PDA

View Full Version : Rear tire pops off on corner

j0ker
Mon Jul 15th, 2013, 10:48 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=yz62z-1O0Pg

JKOL
Mon Jul 15th, 2013, 11:08 AM
Really lucky that was a lower speed corner instead of on a high speed kink or at the end of a long straight.

rybo
Mon Jul 15th, 2013, 11:10 AM
This is world superbike from a couple of years ago. I watched the race live a couldn't believe it. Later photos showed the broken wheel. All of the spokes broke right at the hub.

There is a lesson in this for all of us. Riding on sketchy equipment (that tire that "should be OK" for one more ride) has big risks associated with it. This was World Superbike, a place where budgets seem limitless, but Berger was on a satellite team and I'm sure they were trying to stretch the budget. Berger was on a closed course with safety personnel all around and loads of run off. On top of that the accident happened in one of the slower corners.

Even at the MRA level we've seen wheels break. Granted, these are lightweight "competition use only" types of wheels, but it does happen.

My point - Check your equipment. Make sure it's in good shape. 99+% of the time when we fall down it's because the rider has made a mistake. Don't let that mistake be that you didn't take care of your stuff.

cbirchem0724
Mon Jul 15th, 2013, 11:11 AM
Anyone know how to watch "british eurosport 2" channel on your PC? not clips live tv?

gregr
Mon Jul 15th, 2013, 01:41 PM
I had a rear wheel come off during a car race once at Pueblo. It was literally two turns from the finish line...needless to say I wasn't happy about it. The guy behind me said it flew up like 40 feet in the air - I think it was more scary for him than for me.

Can't even imagine on a bike - yikes.

Aaron
Wed Jul 17th, 2013, 10:17 AM
That's why single-sided swingarms should be illegal. Down with Ducati.

Mother Goose
Wed Jul 17th, 2013, 10:21 AM
Anyone know how to watch "british eurosport 2" channel on your PC? not clips live tv?

XBMC

Snazzy
Wed Jul 17th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Did the spokes break ? Or did the swing arm break? Either way, super sketch.

UglyDogRacing
Wed Jul 17th, 2013, 01:55 PM
the spokes broke

sag
Wed Jul 17th, 2013, 06:46 PM
wheel is visible in this shot. i also love it cause im pretty sure its two feet off and dude has NO IDEA still haha. "something sure feels strange, better stay in it"

http://ultimatemotorcycling.com/wp-content/uploads/2011-donington-crash-scenes-berger-loses-wheel.jpg

Aaron
Wed Jul 17th, 2013, 10:15 PM
Power out of it!

mxer
Thu Jul 18th, 2013, 07:49 AM
Fatigue failure. I would think they would replace the axle every race especially on a single side swingarm.

Snazzy
Thu Jul 18th, 2013, 08:44 AM
Fatigue failure. I would think they would replace the axle every race especially on a single side swingarm.

Axle?

rybo
Thu Jul 18th, 2013, 01:41 PM
http://i.imgur.com/Xcyma.jpg

Generic
Thu Jul 18th, 2013, 01:49 PM
I have a broken Borbet wheel like that from my Grand Prix a decade ago, that was ice and a curb however.

Dave
Thu Jul 18th, 2013, 06:36 PM
Could he have possibly stoppied out of it? :)

Power out of it!