PDA

View Full Version : How to protect us from car drivers

longrider
Sat Aug 31st, 2013, 05:03 PM
Very interesting bit of technology Honda is working on, specifically targeted to protecting motorcyclists and pedestrians:

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100996600

Aaron
Mon Sep 2nd, 2013, 12:59 PM
I firmly believe in time, maybe 50 years, we will eliminate all traffic accidents. People will be able to crank the steering wheel at a tree while doing 100mph, and the car will slow, limit the steering input, etc to avoid the tree.

Zanatos
Mon Sep 2nd, 2013, 04:22 PM
My "high-tech" solutions to spot obstacles and avoid accidents are:1. Scanning ahead as far as possible.2. Staying out of people's blind spots and checking my own blind spots frequently.3. Staying away from trucks.4. Wearing high-visibility colors.5. Slowing down in traffic and covering the brake/clutch.6. Always having an escape route.7. Always wearing a complete set of gear.8. Keeping my bike properly maintained.9. Only riding when I am rested and feeling good.10. Not riding to the limits of my skill on public roads. 11. Practicing panic braking and swerving in a parking lot at the beginning of each riding season.12. Always expecting other people to drive like idiots.

06xbss
Tue Sep 3rd, 2013, 10:46 PM
Interesting idea... If they really want to reduce car accidents they just need to turn all cars into dead zones while they are in motion. In my opinion, not being able to use your phone while driving would have a bigger effect on reducing accidents.

I`m Batman
Wed Sep 4th, 2013, 08:41 AM
I firmly believe in time, maybe 50 years, we will eliminate all traffic accidents. People will be able to crank the steering wheel at a tree while doing 100mph, and the car will slow, limit the steering input, etc to avoid the tree.

But then you'll have those people that still want to drive their classic cars without the new future tech that will cause all the accidents. :p

longrider
Wed Sep 4th, 2013, 09:30 AM
Interesting idea... If they really want to reduce car accidents they just need to turn all cars into dead zones while they are in motion. In my opinion, not being able to use your phone while driving would have a bigger effect on reducing accidents.

Great idea but it will never happen. If one manufacturer did it they would be committing suicide as sales would drop 70 -80% If it was universal it would do the same thing to the whole industry for a few years as most people would put off buying a new car as long as they could.

jbnwc
Wed Sep 4th, 2013, 01:17 PM
Great idea but it will never happen. If one manufacturer did it they would be committing suicide as sales would drop 70 -80% If it was universal it would do the same thing to the whole industry for a few years as most people would put off buying a new car as long as they could.

I agree. Also, I have a Nav. system that basically goes dead when the car is in motion, so even a passenger can't use it. It's infuriating and I will never ever spend a penny on another nav system that doesn't work while in motion.

06xbss
Wed Sep 4th, 2013, 04:34 PM

I know it will never happen........ I would like to at least see them installed in a vehicle when someone is faulted for an accident while using their phone, kinda like the breathalyzers you get for a DUI. Slim chance, but it might get people to pay a little more attention.

rforsythe
Thu Sep 5th, 2013, 08:55 PM
I agree. Also, I have a Nav. system that basically goes dead when the car is in motion, so even a passenger can't use it. It's infuriating and I will never ever spend a penny on another nav system that doesn't work while in motion.

My truck does that too. There are ways around said annoyances, never fear.

I know it will never happen........ I would like to at least see them installed in a vehicle when someone is faulted for an accident while using their phone, kinda like the breathalyzers you get for a DUI. Slim chance, but it might get people to pay a little more attention.

Except it's easier to wire directly into a car. It's far more difficult to interfere with a wireless device's signal without affecting everything else around you. Plus what happens when someone can't dial 911 in an emergency because their court-issued phone blocker locked them out? Lawsuit city.

asp_125
Fri Sep 6th, 2013, 08:24 AM
Needs work, so the Honda system detects the presence of a special chip in it's "Wi-fi" zone. What if everyone has that chip.. then you're back to square one with multiple signals all around. If cars had all the technology to drive themselves, might as well turn them into buses or people mover pods.

jbnwc
Mon Sep 16th, 2013, 03:33 PM
My truck does that too. There are ways around said annoyances, never fear.

Do tell!

Aaron
Mon Sep 16th, 2013, 05:53 PM
It's called jailbreaking or lock-picking the nav system. Typically $100-$500. www.lmgtfy.com