 AM
I replaced one that was worse than that yesterday. Fortunately, the owner recognized the hazard and brought it in off bike...

bulldog
Tue Jun 11th, 2013, 11:59 AM
I remember getting into a argument with a guy about 10 years ago who said that the metal threads were your indication warnings you needed a new tire. He was 100% serious about it too until I finally convinced him what the real tread indicators were

jcj81
Tue Jun 11th, 2013, 12:25 PM
I was sitting at a stop light a few weeks ago a cruiser in front of me had about an 8" spot with cords showing and way underinflated, I really dont get it. I check my bikes over before I leave my driveway everytime I get it out

gregr
Tue Jun 11th, 2013, 12:51 PM
It would be cool to see a study of how much grip a street tire gives you as it wears, all the way from brand new to cords showing.

All the anecdotal stories I've seen on the topic are related to race tires, which are of course a totally different beast...

j0ker
Tue Jun 11th, 2013, 01:37 PM
I was sitting at a stop light a few weeks ago a cruiser in front of me had about an 8" spot with cords showing and way underinflated, I really dont get it. I check my bikes over before I leave my driveway everytime I get it out

You Sir are a very good mechanic. You have a history of maintenance at a professional level. Some people just have no idea how or what to do, to maintain a motorcycle. And, some just don't give a shit. :)

bulldog
Tue Jun 11th, 2013, 01:38 PM
I was sitting at a stop light a few weeks ago a cruiser in front of me had about an 8" spot with cords showing and way underinflated, I really dont get it. I check my bikes over before I leave my driveway everytime I get it out To up that, check your tire pressure too! It is amazing how big a difference proper pressure makes on a sportbike!

mxer
Tue Jun 11th, 2013, 05:55 PM
The PO of my bike had the rear wire cords showing all around when I bought it. I used it knock a couple more hundred off. I hope he wasn't as stupid with the maintenance although 2 years later it's running good.