PDA

View Full Version : Suspension question

rudolfs001
Mon Aug 5th, 2013, 08:52 AM
How difficult is it to set up my suspension correctly? I'm decent at working on my bike, so I could probably do it if it's not something tremendously complex.

If so, which shop would be a good place to go to do this?
I'm in Boulder, btw.

big_sur
Mon Aug 5th, 2013, 09:48 AM
Excluding changing springs or shim stacks, it's more about understanding what you're doing than actually doing it. Doing it might at most require the use of a screwdriver and spanner. If you just set the preload, you'll probably get 80% of the benefit for 20% of the work. It's probably under Sag or Preload adjustment in your manual.

You can probably just leave the compression and rebound damping at factory settings, but if you want to get a little more involved, set the compression dampening in the front to full soft, take it for a familiar run, then full hard. Same thing with the back. Then do the extremes of rebound damping front and rear, one at a time, and you'll start to get a feel for what those things mean. Once you get a basic understanding, put all the settings back to stock (except preload), and just start playing with it given your new found understanding.

I'd suggest this book if you want to really learn about it - http://www.amazon.com/Techs-Motorcycle-Suspension-Motorbooks-Workshop/dp/0760331405

asp_125
Mon Aug 5th, 2013, 10:27 AM
+1 it's more about understanding what's going on, reading the tires, and which way to turn the screws. The actual wrenching is pretty easy. It may help to have another pair or hands to use the tape measure, though. FWIW I went to Rocky Mountain Kawi in Longmont to have the guys set up my old track bike. Marv is head wrench for one of the MRA racers.

CaneZach
Mon Aug 5th, 2013, 12:01 PM
+2 to what's been said already. Doing is the easy part. Understanding what to change or why the bike is doing X when you're adjusting Y is the hard part.

Go see the long-bearded one!

rudolfs001
Wed Aug 7th, 2013, 08:43 AM
Thanks guys!!

rybo
Wed Aug 7th, 2013, 12:32 PM
Let me say, the spring is by far the most important part of the equation. If you have the wrong spring, it doesn't matter what you do with any of the other settings, it's wrong.

All the other advice above is good. The "bearded one" is Dave Rose and you can find him at www.stmsuspension.com

have fun!

Nolan
Wed Aug 7th, 2013, 11:04 PM
+1 for Dave.

TinkerinWstuff
Wed Aug 14th, 2013, 05:09 PM
Dave