PDA

View Full Version : Engagement Ring Shopping

Keyser Soze
Wed Jul 17th, 2013, 01:47 PM
So I'm looking for some help here. Never looked at rings before. Not sure the best route to take. Wholesaler? ShaneCo? All that noise. Anyone have suggestions to get the best value?

Mother Goose
Wed Jul 17th, 2013, 01:54 PM
What's his name? :D

vort3xr6
Wed Jul 17th, 2013, 01:58 PM
I went to Jared and regret it. They are pushy and annoying and their diamond quality isn't that good. Had to take back the wife's ring 3 times to get repaired for diamonds falling out. Luckily I paid the extra for the plan and they were replaced for free. One time it took them 6 weeks.

birchyboy
Wed Jul 17th, 2013, 02:24 PM
Go to Trice and talk with Jeff Lantz; tell him Alan sent you. He's a great guy and works hard to meet all of your needs.

j0ker
Wed Jul 17th, 2013, 02:25 PM
Look online. The quality you will get with any of the chain stores is mid range for way over the top prices. I shopped around and bought my wife a tennis bracelet from an online place and am really happy with it. I saved about $600 bucks too and got way better diamond quality.

It is good to research diamonds and how they are rated so you know JUST what you are getting when you are looking to buy. You will be shocked at how carbon laden a lot of the chain diamond stores diamonds will be under a magnifying glass. You do NOT want a diamond full of black and pits when you look at it real close. :)

bulldog
Wed Jul 17th, 2013, 02:39 PM
I went to Shane company for engagement/wedding rings....twice :lol:

Their customer service is awesome and they are not paid on commission so they really help you to fit your budget and not to get themselves paid. So far any issues I have had like sizing or joining engagement ring to wedding band have been free and no hassle. Cleanings are free too. I went with a diamond that had nearly no flaws and they had quite a selection of them and even now diamond experts look at my girls ring and have a hard time finding any inclusions. Not sure if this is everywhere, but they will also give you full value for the diamond (in trade) if you ever decide to upgrade or change it out! I recommend Shane Company!

Congrats though man! I get married in April and pretty excited. Make your honeymoon in April after the 16th and join us in Cozumel at an all inclusive 5 star resort!

Generic
Wed Jul 17th, 2013, 02:41 PM
If you want something unique or custom made check out J. Albrecht in Boulder (http://www.jalbrechtdesigns.com/)

~Barn~
Wed Jul 17th, 2013, 03:11 PM
I had Daniel Diamonds (http://www.danieldiamonds.com) up in Evergreen create a custom set that I basically helped design and customize. They will work with you to create whatever type of look you're going for (and had plenty of ready-to-wear sets also); and although you're not in CO anymore, I'm sure you can find an "independent" that will help you similarly. Basically think of the diamond purchase as separate from the setting purchase. That's how it was for me anyway, since there are sooo many gems (read: diamonds) that you can choose to use.

G'luck yo!

And congrats to you and Nate both. :cheers:

bulldog
Wed Jul 17th, 2013, 03:22 PM
Wow, thanks Barn. If you and Tanya (and kids) are down to go, I am sure we can work our differences out and go back to happy friends. Come party with us yo!!!!

Jmetz
Wed Jul 17th, 2013, 03:39 PM
I'll sell you my ex's ring. It's got a spot of dirty whore that won't come off though. :lol:

Congrats to you both!

Rabbie303
Wed Jul 17th, 2013, 03:51 PM
My father-in-law is a jeweler, so my wife designed the ring and he made it. Gave us the family discount as well :)

JKOL
Wed Jul 17th, 2013, 03:55 PM
I'll sell you my ex's ring. It's got a spot of dirty whore that won't come off though. :lol:

Congrats to you both!

:lol:

bulldog
Wed Jul 17th, 2013, 04:00 PM

Congrats to you both! Same with you Josh...come to Cozumel April 16th :cheers:

Jmetz
Wed Jul 17th, 2013, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the invite Nate. It's a possibility, keep me in the loop for details. If you have them shoot them to me in a PM.

~Barn~
Wed Jul 17th, 2013, 04:09 PM
Wow, thanks Barn. If you and Tanya (and kids) are down to go, I am sure we can work our differences out and go back to happy friends. Come party with us yo!!!!

It's probably a longshot Nate, but I can definitely mention it to her and see what she thinks. It would be fun to go back.

koop
Wed Jul 17th, 2013, 11:21 PM
Costco.

Graded diamonds are essentially fungible commodities. Diamonds of the same grade are pretty much the same if you buy them at the mall or on the internet. I went through this last year and the difference between the internet and Shane or Trice was a lot. Blue Nile and Costco were pretty close on price.

Dasaxman6
Wed Jul 17th, 2013, 11:27 PM
Always been pleased with Shane co. Went shopping for the wife's ring not knowing anything and the sales peeps educated me on shopping for diamonds then helped find the perfect band. Free lifetime maintenance and free cleanings. When it was time to pick out my wedding band went back and was pleased with their men's selection too. Got both of our bands engraved and sized for no charge. Good luck and congrats!

Grim2.0
Wed Jul 17th, 2013, 11:46 PM
The 50cent machine at your local grocery....like a sir.

AOK303
Thu Jul 18th, 2013, 02:27 AM
I work at a shop that does custom or can order what you want can get you good price
but it comes down to Know how to grade a Stone and what gold is worth in weight and you can usually keep the price in a good range
most rings like said somewhere above you pick the stone then they will show you mounts it goes in. watch for pre made they usually are poorly made
we get alot of bad casting or wrong daimond size in a setting or poor stone quality for price

Go on to Stuller.com and you can see thousands of rings and learn a bit on how to Pic a stone

mxer
Thu Jul 18th, 2013, 07:43 AM
Buying a ring online is kinda sketch. Do you guys buying online go to the shops to see what it looks like then find something like it online?

j0ker
Thu Jul 18th, 2013, 07:45 AM
When I bought online it was great. Lots of pictures of the diamonds and lots of info about the grades. I wound up calling the 800- line just to talk my way through my order for the first time. Was real easy.

I got exactly what I ordered. The diamonds and settings were all done very nicely. The whole experience was much better than going in to a jewelry store, IMO.

bulldog
Thu Jul 18th, 2013, 08:22 AM
It's probably a longshot Nate, but I can definitely mention it to her and see what she thinks. It would be fun to go back.

Thanks for the invite Nate. It's a possibility, keep me in the loop for details. If you have them shoot them to me in a PM.
This is the place it is set for on April 16th http://www.palaceresorts.com/cozumelpalace/default-en.html

We will get there I think on the 14th and be there till like the 21st. Josh shoot me your email address and I can send you the invite with all the details. Barn let me know what she thinks and I can also send over the invite....

Rob....come join us man...we can make it a big party week! :D

Ezzzzy1
Thu Jul 18th, 2013, 08:32 AM
USAA has great product. If you are a member I would look into it

Ezzzzy1
Thu Jul 18th, 2013, 08:33 AM
http://www.palaceresorts.com/cozumelpalace/default-en.html

I call dibs on the chick!

bulldog
Thu Jul 18th, 2013, 08:44 AM
I call dibs on the chick! She comes all inclusive with the resort too! :lol: Seriously though last time I was there, I was amazed at all the near naked Brazilian women in g-strings....and to the people saying your getting married....my girl and I both were amazed by these girls and openly talked about them....she knows I am crazy!

EJ, you and your girl want to come too? You are invited!

Mother Goose
Thu Jul 18th, 2013, 08:58 AM
Same with you Josh...come to Cozumel April 16th :cheers:

I'm not invited?! I see how it is. :lol:

bulldog
Thu Jul 18th, 2013, 08:59 AM
I'm not invited?! I see how it is. :lol: Of course you are...send me your personal email!

Mother Goose
Thu Jul 18th, 2013, 09:01 AM
She comes all inclusive with the resort too! :lol: Seriously though last time I was there, I was amazed at all the near naked Brazilian women in g-strings....and to the people saying your getting married....my girl and I both were amazed by these girls and openly talked about them....she knows I am crazy!
Does she know about the boys too?

busagirl
Thu Jul 18th, 2013, 09:11 AM
Wow... Rob and Nate both?! I tell ya, you don't log on here for awhile and you completely fall outta the loop! :lol:

Congrats fellas, that's awesome news! :up:

bulldog
Thu Jul 18th, 2013, 09:11 AM
Does she know about the boys too? Funniest part about that is I met her through my two gays friends so she thought I was gay when she first met me since I hung out with them. Plus I still tell her I look at men's chest's strictly for fitness observation....although pic of Drano yesterday made me reconsider this :lol:

Wow... Rob and Nate both?! I tell ya, you don't log on here for awhile and you completely fall outta the loop! :lol:

Congrats fellas, that's awesome news! :up: So when are you going to settle down Reann? Seems like not long ago we all went to Vegas...then I realize I've been with my girl three years already...living with her for like 2 1/2 of those.

Ezzzzy1
Thu Jul 18th, 2013, 09:13 AM
EJ, you and your girl want to come too? You are invited!

I would be we are headed to Puerto Vallarta and then south in October.

....and it appears that Wicky was just invited.

nicklk
Thu Jul 18th, 2013, 09:21 AM
+1 for Shane Co

busagirl
Thu Jul 18th, 2013, 09:35 AM
So when are you going to settle down Reann? Seems like not long ago we all went to Vegas...then I realize I've been with my girl three years already...living with her for like 2 1/2 of those.

Settling down is so 1983.... :p

Seriously though, now that I am FINALLY finished with school I actually have time for a relationship. Problem is I am enjoying my freedom (from homework) so much that finding one hasn't been a priority. Maybe when I am half-way to dead I will think about it... maybe... :lol:

Mother Goose
Thu Jul 18th, 2013, 09:44 AM
So when are you going to settle down Reann?
Settle down and Ree should never be in the same sentence. I think you can get arrested for something like that.

....and it appears that Wicky was just invited.
There's always that....

busagirl
Thu Jul 18th, 2013, 09:53 AM
Settle down and Ree should never be in the same sentence. I think you can get arrested for something like that.

:up:

I thought one would just burst into flames.... arrested is probably better! :D

bulldog
Thu Jul 18th, 2013, 10:48 AM
Settling down is so 1983.... :p

Seriously though, now that I am FINALLY finished with school I actually have time for a relationship. Problem is I am enjoying my freedom (from homework) so much that finding one hasn't been a priority. Maybe when I am half-way to dead I will think about it... maybe... :lol: Careful....wait too long and you get the scraps left over nobody wants! I thought it was hard to find a good person at 30, so could imagine it gets harder the older we get. At least guys get let out of prison daily though :lol:

Keyser Soze
Thu Jul 18th, 2013, 11:14 AM
Thanks for advice everyone.

Congrats, Nate!

Keyser Soze
Mon Jul 22nd, 2013, 09:35 AM
Congrats though man! I get married in April and pretty excited. Make your honeymoon in April after the 16th and join us in Cozumel at an all inclusive 5 star resort!

We're actually going to do a destination wedding. We've pretty much narrowed it down to Vietnam or Tulum. Might be down for just a fun trip down to Cozumel though.

mxer
Tue Jul 23rd, 2013, 07:02 AM
Funny how I just bought a ring myself. I went to Shane Co and the sales guy was really helpful but I couldn't find a setting that I really liked but the diamond was pretty nice. I stopped by Costco later and found a beautiful ring. It's platinum where as the setting I did pick out at Shane Co was 14k white gold. The diamond is 0.2 more carats than the one at Shane Co and with 2 levels higher on clarity and colorless all for 300 more than the one at Shane Co. The upgrade to platinum was worth it alone. Only downside to Costco is there are no experts to help you and there is no maintenance program like Shane Co but with platinum there seems to be much less maintenance anyways. Also Costco won't size it so you have to go to a jeweler but that's only like 20 bucks.

I ended up getting the Costco ring and she loves it!

~Barn~
Tue Jul 23rd, 2013, 08:29 AM
My ring is Platinum, and for a variety of reasons it's pretty awesome (and I prefer it to any other metal), but do be aware that it shows wear much more than the white gold settings that can be "re-plated" in Rhodium when the time comes. Obviously a you can polish a Platinum ring to bring back luster, but at the end of the day you're just shedding the precious metal.

As I guy, I really don't care because the looks of the scratches and scuffs and such, give the ring character to me [looks like we've been married for decades]. For a woman though - who might want to maintain a shiny and luminous appearance to her ring - a Platinum setting may pose some challenges. YMMV.

Nick_Ninja
Tue Jul 23rd, 2013, 09:52 AM
Dude,

Get a set of these fine gems :up:

http://www.didntyouhear.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/alltires2.jpg

Ezzzzy1
Tue Jul 23rd, 2013, 10:12 AM
http://www.didntyouhear.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/08/alltires2.jpg

Those are bad ass!

I pimp the Tiffanys... The bitches love it. Seriously.

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/Ezzzzy1/Ring_zpsbd57b401.jpg (http://s125.photobucket.com/user/Ezzzzy1/media/Ring_zpsbd57b401.jpg.html)

cbirchem0724
Tue Jul 23rd, 2013, 10:44 AM

Congrats to you both!

X3 :thumbup:

mxer
Tue Jul 23rd, 2013, 12:48 PM
My ring is Platinum, and for a variety of reasons it's pretty awesome (and I prefer it to any other metal), but do be aware that it shows wear much more than the white gold settings that can be "re-plated" in Rhodium when the time comes. Obviously a you can polish a Platinum ring to bring back luster, but at the end of the day you're just shedding the precious metal.

As I guy, I really don't care because the looks of the scratches and scuffs and such, give the ring character to me [looks like we've been married for decades]. For a woman though - who might want to maintain a shiny and luminous appearance to her ring - a Platinum setting may pose some challenges. YMMV.

For maintenance I was referring to getting the rhodium coating every 6 months to year like the Shane Co guy was saying that was average time. Sounds like a PITA. Plus the actual value of a 14k gold ring is near worthless since it's barely gold. You're paying for the "craftsmanship". At least with the platinum I know it's mostly pure and that it's completely hypoallergenic which she has aversions to with less quality jewelry. I'm glad I went the platinum route we'll see how is holds up.

We got it resized by jeweler who cut a section and laser welded it. You can see a tiny dent in the sun where he did it, but looking online it sounds like resizing a pt ring that's normal since it's much more difficult. So I guess it is normal to see it?