PDA

View Full Version : We went to the TT.

Tylar
Wed Jun 12th, 2013, 08:23 AM
The wife (JTigger) and I went to the TT this year:
http://i666.photobucket.com/albums/vv30/Tylar77/2008%20R1/969865_10201307030936693_1468906259_n_zps1d262dd6. jpg (http://s666.photobucket.com/user/Tylar77/media/2008%20R1/969865_10201307030936693_1468906259_n_zps1d262dd6. jpg.html)

At last count, we have ~1100 pictures and videos of the entire trip. If you care to see any of that, we (read the wife) will be assembling, cleaning up and polishing the collection and posting publicly. I'll place it here later on.

Also, some serious lessons learned about traveling to the Isle from Colorado and some ways to make the next trip MUCH MORE cost-effective. That aside, quite possibly the coolest thing I've ever done in the 36 years I've been breathing. I highly recommend you try to do the same.

madvlad
Wed Jun 12th, 2013, 08:24 AM
That is awesome, can't wait to see what the pics and vids look like.

birchyboy
Wed Jun 12th, 2013, 08:35 AM
Ditto

tecknojoe
Wed Jun 12th, 2013, 08:36 AM
I rarely use the word epic and truly mean it.

This thread is going to be epic. Can't wait to see the story

asp_125
Wed Jun 12th, 2013, 09:00 AM
Peeks in.. looks around... taps foot. :)

j0ker
Wed Jun 12th, 2013, 09:28 AM
That is freaking awesome. Hope you post up those pics and vids!!!!! The TT is my all time favorite motorcycle event!

jcj81
Wed Jun 12th, 2013, 09:34 AM
I would love to go over and see that, I watched a few races throughout last week on Velocity Channel everynight had a new race on, lots of new records set this year. Looks like it was perfect weather too.

madvlad
Wed Jun 12th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Just out of curiosity, how much did you guys spend going out there with stay, flight and all the works?

Ezzzzy1
Wed Jun 12th, 2013, 12:03 PM
Subscribed... I will mark this off the bucket list here in the next few years. I look forward to hearing about your experience!

daemon
Thu Jun 13th, 2013, 06:10 AM
Awaiting the conclusion of said promise to post pics and read reviews....
A.K.A Lurking!

Tylar
Thu Jun 13th, 2013, 08:16 AM
Hey, guys! If you look at a trip of going from Denver, to IOM, then back only, the biggest cost incurred that isn't very flexible is your airfare. We flew into London, chilled for a few days, then took a train to Liverpool, rode the ferry over to Douglas and stayed at a hotel in Douglas (4 nights, 5 days). When we were done, we took the ferry back to Liverpool and hung out in Paris for a few days before going back to Denver (got back 6/10, left on 5/28). Hotels sell out a few weeks after the prior-year race, ferry space closes up shortly after and getting-to and staying-on the island generally gets tricky here in the next few weeks for 2014. So be prepared to plan ahead.

So, biggest costs being airfare, you can model how you want to ultimately get onto the island (fly from Denver to Dublin then fly to Douglas or use the ferry option). The problem with the ferry is you have to get the tickets within a few weeks of the prior-year TT ending (now) and you are riding on a ferry with mostly guys taking their bikes over, which is a feat to see regardless. Hotel availability is generally gone after a few weeks of the prior-year race ending. So, you have to plan years in advance if you want to take the ferry and stay in a hotel in Douglas, Ramsey, you name it. They have a home-renting system where you rent a residents house while they disappear during the races (quite common) and the costs are extremely variable there as well. This was a 10-year anny thing for the wife and I and a bucket list item for me, so where we could've skimped, we sometimes didn't for the sake of simplicity and having a consistent place to stay that was reliable. I won't put up specific numbers here on the site for what we paid, but if you need/want to know, I can get into detail of the booking agency, the hotel costs you can expect and what the ferry cost so you can compare to just flying into Douglas and avoid the ferry all-together, just send me a PM here or on FB if you know where to find me.

My videos I took from my iPhone/iPad:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLvuWDqUFCCYmJgCybsGtZK-kdO_GIUplx

Nick_Ninja
Thu Jun 13th, 2013, 09:34 AM
Epic :up: Thanks for the info.

Tylar
Thu Jun 13th, 2013, 10:03 AM
Epic :up: Thanks for the info.

:batman:

Epic is right. I've been struggling for a few days/weeks now to try to find the accurate way to describe the experience that reflects what it is like to sit feet away from 160mph plus. Have yet to find it.

On the plus, and I just remembered this, most days we walked to a supermarket (TESCO/Iceland) and bought a doughnut or something, then two Subway sandwiches (In every supermarket i went into on the Isle) and a 12-pack of beer plus waters for the days races. You *could* buy beer at specific locations and pay ~5 pounds per beer, but we opted for a more reasonable way. We spent our money at night at the pubs. :multi:

FZRguy
Thu Jun 13th, 2013, 11:04 AM
As much as I'd like to see the race live, think I'll go when the race is not going on. Rent a bike, ride the course, and explore the island, watch the race at home.

Tylar
Thu Jun 13th, 2013, 11:34 AM
Rent a bike, ride the course

Sounds like a wonderful idea, however renting a bike without European insurance out there is extremely difficult. If you can find coverage, it is ridiculously expensive. We pondered the idea and the locals there will emphatically tell you that it's nearly impossible if you are not from the EU. Plus, after riding bitch on a high speed lap of the course, it makes you think twice about doing it not just because of you hurting yourself, but the rest of the idiots out there thinking they can drag a knee on an extremely tricky course while you're on it relying on them to be responsible.

During the morning hours before they are shutting the course down, the streets are clogged with vehicles trying to get to their location or squeeze in a lap before racing. Riding in Europe makes commuting on the 405 in LA look like riding a tricycle in a padded room.

FZRguy
Fri Jun 14th, 2013, 12:55 AM
Well, I'd be just as happy to ride it on a bicycle.

Tylar
Sun Jun 16th, 2013, 08:42 AM
Practice from Saturday, June 1 at Quarter Bridge at the bottom of Bray Hill. We usually see them about 20 seconds or so after they go through the grandstands/timing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zFXhpIT3oE&feature=share&list=PLSeJ6zeZRhOJDPZCDQR8i7t7uOpS59U4d

It's in HD, so make sure you select such else the quality is....suck.

Tylar
Thu Jun 20th, 2013, 01:54 PM
Okay, here it is. you'll note we went to London and Paris as well, feel free to troll around in those too.

http://keesetttrip2013.shutterfly.com/isleofman

Note: Dianese Superbike Race video at Braddan Bridge. @ 5minutes and 33 seconds the only Norton in the field goes by. The loudest bike in the Superbike race. Thing was ear shattering and you can hear it through the trees for the longest after they go full throttle over the rise just out of the left side of our view.

Peanut_EOD
Thu Jun 20th, 2013, 07:04 PM
My little brother went this year.

UHATEIT
Fri Jun 21st, 2013, 03:36 PM
JEALOUS AS FUCK! Thats probably on everyone's bucket list before they die!