PDA

View Full Version : UFC 162 Spoiler: So who want to talk Anderson Silva

bulldog
Tue Jul 9th, 2013, 08:43 AM
So the Spider's winning streak is over after being knocked out by Chris Weidman on Saturday. Anderson was acting a fool with his hands down and chin up mocking Chris for most the fight. Anderson got caught while acting a fool, granted he has done this before but never this bad.

Well the more me and my buddies talk about it, the more I am wondering if Anderson intentionally lost or just didn't try too hard. UFC has a "Champion" clause in their contracts that states a fighter cannot retire if they are champ, so could it be possible he wanted to lose so he was not stuck in this contract clause? It would allow him to do the boxing match he has talked about against Roy Jones JR, plus open him up to the super fights with GSP and Jones he wants without having to worry about the title contender matches. Anderson's after fight interview made it clear he is not interested in a rematch (at the time, maybe he has changed his mind now) and basically said he was tired of title fights and wanted to focus on other fights. Could a champ really intentionally lose or did he just get caught????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=sq477k_yF4c

Some highlights of the fight
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1695916-ufc-162-full-fight-video-highlights-chris-weidman-kos-anderson-silva

Ezzzzy1
Tue Jul 9th, 2013, 10:41 AM
Anderson was doing what he always does and finally got caught. Simple as that.

I would imagine that a refocused/energized Anderson would destroy Weidman but I couldnt imagine Silva just throwing in the towel essentially.

In an interview with BJ Penn, Penn was saying "most people wont understand but what if he [Silva] just got board?" and I think thats a fair question. Not to say that the fire wasnt there but there was just something about Silva the past month that didnt convince me that he was in it to win it anymore.

Ezzzzy1
Tue Jul 9th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Here is a great quote from Weidman:

"I’m not here to change other people’s opinion but I’ll tell you one thing: he did not give me the belt, he did not throw the fight. It was nothing like that. He was doing exactly what he does in all his fights. He had his hands down, he was trying to mentally defeat me, make me freeze, make me feel like I didn’t deserve to be in the ring with him. I didn’t want to let him do that. I wanted to put him in his place, and that’s it. I think he’s still unbelievable, I think he’s still the greatest of all time, and I think I’d still beat him again."

bulldog
Tue Jul 9th, 2013, 11:00 AM
Yeah what you posted makes sense….maybe he just got bored and didn't try that hard and finally got caught. I give Weidman a lot of credit though and think he is a great fighter and has earned his place where he is at. But like BJ Penn said it just didn't seem like Silva was all into it and his statements made me think maybe he wanted to lose. I mean he has taunted people before to get in there heads but I don't remember it ever being that bad. Although if he wanted to throw the fight I'd think he would just have tapped on that ankle lock in first round. If Anderson did lose fairly I am glad because I don't get how anyone think they are that good to be leaving hands down and chin up. I could never imagine GSP doing this as he takes every match serious.

I just am interested to see what Silva's next move will be that will hopefully clear up some of these questions. The sad thing is Dayna White said there was a big GSP announcement he would make at UFC 162. Guess it was the super fight with GSP and Silva, but since Silva lost it was not announced.

Ezzzzy1
Tue Jul 9th, 2013, 11:06 AM
I would imagine that now is the time for the "super fight" to go down. If you figure that GSP was the one holding off and not wanting to fight Silva maybe now that Silva has lost GSPs camp will take a shot at it. Who knows.

Either way Silva is going to get PPPPAID... Super fight, rematch.

Silva did say though that he wasnt going to fight for the title. Im wondering what that means.

j0ker
Tue Jul 9th, 2013, 11:13 AM
Anderson is still my favorite fighter, but he damn well have gotten bored. He looks like he just got caught though on that final shot. He was pushing back with his head as Weidman is punching through. -SNAP- Eyes roll up and its over.

bulldog
Tue Jul 9th, 2013, 11:19 AM
I would imagine that now is the time for the "super fight" to go down. If you figure that GSP was the one holding off and not wanting to fight Silva maybe now that Silva has lost GSPs camp will take a shot at it. Who knows.

Either way Silva is going to get PPPPAID... Super fight, rematch.

Silva did say though that he wasnt going to fight for the title. Im wondering what that means. Well no, it was already set to be announced Saturday, but Silva losing made the prospect of a rematch more enticing I guess; so really Silva screwed this up. Now GSP is back to fighting Johnny Hendricks!

I just think Silva is not interested in the title and cares more about Super Fights and huge pay days! Plus now he can pick the fights he wants without worrying about the next contendor; he really did not seem to want to fight Weidman in the first place. I really feel Roy Jones Jr and some special UFC boxing match is what may go down http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ufc/2013/07/04/dana-white-talking-to-roy-jones-jr-for-fight-vs-anderson-silva/2490753/

This is also eerie how they compared the two recent loses of Silva and Jones Jr and how close it does fit http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ghost-roy-jones-jr-led-anderson-silvas-demise-193900510.html

~Barn~
Tue Jul 9th, 2013, 11:41 AM
I don't doubt that the "weight" of having and defending the belt for so many years, has started wearing on him. The pressure of something like that is probably so great I can't even imagine, but what I do know is that Anderson is a fighter through-and-through and I HIGHLY doubt that he "didn't try hard" in any respect.

Once that cage door locked behind them and Chris Weidman took him down and started punching and elbowing him in the face, I can all but guarantee that Anderson wanted to get back up, get back into the fight and win it spectacularly. The truth is that in the 1st round, Weidman hurt Silva and made him feel his top control. Anderson knows that his bread&butter is his kickboxing, so when the 2nd round was underway, all the show-boating and taunting was (like always) an attempt to goad Chris into emotional or reckless striking that Silva often counters with devastating results.

To Weidman's credit however, he did not let Silva's display get the better of him. Yes, he did seem to be more willing to stand and trade instead of forcing a takedown or tie-up, but he kept his forward pressure tempered and did not throw sloppy "angry" strikes. In the end though, Silva histrionics were eventually his undoing, and Chris's steady and controlled forward pressure put him in range for the crisp left-hook to the jaw.

Make know mistake though... Silva and Weidman both wanted to win that fight, but Silva's tactics eventually found their equal and he paid for it with his belt and his grace. I think Silva should have realized that he was getting what he was wanting (Chris on his feet), and instead of continuing to "force" his gamesmanship, should have continued to throw leg kicks and be offensive. Even if he doesn't KO Weidman, he could have starting pushing the tide back in his favor and score, as well as put some doubt back into the young challengers head. All he really succeeding in doing, was motivating Weidman to pursue his attack.

*IF* they do ever rematch, Silva will need to be attacking rather than look to counter-attacking. That of course will open him up to Weidman's wrestling and grappling game, so all-in-all, it's still doesn't change the fact that it's a tough matchup for him. Even if he does lose again, it would be far more satisfying (for me as a fan) to see the best of each man, instead of one man capitalizing on a flawed strategy.

bulldog
Tue Jul 9th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Anderson is still my favorite fighter, but he damn well have gotten bored. He looks like he just got caught though on that final shot. He was pushing back with his head as Weidman is punching through. -SNAP- Eyes roll up and its over. I have to be honest and say I lost respect for Anderson after this fight. I just don't like the show boating and would prefer fighters to show this is a respected sport because I already hear enough hate about UFC. As a champion I thought it was in poor taste the way he acted; sure what he says is respectful, but sometimes actions speak louder than words. Seems like others felt that way as he did get booed by the crowd.

First thing I got Sunday morning walking into the gym by my UFC buddy haters (boxing lovers) was "so was that WWE or UFC". So disappointing....

bulldog
Tue Jul 9th, 2013, 12:49 PM
Well my inside info is saying Silva vs Weidman rematch on December 28th...straight bumped Rhonda vs Meisha off the card

Mother Goose
Tue Jul 9th, 2013, 01:17 PM
I'm glad he got knocked out while he was doing that. I liked him as a fighter, but hated it when he'd do that. Serves him right losing like that.

Ezzzzy1
Tue Jul 9th, 2013, 01:25 PM
I'm glad he got knocked out while he was doing that. I liked him as a fighter, but hated it when he'd do that. Serves him right losing like that.

This is exactly what 90% of the fans are saying. Ive always enjoyed watching Silva kick the shit out of all my favorites but every time he did his hands down dance I always hoped someone would knock him out.

bulldog
Tue Jul 9th, 2013, 01:28 PM
This is exactly what 90% of the fans are saying. Ive always enjoyed watching Silva kick the shit out of all my favorites but every time he did his hands down dance I always hoped someone would knock him out. I always think of his match with Forrest Griffin; first time I remember him doing that. Then he lands this small punch on Griffin while doing that and he goes down hard......Stephen Bonnar lands like 300 hits on Forrest and couldn't finish him, but one small punch by Silva knocked him out :lol:

http://mma-gifs.tumblr.com/post/24660878055/ufc-101-forrest-griffin-vs-anderson-silva
http://www.mma-core.com/gifs/10000811/knockouts_Anderson_Silva_Knocks_Down_Forrest_Griff in_Again_UFC_101_Dec.gif

j0ker
Tue Jul 9th, 2013, 02:23 PM
My first taekwondo instructor would do that crap when he sparred at tournaments. Dancing around with his hands down just out of range. It was always embarrassing too. One time, this guy he was fighting in a tourny threw a jump spin back kick right as my instructor was back peddling with his hands down. B00M Knock out.

There were many good lessons that day!

Ezzzzy1
Tue Jul 9th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Crazy how much the pays differ...

Chris Weidman: $48,000 (includes $24,000 win bonus)
def. Anderson Silva: $600,000
Frankie Edgar: $240,000 (includes $120,000 win bonus)
def. Charles Oliveira: $21,000
Tim Kennedy: $90,000 (includes $30,000 win bonus)
def. Roger Gracie: $50,000
Mark Munoz: $84,000 (includes $42,000 win bonus)
def. Tim Boetsch: $37,000
Cub Swanson: $58,000 (includes $29,000 win bonus)
def. Dennis Siver: $33,000
Andrew Craig: $24,000 (includes $12,000 win bonus)
def. Chris Leben: $51,000
Norman Parke: $30,000 (includes $15,000 win bonus)
def. Kazuki Tokudome: $8,000
Gabriel Gonzaga: $58,000 (includes $29,000 win bonus)
def. Dave Herman: $23,000
Edson Barboza: $46,000 (includes $23,000 win bonus)
def. Rafaello Oliveira: $14,000
Brian Melancon: $16,000 (includes $8,000 win bonus)
def. Seth Baczynski: $16,000

bulldog
Tue Jul 9th, 2013, 02:47 PM
Crazy how much the pays differ...

Chris Weidman: $48,000 (includes $24,000 win bonus)
def. Anderson Silva: $600,000
Frankie Edgar: $240,000 (includes $120,000 win bonus)
def. Charles Oliveira: $21,000
Tim Kennedy: $90,000 (includes $30,000 win bonus)
def. Roger Gracie: $50,000
Mark Munoz: $84,000 (includes $42,000 win bonus)
def. Tim Boetsch: $37,000
Cub Swanson: $58,000 (includes $29,000 win bonus)
def. Dennis Siver: $33,000
Andrew Craig: $24,000 (includes $12,000 win bonus)
def. Chris Leben: $51,000
Norman Parke: $30,000 (includes $15,000 win bonus)
def. Kazuki Tokudome: $8,000
Gabriel Gonzaga: $58,000 (includes $29,000 win bonus)
def. Dave Herman: $23,000
Edson Barboza: $46,000 (includes $23,000 win bonus)
def. Rafaello Oliveira: $14,000
Brian Melancon: $16,000 (includes $8,000 win bonus)
def. Seth Baczynski: $16,000

According to what I have heard they get "locker room" bonuses that are not posted, so they get more than what people think. Then there are fight of night, KO of night, submission of night bonuses too. Like I know UFC has bought quite a few fighters expensive cars; Jon Jones and Ronda Rousey both got cars as bonuses after their fights. But yeah it varies greatly based on popularity and stuff like that. Still not as bad as boxing though who have like 5 fighters who make nearly all the money.

bulldog
Tue Jul 9th, 2013, 02:50 PM
According to what I have heard they get "locker room" bonuses that are not posted, so they get more than what people think. Then there are fight of night, KO of night, submission of night bonuses too. Like I know UFC has bought quite a few fighters expensive cars; Jon Jones and Ronda Rousey both got cars as bonuses after their fights. But yeah it varies greatly based on popularity and stuff like that. Still not as bad as boxing though who have like 5 fighters who make nearly all the money.

My first taekwondo instructor would do that crap when he sparred at tournaments. Dancing around with his hands down just out of range. It was always embarrassing too. One time, this guy he was fighting in a tourny threw a jump spin back kick right as my instructor was back peddling with his hands down. B00M Knock out.

There were many good lessons that day! :spit: Serves him right; nobody is immortal and they are always one hit away from being knocked out! Like I hate when people say they cannot be knocked out. Unless they are a alien and not human they can be knocked out. I still remember the fighter on TUF that kept saying that and he let a heavy weight punch him and fool went out for a long time and woke up and still argued he wasn't out.