PDA

View Full Version : New mobile options for CSC!

rforsythe
Tue Jun 18th, 2013, 10:38 AM
With VB4 we now have a couple options for you mobile users:
1. Mobile theme! If you log in with a mobile device, it should automatically select this theme for you, however you can always select it from the themes drop-down at the bottom left. Likewise, when logging in you can select 'Full Site' at the bottom of a mobile-theme'd page to get back to the normal theme for whatever reason.

2. Forum Runner app! This is a 3rd-party app which can browse the forum, and works with over 7k other sites. The app does cost you $1.99, but that's really a minimal expense in my opinion. It seems to work pretty well, and includes "most recent" pages, etc. It's also supported natively by vBulletin out of the box.

We've been asked if we'll support Tapatalk at some point, however at this time the answer is still no. It doesn't give anything that the other options have other than being $1.99 cheaper for users, however because it's a 3rd-party add on it requires additional overhead to maintain, and can trip up our systems updates if the plug-in isn't able to support newer vB software yet. For that reason we generally shy away from any additional modules unless they add something pretty significant to the experience.

j0ker
Tue Jun 18th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Checks out from my phone. :)

asp_125
Tue Jun 18th, 2013, 11:35 AM
Works here. Samsung galaxy s3

blaircsf
Tue Jun 18th, 2013, 12:18 PM
Mobile theme works well for me. Who knows, might actually have to pay for an app and try Forum Runner (not that worried about $2).

vort3xr6
Tue Jun 18th, 2013, 12:19 PM
Can't view "new posts" or recent activity on mobile.

tecknojoe
Tue Jun 18th, 2013, 12:35 PM
Use the forum runner app. Developed by a buddy of mine that owns a sportbike forum. He rides too. support your peeps :cheers:

j0ker
Tue Jun 18th, 2013, 12:40 PM
Can't view "new posts" or recent activity on mobile.

I can. Samsung Galaxy Note II

TransNone13
Tue Jun 18th, 2013, 01:46 PM
Good news, glass is half full. Still hoping for a Tapatalk ver. If you can afford a cell phone bill, $1.99 is within reach.

Mother Goose
Tue Jun 18th, 2013, 02:01 PM
So are we getting Tapatalk or noooooo.... :mrt:

rforsythe
Tue Jun 18th, 2013, 02:20 PM
Good news, glass is half full. Still hoping for a Tapatalk ver. If you can afford a cell phone bill, $1.99 is within reach.

What is so special about tapatalk that would make it worth taking my time to install and maintain it, and ensure it doesn't break something with future upgrades? What does it do that the other two options can't get done for you?

TransNone13
Tue Jun 18th, 2013, 02:22 PM
This is the only other forum that matters to me and doesn't have it. In addition, the stand alone app is more useful than accessing the site through a browser. I couldn't even access the site directly on my Note 2 via Chrome. I had to Google, select one of the links below the main site (via the results), log in, and then go back to the forum. That was pretty unnecessary IMO.

For people who are members of a lot of forums, it makes more sense to have an app that aggregates everything.

j0ker
Tue Jun 18th, 2013, 02:23 PM
What is so special about tapatalk that would make it worth taking my time to install and maintain it, and ensure it doesn't break something with future upgrades? What does it do that the other two options can't get done for you?

It has a really nice easy to use interface, it is free and very very easy to install on the board.

I would use it over going with the mobile theme but hey, you do this shit for free. I am good with whatever you decide.

Tapatalk is nice though, especially if you already use it for all your other boards!

rforsythe
Tue Jun 18th, 2013, 02:29 PM
This is the only other forum that matters to me and doesn't have it. In addition, the stand alone app is more useful than accessing the site through a browser. I couldn't even access the site directly on my Note 2 via Chrome. I had to Google, select one of the links below the main site (via the results), log in, and then go back to the forum. That was pretty unnecessary IMO.

For people who are members of a lot of forums, it makes more sense to have an app that aggregates everything.

Not sure what you mean by not being able to "access the site directly"? Did you have some link that doesn't work? This is the first I'm hearing of site access issues at present since going to vb4. If you've found something broken please let me know where.

Matty
Tue Jun 18th, 2013, 02:31 PM
Huh?!?!?

<---- doesn't like change!

TransNone13
Tue Jun 18th, 2013, 02:37 PM
Not sure what you mean by not being able to "access the site directly"? Did you have some link that doesn't work? This is the first I'm hearing of site access issues at present since going to vb4. If you've found something broken please let me know where.

I understand it's additional work, I'd be happy to donate more/again if it would encourage you otherwise and offer the service for other members as well. I needed to clear my cache, sorry for the false alarm :-/.

rforsythe
Tue Jun 18th, 2013, 02:43 PM
I understand it's additional work, I'd be happy to donate more/again if it would encourage you otherwise and offer the service for other members as well. Here is a screenshot from my Note 2, any link that tries to go the forum index via Chrome results in this. I understand this will vary on device and browser, but just highlighting why I don't like web based forum apps. I think it has to do with the new directory locations and google's index.

Ah ok, I see why that's broken. I have the index.html redirecting directly to the forum activity stream for now until the CMS gets fixed, but index.php isn't doing that. For people who just go to www.cosportbikeclub.org the server will redir for you, but since you're trying to hit the php directly it's 404'ing out. I'll take care of that. Your issue isn't a note/chrome/browser/theme thing, it's just a missing file on the server.

Nick_Ninja
Tue Jun 18th, 2013, 03:47 PM
One helluva job Ralph! :up:

UHATEIT
Tue Jul 9th, 2013, 09:56 PM
The 8 selection boxes are nice. Wish there was one for "my subscriptions" so you could pull up a list of active threads rather than going to profile settings and finding it from there. All in all pretty good! Before it also had the most recent thread in each section on the side, does that 1.99 app show that since you mentioned the most recent page thing.