PDA

View Full Version : Ran my S1000RR at PMP this last Friday

Aaron
Sun Jul 7th, 2013, 11:52 PM
Aside from a couple guys running time trials on slow bikes, there were 2 new sport-bikes there other than myself. A GSX-R 1000, stretched, lowered, nitrous, and an exhaust. There was also a ZX-14R, also stretched, lowered, with an exhaust. Then mine, without any performance modifications.

First things first, I can't launch this bike for SHIT. BMW puts a light on the dash for launching, and says best launches come between 7-8,000 rpm (Redline is 14.2). While riding with Drano I nailed a launch on the street, it was perfect. I launched from 8,000, spun for about 10ft before it hooked and took off. It couldn't have been better. So I figured 8,000 would be good at the track, but never had any tire spin. And I wanted a little bit of spin to help get the revs up. Looking back at how sticky the surface was, I really should have been launching at 9 or even higher. Oh well.

So I ran almost the entire 1/8mi in 1st gear, but then needed 4th to get through the quarter! Both of the other bikes beat me to the 1/8 mile, but I beat both to the 1/4mi. I guess I never realized how strong this BMW was up high. Once I hit the top of 1st gear (Which redlines at 94mph), I would start gaining on the 14 and the 1k FAST. The Gixxer was faster than the 14 as well, but that was all the nitrous I think. Either way this bike would be absolutely brutal at the drags if I could ride, it had better gearing, and a way to keep the front end down.

My best time was a 11.1 at 136. My slowest was a 11.9 at 135. Clearly I've got the power (Look at those traps!), just can't ride for shit.

Husky
Mon Jul 8th, 2013, 05:49 AM
Aside from a couple guys running time trials on slow bikes, there were 2 new sport-bikes there other than myself. A GSX-R 1000, stretched, lowered, nitrous, and an exhaust. There was also a ZX-14R, also stretched, lowered, with an exhaust. Then mine, without any performance modifications.

First things first, I can't launch this bike for SHIT. BMW puts a light on the dash for launching, and says best launches come between 7-8,000 rpm (Redline is 14.2). While riding with Drano I nailed a launch on the street, it was perfect. I launched from 8,000, spun for about 10ft before it hooked and took off. It couldn't have been better. So I figured 8,000 would be good at the track, but never had any tire spin. And I wanted a little bit of spin to help get the revs up. Looking back at how sticky the surface was, I really should have been launching at 9 or even higher. Oh well.

So I ran almost the entire 1/8mi in 1st gear, but then needed 4th to get through the quarter! Both of the other bikes beat me to the 1/8 mile, but I beat both to the 1/4mi. I guess I never realized how strong this BMW was up high. Once I hit the top of 1st gear (Which redlines at 94mph), I would start gaining on the 14 and the 1k FAST. The Gixxer was faster than the 14 as well, but that was all the nitrous I think. Either way this bike would be absolutely brutal at the drags if I could ride, it had better gearing, and a way to keep the front end down.

My best time was a 11.1 at 136. My slowest was a 11.9 at 135. Clearly I've got the power (Look at those traps!), just can't ride for shit.

Get your self a front end lowering strap and you will cut down on the wheelies and shave 2 to 3 tenths off your e.t. Not sure what your 60 foot times were but practice those and for every tenth you shave off your 60 foot time it will be good for 2 tenths off the quarter mile and you will easily have a 10 second run.

Aaron
Mon Jul 8th, 2013, 09:54 AM
Thanks for the advice. The bike easily has a high 10 in it, dare I say a mid 10 with a proper rider, although I doubt it'd pick up much more in trap speed. I believe my 60s were in the mid 2s? I'd have to check to be sure, but they weren't good haha. Although I had a lot of fun and will probably go again, the strip doesn't get my heart beating like it does yours, so I probably won't spend any money trying to make the bike get down it any faster.

The BMW HP4 has launch control, and I'd love to have that, eliminates all of the guessing work. Too rich for my blood though!

Clovis
Mon Jul 8th, 2013, 11:01 PM
My mothership ran 10.9... just say'n ;)

Aaron
Mon Jul 8th, 2013, 11:50 PM
Your motorhome also ran into the pavement... A couple times!

And we're talking an amateur rider at 5,000ft elevation, not a pro at sea level!

texlurch
Tue Jul 9th, 2013, 05:35 AM
It's hard for an amatuer to launch one at stock height. Lots and lots of practice required.
A front strap will help, but you are still fighting a tall sportbike

Any 60 ft below a 2.00 would be considered good for the "average" rider on a stock height sportbike.

How is PMP these days? It's been 20 some odd years since I've run anything there.
I need to tune my 12R up and take it out one of these days.

Aaron
Tue Jul 9th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Doesn't make me feel so bad then.

PMP was pretty impressive, I was shocked. All of the problems I used to have with it have been dealt with. It's still no Bandimere in terms of amenities, but as far as track condition goes I'd say it rivals Bandimere. They take time in between runs to scrub/prep the track, and the launching area was sticky as could be. I plan on taking my car out there as soon as I fix the oil leak. Prices did go up by about $10, but at $25 it's still not bad at all.

Grim2.0
Tue Jul 9th, 2013, 10:52 AM
How much does it cost to run at Bandimere....anyone?

texlurch
Tue Jul 9th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Good to know. I am a tad closer to PMP if I run the backroads.

Aaron
Tue Jul 9th, 2013, 11:15 AM
I believe I paid $45 last time at Bandimere about a year ago, but someone probably knows better. The good thing about PMP is you can get a lot of runs in. I got 5 runs I believe, and that included a 1 hour rain delay and I left early. I could've easily gotten 8 on an average night, whereas at Bandimere I got 3.

JKOL
Tue Jul 9th, 2013, 11:27 AM

You thinking about a trip to the 1/4? Does this mean you got your hands on something better for drag strip than the DRZ?

I would be all for spending a night at Bandimere when I finish up here in a few weeks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9P2b_ygxIRY

Husky
Tue Jul 9th, 2013, 12:00 PM

Every Wed. there is a test n tune. Costs $30 and you run as many times as you want. If you get there early you can get anywhere from 3-8 runs but of course as it gets later the lanes start filling up and you're lucky to get 3 runs. Pueblo is fun in the sense that you can make back to back runs as they will let you just keep doing time runs, on the bad side of that the track is not prepped as good as Bandimere and you will have taction issues if you start getting good 60 foot times.

This Friday Bandimere is having a all Sportbike Race which is a E.T style race so it doesnt matter if you have a 250cc Ninja or a 1400cc ZX14 as everyone will have a equal chance at winning. Its $35 on Friday which also gives you 2 practice runs before the race. Come on out just to see what your bike will do or see if you can clean up and put some of those pesky Hayabusas on the trailer.

Aaron
Tue Jul 9th, 2013, 12:06 PM
If anyone is interested hitting up PMP, I've got a buy one get one free for entrance fees. So we could split it and it'd cost just $12.50 each.

WolFeYeZ
Tue Jul 9th, 2013, 12:29 PM
This Friday Bandimere is having a all Sportbike Race which is a E.T style race so it doesnt matter if you have a 250cc Ninja or a 1400cc ZX14 as everyone will have a equal chance at winning. Its $35 on Friday which also gives you 2 practice runs before the race. Come on out just to see what your bike will do or see if you can clean up and put some of those pesky Hayabusas on the trailer.

How does this work exactly?

Aaron
Tue Jul 9th, 2013, 12:40 PM
You dial in your time, and then whoever gets closest to their dialed in time, without beating it, wins. It also uses Reaction Time, whereas your time starts at 0.000 on their clock (Around the second yellow), not when your bike actually leaves the line.

In traditional time only runs, your time starts when your front wheel leaves the sensor. The Reaction Time has nothing to do with your quarter mile time, but is still recorded.

I'm not a fan of this type of racing (The first) for a few reasons. First, the slowest bikes have the biggest advantage. They are the easiest to launch consistently. Next, it becomes a race of reaction times. No longer is it about having the fastest machine, it's about who times the lights the best. Lastly, if you red-light on a run, the clocks stop and your run is trashed. I prefer waiting for the green light, getting a half second reaction time, and never chancing throwing a run away.

Grim2.0
Tue Jul 9th, 2013, 01:45 PM
I just want to see how fast the Sv1000 is, then maybe the DRZ cause it would be funny as shit seeing how it will barely hit 100MPH :lol:

Husky
Tue Jul 9th, 2013, 03:49 PM
How does this work exactly?

E.T racing has been around for a long time and is alot of fun as it gives everyone a equal chance to win whether you are a beginner rider or a experienced rider and doesnt matter how fast of a bike/car you have.

At the races you will get 2 practice runs and lets say your bike runs 13 seconds in the quarter mile and you go up against a bike that runs 10 seconds in the 1/4 mile. On the starting line you will both line up side by side but you will get a 3 second head start and as long as you crossed the finish line first you would win the race. Sounds easy right? Well this is where your reaction time plays a big part. Like in any race you want to leave the start line as quickly as possilbe because if you sit there combing your hair while the other guy takes off most likely he will wiin, so your reaction time is importan how quickly you leave the starting line. Also like in any other race if you leave before the race actually starts you will get a foul aka red light and automatically lose the race.

Now some guys may think that they can sand bag and go out here and win the races by saying their hayabusa runs 13 seconds when it actually runs 9's. In this situation if you dial in a 13 and run a 9 you will lose by whats called breaking out. These are just some of the basics. There are many other scenerios that can happen but over all anyone can participate with a equal advantage and have the same chance to win. It doesnt matter if you have Nitrous, Turbo or a completly stock Ninja 250cc.

Come on out and have some fun. If you have any questions I will be happy to help you out. I have been doing this for many years and more often than not get put on the trailer by the guy that is out their for the first time.

Aaron
Tue Jul 9th, 2013, 04:33 PM
I stand corrected, I thought the winner was whoever got closer to their dial in time.

Personally I'm not a fan of it, but that's because I mainly go out there just to see what my car/bike will run, and in E/T racing your R/T has an impact on your overall time, which I don't care for because then you start trying for a better R/T instead of a better overall run. Different strokes for different folks!

At PMP they do both at the same time. They'll run the motorcycle ET, high school ET, and street slick ET, then they run time only which is what I run. It's also cheapest.

Husky
Tue Jul 9th, 2013, 05:17 PM
I stand corrected, I thought the winner was whoever got closer to their dial in time.

Personally I'm not a fan of it, but that's because I mainly go out there just to see what my car/bike will run, and in E/T racing your R/T has an impact on your overall time, which I don't care for because then you start trying for a better R/T instead of a better overall run. Different strokes for different folks!

At PMP they do both at the same time. They'll run the motorcycle ET, high school ET, and street slick ET, then they run time only which is what I run. It's also cheapest.

You are not necessarily wrong as the person closest to their dial in time usually is the first person over the finish line, but your reaction time has nothing to do with your over all time at all. You could sit on the starting line for 10 minutes after the light turns green and than go and you will still have the same over all time. The reaction time is measured by when the light turns green and how long it takes you to start moving, once you start moving that is when the clocks start to calculate your 60' time, 1/8 mile time etc.

Aaron
Tue Jul 9th, 2013, 05:32 PM
Ha I was wrong about that too! I'm just going to shut my mouth ;)

Husky
Tue Jul 9th, 2013, 05:49 PM
Ha I was wrong about that too! I'm just going to shut my mouth ;)

Ahhh, really dont matter who is right/wrong. What matters is that you seem to be having alot of fun and enjoying your bike. You have a very fast bike that makes alot of HP and your definately running some very respectable times. Let us know how you do next time out, I bet with a little practice you'll be in the 10's. Good luck.