PDA

View Full Version : Carb Tuning necessary?

the_alpinestar
Thu Dec 12th, 2002, 01:56 AM
Someone at work has an R6 purchased from North Carolina and is now here to stay. His R6 is carbed and has about 1300 miles on it. What type of service or adjustments will be necessary if any at all as far as tuning the carbs? Infact I'm not even sure bikes sold in Colorado are any different from other locations in the country...or are all adjustments made at dealerships? Is his bike running rich or is there a way to tell? pls advice....thanks in advance.

Wil

Anonymous
Thu Dec 12th, 2002, 10:21 AM
With 1300 miles there won't be much to tell yet, usually the least labor-intensive way to check is just pull one of the plugs and look for carbon deposits. Alternatively you can find a local shop that can do an EGA on it (Exhaust Gas Analysis) and find out that way.

I can tell you that the bike is definitely not jetted for this altitude, and dealerships out here don't prep them either. By rejetting, you will not only tune the proper mixture for this altitude, but increase the overall percentage of that mixture and gain power in the end. You won't notice it so much at Denver altitude, but as soon as the bike hits about 9,000 feet in the mountain twisties you will see serious power drops (and potential stalling at idle) unless it's rejetted from sea level to here.

jwimbauer
Tue Dec 31st, 2002, 01:30 PM
Someone at work has an R6 purchased from North Carolina and is now here to stay. His R6 is carbed and has about 1300 miles on it. What type of service or adjustments will be necessary if any at all as far as tuning the carbs? Infact I'm not even sure bikes sold in Colorado are any different from other locations in the country...or are all adjustments made at dealerships? Is his bike running rich or is there a way to tell? pls advice....thanks in advance.

Wil

I can give you some proper jetting numbers regarding this altitude. Be careful when you try to jet it on a dyno since most folks don't incorporate the ram-air effect. Most R6s that have been tuned on dynos run hot and way lean at full throttle. It helps a lot to put a dyno-jet kit in the bike since it makes the needle/half-throttle respond better.

thanks

jurgen

Cap
Tue Dec 31st, 2002, 02:23 PM
Will, Jurgen knows, his son raced a R6 in the MRA for some of the races last year. Good to see you found us Jurgen!

jwimbauer
Wed Jan 1st, 2003, 11:13 AM
Will, Jurgen knows, his son raced a R6 in the MRA for some of the races last year. Good to see you found us Jurgen!

Thanks cap,

Staggering the mainjets didn't seem to make a huge difference either as we found out. Proper jetting is so damn important and an easy way to loose 4-6 HP easy. Running the two-strokes for years taught us how to focus on jetting. Our CO numbers were 132-134 mains (dyno jets), needs in the middle with the washer laying underneath (half step leaner).

Can't wait to get the new R6 and plug in the ECU to re-program the FI. Does anybody have good/bad experiences with the Power Commander setup?

Thanks

Jurgen