PDA

View Full Version : newbie question...

Kelly
Mon Oct 13th, 2003, 10:24 AM
i am looking into buying a sport bike..
i was wondering what is considered high milage on a bike.. ( i own 2 honda and they will run forever but ive seen people call a bike with 15k old?)

what is the average miles per year?
how long will most last?

if there is anything else you think would help please feel free to add it too..

thanks for your help..

kelly

Hoopty
Mon Oct 13th, 2003, 10:51 AM
I don't know that there's a good average per year, not like cars. I put on over 20,000 miles in my first year on the SV650. There are ton's of people that only 1000/year though. ( :loser: ) I've been told that bikes lose a bit of value when they go over 20,000 miles, but who knows. There are plenty of bikes that last over 100,000 miles, but then again some bikes are destroyed in 5,000 miles. It really just depends on the bike and rider.

Kelly
Mon Oct 13th, 2003, 11:01 AM
so i depends on how it was rode?
what if it was ridin hard and all the right maint. was done?

how a bout this? how many miles on everyones bike on here? please include year/make/model.

thanks again

yakuza
Mon Oct 13th, 2003, 11:03 AM
It really depends. I rode an old '72 CB 750 for a while that had 53,000 miles. :shock: Of course it was a Honda... :) I think you'll be able to tell a lot more about the bike by observing its mechanical condition rather than looking at an odometer, especially since it's so easy to buy a used odometer off Ebay.

Hoopty
Mon Oct 13th, 2003, 11:08 AM
2001 SV650S- 25,000+ miles, I dunno as the speedometer stopped working a long time ago. :dunno: :lol:
1996 CBR 600F3- 8,500 miles

Anonymous
Mon Oct 13th, 2003, 11:17 AM
Hi Kelly and welcome to the group!

Bike condition is highly subjective, as people have said. Some bikes are just bad news in general (i.e. mid-90's GSXR 600's, katanas) but overall if the person took good care of it, it's probably ok.

I have a 99 superchicken (VTR1000F), 11600+ miles, runs great except for a minor transmission problem that I probably brought on myself. I keep up with all maintenence, etc and ride it pretty hard.

Had an F3 before that with 19k on the clock that ran great as well. Sold it at the time because I wanted more power and wasn't into the track yet.

What kind of bike(s) are you looking at?

Ripper
Mon Oct 13th, 2003, 11:24 AM
Not true, I saw a Goldwing with just over 300,000 miles on it.

It's a commom misconception though. The average motorclcye owner rides between only 1500 to 3500 miles a year, thay's why you see older bikes with such low milage.

If you maintain you bike it will last longer than most people keep them.

Good luck!!!

Anonymous
Mon Oct 13th, 2003, 11:29 AM
Not true, I saw a Goldwing with just over 300,000 miles on it.

A lazy-boy, er I mean Goldwing, is not a sportbike.... ;) They are designed to be ridden all day, every day, until the end of the world.

You will not see a sportbike with 300k on it, but then again - you don't typically tour on a sportbike either. However I've seen bikes like ours with 100k, so it is possible. (I know of several superhawks approaching that mark actually, they pretty much just don't die - but that's a Honda for you.)

Quick636
Mon Oct 13th, 2003, 11:30 AM
lol... I bought my bike in august with 4 miles on it, now it has over 2500! :o

Hoopty
Mon Oct 13th, 2003, 11:40 AM
Ralph, there was an article a few years back in one of my magazines that had a CBR 900RR with over 200,000 miles on it. :P

Nick_Ninja
Mon Oct 13th, 2003, 11:45 AM
I had a '93 ZX-11 that I sold last year for $4K. It had all the service documentation and 67,000 miles on the odometer. Someone got a good bike for less than typical payments. :D

CSUAdam
Mon Oct 13th, 2003, 12:53 PM
I'll put in a good point for Yamaha, one of the mags had an article about an R1 with over 100k. Only thing that went wrong with it was a crack in the subframe which was replaced because the bike was still under warranty.

Quick636
Mon Oct 13th, 2003, 01:02 PM
I don't think anyone buys a sportbike as an investment...

As said above, mechanical condition and maintenaince are far more important than mileage. Ive seen bikes with what seemed like high miles that ran and looked great. Ive also seen brand new bikes that I wouldn't pay 10 bucks for...

Kelly
Mon Oct 13th, 2003, 01:58 PM
What kind of bike(s) are you looking at?

i was looking at a 600. i havent realy decided on a company yet ( from what ive read it is rider preference) i was think about a honda ( cuz i have 2 honda cars an i love em ) but i am open to any bike i can get a good deal on.. :D

If you maintain you bike it will last longer than most people keep them.

that was what i was lookin for.. i do all my own work on my cars ( i know its a differnet world btu i am eager to learn)

thanks for everyone help. me and my friend (brian <-- another newbie) are takin the next riding class in early nov. hopefully i wont make a fool outta myself..

thanks again..
kelly

Anonymous
Mon Oct 13th, 2003, 02:02 PM
A honda 600 would be a great first bike. Look at a 2000 F4 or 01 F4i, the power is about the same and they are both great-handling, predictable bikes. As for reliability - Honda's bikes are like their cars, if you maintain them, they will run forever. And if you're not afraid to get your hands greasy once in a while you'll be fine and save a lot of $$ as well.

This is also a good time of year to start looking - prices come down, people sell them off to upgrade/do something else, etc.

ccm84
Mon Oct 13th, 2003, 03:10 PM
I saw a report that the average sport bike lasts about 25k miles. But of course, with proper care you can make it last a lot more.

One good way for proper care is to wheelie a lot, if your front tire is always up in the air, you never will really have to replace it, will you? You may end up getting some new fairings every once and a while though :-)

Anyone see my friend Ryan go down the other night downtown? There were about 12 guys there and they got it on video. He pulled a 1 oclocker and turned sideways at the same time. He turned out ok, handlebars bent a bit, fiberglass bondoed the rest. He was on a red suzuki 600 bandit.

By the way, I am painting it black.

Kelly
Mon Oct 13th, 2003, 06:50 PM
A honda 600 would be a great first bike. Look at a 2000 F4 or 01 F4i, the power is about the same and they are both great-handling, predictable bikes. As for reliability - Honda's bikes are like their cars, if you maintain them, they will run forever. And if you're not afraid to get your hands greasy once in a while you'll be fine and save a lot of $$ as well.

This is also a good time of year to start looking - prices come down, people sell them off to upgrade/do something else, etc.

that kind the direction we (me and brian) are heading..
im a honda guy and hes still unsure...

ccm84- thank you .. 25k at 3500 miles a year (average) is about 7 yrs. by that time you will either be buying a new one or have sold the orignal one and got outta riding? (which i dont see happening)

damn.. you guys are good...what about this one??

what are the differences between the f4 and f4i?
if you had to pick from a 2000 gsxr/r6/yzf6r/f4 what would you pick?
what about between 2001 gsxr/r6/yzf6r/f4i... and which outta the main 2 ?

thanks for everyones help.. i wanna learn as much as possible before i go out a buy one..
kelly

UglyDogRacing
Mon Oct 13th, 2003, 06:57 PM
Just don't buy anything that Hoopty has ridden. :lol:

UglyDogRacing
Mon Oct 13th, 2003, 07:00 PM

Anonymous
Mon Oct 13th, 2003, 07:01 PM

F4 and F4i: Fuel injection obviously. Power is about the same as well as handling. F4i is a bit more aggressive ergonomically and the seat is an ass-killer for long rides. Otherwise looks are different, new gauges and controls, I think that's it.

For a 2000: F4
For an 01: They completely redesigned the GSXR600 and R6 that year, for a racebike I'd go with that or the R6 (and actually get my 01 Gix 6 on wed to race next year), but of course you're not racing. For street, F4i or the YZF6R, or for a little more performance the R6.

Anonymous
Mon Oct 13th, 2003, 07:03 PM

:lol:

Kelly
Mon Oct 13th, 2003, 07:53 PM

F4 and F4i: Fuel injection obviously. Power is about the same as well as handling. F4i is a bit more aggressive ergonomically and the seat is an ass-killer for long rides. Otherwise looks are different, new gauges and controls, I think that's it.

For a 2000: F4
For an 01: They completely redesigned the GSXR600 and R6 that year, for a racebike I'd go with that or the R6 (and actually get my 01 Gix 6 on wed to race next year), but of course you're not racing. For street, F4i or the YZF6R, or for a little more performance the R6.

thanks!! anyone else?

and as long as hoopty has that avatar ..i wont buy anything he rode.. :P

Hoopty
Tue Oct 14th, 2003, 01:45 PM
2000- R6 or F4, whatever you like better.
2001 R6, GSXR or F4i, whatever you like better. :P The F4i's are pretty comfy minus the seat, GSXR has a racier position, but the seat beats the hell outta the F4i's. I don't know all that much about the R6's, except that they are pretty fast. In 01 the GSXR was the lightest and made the most HP, if that matters to you. Also, the 01 GSXR is the only one that comes with a steering damper.

As for buying a bike from me- that ain't MY bike in the avatar! :D

Anonymous
Tue Oct 14th, 2003, 01:57 PM
As for buying a bike from me- that ain't MY bike in the avatar! :D

Yeah cause yours don't run anymore! :lol:

RSVR4aCowboy
Tue Oct 14th, 2003, 02:13 PM
Welcome Kelly!
2000 Aprilia Mille with 16,500 trouble free miles... except for the chain and sprocket I destroyed two weeks ago at SCR :cry: There are some other Aprilia owners with close to 50K that are still running problem free. As said before, maintenance is key. I use synthetic oil and change it at 2500 miles. Might lower that number as it is seeing more track time than street.

I bought mine in June of last year and it had 2500 miles. I've put 14000 since... mostly canyon and track time. :D That's about a 1000 a month average for me. More in the summer and less in the winter. I don't winterize my bike as I try to get out on the days above 30 degrees :D

Hoopty
Tue Oct 14th, 2003, 02:14 PM
Actually, it does! :doublefinger: :P

Dysco
Tue Oct 14th, 2003, 09:18 PM
My Beemer F650GS isn't so much of a sportbike but I ride it at max RPMS pretty much everywhere. Went 22K trouble-free miles before developing a wicked oil leak last week. Looks like I'll be putting around on my 350 while BMW Denver takes their sweet time with it...

It's all about who rode the bike for whatever mileage it has- some kill 'em, others baby them.

FZRguy
Sun Oct 19th, 2003, 11:24 PM
Got 23k on my 1998 FZR 600. Still looks and runs like the day it was new. Not as fast as the new 600s, but makes a great fist bike. Pretty much the exact same design 1989-99.

ccm84
Mon Oct 20th, 2003, 04:15 AM
I have ridden a ton of dirt bike models and makes, but my first street bike is a gsxr 750, I can't complain about it a bit :-) I am going to pick up a new bike this summer and do as gsxrcop told me to do with my old one and "run it into a wall" just to see what happens. Should make a fun wrecking/wheeling bike.

GixxStunna
Mon Oct 20th, 2003, 05:07 AM
That a boy Chase if you wanna learn how to stunt thats a perfect bike to do it on now. I believe I said "If that was my bike, I would run it into a wall just for fun". :lol: If it will look cool I will try it. As for the new bike Kelly buy SUZUKI. I like every other kind of bike besides Harleys and those other pieces of crap called a HONDA. I had a CBR 900rr it was a wheelie machine but everything else on that bike was just crap. Good Luck!

ccm84
Mon Oct 20th, 2003, 10:58 AM
Last time I was downtown everyone was making fun of a kid for riding a honda 959 or similar, cant remember exactly. Don't know why, it was in good condition. But ya know, when your on a suzuki, you cant really help.

Kelly
Tue Oct 21st, 2003, 08:41 AM
it kinda sounds like the car tuning crowd.. we (honda owners) bag on everyone else without a honda, and vice versa.
is there anywhere (website) that has an objective comparison on alot of the new bikes? i expect everyone to root for the bike they ride but is there any concrete evidence that one company is better then the other?

if not im stickin with honda :P

ccm84
Tue Oct 21st, 2003, 11:41 AM
There is a lot of concrete evidence that suzukis rule :-) ask anyone who owns one!

GixxStunna
Wed Oct 22nd, 2003, 05:23 AM
Suzuki has the most props since the GIXX came out, now that's good evidence. If I owned a Honda Car, I would throw a loud muffler on it like all the ricers do and then drive it straight into a wall while it was on fire. DAMNIT HONDA EVERYTHING SUCKS! :x

Anonymous
Wed Oct 22nd, 2003, 11:35 AM
Suzuki has the most props since the GIXX came out, now that's good evidence. If I owned a Honda Car, I would throw a loud muffler on it like all the ricers do and then drive it straight into a wall while it was on fire. DAMNIT HONDA EVERYTHING SUCKS! :x

I'm just wondering if you have any basis for this opinion other than others' propaganda? :? (Just curious actually.)

ccm84
Wed Oct 22nd, 2003, 02:59 PM
I hate honda cars mostly becuase of the whole honda fever thing, but there is quite a few other reasons:

The Japs always seemed to think their high tech vtec engines will outrun a anything from a well displaced Ferrari v12 to a beat-down 1985 v6 bronco 2, we know that wont happen.

My head shouldn't be able to fit inside the exhaust on a car.

Why does someone with a Honda hatchback really think that stickers will make them faster.

-Chase-
P.S. I really dont care how cool their b16 engine is that puts out an amazing 160 hp, it still is a very crappy i4. I don't hate i4s, I have a car with one. But if your going to upgrade, go to soemthing good.

yakuza
Wed Oct 22nd, 2003, 03:48 PM
I hate honda cars mostly becuase of the whole honda fever thing, but there is quite a few other reasons:

The Japs always seemed to think their high tech vtec engines will outrun a anything from a well displaced Ferrari v12 to a beat-down 1985 v6 bronco 2, we know that wont happen.

Why does someone with a Honda hatchback really think that stickers will make them faster.

-Chase-
P.S. I really dont care how cool their b16 engine is that puts out an amazing 160 hp, it still is a very crappy i4. I don't hate i4s, I have a car with one. But if your going to upgrade, go to soemthing good.

You're making generalizations here, confusing "Japs" with "rice car" drivers.

As for Ralphs question, take a look at that picture of TC's motor, ask Hoopty about his SV motor, read RRW about the AOD's Suzuki motors dropping valves, etc. I'll take a reliable Honda with a couple less horsepower anyday.

My 2 cents. :)

Devil954
Wed Oct 22nd, 2003, 05:30 PM
Hey Alex Im with you on that one the only reason I bought my honda is the long standing track record of reliable motors they build I am partial to kawasaki's but I wanted something that would not break down I sat the spec sheets for all the 1000's in front of me and gave up the cc's and horsepower for reliability . so what I guess Im trying too say is :321: buy a honda :lol: :lol: :lol:

Player 2
Wed Oct 22nd, 2003, 05:38 PM

-Chase-

As for Ralphs question, take a look at that picture of TC's motor, ask Hoopty about his SV motor, read RRW about the AOD's Suzuki motors dropping valves, etc. I'll take a reliable Honda with a couple less horsepower anyday.

Man, although I ride a Yammi, I'd take a Honda made car (Honda or Acura) over ANY US made vehicle...

How can you generalize an entire brand of cars because of the dumb things kids do to them??

Kelly
Wed Oct 22nd, 2003, 06:12 PM

-Chase-

Man, although I ride a Yammi, I'd take a Honda made car (Honda or Acura) over ANY US made vehicle...

How can you generalize an entire brand of cars because of the dumb things kids do to them??

i agree.
i drive/own 2 honda cars one is has nitrous and the other is being built for turbo..
not every honda owner is rice... :321:

i do think honda builds a more reliable engine then most this is why i want to buy one

Hozerking
Wed Oct 22nd, 2003, 07:51 PM

-Chase-

i agree.
i drive/own 2 honda cars one is has nitrous and the other is being built for turbo..
not every honda owner is rice... :321:

i do think honda builds a more reliable engine then most this is why i want to buy one

to add if toyota built a bike I would definitly consider it! part of the definition of good is how well soemthign lasts! and toyota's and hondas last.

-al

Kelly
Thu Oct 23rd, 2003, 11:46 AM
totally agree ^^^^^^^

i would even venture to say that toyota engines are more robust then hondas.. and really close in realiablity..
but i like the honda stylin out of all the bikes

ccm84
Thu Oct 23rd, 2003, 02:49 PM
Why spend $10k on a car and put $20k into it so its a 11 sec car when you can pickup something like a z28SS for $15k and put $10k into it and make it a 10 second car.

Player 2
Thu Oct 23rd, 2003, 03:21 PM
Why spend $10k on a car and put $20k into it so its a 11 sec car when you can pickup something like a z28SS for $15k and put $10k into it and make it a 10 second car.
Because it all depends on what you personally like... making a crappy I4 haul major ass takes a lot of work but in the end you probably have a lot more satisfaction than the guy that threw a Supercharger on his Camaro and thinks he's hot shit

Hoopty
Thu Oct 23rd, 2003, 03:45 PM
Some people like TECHNOLOGY, not just big motors and a SC. :P Alot of people are into having sleepers too, kind of hard to have a sleeper SS. Gas milage is also a bonus on I4's, at least when it's not breathing fire. :shock:

Player 2
Thu Oct 23rd, 2003, 04:22 PM
Some people like TECHNOLOGY, not just big motors and a SC. :P Alot of people are into having sleepers too, kind of hard to have a sleeper SS. Gas milage is also a bonus on I4's, at least when it's not breathing fire. :shock:
True dat!

Kelly
Thu Oct 23rd, 2003, 04:33 PM
Because it all depends on what you personally like... making a crappy I4 haul major ass takes a lot of work but in the end you probably have a lot more satisfaction than the guy that threw a Supercharger on his Camaro and thinks he's hot shit
i do it for a challenge, a v8 is supposed to be fast.. my accord is supposed to be for grocery gettin.

its all personal preference.. i dont ever hate on anyone thats fast.. no matter what they drive..
(theres even a guy in the springs with a turbo Dodge Omni :lol: )

Player 2
Thu Oct 23rd, 2003, 04:39 PM
i do it for a challenge, a v8 is supposed to be fast.. my accord is supposed to be for grocery gettin.

its all personal preference.. i dont ever hate on anyone thats fast.. no matter what they drive..
(theres even a guy in the springs with a turbo Dodge Omni :lol: )
I agree although it's hard not to hate on the ricers....

Kelly
Thu Oct 23rd, 2003, 07:13 PM
totally agre with that
bastards.. they give us a bad name :guns:

friscokidd
Thu Oct 23rd, 2003, 08:00 PM
lol... I bought my bike in august with 4 miles on it, now it has over 2500! :o

i brought my gixer750 up here in aug. w/ 1200 and now it has 4500. Befor that, i had a 02 zx9r and in 8 months put 9k on it. Have my R1 two weeks and theres 1150 on it. SO it all depends on the rider. As long as you keep up with the work, i would say miles dont matter, as long as it runs good :D

ccm84
Thu Oct 23rd, 2003, 09:47 PM
Want to see a fun sleeper? My pal has a supercharged Lincoln Mark VII, which stock comes with an oversized v8. After dumping 10k into it, its a hell of a machine. There is also a bud up here that has a supercharged Z06, thats not a sleeper, but its runnin fast :-)

I dont hate hondas, I hate groupies that think ricers are cool.

-Chase-

Devil954
Thu Oct 23rd, 2003, 09:55 PM
why buy a car at all they suck :lol: next topic