PDA

View Full Version : Restaurants

birchyboy
Thu Jul 11th, 2013, 04:05 PM
We tend to go to either chains or small restaurants that we know. We happened to go to CoraFay's at 28th and Colfax the other night and had a great meal. Between all of us, we had catfish, fried chicken, mac & cheese, okra and lots of other stuff. The food was pretty awesome and the prices were even better!

Anyone care to share some favorite places that others may not know about?

mdub
Thu Jul 11th, 2013, 04:26 PM
there is Bucci's 8030 S Holly St Centennial, CO 80122
...Grt Greek/Italian food for a mom and pop's establishment. It is not a big place probably holds 30 folks max. The price is good.

longrider
Thu Jul 11th, 2013, 05:40 PM
Jabo's Bar-Be-Q (thats how he writes it) directly across the street from Fay Myers. Some of the best BBQ I have had, not the lowest price in town but the portions are huge. Most people take some home, when I have the rib lunch I usually dont eat dinner that day. I cant imagine downing the rib dinner

jcj81
Thu Jul 11th, 2013, 05:55 PM
Breakfast The Delectable Egg, I've only been to the one on Market Street.

Dinner German cuisine Cafe Berlin 1600 Champa St

BushyAR15
Thu Jul 11th, 2013, 06:13 PM
Not really a restaurant, but probably some of the best tamales I've had - La Popular in LoDo. Its been there a long time, way before the renovation downtown. Red or Green Tamales, pretty spicy, and not expensive at all, I believe a dozen green is like 12 bucks and Dozen red are 11 bucks (obviously prices can change). This is far less expensive than some of the other places I go where they charge 2-3 bucks a tamale.

Always a hit when I bring them to potlucks.

BushyAR15
Thu Jul 11th, 2013, 06:16 PM
Another great breakfast place is "Doug's Day Diner" on Orchard and Parker... I think they are open till 2 only. HUGE tasty portions. Weekends are pretty crowded especially Sundays when it seems to go from 7 a.m. till Noon...

AOK303
Thu Jul 11th, 2013, 08:47 PM
the biscuit Truck its been at cc for farmers market every sat i think its there sunday too

yes i know the main restaurant is on colfax!!

bluedogok
Thu Jul 11th, 2013, 09:34 PM
Another great breakfast place is "Doug's Day Diner" on Orchard and Parker... I think they are open till 2 only. HUGE tasty portions. Weekends are pretty crowded especially Sundays when it seems to go from 7 a.m. till Noon...
It is pretty good, one place we went to before moving up here and still go to is Breakfast on Broadway.

UHATEIT
Thu Jul 11th, 2013, 09:41 PM
Golden Flame hot wings at Hampden and Tower. Its in the parking lot by the Movie Tvern and the Village Inn where everyone meets before the toys for tots run. Killer wings man!

salsashark
Sat Jul 13th, 2013, 07:44 AM
Golden Flame hot wings at Hampden and Tower. Its in the parking lot by the Movie Tvern and the Village Inn where everyone meets before the toys for tots run. Killer wings man!

They're not bad, but I was much happier w/ the wings from The Wing Hut (http://winghutaurora.com/) off of Hampden & Chambers (across from Big Lots). Love their lemon pepper and bee sting wings.

UHATEIT
Sat Jul 13th, 2013, 08:08 AM
They're not bad, but I was much happier w/ the wings from The Wing Hut (http://winghutaurora.com/) off of Hampden & Chambers (across from Big Lots). Love their lemon pepper and bee sting wings.

Wing Hut is als badass! They've got lots of great flavors. My wife loves their raspberry ones. But perhaps my newest favorite (even over Quaker Steak and Lubes wings) is actually Wingin' It off Quebec and C470 next to Fazolis. They're wings are supurb. I try to consider myself a wing conniseur and love wings so any good wing places I'm open for checking out! While doing the Yamaha Demo Ride in Thornton there was a new place that opened on 104th called "The Wing Cave" justs the name alone makes me want to try it! Same with Willy's Wings there in Morrison at Bear Creek

salsashark
Sat Jul 13th, 2013, 09:23 AM
Personally, my favorite wings of all time are my own...

1. marinated over night
2. tossed in a buffalo dry rub
3. into the smoker for an hour and a half or so @ around 250
4. out and tossed in a spicy bbq sauce
5. A few minutes on the grill
6. OM NOM NOM NOM

***damn... now I have to go to the grocery store...***

One-ops
Sat Jul 13th, 2013, 11:48 AM
Woody's Wings and things Has been my fav and been around for ever!!! Also like the honey hots at Challengers. They used to be good at America's but looks like everything went to challengers a little while ago.
Italian for me latley is Shells and sauce Best food I've had in a long time and their tiramisu is insanely good.
Another one is Moma Louise off parker and orchard.
BBQ hands has to be Rudy's its down near the springs though wish there was one up here :(
Love good food ,hate chains I'll post up some more as they come to mind.

longrider
Sat Jul 13th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Wing Hut is als badass! They've got lots of great flavors. My wife loves their raspberry ones. But perhaps my newest favorite (even over Quaker Steak and Lubes wings) is actually Wingin' It off Quebec and C470 next to Fazolis. They're wings are supurb. I try to consider myself a wing conniseur and love wings so any good wing places I'm open for checking out! While doing the Yamaha Demo Ride in Thornton there was a new place that opened on 104th called "The Wing Cave" justs the name alone makes me want to try it! Same with Willy's Wings there in Morrison at Bear Creek

Let me share some history on Wing Cave. While that particular restaurant is only a year old, that location was the first wing place in Colorado. Woody's Wings and things opened in the early 80s, it was started by a couple from Buffalo. When the retired they sold the place but the new owners changed nothing as far as recipes go. They did rename it Wingman so they could trademark the name. Woody's/Wingman was the best wing in Colorado. Wingman went out of business in 2011 (tax issues), the only connection with the current Wing Cave is the location. The Wingman in Parker reopened as a Golden Flame last year.

asp_125
Sat Jul 13th, 2013, 03:07 PM
Q-4-U in Frisco has great BBQ, their peach cobblers are made in house and are HUGE!

The Golden Diner across from Coors ... ask for their green chilie!

Zokas in Pine .. awesome and somewhat eclectic menu. Great buffalo burgers.

TOAST in old Littleton .. sugar coma in 3-2-1.

Hapa Sushi.. happy hour sushi, all day Sundays.

BushyAR15
Sat Jul 13th, 2013, 04:23 PM
I love wings, used to go all the time especially Woody's on Buckley road, then I found out Buffalo wings are like 90ish calories each and I used to order their 13 wing meal with fries.... YIKES!!!!

Doesn't mean I don't like wings.

Jmetz
Sat Jul 13th, 2013, 04:32 PM
Woodys sucks. I'm surprised so many people like them.

BushyAR15
Sat Jul 13th, 2013, 04:51 PM
What is it you don't like about them? I'm no wing connoisseur, but I like them better than Hooters... Woody's, has always been pretty consistent when I've gone. They're a little generous in their "heat scale" but I find that the wings are cooked well meaning not over done or under done, they are crispy and pretty tasty... What do you recommend for a good wing?

Woodys sucks. I'm surprised so many people like them.

Jmetz
Sat Jul 13th, 2013, 05:40 PM
I've had them a couple times and the sauce is very soupy, the wings are rubbery, the whole thing is mediocre at best. I tried them just after they moved hoping things had changed. It was the last time I'll eat there.

IMO Piper Inn Asian wings are tough to beat.

Chief Stinky
Sat Jul 13th, 2013, 10:05 PM
Maria Empanadas in Lakewood make some great empanadas. Argentine finger food, great stuff! http://www.mariaempanada.com/

JKOL
Sat Jul 13th, 2013, 10:30 PM
http://www.bellabistro.com/
in Arvada is awesome. It's a small place so reservations are almost the only way to get a table, but the food and wine is amazing. Not a cheap place, but your lady will feel really special if you take her here.

AOK303
Sat Jul 13th, 2013, 11:30 PM
Woodys wings was really good in the 90's but i will have to say past few years i feel like they are Meh to what they use to, the sauce does seem more liquidy and the wings are just not the same quality
i live same distance from Woodys in morrison and a Wing stop, and i go to wing stop cause there frys

madvlad
Sun Jul 14th, 2013, 07:23 AM
Empanada Grill http://www.theempanadaexpress.com/index.html (menu http://www.theempanadaexpress.com/images/menu.pdf) - They have couple locations in town in Golden and 44th Great Venezuelan/Colombian food. My buddies just opened a Colombian Food truck called Mekato 303 and it's pretty damn good too if you're in their area for a good bite to eat, check their facebook page out too https://www.facebook.com/Mekato303 (yes, I know not really a restaurant but our food is really hard to find here and it's good)

longrider
Sun Jul 14th, 2013, 08:43 AM
Woodys wings was really good in the 90's but i will have to say past few years i feel like they are Meh to what they use to, the sauce does seem more liquidy and the wings are just not the same quality
i live same distance from Woodys in morrison and a Wing stop, and i go to wing stop cause there frys

Thank you, this explains the dissatisfied posts regarding Woody's. I still remember Woody's as the best wing I have had but the Aurora and S. Westminster locations were franchises. When Woody's was sold and became Wingman the franchise agreements were not included so they kept the Woody's name but the franchise requirements no longer existed so the recipes unfortunately changed.