PDA

View Full Version : Fla. mom gets 20 years for firing warning shots

bulldog
Thu Jul 18th, 2013, 02:23 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57433184/fla-mom-gets-20-years-for-firing-warning-shots/

(CBS News) JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - A Florida woman who fired warning shots against her allegedly abusive husband has been sentenced to 20 years in prison.
Marissa Alexander of Jacksonville had said the state's "Stand Your Ground" law should apply to her because she was defending herself against her allegedly abusive husband when she fired warning shots inside her home in August 2010. She told police it was to escape a brutal beating by her husband, against whom she had already taken out a protective order.
CBS Affiliate WETV (http://www.actionnewsjax.com/mostpopular/story/Jacksonville-mother-sentenced-to-20-years/ZVGhtAMlEUC2A_TTNRirkw.cspx) reports that Circuit Court Judge James Daniel handed down the sentence Friday.
Under Florida's mandatory minimum sentencing requirements Alexander couldn't receive a lesser sentence, even though she has never been in trouble with the law before. Judge Daniel said the law did not allow for extenuating or mitigating circumstances to reduce the sentence below the 20-year minimum.

"I really was crying in there," Marissa Alexander's 11-year-old daughter told WETV. "I didn't want to cry in court, but I just really feel hurt. I don't think this should have been happening."
Alexander was convicted of attempted murder after she rejected a plea deal for a three-year prison sentence. She said she did not believe she did anything wrong.
Complete Coverage: George Zimmerman trial and the Trayvon Martin case
She was recently denied a new trial after appealing to the judge to reconsider her case based on Florida's controversial "Stand Your Ground" law. The law states that the victim of a crime does not have to attempt to run for safety and can immediately retaliate in self-defense.
Alexander's attorney said she was clearly defending herself and should not have to spend the next two decades behind bars.

Alexander's case has drawn support from domestic abuse advocates - and comparison to the case of neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman, who has claimed self-defense in his fatal shooting of Florida teenager Trayvon Martin.

madvlad
Thu Jul 18th, 2013, 02:48 PM
20 years? Are you shitting me? Wtf dude... This system is FUCKED UP! :no:

Generic
Thu Jul 18th, 2013, 02:51 PM
I've seen that same snippet, what I haven't seen is all the details behind it. I'm pretty sure there is a lot more to this story than what is listed in that blurb.

madvlad
Thu Jul 18th, 2013, 03:01 PM
Just saying, if that is indeed the case where the story was just like that, what fucked up shit that is...

Rabbie303
Thu Jul 18th, 2013, 03:03 PM
If she actually shot him she would have gotten away with it. Ask Zimmerman!!! OHHHHHH!!! Too soon??

bulldog
Thu Jul 18th, 2013, 03:06 PM
What the big kicker to me is she had no prior criminal record and she had a protective order on him too :wtf:

And also a mom....

Generic
Thu Jul 18th, 2013, 03:15 PM
As expected, there are a lot more details to this

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2013/07/18/marissa-alexander-20-year-sentence-george-zimmerman-prosecutor-angela-corey

"..presiding judge said his hands were tied by state law, which mandates a minimum sentence of 20 years for firing a gun in the commission of a felony."

"...threw the book at Alexander after she refused a three-year prison stint as part of a plea deal."

"Corey said there was no physical evidence of a confrontation before the gun fired."

Now, I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying there is a lot of detail to the case.

bulldog
Thu Jul 18th, 2013, 03:25 PM
As expected, there are a lot more details to this

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2013/07/18/marissa-alexander-20-year-sentence-george-zimmerman-prosecutor-angela-corey

"..presiding judge said his hands were tied by state law, which mandates a minimum sentence of 20 years for firing a gun in the commission of a felony."

"...threw the book at Alexander after she refused a three-year prison stint as part of a plea deal."

"Corey said there was no physical evidence of a confrontation before the gun fired."

Now, I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying there is a lot of detail to the case.
Agreed, but twenty years is crazy! Plus I hate how they offer these deals, but then if you don't take it you get the full penalty...what happened to innocent till proven guilty and the due process of proving you are. Sometimes our system confuses me......

Plus you would think if she had a protective order on him that there is some past of him committing domestic violence since I doubt they just hand out protective orders without a reason :dunno:

mdub
Thu Jul 18th, 2013, 04:33 PM
yeah Florida.....what a screwed up country..

rforsythe
Thu Jul 18th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Moral of the story: Shoot the fucker instead.

Grim2.0
Thu Jul 18th, 2013, 04:55 PM
Agreed, but twenty years is crazy! Plus I hate how they offer these deals, but then if you don't take it you get the full penalty...what happened to innocent till proven guilty and the due process of proving you are. Sometimes our system confuses me......

Plus you would think if she had a protective order on him that there is some past of him committing domestic violence since I doubt they just hand out protective orders without a reason :dunno:

Everybody just calm the fuck down, she wont serve 20 years so relax. it will get cut in half for good behavior after 1 year, then after 2 years she can opt for parole and will probably get it.

mdub
Thu Jul 18th, 2013, 05:08 PM
Everybody just calm the fuck down, she wont serve 20 years so relax. it will get cut in half for good behavior after 1 year, then after 2 years she can opt for parole and will probably get it.

Thanks clearing that up Counselor Grimsta..

Ezzzzy1
Thu Jul 18th, 2013, 06:01 PM

FEEEEEEE-YOU!

For a second there I thought this might fuck up her whole life!

CaneZach
Thu Jul 18th, 2013, 08:41 PM
There is a lot more to this story that isn't being reported by the media. A motion filled by the district attorneys office is floating around online that explains why she was charged. I'll see if I can find it.

Basically, she had several opportunities to leave the house, but walked past her supposed attacker after the argument was over and he had walked away, went to the garage, got into her car and instead of leaving in her car, she retrieved her gun, then went back inside to confront her ex-husband. There are a few more things in the motion that I'm leaving out for brevity, but this isn't just a heat of the moment incident.

Grim2.0
Thu Jul 18th, 2013, 09:02 PM
FEEEEEEE-YOU!

For a second there I thought this might fuck up her whole life!

:spit:

no way man she will just lose her job, her house, the kid will go to an orphanage, and she will most likely be turned lesbian........no biggie.

CaneZach
Thu Jul 18th, 2013, 09:26 PM
Here's the motion

http://www.scribd.com/mobile/doc/89763383?width=360

Grim2.0
Thu Jul 18th, 2013, 10:03 PM
Here's the motion

Looks like she got what she deserved.

Stuart Little
Fri Jul 19th, 2013, 03:31 AM
There is a lot more to this story that isn't being reported by the media. A motion filled by the district attorneys office is floating around online that explains why she was charged. I'll see if I can find it.

Basically, she had several opportunities to leave the house, but walked past her supposed attacker after the argument was over and he had walked away, went to the garage, got into her car and instead of leaving in her car, she retrieved her gun, then went back inside to confront her ex-husband. There are a few more things in the motion that I'm leaving out for brevity, but this isn't just a heat of the moment incident.

I find the good description of events + logic while having the C&H abortion/violence strip ever so Ironic :D

bulldog
Fri Jul 19th, 2013, 08:04 AM
Here's the motion

Thanks, that does bring new light into it.

Although "common sense thinking me" (I watch a lot of judge Judy :lol: ) Asks myself why the victim went back to stay with this lady if he was so fearful for his life and also tried to help her come up with a story to not get charged....maybe just love?? Then I find it hard to believe this guy was not in a rage when he found texts from her ex-husband and questioned if the new baby was his then....saying this because I would be very upset. So maybe he was pretty angry and since there was one reported case of domestic violence she did think she was about to get a beatdown. Although she doesn't sound like the greatest person though since she got charged after this happened for attacking someone. Then her statement of shooting in the ceiling should easily be confirmed (by a bullet hole in ceiling), but it appears they did not find that. Who knows as so hard to tell when only witnesses are the two people.

So yeah, maybe she will get out early...but if she is this bad person (which she kind of seems) then I am sure she will get into more trouble in prison and prolong that sentence. Kind of hard with domestic violence IMO because I could not imagine someone beating me up on a constant bases and sure that messes with their head a lot.

Zanatos
Fri Jul 19th, 2013, 12:28 PM
Things that make you go hmmmmm.

http://cdn.swaggernewyork.com/media/2013/07/george-zimmerman-marissa-alexander1.jpg