PDA

View Full Version : EDITED: SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY August 4th AM - Route planning, Q&A, Sound Off

Vance
Mon Jul 29th, 2013, 09:17 AM
EDIT: I can't do Saturday at all - my schedule just became a nightmare, eliminating the chance for anything substantial for ride time, so I'm proposing a SUNDAY morning ride. Same proposed route. Same proposed KSU.

So here it is: a little back looping, momentary city cut-through, but should be a descent level of tossing the bike over side to side.
Times out to be around 3.5 hours of ride time, 130'ish miles start to end:

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Washington+Ave&daddr=Golden+Gate+Canyon+Rd+to:Co+Rd+70/Golden+Gate+Canyon+Rd+to:CO-46+W/Golden+Gate+Canyon+Rd+to:CO-119/S+Bridge+St+to:S+Bridge+St+to:CO-72+W+to:CO-72+W+to:CO-7+E/5th+Ave/S+St+Vrain+Dr+to:CO-7+E/US-36+E+to:28th+St+to:CO-119/Boulder+Canyon+Dr+to:CO-119/Boulder+Canyon+Dr+to:CO-72+E/Coal+Creek+Canyon+Rd+to:CO-72+E/Coal+Creek+Canyon+Rd+to:39.856519,-105.055075&hl=en&geocode=FTLPXgIdjz66-Q%3BFaXmXgIdKDe6-Q%3BFbomXwIdyIO4-Q%3BFQL0XwIdSlK2-Q%3BFT9fYQIdRyS2-Q%3BFd7CYQIdjwm2-Q%3BFWF4YwId5AO2-Q%3BFX3PZAIdHb62-Q%3BFcmxZQIdG625-Q%3BFZBBZAId9oS5-Q%3BFbW7YgIdJuK5-Q%3BFYArYgId4Dq3-Q%3BFYbeYQIdVm62-Q%3BFfJNYQIdCkq3-Q%3BFd5gYAIdtN-5-Q%3B&abauth=51f03fe71fZ27PzRLejZt2_XkQkch9vZ5AY&vps=31&jsv=460f&sll=39.854147,-105.092812&sspn=0.070503,0.169086&vpsrc=6&mra=mi&mrsp=15&sz=13&num=10&dg=feature

We'll meet at the 7-11 on Hwy 93 & Washington in Golden for a fuel top off, bathroom break, coffee refuel, whatever... KSU will be at 8:30 SHARP.
If you're not there at 8:30, you'll have to catch up! :)

Please sound off if you plan on joining so we can get a feeler on the number of attendees.

If you have an alternative route - please post that so we can compare and converse and make a decision far enough in advance so as not to have confusion as to what the gameplan is.

Drama2
Mon Jul 29th, 2013, 07:04 PM
In.....x2. One backed out.

j0ker
Mon Jul 29th, 2013, 09:02 PM
I think Lyons is having an Ironman Biking race during your ride. You might want to detour that area.

Subaru2Yamaha
Mon Jul 29th, 2013, 09:43 PM
Dang! I will be out for Sunday, maybe next time.

Vance
Mon Jul 29th, 2013, 09:45 PM
I think Lyons is having an Ironman Biking race during your ride. You might want to detour that area.

Thanks for the head's up Joker... I'll do a modification to the route and publish shortly.

theMayor
Mon Jul 29th, 2013, 11:33 PM
I'm new here (and to Colorado)... but I'm interested. More-so with the route because I expect to be completely left behind after KSU. ;)

Nolan
Tue Jul 30th, 2013, 01:00 AM
I'm out. Have fun.

Drama2
Tue Jul 30th, 2013, 07:07 AM
Why do you expect to be left behind?????

Vance
Tue Jul 30th, 2013, 07:45 AM
I'm new here (and to Colorado)... but I'm interested. More-so with the route because I expect to be completely left behind after KSU. ;)

Nobody gets left behind if they go KSU with us as a group, unless they break off intentionally.
Run your own pace, don't push yourself, have fun --- and all will be well! As long as I'm playing sweeper - nobody will get left behind.

I'm out. Have fun.

Sorry to hear that Nolan! There's always a next time!

Okay - here is the proposed revised route for Sunday. If everyone is good with it - let's give this a go. More mileage (173 miles - which means one stop for a top off will likely be a good idea (probably in Estes Park), and a longer time run (4.75 hours start in Golden to finish @ I-25 in Loveland)... but with WAY more twisties and only a minor cut-through Boulder along the way.

As far as I can tell looking at Google - there is no dirt on this route --- but someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong so I can edit the map accordingly.

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=CO-93+S&daddr=CO-119+to:Coal+Creek+Canyon+Rd+to:CO-93+N+to:CO-119/Boulder+Canyon+Dr+to:CO-72+W+to:Lefthand+Canyon+Dr+to:Overland+Rd+to:N+St+ Vrain+Ave+to:E+Eisenhower+Blvd&hl=en&geocode=Fb3PXgId3Du6-Q%3BFZfmXwIdkP-1-Q%3BFYkyYQIdRIG3-Q%3BFRWDYAIdBia6-Q%3BFTAgYgId8hO3-Q%3BFcFoYwIdAwS2-Q%3BFZjjYwId_Ji4-Q%3BFUpEZAId75W2-Q%3BFcAaaAIdnQS2-Q%3BFfePaAIdA929-Q&abauth=51f738d8BZAQkDuE-DauD-58UnzmXN7fjzM&vps=36&jsv=461b&sll=40.180972,-104.581604&sspn=1.714362,3.56781&vpsrc=6&mra=ls&num=10&dg=feature

Acceptance? Rejection in favor of the original? Thoughts?

UHATEIT
Tue Jul 30th, 2013, 09:57 AM
My computer isn't showing the purple route thing on google maps. Does enyone else have this problem?

Vance
Tue Jul 30th, 2013, 10:57 AM
My computer isn't showing the purple route thing on google maps. Does enyone else have this problem?

I've never run into that issue so far.
Maybe your flash or java needs updating.

theMayor
Tue Jul 30th, 2013, 11:33 AM
Why do you expect to be left behind?????
Simply because I am completely unfamiliar with the roads out here.

Vance, no sweeping will be necessary (for me, anyway). The last thing I want to do is hold anyone up.

I did. Revert back to google maps "classic"... routes aren't supported on the newest version.

Sully
Tue Jul 30th, 2013, 12:16 PM
Mmmmmm... Left Hand Canyon :yumyum:

Mayor - Don't worry about holding anyone up. As Vance noted above, no one gets left behind. Riders (or a rider) should wait at all turns until the last rider and sweeper have arrived. Sooo... ride your own ride and don't worry :)

Drama2
Tue Jul 30th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Vance, you can sweep me up. Not joking.

Vance
Tue Jul 30th, 2013, 12:26 PM
Mmmmmm... Left Hand Canyon :yumyum:

Mayor - Don't worry about holding anyone up. As Vance noted above, no one gets left behind. Riders (or a rider) should wait at all turns until the last rider and sweeper have arrived. Sooo... ride your own ride and don't worry :)

Does this mean you're coming Sully???

UHATEIT
Tue Jul 30th, 2013, 12:35 PM
I did. Revert back to google maps "classic"... routes aren't supported on the newest version.

My thing says on top that it is not supported by the new google maps so they reverted me back to classic, but even then its not showing

Sully
Tue Jul 30th, 2013, 12:58 PM
Does this mean you're coming Sully???

maybe ;)

Vance
Tue Jul 30th, 2013, 02:13 PM
Vance, you can sweep me up. Not joking.

Errr.... okay! :)

maybe ;)

TEASE!!!

UHATEIT
Tue Jul 30th, 2013, 02:36 PM
Sully was sweeping behind me on grim's ride last month. I felt bad she had to go so slow when I am sure she wanted to ride faster! Good sweepers are awesome but have to be patient for the slow ones out there like myself

Vance
Tue Jul 30th, 2013, 02:42 PM
Sully was sweeping behind me on grim's ride last month. I felt bad she had to go so slow when I am sure she wanted to ride faster! Good sweepers are awesome but have to be patient for the slow ones out there like myself

I'm not sure I'm a "good" Sweeper - but I do have the patience to bring up the end of line given I'm somewhere between "re-learning my handling" and "able to push it"... so Sweeper works really well for me.

06xbss
Tue Jul 30th, 2013, 08:46 PM
Not positive, but I think the portion of your route from Lefthand Canyon back up to Peak2Peak(James Canyon/Overland Rd.) has long stretch of dirt road. Doubt I'll make the ride on Sunday, but I can go check that part of the route on Thurs. or Fri.

FZRguy
Tue Jul 30th, 2013, 10:34 PM
He's right about the dirt if you go up to Jamestown and back to P2P. 3-4 miles IIRC. You could just head on back to Boulder down Lefthand, and considering the up/down route you are planning, you'll be plenty tired by then.

Matty
Tue Jul 30th, 2013, 11:07 PM
Vance... If I can make it out I have no problem leading if you intend to sweep. Or vice versa.

Vance
Wed Jul 31st, 2013, 07:16 AM
Not positive, but I think the portion of your route from Lefthand Canyon back up to Peak2Peak(James Canyon/Overland Rd.) has long stretch of dirt road. Doubt I'll make the ride on Sunday, but I can go check that part of the route on Thurs. or Fri.

BLOODY FRAKING HELL!!! It's the gorram 21st Century --- have these people never heard of asphalt? Concrete? WTMF???

UGH. Yes please! If you can confirm that, it would be greatly appreciated.
If it is dirt - I guess I'll have to modify the route... AGAIN, perhaps along the lines of what FZRGuy suggests.

Matty - thanks in advance if viable! I'm definitely not in a confidence position yet with regaining my skillset to attempt to lead.

Drama2
Wed Jul 31st, 2013, 10:17 AM
I say we just go and have fun.. reroute if we come into dirt.

UOTE=Vance;742907]BLOODY FRAKING HELL!!! It's the gorram 21st Century --- have these people never heard of asphalt? Concrete? WTMF???

UGH. Yes please! If you can confirm that, it would be greatly appreciated.
If it is dirt - I guess I'll have to modify the route... AGAIN, perhaps along the lines of what FZRGuy suggests.

Matty - thanks in advance if viable! I'm definitely not in a confidence position yet with regaining my skillset to attempt to lead.[/QUOTE]

REZADO
Wed Jul 31st, 2013, 01:39 PM
I checked the main cycling forum and there doesnt seem to be a bike race in lyons. I think the first proposed route would still be okay... or was it the third proposed route? :think: Whatever. I am with Drama lets just go have fun.

Vance
Wed Jul 31st, 2013, 01:58 PM
Yeah if there is no race in Lyons then I'm good with going back to post #1's proposed route.

DriverDave
Wed Jul 31st, 2013, 04:16 PM
Hey Vance, you know with Google maps you can zoom in close enough to see if a road is dirt or paved. It takes a few minutes to follow it the whole way, but it's a sure fire way to verify a paved road....just sayin ;-)

SlowPoke
Wed Jul 31st, 2013, 09:30 PM
Brand new to the forum (first post) and recent transplant to Colorado. Would love to make this my first CO group ride if you don't mind a new guy tagging along. Been riding for almost ten years now, but I'm slow here as most of that time was in Florida where there might be five good corners in the state. I won't care if I get dropped cause I'm holding up the sweeper. Really just looking to meet some new locals and find some good roads.

Vance
Wed Jul 31st, 2013, 09:53 PM
Brand new to the forum (first post) and recent transplant to Colorado. Would love to make this my first CO group ride if you don't mind a new guy tagging along. Been riding for almost ten years now, but I'm slow here as most of that time was in Florida where there might be five good corners in the state. I won't care if I get dropped cause I'm holding up the sweeper. Really just looking to meet some new locals and find some good roads.

I wouldn't have posted up the meeting place and time if it wasn't an open invite --- even to a Floridian. ;)
Please feel free to join the pack for the ride. As a noob to these we'll be sure to go over the basic "rules" of a group ride before we go KSU... just a couple minutes of "best practices" and such.

SlowPoke
Wed Jul 31st, 2013, 10:02 PM
I wouldn't have posted up the meeting place and time if it wasn't an open invite --- even to a Floridian. ;)
Please feel free to join the pack for the ride. As a noob to these we'll be sure to go over the basic "rules" of a group ride before we go KSU... just a couple minutes of "best practices" and such.

Hey, it's a Floridiot!!! Get it right! You know, the state where nobody seems to know driving 55 in a 70mph zone in the left lane is a bad thing. Look forward to meeting you on Sunday, and a quick refresher on how not to piss off everyone else sounds like a good idea.

theMayor
Thu Aug 1st, 2013, 01:17 AM
Hope you're not a UF Gator fan, SlowPoke... otherwise we may have problems... (Go VOLS!) ;)

Vance
Thu Aug 1st, 2013, 08:33 AM
Hope you're not a UF Gator fan, SlowPoke... otherwise we may have problems... (Go VOLS!) ;)

Oye vey... here we go!

Matty
Thu Aug 1st, 2013, 08:36 AM
Oye vey...

Excuse me only Jmetz and I can use that phrase. It's our goddamn Jewish right!!!

SlowPoke
Thu Aug 1st, 2013, 09:08 AM

I'm originally from Chicago, so my sports loyalty still lies primarily with Chicago teams (Hawks, Bulls, Bears, Cubs). I never really identified with Florida teams, probably because I never really liked living in Florida.

I'm not an SEC hater though like so many seem to be these days. Looks like you're in for a tough season being a Vols fan... aren't they expected to have their worst year ever? Ranked like 13 out of 14 in the SEC this year. Not that I have a problem with liking bad teams, I am a Cubs fan after all.

Made it out to Coors Field to catch one of the Rockies/Cubs games already and had a great time. Fans were great, park was packed, nice facilities, so perhaps I could grow into being a Rockies fan. Hoping to make it to a Broncos game this season too although I hear tickets can be hard to get. I LOVE Colorado, and liked the Broncos for a long time before I moved here, so I'm guessing it won't be hard to get behind CO teams like it was for FL teams.

Vance
Thu Aug 1st, 2013, 03:16 PM
Not to take away from all the talk and planning of Saturday's ride --- but just trying to get a better headcount on expected attendees for Sunday.

At present I count 6 total coming / likely:

Myself
Drama + 1
SlowPole
Matty
The Mayor

Maybe personnel so far is pretty much Sully.

Anyone else I missed that is coming / likely???

Generic
Thu Aug 1st, 2013, 03:30 PM
I'm a maybe

DK74
Fri Aug 2nd, 2013, 08:23 AM
I'm a maybe too. Thanks.

REZADO
Fri Aug 2nd, 2013, 08:24 AM
ksu at 8:30? I will be there.

Vance
Fri Aug 2nd, 2013, 09:05 AM
So we currently have:

Coming / Likely:

Myself
Drama + 1
SlowPole
Matty
The Mayor
Rezado

Maybes Include:
Sully
Generic
DK74

Please keep chiming in.

I'm going to have an alternative (longer (milage wise) route planned) as a backup/alternative if everyone is on-board with it come ride time.

Generic
Fri Aug 2nd, 2013, 11:06 AM
Can you post the current route plan, just so I can get an idea? When lots of things get tossed around in the thread it's hard to determine what the final decisions are.

Thanks.

Matty
Fri Aug 2nd, 2013, 11:30 AM
oh i'm still a maybe!

Vance
Fri Aug 2nd, 2013, 01:13 PM
Can you post the current route plan, just so I can get an idea? When lots of things get tossed around in the thread it's hard to determine what the final decisions are.

Thanks.

Current planned route:
https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Washington+Ave&daddr=Golden+Gate+Canyon+Rd+to:Co+Rd+70/Golden+Gate+Canyon+Rd+to:CO-46+W/Golden+Gate+Canyon+Rd+to:CO-119/S+Bridge+St+to:S+Bridge+St+to:CO-72+W+to:CO-72+W+to:CO-7+E/5th+Ave/S+St+Vrain+Dr+to:CO-7+E/US-36+E+to:28th+St+to:CO-119/Boulder+Canyon+Dr+to:CO-119/Boulder+Canyon+Dr+to:CO-72+E/Coal+Creek+Canyon+Rd+to:CO-72+E/Coal+Creek+Canyon+Rd+to:39.856519,-105.055075&hl=en&geocode=FTLPXgIdjz66-Q%3BFaXmXgIdKDe6-Q%3BFbomXwIdyIO4-Q%3BFQL0XwIdSlK2-Q%3BFT9fYQIdRyS2-Q%3BFd7CYQIdjwm2-Q%3BFWF4YwId5AO2-Q%3BFX3PZAIdHb62-Q%3BFcmxZQIdG625-Q%3BFZBBZAId9oS5-Q%3BFbW7YgIdJuK5-Q%3BFYArYgId4Dq3-Q%3BFYbeYQIdVm62-Q%3BFfJNYQIdCkq3-Q%3BFd5gYAIdtN-5-Q%3B&abauth=51f03fe71fZ27PzRLejZt2_XkQkch9vZ5AY&vps=31&jsv=460f&sll=39.854147,-105.092812&sspn=0.070503,0.169086&vpsrc=6&mra=mi&mrsp=15&sz=13&num=10&dg=feature

~Barn~
Fri Aug 2nd, 2013, 01:15 PM
I'm a maybe.

Vance
Fri Aug 2nd, 2013, 01:54 PM
I'm a maybe.

WOOO HOOO!!!
I don't think in the decade + I've been here on the CSC I've ever ridden with you Barn!
I'd love it if you can make it out so we can change that sad fact.

Vance
Fri Aug 2nd, 2013, 01:55 PM
So we currently have:

Coming / Likely:

Myself
Drama + 1
SlowPole
The Mayor
Rezado

Maybes Include:
Sully
Generic
DK74
Matty
Barn

Rockerbabe88
Fri Aug 2nd, 2013, 09:32 PM
I'm gonna have to come out riding with you guys sometime and increase the estrogen count =p. but Sunday is gonna be my IMI day. Maybe I'll go hit up the Saturday ride :)

losermonkey
Fri Aug 2nd, 2013, 10:32 PM
Add Monkey to the Maybe. This might be a good ride to try and get used to my new leathers.
Barn our Italian ladies can have a nice play date.

rifleshooter
Sat Aug 3rd, 2013, 03:22 AM
I may be in attendance. I will ask my friend Anthony to go; he's got a 2002 CBR954.

Vance
Sat Aug 3rd, 2013, 09:52 AM
Add Monkey to the Maybe. This might be a good ride to try and get used to my new leathers.
Barn our Italian ladies can have a nice play date.

WTF? Got some bias against the older Italian ladies???
Like Sophia Loren - Serenity has aged beyond gracefully!

Hope you can make it Monkey!
You as well Rifleshooter (and your friend Anthony)

Half LLive
Sat Aug 3rd, 2013, 12:46 PM
I would like to join you guys but I am still a somewhat new rider, only riding about 2.5 years, and never really rode in the mountains. Only been a city rider. But if you guys don't mind, I would most likely join you.

rifleshooter
Sat Aug 3rd, 2013, 01:03 PM
I would like to join you guys but I am still a somewhat new rider, only riding about 2.5 years, and never really rode in the mountains. Only been a city rider. But if you guys don't mind, I would most likely join you.

I'm a new rider myself. If I show, I won't likely go 1000 mph. And, we never leave a man behind!

Nolan
Sat Aug 3rd, 2013, 02:10 PM

Ride your ride. Leave the ego at home. More than likely someone will be following you and sweeping for the group(s). As long as you're riding safe you'll likely learn something from being in the back. Just make sure you let people know where you're at with your ability. There's usually somebody that will give you a few tips if you ask.

Oh and have fun!

~Barn~
Sat Aug 3rd, 2013, 04:31 PM
If you've survived city riding for that long and haven't had an incident, I'd say there's no reason your canyon instincts won't be as acute. It's already been said but bears repeating. Ride your own ride and understand the urge to "push" will probably come early and often... Whatever's whatever but find your pace, be courteous, and don't wreck. I think you'll be golden.

Vance
Sat Aug 3rd, 2013, 05:06 PM
If you've survived city riding for that long and haven't had an incident, I'd say there's no reason your canyon instincts won't be as acute. It's already been said but bears repeating. Ride your own ride and understand the urge to "push" will probably come early and often... Whatever's whatever but find your pace, be courteous, and don't wreck. I think you'll be golden.

As Barn and Nolan said - and others before - ride your comfort level. That's why we have the little caveats established on group rides about waiting for the entire group before making a major turn / road change - even when the map is known. No one gets left behind - even if they have to do 20 mph in a 25mph turn! :)

Please feel free to join us - and enjoy the thrill of these majestic mountain roadways on two wheels!

Vance
Sat Aug 3rd, 2013, 05:08 PM
Oh - and do give this a once over for sure...
It's well worth the read!

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/local/ThePace.html

biikChiQ
Sat Aug 3rd, 2013, 05:30 PM
I'm a maybe, and might break off in Boulder.

niko303
Sat Aug 3rd, 2013, 05:32 PM
I may be in ...

fruitblender
Sat Aug 3rd, 2013, 05:50 PM
Hey guys, I'll join up tomorrow! Look forward to meeting you :)

Matty
Sat Aug 3rd, 2013, 06:42 PM
If I can make it.. I'll probably take off in Boulder as well.

DriverDave
Sat Aug 3rd, 2013, 06:46 PM
Weather forecast is looking a bit better than today... Count me as a maybe.

Drama2
Sat Aug 3rd, 2013, 07:10 PM
I am new as well, been about 3 weeks. Haha joke from today. Maybe 2 years, you will do fine in the mountains.

Klaiceps
Sat Aug 3rd, 2013, 09:45 PM
New to Colorado as well as this forum. I gotta try out my new tires so I might join you guys.

Dasaxman6
Sat Aug 3rd, 2013, 09:52 PM
Got clearance from the boss lady I will be there!

Half LLive
Sat Aug 3rd, 2013, 10:36 PM
If my neck is feeling better in the morning, it sucked riding home tonight, I should be there.

rifleshooter
Sat Aug 3rd, 2013, 11:03 PM
Well, Anthony and I just finished wrenching on his 954. It's almost 11 p.m. and I haven't eaten yet. There's no way I can make it. I may ride part of the route later. If I see you cats, I'll wave !

~Barn~
Sat Aug 3rd, 2013, 11:25 PM
I just got done watching the UFC. I'm still a maybe. =)

SlayerAt5280
Sat Aug 3rd, 2013, 11:26 PM
Im there

HOTCARCASS
Sun Aug 4th, 2013, 06:01 AM
What a ride this one is going to be.

Vance
Sun Aug 4th, 2013, 07:03 AM
Well I certainly hope everyone that is a maybe can make it!

I'll be going KSU from home here in about 30 to head to Golden... see you all there.

big_sur
Sun Aug 4th, 2013, 07:25 AM
In

SlowPoke
Sun Aug 4th, 2013, 07:27 AM
Heading to the rally point from Northglenn in five. See you all there!

~Barn~
Sun Aug 4th, 2013, 07:57 AM
I'm out. Even though the odds of me getting called are slim [I'm on-call this weekend], I can't chance a client trying to reach me and me be unavailable. Sorry I was being a tease. =\

Drama2
Sun Aug 4th, 2013, 10:01 AM
Sorry Vance, apparently I overslept.

Well I certainly hope everyone that is a maybe can make it!

I'll be going KSU from home here in about 30 to head to Golden... see you all there.

losermonkey
Sun Aug 4th, 2013, 10:47 AM
I decided to run into the side of a car, somehow I am okay though

Nolan
Sun Aug 4th, 2013, 10:58 AM

WTF?

~Barn~
Sun Aug 4th, 2013, 12:09 PM

Please tell me you did this on your feet and not on top of your bike....

losermonkey
Sun Aug 4th, 2013, 12:34 PM
I can lie and say I wasn't on my bike. I don't really know how it happened, I wasn't going to fast, I was looking through the turn. The only thing I can really think of is that my hands were falling asleep so when it felt like I was pushing maybe I wasn't pushing as hard as I thought. My knee slider put a nice gash in the side of their car, the carbon on my knuckles is dented in, and my handle bars are a little tweaked. Other than that everything is okay.

Something happened with my Contour and it didn't record the impact. Kind of sad about that.

DriverDave
Sun Aug 4th, 2013, 01:10 PM
Of course the one time I didn't have my GoPro, I was right behind you and coulda got the whole thing on video. Glad you managed to keep it upright after the hit. Good ride, other than that. My little group made it back without any issues. Hope the main group enjoyed their ice cream in Estes.

Matty
Sun Aug 4th, 2013, 01:23 PM
Other than getting stuck by tourists on golden gate and 119 it was fun leading till Lyons. Chip seal on 7 is perfect!!!

Glad you kept it upright losermonkey...

Vance hope you and the rest of the group made it home safely.

losermonkey
Sun Aug 4th, 2013, 01:25 PM
I'm more upset that I only got 30 minutes of footage from the whole ride than the fact that I hit someone. This is what my knee puck ended up doing to them. https://sphotos-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/q84/s720x720/972097_10200733847123374_480807197_n.jpg

CHRISTIAN COWBOY
Sun Aug 4th, 2013, 02:28 PM
Chuck Norris would be proud of you for punching a car...and while doing a front endo too...Glad everyone was ok..
signed,
the guy with the bright yellow jacket on so everyone could see me..

Dasaxman6
Sun Aug 4th, 2013, 03:08 PM
That was an excellent ride!(minus the car getting hit and the slow cagers that would not get out of the way) thank you Vance for putting this one together!

Half LLive
Sun Aug 4th, 2013, 03:17 PM
For my first group ride and mountain ride, I had a blast. Thanks for letting my join ya guys. Also, would anyone mine if I put some clips of my video I took with my go-pro on youtube? There will be no faces shown.

big_sur
Sun Aug 4th, 2013, 03:50 PM
Likewise, first time out here in CO and it was a good ride. No tickets and good times. Nice to meet you guys and thanks for putting it together.

-Kevin (KTM 690)

fruitblender
Sun Aug 4th, 2013, 07:03 PM
My first big group ride, I had lots of fun meeting and riding with all of you!! Look forward to the next go!

theMayor
Sun Aug 4th, 2013, 11:02 PM
For my first group ride and mountain ride, I had a blast. Thanks for letting my join ya guys. Also, would anyone mine if I put some clips of my video I took with my go-pro on youtube? There will be no faces shown.

Do it and post the link here!

Thanks for the fun, guys. Wish there weren't so many cars, but those roads were a pretty sweet! And sorry bout your wreck monkey, but at least you re ok! Scared the sh*t outta me, though...

btw, I was the guy on the black SV650. Hope to see y'all again!

niko303
Mon Aug 5th, 2013, 05:40 AM
I had a good time with you fellas...had to cut out in Lyons, happy to meet some new peeps..Got to see a RSV it truely is a nice bike....Monkey I am more than happy u r ok...keep the focus brorher them there mountains dont forgive much..if any...

Vance
Mon Aug 5th, 2013, 06:24 AM
Thanks to everyone who showed for the ride --- and I am happy our only "MAJOR" mishap turned out to be minor in the grande scope of what a typical "bike impacts car" means these days! More importantly I'm glad you personally are okay Losermonkey. Bikes and cars can be fixed. DOAs cannot!

I'm still curious as to hear the story of what happened with the candy apple red Kawi and the Volvo which seemed to have resulted in no damage - but with both bike and car on the shoulder of the road.

But mishaps, close calls (including with police), and torment by a particular silver Cadillac from Florida aside --- in my humble opinion it was a very good ride for both experienced and noob alike!

losermonkey
Mon Aug 5th, 2013, 07:43 AM
The only thing I can really think of that happened is that both my hands were numb so maybe I wasn't pushing as hard as I thought I was. As someone in Lyons said "judging by your tires it looks like you know how to ride."

Anyway, thanks for the support, my hand is swollen pretty good today, but everything is fine.

REZADO
Mon Aug 5th, 2013, 08:28 AM
I am definitely bringing my gopro on every group ride from now on. Thanks to vance for putting the ride together. 7 is a fun road. The only problem is that it is too short.

Monkey. There could be any number of reasons why it happened.
1. rolling off the gas
2. Tightening on the bars
3. Narrowed and frantically hunting field of view
4. fixed attention (on something)
5. Steering in the direction of the fixed attention
6. No steering (frozen) or ineffective (not quick enough or too early) steering
7. Braking errors (both over-and under-braking)

Those are Keith Code's seven deadly reactions. Glad you are okay. It will buff out. Ice and ibuprofen.

I'm still curious as to hear the story of what happened with the candy apple red Kawi and the Volvo which seemed to have resulted in no damage - but with both bike and car on the shoulder of the road.

As for the volvo, there was no incident with the kawi. The front group pulled over to wait for the rest of the group and this lady in a volvo pulled up. She starts off by saying that she is a nurse and that she scrapes bikers off the road, up on 7, all the time. Okay lady, thanks for brightening my day. Then she proceeds to lecture me about crossing the double yellow. "I am pretty sure that I passed you in a passing zone, lady" I says to the lady in the volvo. To which she replies "You may have, but your friend didnt and I wrote his license plate number down." So, why are you talking to me again?

Anyways, I couldnt tell if she was genuinely concerned or if she was trying to be a d!ck. I really dont think anyone passed her on the double yellow. We were all passing pretty conservatively.

Good to meet all of you. Look forward to doing it again.

SlowPoke
Mon Aug 5th, 2013, 09:23 AM
It was my license plate she wrote down... that's why I took off as I saw her writing it down. Here's what happened from my perspective. I was the fourth bike in a group of four that had gotten ahead of the main group due to traffic. All four of us tried to pass that Volvo at the same time, not sure if it was in a double yellow zone or not, but once we were in the passing lane we noticed a car even further up that was turning left. All I saw was everyone in front of me give the stopping signal, so I hit the brakes and pulled back in behind the Volvo (everyone else made it passed already).

As soon as I got behind her, I noticed she was going crazy in her car, waving her hands, screaming something I obviously couldn't hear out her window, basically just going nuts, I guess because she thought we made a dangerous attempt to pass. The next time it was clear to pass I went to go around her and she threw something at me (I think it was a lighter, but I'm not sure, I just saw her chuck something out the window). When she did that I saw the road was clear for a while, so I slowed down right next to her window and glanced over to see WTF she was doing. She was screaming asshole, flipping me off, and had just thrown something at me. All I did was kept yelling, "What!?! I can't hear you!", pointing to my ear and reving my engine every time she started yelling profanities at me again.

Then I saw oncoming traffic, so I took off around her and caught up with the other three bikes. Then we all stopped to let the other group catch up and here comes the Volvo with the crazy woman. I saw her start writing down my plate number so I took off to join the other two bikes that had stopped another 50 yards or so down the road. I figured she was calling the cops and/or was looking for something bigger to throw at me!

That was the last I saw of her, but all that happened like ten minutes before we saw the police SUVs, so maybe she did call the cops?

In any case, it was fun riding with everyone! That was my first group ride here in CO and I had a blast. Look forward to doing it again soon! And if anyone has pictures/video, post 'em up as I forgot my phone that morning and couldn't take any of my own.

Generic
Mon Aug 5th, 2013, 09:58 AM
Yea, another fun ride for me as well. Sorry about missing the Hwy 72 turn after we got out of Nederland, ended up doing a quick u-turn at Rollinsville and catching it on the way back. Did I mention I don't want to lead?

Good times and I enjoyed meeting everyone, hopefully I didn't slow you all up when I was leading.

REZADO
Mon Aug 5th, 2013, 10:42 AM
I dont understand why she thinks it isnt okay for a motorcycle to pass on a double but throwing shit out the window of your moving car at a person on a motorcycle is okay.

Crazy!

~Barn~
Mon Aug 5th, 2013, 10:43 AM
<Snip...> I saw the road was clear for a while, so I slowed down right next to her window and glanced over to see WTF she was doing. She was screaming asshole, flipping me off, and had just thrown something at me. All I did was kept yelling, "What!?! I can't hear you!", pointing to my ear and reving my engine every time she started yelling profanities at me again. <Snip...>
Why bother? :loser:

mdub
Mon Aug 5th, 2013, 10:51 AM
sounds like i missed a good ride ....

SlowPoke
Mon Aug 5th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Why bother? :loser:

Yeah, in hindsight it was probably a stupid move, but at the time I was all amped up and she just threw something at me, so I guess it seemed like a good idea to play with the crazy woman for a second. It's not like I tried to kick off her side mirror or threw pennies at her windshield or anything.

UHATEIT
Mon Aug 5th, 2013, 02:54 PM
This looks like it was a good group ride as well!

Half LLive
Mon Aug 5th, 2013, 08:30 PM
My videos are going to be posted here

http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?51299-Sunday-4th-Canyon-Run-Videos&p=743467#post743467

SlayerAt5280
Tue Aug 6th, 2013, 06:32 PM
Sorry took me a while to get back online. Great ride guys! It was nice to lead for once, even if we had too many cop scares to actually go fast. Hoping to see yall out there again.

Generic
Wed Aug 7th, 2013, 08:41 AM
Sorry took me a while to get back online. Great ride guys! It was nice to lead for once, even if we had too many cop scares to actually go fast. Hoping to see yall out there again.

I'm happy to let you lead any time! I have to say, that Daytona sounds amazing, I want one for that sound exhaust note alone.

Also, geeking out with boardgames this Saturday if anyone wants to come.