PDA

View Full Version : Tire changing kit on the trail.

asp_125
Wed Jul 3rd, 2013, 01:11 PM
I was at Fays over the lunch hour picking up some bolts, and looked at putting together a tire changing kit for the trail. Remember, dirt noob here.

What kind of tire irons (spoons) are easiest for a noob to use on the trail? There were simple ones that looked like bent pieces of steel bar, and other longer ones that were spoon shaped and had a screwdriver handle. I suppose the longer ones have better leverage but are bulky to carry on the trail. Also, should I get 2 or three of them? Are rim protectors really needed? Worse case, I bought a bunch of industrial zip ties so at least I can limp back to the trailhead.

Frankie675
Wed Jul 3rd, 2013, 01:59 PM
Yeah I was just looking at Rockymountainadv.com and wanted to pick up a nice tire changing trail kit. I just don't know what to get. I think I'm going to go with a bigger Mtn Bike setup that i'm used to.

3 irons - the simple ones that are flat and have a little bead lip
Rim Protectors - cheap
Patches/some sort of sewing string and material
Bicycle Pump or Co2 cartridge

I want to be able to fit all of this into a little tube or fender bag

TFOGGuys
Wed Jul 3rd, 2013, 02:42 PM
The ones we use in the shop are the long Motion Pro curved irons, but they are about 16 inches long and darn heavy. The most popular ones I sell for trail use are about 8.5 inches long and basically straight. Rim protectors are cheap and light. Carry a spare front tube, which can be used in the rear in a pinch, a decent tube patch kit, and a CO2 inflator with extra cartridges. You should also have a small plastic squirt bottle with some soapy water in it to lube the beads coming off and going back on, which makes the process infinitely easier. Practice at home, because it's no fun climbing the learning curve at dusk on the side of a trail 30 miles from pavement.

asp_125
Wed Jul 3rd, 2013, 09:06 PM
I suppose it's only slightly more complicated than changing a tube on my MTB. But yeah, probably some practice in the garage (with a beer) might help. ;)

FZRguy
Thu Jul 4th, 2013, 01:44 AM
I would not remotely compare it to changing a MTB tire/tube. Motion Pro = FTW http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/tools/category/tire_wheel/

FZRguy
Thu Jul 4th, 2013, 01:48 AM
Also the YouTube vids that Bueller posted a while back are excellent. Technique is everything!

FZRguy
Thu Jul 4th, 2013, 02:01 AM
Can't find his post but watch some vids for technique tips.

Sean
Thu Jul 4th, 2013, 11:04 AM
for trail use are about 8.5 inches long and basically straight. Rim protectors are cheap and light. Carry a spare front tube, which can be used in the rear in a pinch, a decent tube patch kit, and a CO2 inflator with extra cartridges. You should also have a small plastic squirt bottle with some soapy water in it to lube the beads coming off and going back on, which makes the process infinitely easier. Practice at home, because it's no fun climbing the learning curve at dusk on the side of a trail 30 miles from pavement.I had 3-8.5" irons. 2 is probably enough, but 3 is pretty handy. I was also wrestling a bigger tire then yours. I didn't carry rim protectors cause the rims were already marked up. It's up to you, not a bad idea though. I never carried soapy water but that's not a bad idea either. It really helps pop the seal back on. You could also ride it for a little bit if it doesn't seat and then try again.

Technique is everything!
This.