PDA

View Full Version : Gonna go ride the trails above Central City this Friday

Husky
Thu Jul 18th, 2013, 08:52 AM
Going up this Friday to ride the trails above Central City/Black Hawk, just wondering if anyone has been up there lately and what the riding is like. I havent been there in awhile but it use to be pretty cool as you could ride all the way to St. Marys Glacier

asp_125
Thu Jul 18th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Was up there recently but did not go up to St Marys. They just regraded a couple of the county roads so it's smooth sailing till you hit the trail. Someone did tell me the forest service put in a gate on the trail that heads towards James Peak overlook (either just before or after).

Husky
Thu Jul 18th, 2013, 11:28 AM
Thanks.

teamextreme
Thu Jul 18th, 2013, 02:57 PM
It must be a looong time since you rode up there because you haven't been able to ride to the glacier in many years. Back in the early 80's we used to drive our trucks up to the lake at the base of the glacier. I didn't visit again until around 2002 and the road all the way up was blocked with massive boulders. We were on dirt bikes then and were able to pick our way thru the boulders about a third of the way up, then couldn't make it anymore. Oddly enough, the trail isn't gated or signed as being closed to OHV, someone just went to a LOT of effort to barricade it from OHV use. With the new MVUM maps I'm sure it's not on there anyway. There's miles of cool 2-track between Central City and SMG though and trails that go to the North (Kingston Peak I think) but I've never been on that one.