PDA

View Full Version : We Have Fires... Be Mindful

sprtbkbabe
Tue Jun 25th, 2013, 01:13 PM
^^As if it hasn't been obvious enough in this state this season. But, remember that we're going to have lots of wildlife freaking out in the canyons.

CDOT:Reminder to everybody! Especially with recent wildfires, our furry friends across the state are on the move (especially at dawn and dusk) and many have little ones this time of year. Please keep an eye out for them near the highways!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s403x403/1005135_521733474548230_1775400592_n.jpg
(https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=521733474548230&set=a.249799021741678.76857.186366104751637&type=1&relevant_count=1&ref=nf)

Frankie675
Tue Jun 25th, 2013, 01:33 PM
I don't know about everyone else but I've had more deer encounters in the past month than I've had any other riding year in colo. Just last week I had to make a quick stop on the highway to prepare for a deer that was about to make his way onto the road. Fortunately an oncoming unattentative motorist took him out before the deer leaped to my side of the highway.

Rabbie303
Tue Jun 25th, 2013, 02:55 PM
Fortunately an oncoming unattentative motorist took him out before the deer leaped to my side of the highway.

You mean they hit the deer?

Sully
Tue Jun 25th, 2013, 04:54 PM
As I was heading to Park Meadows today, I saw the one on I-25 and Orchard on the left shoulder :( poor Bambi was lost

mdub
Tue Jun 25th, 2013, 06:15 PM
I don't know about everyone else but I've had more deer encounters in the past month than I've had any other riding year in colo. Just last week I had to make a quick stop on the highway to prepare for a deer that was about to make his way onto the road. Fortunately an oncoming unattentative motorist took him out before the deer leaped to my side of the highway.

My first encounter with a deer was on June 5th...2nd day into the vacation deer comes torpedoing out of the woods and T-bones me. I saw her coming. i was able to swerve a bit to the right. If i did not the deer would've hit the left front corner of my new truck, vacation over....But fortunately enuff the collision only damage front left fender, driver door, rear passenger door. Unable to open driver door. Rear passenger window would not go down....damn deer almost made me cry. Wife and kids said at least we did not get harmed.. Yes thank goodness. On with vacation....I should get my truck back this Friday....woo hoo......

Drama2
Tue Jun 25th, 2013, 06:22 PM
I would agree, had 2 this sunday, one straight into the trip in Morrison and the second somewhere up a Moose in a woman's windshield. My mouth dropped and double looked on that one. Be careful everyone.

jslew
Tue Jun 25th, 2013, 08:51 PM
As I was heading to Park Meadows today, I saw the one on I-25 and Orchard on the left shoulder :( poor Bambi was lost

I saw that, but couldn't figure out what it was!! Figured it was a dog - not named Lucky.

summit82
Wed Jun 26th, 2013, 09:43 AM
A very experienced rider on this forum had a collision with a deer near Deckers about a week ago. He was saved by his helmet.

Sight distance is very limited in some of the fun tight turns which means reaction time and stopping distance are also very limited. Probably wise to look out as far as possible and keep the speed under control in these turns with the expectation of wildlife.

Frankie675
Wed Jun 26th, 2013, 10:01 AM
I was always curious on what to do when you hit a deer? Tuck and hope you split it in half?

My dads friend hit a deer. The deer attempted to leap over him on the highway at 60mph. The guy hit the deer right in the gut. The deer split open flipped over the bars and ripped the guy off the back of the bike. The guy wasn't severly hurt, but sore from going down at 60mph. He showed me the pics. Him and his bike covered from head to toe in deer blood and guts.

tecknojoe
Wed Jun 26th, 2013, 11:46 AM
Happens all the time at my home track. Just tuck and cross fingers.

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/p480x480/1604_10151535922924495_1476908445_n.jpg

Drama2
Fri Jun 28th, 2013, 08:33 PM
Crossing fingers is right. I work in an ER and today a 25 yr old came in and the only part of his body that didn't have chunks of flesh removed from the pavement was his head and that is because he wore a helmet but nothing else. He swerved to avoid a dear and hit a guadrail, very lucky indeed. Wish I could post pics to put a scare in the non protective gear folks.

UHATEIT
Tue Jul 2nd, 2013, 10:31 AM
My brother in law hit a deer at 70 back in 2004, luckily he just flew straight over it and slid on the pavement and didnt slide/roll into anything else and was fully geared. Basically did a superman over the deer. But the airlift and medical bills he is STILL paying for and this accident happened in 2004!

sprtbkbabe
Tue Jul 2nd, 2013, 10:56 AM
Then again, maybe watch out for humping cows... :think:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMWxKYtV3TU

jcj81
Tue Jul 2nd, 2013, 11:34 AM
Had two horses on the road by themselves up Left hand Sunday afternoon.