PDA

View Full Version : Tent Camping Spots?

bulldog
Wed Jul 17th, 2013, 09:11 AM
Thought there was a thread on this, but I couldn't find it.

Anyone know any good camping spots around (guess within 2 hours from Denver). We will be in a tent and being next to a river would be nice. More secluded the better. We don;t have a 4x4, but we do have a AWD Rouge (SUV)

P.S. I am open to PM's if you want to tell me your secret spot I could use next week (during the week) for a couple nights for my bday (I'll promise to never disclose the spot) :D

Darth Do'Urden
Wed Jul 17th, 2013, 09:49 AM
I have the same interest. We love camping once or twice a year, but from what I can tell, there's nothing in this area that is set up for camping without being spaced about 7 inches from your neighbors. Or you get the exact opposite: so remote that there's a true danger of being eaten alive in your sleep by the wildlife.

Here's my idea of a perfect camping spot:
-Actual camping facility complete with hot water bathroom and showers about 100 yards away
-Sites set up about 30 yards apart or more
-No concrete slabs or the like
-A place for a rock-enclosed fire pit
-Flat area so I'm not constantly on an incline

And before anyone rolls their eyes at this idyllic setting as though it's some spoiled fantasy...this was the exact setup we had at a place in Oklahoma (Robbers Cave). I would think that if shithole Oklahoma can wrangle something like that, then surely the amazing Colorado could do the same. =)

rforsythe
Wed Jul 17th, 2013, 09:50 AM
Check out South Fork CG a few miles off of Ute Pass Road. A little more than 2 hours to get there since you basically drive to Dillon first, however it's a nice place out of the way, and in the trees on the river side (which basically backs right up to the Williams Fork of the Blue river). We went there a few weeks ago, more people started to show up by Friday lunchtime but if you get there either Thursday sometime or even early Friday there will probably be plenty of good spots left. Has vault toilets and hand-crank well water available. We weren't right on our neighbors and the spots were actually really nice. It's also in Grand County, so just outside of the Summit Cty fire ban - just be very mindful of embers, the hills are a mix of live pine and beetle kill. Growth by the river was pretty lush though.

If you want a less-formal CG there are a ton of "roads" that cut off in that area, many end up at makeshift camping spots next to streams and such.

Darth Do'Urden
Wed Jul 17th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Google put South Fork CG at 4 hours away from Littleton. Not that it's prohibitive...just puttin' it out there since it's NOT "a little more than 2 hours" from Littleton. Looks interesting, though the lack of showers may not be conducive to spending 4 days out there (as we are wont to do when we go camping).

tecknojoe
Wed Jul 17th, 2013, 10:16 AM
Sylvan Lake in Eagle CO. I've been out there the last 2 weekends. They have a big camp gruond right on the lake with showers and toilets. If you call you can reserve a secluded camp ground. You will arrive at the lake then drive up a dirt road for a mile. Those secluded sites are individual sites with campfires allowed, right up on the hill side. They are flat. Private enough to do it outdoors and no one would see you, yet the showers are "right down the street" at the lake.

I would not leave food out though. I haven't seen anything bigger than a coyote in the last two weekends, but I don't know how frequent bears come into the area. If you want secluded, that's likely a reality you have to deal with

If it's during the week, you can camp right at the lake and probly have a reasonable amount of privacy

also note you can fish, rent a boat on the lake, or hike. The trails there are secluded and awesome. If you mountain bike, BRING IT with you. Bug spray and fly tape mandatory

You can see the main camp site, and the dirt road leading to the secluded spots in this pic

http://www.theamericacup.com/2011/sylvan.lake.02.jpg

Mother Goose
Wed Jul 17th, 2013, 10:19 AM
Camped at Sylvan before, good fishing last time I was there. :up:

Jmetz
Wed Jul 17th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Man I need to get out.. Haven't been at all this year and only once last year.

ssutton21
Wed Jul 17th, 2013, 10:30 AM
I see a csc camping trip in the near future.

Darth Do'Urden
Wed Jul 17th, 2013, 10:45 AM
Technojoe...that is EXACTLY what I'm talkin' about! Definitely checkin' this out.

I would not leave food out though. I haven't seen anything bigger than a coyote in the last two weekends, but I don't know how frequent bears come into the area. If you want secluded, that's likely a reality you have to deal with.

I don't mind having to be smart with food. I just don't want to take my life in my own hands just to camp.

Rabbie303
Wed Jul 17th, 2013, 10:50 AM
Over the holiday weekend we went up to Fairplay and camped. Although we had a pop up camper, there was tons of places to tent camp as well. There is beaver ponds you can fish and all in all good spot. Just look up 4 Mile Creek Road, Fairplay, CO and have fun :)

j0ker
Wed Jul 17th, 2013, 11:41 AM
Any places around the Longmont area?

rforsythe
Thu Jul 18th, 2013, 12:52 PM
Google put South Fork CG at 4 hours away from Littleton. Not that it's prohibitive...just puttin' it out there since it's NOT "a little more than 2 hours" from Littleton. Looks interesting, though the lack of showers may not be conducive to spending 4 days out there (as we are wont to do when we go camping).

:wtf: Took me that long pulling a 5th wheel and making 2 stops on the way. Just figure your drive time to Dillon and add about 30 min to that.

Nolan
Thu Jul 18th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Brainard lake, goosecreek cg, another right before deckers can't remember the name but #7 is my favorite spot, stagecoach red (no trees but the fishing can be quite awesome)

Nolan
Thu Jul 18th, 2013, 01:35 PM
Also give the ranger station in the area you want to go a call. The only ones that ever were snotty to me were the ones in boulder.

bulldog
Mon Jul 29th, 2013, 08:36 AM
So a follow up to this:

Girl really liked Sylvan Lake when I showed her this thread...so that is where we went (thanks TecknoJoe for suggestion).

The place was gorgeous and views that look straight out of a painting! Hiking was awesome too with some great trails. Fishing was also great as I saw so many giant Trouts swimming and jumping around (although I found out I suck at fishing). For $25 we rented a foot paddle boat (had option of a canoe) for 4 hours and were able to paddle around the lake. The only downside to the place is the camping is not secluded; we got their "fisherman camp spot" and unfortunately we had people on both side of us feet apart. You literally share a area with other people around you (about 8 spots) There was running drinkable water feet from the camp site and a little further were outhouses. A short walk took you to showers to use for $1. Picnic table and fire pit were provided at camp site. Overall it was a great place and seclusion was the only part that would have made this better, but place was so beautiful I recommend it.

tecknojoe
Mon Jul 29th, 2013, 10:31 AM
Glad you liked it! Did you ask about the camp sites up the hill? That's where we had the secluded spot. About a mile up that dirt road from the lake

bulldog
Mon Jul 29th, 2013, 10:45 AM
Glad you liked it! Did you ask about the camp sites up the hill? That's where we had the secluded spot. About a mile up that dirt road from the lake Yeah, but even though we went in the middle of week those spots were gone and there were only two open spots left; both at the lake camping spot. Crazy as we reserved over 5 days in advance! Popular place, but I can see why....I'd love to go back just to spend a day mountain biking through there (we didn't since my fiancee is recovering from a broken elbow).

j0ker
Mon Jul 29th, 2013, 10:56 AM
I am putting this on my list of places to camp. Thanks for the heads up guys!

mdub
Mon Jul 29th, 2013, 11:11 AM
Real nice spots have to reserved 6 months in advanced. Usually reserve them jan 1st.

bulldog
Mon Jul 29th, 2013, 11:30 AM
Real nice spots have to reserved 6 months in advanced. Usually reserve them jan 1st.
Yeah they had some prime cabins up there and heard the ranger telling some people it is usually a 6 month waiting list on those. So sounds like we got lucky even getting a spot then there :)

tecknojoe
Mon Jul 29th, 2013, 11:43 AM
wow, those secluded spots were even open on the 4th of July. Crazy how it was all booked

i went up the following weekend for some solo mountain biking. There are miles of sick trails