PDA

View Full Version : New Jeep...trails?

big_sur
Thu Aug 15th, 2013, 09:43 AM
My wife and I figured we might as well get a Jeep since we moved to Colorado and what not so we're going to go pick up a new-to-us '09 Rubicon Unlimited. It's stock so keep that in mind, but I was wondering if you guys had any trail suggestions where we could go try it out.

asp_125
Thu Aug 15th, 2013, 09:58 AM
Lots of trails around here for stock vehicles. Start with easy stuff like Rollins Pass, Kingston Peak, Georgia Pass, or stuff behind Central City .. you could probably even do trails like Lefthand without any damage. ;)

I started with this series of books and worked my way up the difficulty list. http://www.amazon.com/Colorado-Backroads-4-Wheel-Drive-Trails-Edition/dp/1934838047

teamextreme
Thu Aug 15th, 2013, 12:49 PM
The Wells books linked above are probably the best resource for finding trails and he rates them for difficulty, which is important for a newb with a stocker (although a Rubicon can almost not be considered stock as it's incredibly capable in stock form). Check out traildamage.com too for good trail reports. The biggest pieces of advice I can give is before you go on any trails and before you spend money on any upgrades, put some money into prepping your rig with recovery gear (tow straps, high lift jack, shackles, tow points on vehicle, etc) , tools and spare parts. They are the most important "upgrade" you can get. Also, airing down your tires will help immensely when you get on a little more difficult trails and will also soften the ride up and make it much more comfortable on the easy but rough trails.

asp_125
Thu Aug 15th, 2013, 01:27 PM
The Wells books linked above are probably the best resource for finding trails and he rates them for difficulty, which is important for a newb with a stocker (although a Rubicon can almost not be considered stock as it's incredibly capable in stock form). Check out traildamage.com too for good trail reports. The biggest pieces of advice I can give is before you go on any trails and before you spend money on any upgrades, put some money into prepping your rig with recovery gear (tow straps, high lift jack, shackles, tow points on vehicle, etc) , tools and spare parts. They are the most important "upgrade" you can get. Also, airing down your tires will help immensely when you get on a little more difficult trails and will also soften the ride up and make it much more comfortable on the easy but rough trails.

+1 and the best upgrade I learned early was how to pick your line and tire placement to maximize traction and minimize dragging hard parts.

One-ops
Thu Aug 15th, 2013, 02:22 PM
Love those books!! They have an app now as well. Plus mvum have an app as well. You will be able to do alot of trails but will be needed some ground clearance for some stuff but that rubi will be unstopable on a ton of stuff here.Congrats for when you get it. I want one!!

asp_125
Thu Aug 15th, 2013, 03:13 PM
PS there's also a bunch of trails up behind Keystone / Montezuma that a stocker can do.

DriverDave
Thu Aug 15th, 2013, 05:35 PM
+1 on the books, Rollins Pass, and Montezuma. There's also a great loop trail above Empire. Oh, and all those trails become twice as spectacular in Sept/Oct! :yes: