PDA

View Full Version : Carfax Check

Midget Hellion
Tue Jun 18th, 2013, 09:46 AM
I know Carfax isn't always reliable, I just want to use it as a tool. I was looking at a used car today, and a red flag was waved for me when the name of the guy I was talking to did not match the name or address of the registered owner. Can anyone run a carfax for me? VIN is 4M2ZU55P3WUJ19039

Thanks!

sloridr
Tue Jun 18th, 2013, 09:48 AM
He may be flipping it and just floating the title. Just a thought

jcj81
Tue Jun 18th, 2013, 10:01 AM
I've done that bought a car/truck needed fixed, repaired it and never titled in my name and sold it with title that I got from the person I bought it from.

Midget Hellion
Tue Jun 18th, 2013, 10:11 AM
I could buy that, but his story is that he uses it in winters, drives it up to Vail. Problem is, name and address don't match, and he said he already has the title signed and ready. I didn't get to see the actual title, and while it is possible he just never signed the title to complete the transaction...it is still suspicious.

Never hurts to check...

sloridr
Tue Jun 18th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Nothing wrong with checking it out. The sheriffs office may be able to run a vin check for you too. IDK for sure thugh.

asp_125
Tue Jun 18th, 2013, 10:56 AM
My old race bike came with a title and I never registered it, sold it with the previous owner's name on it.

tecknojoe
Tue Jun 18th, 2013, 10:59 AM
floating title is fine, just make sure it isn't already signed with a date. If it's dated and more than a month ago, you'll get hit with registration fees because it'll look like you bought it a long time ago and never registered

Midget Hellion
Tue Jun 18th, 2013, 11:15 AM
Supposedly it is already signed. I'm not saying it isn't legit, but before I drop cash on it, I need to do due diligence and be sure that I am not buying stolen property.

cbirchem0724
Mon Jul 22nd, 2013, 11:28 AM
I think you are fine. I have jumped titles like that a few times. If it was stolen he wouldnt have a title at all.