PDA

View Full Version : Shopping for a New Car

Zanatos
Tue Aug 20th, 2013, 08:02 PM
After 10 short years, I am starting to look at possible replacements for my 2003 Acura TL Type S.

I want a fast, reliable, sporty sedan with all-wheel-drive that I can afford without going on a diet of peanut butter sandwiches.

What do you think of these three options?

BMW 335i xDrive Sedan
Cadillac ATS 3.6L
Ford Taurus SHO 3.6 AWD

Wrider
Tue Aug 20th, 2013, 08:10 PM
Maybe throw in the Audi Allroad?

AOK303
Tue Aug 20th, 2013, 08:31 PM
first are you buying new or used? and the SHO all wheel drive is curb city in the winter

the bmw and caddy are fun to drive cars audi's S4 would be in that same catagory and its SUPERCHARGED fun ... you could throw in the new TL-SH and the RLX and IS350 if you want JAp

Snazzy
Tue Aug 20th, 2013, 08:47 PM
Why not a WRX or STi? There are only 50 billion used/new ones in CO lol

It isn't AWD, but a fun FWD car I think is the turbo 6spd Dodge Dart. Like a large Fiat Abarth.

Grant H.
Tue Aug 20th, 2013, 09:01 PM
Honestly, the new SHO's look pretty slick.

I would give them a solid look. Twin Turbo v6's are a blast.

~Barn~
Tue Aug 20th, 2013, 09:10 PM
Just throwin' it out there... (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?49842-2006-Mazdaspeed6-for-sale)

buddahson
Tue Aug 20th, 2013, 09:48 PM
335xi by far. Reasonably quick out of the box, and takes well to a tune. I think it's a pretty classy car as well. Please remember, just because you drive a bmw doesn't mean you have to drive like a d-bag.

sag
Tue Aug 20th, 2013, 09:55 PM
plus one for 3 series or a4. maybe a c class 4matic. make sure you just go drive them though so you know what you absolutely want and/or could pass on. lots of cars will certainly be more peppy than a first gen type s but slower and a lot cheaper than a 335 or s4. if the service costs scare you too much for the germans, i would take a look at the g37x and the lexus 250/350s.

AOK303
Tue Aug 20th, 2013, 10:27 PM
335xi by far. Reasonably quick out of the box, and takes well to a tune. I think it's a pretty classy car as well. Please remember, just because you drive a bmw doesn't mean you have to drive like a d-bag.

these do not work well with a tune... high fail rate of highpressurefuelpump and Turbo lag if you do the Software update. they also ran into the issue like audi had on the 2.7s4 motor of one turbo going bad leading the other to fail

huge class action law suit N54 motor but they did extend the warranty due to this but its not a closed case yet

AOK303
Tue Aug 20th, 2013, 10:35 PM
the gx37 is like driving a grandmothers car unless you chip it and the inside feels ... meh, the SHO has shown to not have a great winter ride, and C series 4matic have a under power feel unless you go AMG version the is250awd not worth it if you want sport ride the 350awd is nice but price for it a lil step but still in the same class as a 335xi and S4.

I looked at both the s4 and 335xi
i did test drive a 350is and ISF
my friend owns a C series 4omatic which we will not take to go boarding in the mountains

the caddy i never did get to test drive i do like there higher end cars not sure how an ats falls into the group does it have the corvette package you can get for brakes and suspension?

birchyboy
Wed Aug 21st, 2013, 06:12 AM
Have you looked at a new TL SH-AWD? I've got one for a service loaner right now, and I've got to say I'm pretty impressed.

tecknojoe
Wed Aug 21st, 2013, 07:03 AM
S4 with dual clutch transmission. Well, if you're into that sorta thing

madvlad
Wed Aug 21st, 2013, 07:04 AM
Come test drive the new Q50 hybrid. It's AWD, 360HP, damn fun car.

GMR
Wed Aug 21st, 2013, 07:53 AM
If you can afford it, definitely go with the ATS I know I would if I could. The SHO would also be a good choice, and that Q50 sounds good as well, and the TL. You could go with an STi but like Audis and bimmers, everyone I've known to own one ran into too many issues for it to be worth it.

tecknojoe
Wed Aug 21st, 2013, 08:03 AM
I'm still amazed at how bad of a reputation the audis have. Mine was great

UHATEIT
Wed Aug 21st, 2013, 09:05 AM
I am actively shopping around myself and was also looking for an awd hatchback. I have already gone to 4 dealerships over the past 2 weeks and am interested in the Subaru WRX. Unfortunately there are NONE to be found in the state, so there is no way to test drive one. GO and Groove both said I can put a $500 deposit down and pre-order a 2014 which willa rrive in late October to November. Which is a long time to wait for a car I've never driven.

I was also very unsatisfied at how PLAIN the WRX is inside. There are absolutely no options, looks plain as shit (might as well be a Jeep) at the $26K base price. Then if you want fog lights or sunroof you're around $28K for the premium and then $30K for the limited with leather. Granted I am sure someone will chime in and say you can get a Limited for $28500 or whatever, this seems like an overpriced car to me tho it looks awesome.

Also it only comes in a 5speed (I do not need an STI nor do I want that much power at all) and only comes with 17 inch rims as well with summer tires that will have to be swapped immediatly upon purchase to be able to use the car in good snow in November when the car arrives. Seems like a total joke!

I currently have a 2011 Mazda 3 hatchback, which is a lease and the very first time I have ever leased a car as I typically do not keep anything beyond 2-3 years. That lease expires in March 2014 and I will have the option to buy it out for $13K. I am thinking despite it being only fwd, that it may be best money-wise to just buy out the lease at 13K and put on some snow tires (I have a spare set of mazda rims from a prior mazda) which will run me maybe $400 installed rather than getting into a car at $28K plus taxes and higher insurance. granted the WRX wagon looks fuckin gorgeous especially in white which is what I would order, there really is nothing wrong with the mazda 3 hatch I have other than it being fwd only. But there are plenty of people who rock fwd around this state and still do fine so maybe I should just deal with my fwd and save the money?

I also baby my mazda so it has low miles and is in great condition and this is my 4th Mazda as well and on the other 3 absolutely nothing has ever broken on them nor on this one so I would feel confident this car would last up to 100K no problem.

tecknojoe
Wed Aug 21st, 2013, 09:13 AM
I really liked the limited wrx (~$29k). I thought they did a great job on the interior compared to the crappy base model

With the lease, you'll want to look into your options. Since you have the buy out option, you'll likely be able to sell it. Most leases keep a running tab on your buyout cost. For example, I can buy out mine right now for $x amount, then next month after I pay my monthy, it's slightly less. See if you can get a payoff quote. List it for sale at whatever price you think you can get. if it sells for 15k and you owe 13k, you can have the buyer cut a check directly to mazda and you keep the extra cash. It's a good way to end your lease, end your time in the car, and walk away with your own money that otherwise, the dealer would take when you turn the car back in.

UHATEIT
Wed Aug 21st, 2013, 09:39 AM
I have talked to the bank and the dealership about everything. Right now I owe $13800 but they would give me $15000 if I wanted to trade it in and put the extra $1200 onto something else, tho I keep thinking that keeping the Mazda and just getting snow tires for winter may be the best option rather than jumping into a 28K+ car with new car taxes and crap interior and only a 5spd and 17s. By the time I make my last 6 payments or so the cost owed at end of lease will be under 13K (so have been advised if going to buy it out just wait until then as the payoff is less) I do really like the WRX, and I agree the limited looks much better (in the pics since they have jack shit at any dealership in the state for the wrx), tho to more than double a new loan for that car when mine is pretty fresh condition with low miles since I hardly drive and I baby the car I would just have to deal without AWD.

While I know many will say AWD is the way to go, do any of you feel it is an absolutely necessity in CO. I never go offroading/camping, only drive to Copper/Loveland to snowboard maybe 6 times in the winter and typically do it when its not snowing or ride with others anyways. I do commute 8 miles only to work and honestly they plow the roads very well where I drive (Hampden Ave and 225 to DTC)

I have been a debating whore back and forth for the last few months about this. I was dead set that the WRX was what i wanted (just based on looks alone) without ever driving one or seeing one at a dealership. Only recently is when I went and there are no WRX left, you have to wait for the 2014 to arrive, tho I did like the option of guarenteeing you one of the stock by ordering it and picking the options you want from the factory. I have also checked out the Mazdaspeed 3 stock that is 2013 models and what is left at Groove Mazda (I had a Mazdaspeed 3 prior to my current regular 3) and while they have great deals and can get it fully loaded with all options/nav/leather/6spd/18s, it would run around 25K but I would still be with FWD and need snow tires in winter since they come with crap summer ones.

mxer
Wed Aug 21st, 2013, 09:54 AM
If you have good tires and aren't stupid, AWD is NOT a necessity. AWD just helps you get going and slightly helps in turning. You stop like any other car.

If anything, it hinders you since you think your car is invincible (I have an STI).

If he's looking at BMWs and Caddys, there's no way he would stoop to the build quality of an econobox impreza.

Go for a used Cayenne turbo...best of everything.

birchyboy
Wed Aug 21st, 2013, 09:55 AM
The necessity of AWD is a purely personal decision. I grew up in Maine and only owned a 4x4 for a short period of time. I never needed AWD or 4WD because I used common sense while driving. CO's snowfall (except for the mountains) is much less than Maine and driving is overall much easier in the winter months.

asp_125
Wed Aug 21st, 2013, 10:09 AM
There's only a handful of days that you absolutely need AWD 4WD. The usual case is that you're stuck in traffic with the idiots without snow tires it doesn't matter. I have an A3 with AWD and DSG but it's too light and tends to float on deep snow; moreso than when I had my Murano with AWD and traction control.

Sully
Wed Aug 21st, 2013, 10:23 AM
There's only a handful of days that you absolutely need AWD 4WD. The usual case is that you're stuck in traffic with the idiots without snow tires it doesn't matter. I have an A3 with AWD and DSG but it's too light and tends to float on deep snow; moreso than when I had my Murano with AWD and traction control.

I also have AWD, and a heavy pimp mobile with 300hp :yumyum:. I put snow tires on in the winter and get around amazingly :hump:.. However, like Jeff said above, the usual case is that you're stuck behind some dipstick who has donuts for tires and is going nowhere fast, blocking everyone. Sooo much FAIL! :sniper:

UHATEIT
Wed Aug 21st, 2013, 10:26 AM

I was on Hampden in a snowstorm this year on a decent slope and a 4wd Nissan Pathfinder was in front of me, all 4 wheels spinning and thank god I was able to keep momentum and went past him in the left hand turning lane to then get back in front of him. You are correct even with 4wd you still need good tires, my fwd with crap ass summer tires went right by but they are cheap (dealership tires) and worn out now so they won't work this winter if we get any decent snow). The trick is not to stop on a hill! Scariest part of my drive to work is the 225 overpass from Parker Rd up and over to 225 Southbound. It's only 2 lanes and somewhat steep if the snow/ice is bad and it just take one car to lose it for that whole thing to be a shit show.

My wife drives an AWD Mazda CX-7 which is fwd until it registers the slip then sends 50/50 to front and rear. That thing is heavy as hell and is a beast in even deep snow. Also good tires does make a difference for sure.

Sully
Wed Aug 21st, 2013, 10:40 AM
Scariest part of my drive to work is the 225 overpass from Parker Rd up and over to 225 Southbound. It's only 2 lanes and somewhat steep if the snow/ice is bad and it just take one car to lose it for that whole thing to be a shit show.

You can proceed past the overpass and go under 225 and turn left at Peoria to get onto I-225 or take the dam road :)

~Barn~
Wed Aug 21st, 2013, 10:49 AM
Seasonal vehicles = problem solved

UHATEIT
Wed Aug 21st, 2013, 10:55 AM
You can proceed past the overpass and go under 225 and turn left at Peoria to get onto I-225 or take the dam road :)

I haven't tried the Parker/peoria route tho I know it's there and usually Parker is so backed up right there. I have taken the Dam Rd but with the school kids that road can suck ass! I did take the damn road during anasty snowstorm/whiteout and it was a breeze getting to the DTC. But that little sliver where you ride off the dam rd exit to get to the underpass to get to the dam rd is almost always backed up as well and in the snowstorm I completely locked up and slid down that sectionbefore catching tracktion (probably ice there) and luckily no carss were there or I'd have hit someone.

tecknojoe
Wed Aug 21st, 2013, 11:18 AM
The one time I absolutely needed AWD was when some moron slammed on her brakes in a turn and spun out in front of me. I had to aim towards a ditch to avoid her and my front two wheels ended up in a ditch during a snowstorm. I'm SO glad I had AWD for that, otherwise I'd be stuck there for god knows how long waiting for a tow truck

We get snow enough to where I'll always have AWD when I'm in colorado. If for nothing else, to compensate for other idiots on the road that don't know how to manage their cheap front wheel drive bald-tires gas savers

asp_125
Wed Aug 21st, 2013, 01:28 PM
Working remote from home on snow days.. problem solved. :D

AOK303
Wed Aug 21st, 2013, 07:11 PM
If you have good tires and aren't stupid, AWD is NOT a necessity. AWD just helps you get going and slightly helps in turning. You stop like any other car.

If anything, it hinders you since you think your car is invincible (I have an STI).

If he's looking at BMWs and Caddys, there's no way he would stoop to the build quality of an econobox impreza.

if thats what you think awd is ... then a soap box car drives the same as a car

But like most have said you dont need awd to get around Colorado correct tires and alignment your would be fine 99.8 percent of the time
One thing to look at is How each all wheel drive system you are looking at is set up, They all have awd but they all will have different traction controls.

Zanatos
Wed Aug 21st, 2013, 07:13 PM
Maybe throw in the Audi Allroad?

Only 220 hp, and it's $55,000+ with the prestige package. I wouldn't even be able to afford bread to go with my peanut butter.

Zanatos
Wed Aug 21st, 2013, 07:16 PM
I'm planning to buy new. I'm trying to wait for the next Acura TL (TLX?), but it looks like that won't be out until 2015. I like the RL, but it would set me back more than $60K - too rich for my blood.

Zanatos
Wed Aug 21st, 2013, 07:21 PM
Why not a WRX or STi? There are only 50 billion used/new ones in CO lol

It isn't AWD, but a fun FWD car I think is the turbo 6spd Dodge Dart. Like a large Fiat Abarth.

My wife is really spoiled and wants to upgrade from the TL-S. We had a Dodge Intrepid before we got the TL, and the transmission fell apart at 80,000 miles.

Zanatos
Wed Aug 21st, 2013, 07:24 PM
Just throwin' it out there... (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?49842-2006-Mazdaspeed6-for-sale)

The Mazdas are nice, I bought my son a new silver Mazda 3 when he graduated college. Less than a month later he totaled it and got a Mazda 6. I live in a hilly area, and my wife wants AWD so she can still get to work when it's snowy.

Zanatos
Wed Aug 21st, 2013, 07:32 PM
plus one for 3 series or a4. maybe a c class 4matic. make sure you just go drive them though so you know what you absolutely want and/or could pass on. lots of cars will certainly be more peppy than a first gen type s but slower and a lot cheaper than a 335 or s4. if the service costs scare you too much for the germans, i would take a look at the g37x and the lexus 250/350s.

Good recommendations. One of the things I like best about the 335i is that the first four years of maintenance are included. The downside is, there are a lot of haters who think BMW owners are entitled a-holes. Then there are the ones who think 3-series owners are all "wanna be rich guys" because they didn't spend $91K on an M5.

Zanatos
Wed Aug 21st, 2013, 07:34 PM
these do not work well with a tune... high fail rate of highpressurefuelpump and Turbo lag if you do the Software update. they also ran into the issue like audi had on the 2.7s4 motor of one turbo going bad leading the other to fail

huge class action law suit N54 motor but they did extend the warranty due to this but its not a closed case yet

VERY good to know. Thanks.

Zanatos
Wed Aug 21st, 2013, 09:09 PM
Come test drive the new Q50 hybrid. It's AWD, 360HP, damn fun car.

Wow, I just checked out the Q50 online, and it's definitely a contender. A 360 hp AWD hybrid 3.5L V6 that gets 34 mpg on the highway and sells for $52K with every option, and my wife likes the styling. How did Infiniti do that?

Zanatos
Wed Aug 21st, 2013, 09:16 PM
I am actively shopping around myself and was also looking for an awd hatchback. I have already gone to 4 dealerships over the past 2 weeks and am interested in the Subaru WRX. Unfortunately there are NONE to be found in the state, so there is no way to test drive one. GO and Groove both said I can put a $500 deposit down and pre-order a 2014 which willa rrive in late October to November. Which is a long time to wait for a car I've never driven.

I was also very unsatisfied at how PLAIN the WRX is inside. There are absolutely no options, looks plain as shit (might as well be a Jeep) at the $26K base price. Then if you want fog lights or sunroof you're around $28K for the premium and then $30K for the limited with leather. Granted I am sure someone will chime in and say you can get a Limited for $28500 or whatever, this seems like an overpriced car to me tho it looks awesome.

Also it only comes in a 5speed (I do not need an STI nor do I want that much power at all) and only comes with 17 inch rims as well with summer tires that will have to be swapped immediatly upon purchase to be able to use the car in good snow in November when the car arrives. Seems like a total joke!

I currently have a 2011 Mazda 3 hatchback, which is a lease and the very first time I have ever leased a car as I typically do not keep anything beyond 2-3 years. That lease expires in March 2014 and I will have the option to buy it out for $13K. I am thinking despite it being only fwd, that it may be best money-wise to just buy out the lease at 13K and put on some snow tires (I have a spare set of mazda rims from a prior mazda) which will run me maybe $400 installed rather than getting into a car at $28K plus taxes and higher insurance. granted the WRX wagon looks fuckin gorgeous especially in white which is what I would order, there really is nothing wrong with the mazda 3 hatch I have other than it being fwd only. But there are plenty of people who rock fwd around this state and still do fine so maybe I should just deal with my fwd and save the money?

I also baby my mazda so it has low miles and is in great condition and this is my 4th Mazda as well and on the other 3 absolutely nothing has ever broken on them nor on this one so I would feel confident this car would last up to 100K no problem.

I baby the heck out of my cars too. My old Acura still looks and drives like new, and it only has 90,000 miles on it.

http://images.plus613.net/images/5/d/f/8/www_plus613_net_acuratls.jpg

Zanatos
Wed Aug 21st, 2013, 09:20 PM

The new car will mainly be for my wife. We live at the bottom of a huge hill, and the city never plows our streets, so she really wants AWD. My primary ride is an old V-8 Toyota 4Runner with full-time AWD.

~Barn~
Wed Aug 21st, 2013, 09:28 PM
The Mazdas are nice, I bought my son a new silver Mazda 3 when he graduated college. Less than a month later he totaled it and got a Mazda 6. I live in a hilly area, and my wife wants AWD so she can still get to work when it's snowy.

You should buy this car then, I think you'd enjoy it. The AWD system on it isn't legendary, but with good tires and good-sense behind the wheel it would make a wonderful all-season car.

When my wife was major preggo, I had to take her to a really early Dr. Appt. and there were pretty ugly wet blizzard conditions down here in the DTC. I could have cleaned the 700 pounds of "slush" off the 'Burban, but I wanted to get her there comfy and just hurry up and get on the road, before rush hour started. Plus, I'll admit that I just wasn't feelin' it at 0:dark-thirty. Anyway, it was one of the rare times this MS6 saw snow, and it was wicked snow, and we got down to the Skyridge complex without a problem, total control and smooth sailing. The car had directional performance tires on it then (as it does now), so I could only imagine how it would drive, with proper all-weather M&S rated tires!

P.S. I'd probably consider $16,000/$15,900/$15,500 for it, but only from you because I know you're trying to get something nice and not go PB&J on us. With the cars you're mentioning though, I know you got a few bucks to spend, so short of me giving it away...

Let me know if you want to see it. ;)

~Barn~
Wed Aug 21st, 2013, 09:37 PM
Oh yeah. The AWD system - when it comes to spirited driving in good conditions - is an absolute treat. DCS is totally defeatable with the push of a button if you'd like, but even with it active, this car handles! :yes:

http://youtu.be/-v0qYy6CMlg

Snazzy
Wed Aug 21st, 2013, 09:49 PM
Subaru does have the worst interiors of all time.

Why not the new Mazda 6?
http://forum.mazda6club.com/attachments/mazda-6-3rd-generation-2013-present/83825d1343187058-3rd-gen-2013-2014-mazda6-autowp.ru_mazda_6_sedan_3blue.jpg

~Barn~
Wed Aug 21st, 2013, 09:58 PM
<Snip...> Why not the new Mazda 6?

Because this new Mazda6...
... doesn't offer AWD like my MS6.
... makes 185 HP, which is only like 200 less than my MS6.
... won't be exclusive to the tune of 10's of thousands made, unlike the limited release 2-year run of the MS6.
... will cost about 2x as much as my MS6, similarly equipped with the same "creature comforts".

That is a pretty blue though.

Snazzy
Wed Aug 21st, 2013, 10:02 PM
Your ms6 makes 385whp? Eeeeep.

Well yes, a 2013 is going to cost a bit more than a car that is almost 8years old.

~Barn~
Wed Aug 21st, 2013, 10:03 PM
Give or take. Depends on the tune that's running at the time, of course.

mxer
Wed Aug 21st, 2013, 10:19 PM
if thats what you think awd is ... then a soap box car drives the same as a car

But like most have said you dont need awd to get around Colorado correct tires and alignment your would be fine 99.8 percent of the time
One thing to look at is How each all wheel drive system you are looking at is set up, They all have awd but they all will have different traction controls.

What are you talking about? How does AWD help you stop on the ice? Which is where most of the problems occur. My previous FWD with studded snow tires was unstoppable when SUVs with 4WD were all in the ditch or stuck at the bottom of the hill. Plus I've seen more subies stuck on the side of road due to their inflated egos about AWD. Again, I have an STI so I know what I'm talking about.

~Barn~
Wed Aug 21st, 2013, 10:24 PM
What are you talking about? How does AWD help you stop on the ice?<Snip...>

AWD doesn't help you stop any better on the ice, but I don't think that's what he was getting at. I think he was taking issue with when you said "AWD just helps you get going and slightly helps in turning." My guess is that he feel's you're oversimplifying it, and I'd tend to agree. But yeah... the stopping thing I think we agree on.

STi AWD may be worse than I give it credit for though, and I'm not an owner of one like you, so I don't doubt that you speak from authority re: your perception of your vehicle.

Snazzy
Wed Aug 21st, 2013, 10:28 PM
Any car can be decent in the snow if you can drive, so far so good in my RWD with all seasons. if the weather is super shit, I will just not drive lol because I basically just drift most of the time.... by accident.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/946813_10151758884937573_530291597_n.jpg

I think knowing how to drive is most important. See my little purple ranger with the topper to the left? She never got stuck, see the SAS ranger next to her? It got stuck twice, and we were on the same trail.

https://sphotos-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash2/531581_10151622545287573_2080336126_n.jpg

Wrider
Wed Aug 21st, 2013, 10:55 PM
Only 220 hp, and it's $55,000+ with the prestige package. I wouldn't even be able to afford bread to go with my peanut butter.

Ah, I guess I was thinking it still came with the 2.7T. My uncle has one with that motor and likes it quite a bit.

AOK303
Wed Aug 21st, 2013, 11:21 PM
at MXER are you kidding me where did i say awd helps with stopping... and in colorado most weather related accidents are not from ICE its from to much packed snow that a tire can not grip causing it to loose traction in which most people slam on the breaks hence i said look at what type of traction controls they are fitting the awd with. you dont slam on brakes you drive through it if all possible on a slide (no this does not mean floor the gas)

Closet thing i could think you see with stopping would be traction control which has to do with how power is adaptive to the wheels to gain traction again .. that would mean movement not stopping
Its why they do presets for Snow Gravel and normal. so it puts down a certain amount of power when if feels it sleeping knowing that the average reaction of power to the road conditions
if he was living out East ice would be more of an issue its why they do STUDDED tires out there and here we just do Snow rated

Cornfed
Thu Aug 22nd, 2013, 07:32 AM
I know your not looking at a Dodge but wanted to say I just bought a pick up from Cherry Creak Dodge and they suck balls. Big, hairy, pimpled, goat balls. Horrible experience. That is all.

Generic
Thu Aug 22nd, 2013, 09:05 AM
Anyways, so the thread has gotten derailed a little bit lets bring it back:
1. It's for your wife, she has a specific request and AWD is the answer
2. She wants something nicer than a Subby interior
3. You don't want to be paying out the ass for maintenance and repairs

Get the BMW, with 4 years of included maintenance now it's fits everything she wants and shouldn't bankrupt you in the process.

AOK303
Thu Aug 22nd, 2013, 09:13 AM
Anyways, so the thread has gotten derailed a little bit lets bring it back:
1. It's for your wife, she has a specific request and AWD is the answer
2. She wants something nicer than a Subby interior
3. You don't want to be paying out the ass for maintenance and repairs

Get the BMW, with 4 years of included maintenance now it's fits everything she wants and shouldn't bankrupt you in the process.

and keeps value better then any other car mentioned!!!!

Zanatos
Thu Aug 22nd, 2013, 10:17 PM
I know your not looking at a Dodge but wanted to say I just bought a pick up from Cherry Creak Dodge and they suck balls. Big, hairy, pimpled, goat balls. Horrible experience. That is all.

Cherry Creek Dodge is the reason why I got my Acura. In 2003, I went to Cherry Creek Dodge to get the transmission fixed on my old Intrepid. They put a new brain box on it for $800+ and told me it was fixed. Two days later - no reverse gear. So I had it towed to Cherry Creek Dodge, and they told me they wanted another $2200 for a rebuilt transmission. That's when I went right next door to Mile High Acura, took a TL for a test drive, and ordered a TL-S the next day. The only Dodge I'm currently fond of is the Challenger - but I would never buy anything from Cherry Creek Dodge.

Chaos
Fri Aug 23rd, 2013, 12:01 AM
Ever consider an Evoque? 240hp, AWD, good MPG. No worry in the winter etc......http://blog.caranddriver.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/y108holq.jpg

AOK303
Fri Aug 23rd, 2013, 01:57 AM
Ever consider an Evoque? 240hp, AWD, good MPG. No worry in the winter etc......http://blog.caranddriver.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/y108holq.jpg

won alot of awards and won some woman's award too in 2012 lol but not alot of places work on them, so if you have issue leaves you to specialist or dealer

Chaos
Fri Aug 23rd, 2013, 01:30 PM
Not really. It basically has the Ford ecoboost 2.0 4cyl. Shares alot of parks with Volvo/Fomoco. The older vehicles, pre 2005 are the ones a lot of shops don't like to touch.

BTW, I'm a 13 year Land Rover tech. They are pretty cool and fun cars. Just thought since he's saying it's primarily for his wife I'd throw it out there. :)

asp_125
Fri Aug 23rd, 2013, 01:47 PM
MMmmmm.. purdy. Though a 4 cylinder? I thought it would at least have a V6

Chaos
Fri Aug 23rd, 2013, 01:58 PM
Turbo'd 4cyl. It get's good mileage (28hwy) and has plenty of pick up.

mdub
Fri Aug 23rd, 2013, 02:35 PM

it does resemble the ford edge a bit..pure fugly to me...

usmcab35
Fri Aug 23rd, 2013, 03:44 PM
Ford Raptor SVT:dunno:

laspariahs
Wed Sep 4th, 2013, 07:32 PM
Cadillac ATS by far for me. Magnetic ride suspension, 3.6 AWD.... The interior is far above a BMW I think. I don't think the Ford Taurus is in the same league. I own a fusion.

I wouldn't buy a BMW, especially with the N54 motor. With all the lawsuits on their mini, and BMW cars, I wouldn't really trust the brand either. Honestly the only issue I see with the ATS is it will probably not hold it's value as well as the BMW, however you seem to keep cars for a while, 10 years on your acura, so I don't think that's a killer at all.

As for the Mazda 6, it's a nice car, but again not in the same league as the caddy. You can probably get a way better deal on the caddy than the BMW as well.

derekm
Wed Sep 4th, 2013, 11:45 PM
SHO 'nuff

#1Townie
Tue May 19th, 2015, 10:41 PM
Nope