PDA

View Full Version : Tire wear for track day

iquack08
Mon Jun 17th, 2013, 03:11 AM
I'm looking at July 1 for my first track day (full day) and was wondering if I need to change my front tire before then. I have a spare PP3 in stock, but I would prefer to change the tire afterward. Center is low on tread, but the sides are decent.

http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww85/iQuack08/IMG_0195_zps658cfc7a.jpg
http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww85/iQuack08/IMG_0196_zps38c3cc3a.jpg
http://i708.photobucket.com/albums/ww85/iQuack08/IMG_0198_zps4b0337ca.jpg

rybo
Mon Jun 17th, 2013, 03:59 AM
If you're questioning it at all I would suggest changing it. The track is considerably harder on tires than the street is because you get to use a much wider range of your motorcycle's performance envelope. The center of the tire is as important at the track as the sides as that is where you are going to be spending your time at full throttle or maximum braking.

To put it another way, if you think the new tire is a little expensive, imagine spending the money you're going to spend on gear, prep, getting to the track, fees and such and not having a good time because the rear tire spins up everywhere. Or worse, scaring yourself or falling down because there isn't enough grip.

What we do, while in a controlled environment, can be dangerous. Its also just about the most fun you can possibly have out of bed. Give yourself the best possible chance of having fun and staying safe by wearing gear that fits, and taking good care of your equipment.

My .02

Scott

Cornfed
Mon Jun 17th, 2013, 07:18 AM
If you're questioning it at all I would suggest changing it. The track is considerably harder on tires than the street is because you get to use a much wider range of your motorcycle's performance envelope. The center of the tire is as important at the track as the sides as that is where you are going to be spending your time at full throttle or maximum braking.

To put it another way, if you think the new tire is a little expensive, imagine spending the money you're going to spend on gear, prep, getting to the track, fees and such and not having a good time because the rear tire spins up everywhere. Or worse, scaring yourself or falling down because there isn't enough grip.

What we do, while in a controlled environment, can be dangerous. Its also just about the most fun you can possibly have out of bed. Give yourself the best possible chance of having fun and staying safe by wearing gear that fits, and taking good care of your equipment.

My .02

Scott

This. ^^^

Im a proponent of running the best tires you can afford, especially on the track. It gives an extra margin of error. When you start pushing your comfort level you begin to make mistakes, like stabbing the front brake, running in hot, getting off line and then grabbing a handful of throttle to make up for it. All things that upset the chassis and ask more of the tires than if you were being smooth. I've always considered the price of making repairs to my bike and replacing gear because I threw it on the ground vs. ponying up the $300 for some good rubber. Not a guarantee that you wont crash anyway, but then riding a guided missile has always been about managing risk not removing it.

iquack08
Mon Jun 17th, 2013, 10:58 AM
Alright, I will change out the tire before track day. I have all the tools at home, so it's not too much of an inconvenience for me. Will probably hold on to the used one so I can run it down later.

How many track days can I expect out of the new tire - new/slow group?

tecknojoe
Mon Jun 17th, 2013, 11:29 AM
a PP3 street tire at slow pace?

~10 full track days(max) depending on how fast you start to get