PDA

View Full Version : Open carrying in Colorado, Where to?

Grim2.0
Sat Sep 7th, 2013, 10:56 PM
Since a lot of you on here like/love your guns, and I am sure most of you have your CCW, for those who don't know in Colorado we have a very open availability to OPEN carry with the exception of Denver where it is illegal to open carry. What I have noticed is that I have never seen anyone exercise their right to open carry and I do not live in Denver. It's hard to say who exercises there CCW as I cannot see it, but one thing I have heard from most officers is they actually encourage open carry as it helps limit crime. I have been exercising my right to open carry more and more, so I will be compiling a list of businesses on here for those who are interested and may want to exercise their rights as well. None of these locations will be in Denver because as I stated it is illegal to open carry in Denver. These businesses do not have a no firearms sign posted on their door, nor have I had any issues with people making a big deal about it or panicking at the sight of a firearm.

if you have something to Add throw it up here and I will add it to the list, I'd like to keep this updated for those who genuinely want to open carry without the fear of being judged as if they were soe sort of vigilante out to shoot someone, which I believe is a key factor in why people don't exercise this right as the general public has developed this overwhelming fear of guns.

1. Almost every 7-11 in Parker has no issues.
2. The Alamo Brewery and movie theatre in Littleton off Sante Fe (keep in mind it is not illegal to carry into a facility that serves alcohol it is illegal to be under the influence of alcohol and carry)
3. King Soopers in Parker off Lincoln Ave
4. Walmart in Parker off Main Street
5. Walmart in Centennial off araphaoe road
6. Sonic drive in off Lincoln ave and Jordan road
7. Harbor freight tool in aurora off Alemeda ave
8. Wendy's in centennial off Arapaho and Potomac
9. Fuzzy's taco shop in Arvada
10. Jim n nicks barbecue at Southlands mall in Aurora
11. Enchanted Grounds off S. Colorado in Highlands

j0ker
Sat Sep 7th, 2013, 11:10 PM
Grim I have been seeing 5 or 6 different men open carrying around Longmont. Oddly enough, most of them were at King Supers. At first, for me, I was a little freaked cause one looked like he was 18. But I am all for it.

Grim2.0
Sat Sep 7th, 2013, 11:17 PM
Colorado state law is 18 or older can open carry, glad to hear people are doing it.

Wrider
Sat Sep 7th, 2013, 11:21 PM
I see it somewhat regularly here in the springs.

Half LLive
Sun Sep 8th, 2013, 09:01 AM
I open carry sometimes. Also if you see this soon, there is an Open Carry BBQ at Franktown Firearms in Franktown today.

Ezzzzy1
Sun Sep 8th, 2013, 09:11 AM
I'd like to keep this updated for those who genuinely want to open carry without the fear of being judged as if they were soe sort of vigilante out to shoot someone

Oh, you will get judged make no mistake about that.

Grim2.0
Sun Sep 8th, 2013, 10:36 AM
Oh, you will get judged make no mistake about that.

Yes but depending on where you are that judgment can be negative or positive, the purpose of this is to show where possible positive judgment is placed.

rforsythe
Sun Sep 8th, 2013, 11:17 AM
Saw a couple of guys from Centennial Gun Club carrying in the Wendy's near there off Arapahoe/Potomac. They got some looks from the crowd (I was just trying to figure out if they were popo, until I saw the shirt logos), but the only actual comments I heard were positive and/or inquisitive about the guy's holster, etc.

I think their general appearance as guys in polo shirts (i.e. professionals at something) went a long way. If you walk around looking like a scuzzbag while you're strapping, perceptions will change rapidly. It isn't just that you have a gun, it's how you look overall when you have it.

Grim2.0
Sun Sep 8th, 2013, 04:22 PM
Saw a couple of guys from Centennial Gun Club carrying in the Wendy's near there off Arapahoe/Potomac. They got some looks from the crowd (I was just trying to figure out if they were popo, until I saw the shirt logos), but the only actual comments I heard were positive and/or inquisitive about the guy's holster, etc.

I think their general appearance as guys in polo shirts (i.e. professionals at something) went a long way. If you walk around looking like a scuzzbag while you're strapping, perceptions will change rapidly. It isn't just that you have a gun, it's how you look overall when you have it.

I completely agree, the wife and I weren't sure if open carrying in a movie theatre was going to be a great idea for obviously reasons, but I was wearing a polo shirt and slacks, and it was in a nicer part of town. So by the time the movie was over and we were leaving we both agreed most people may have thought I was an off duty officer or something.

JKOL
Sun Sep 8th, 2013, 05:19 PM
I haven't open carried at Fuzzy's Taco Shop in Arvada, but I have seen others open carry with no issue.

Drama2
Sun Sep 8th, 2013, 05:37 PM
The entire town of Pueblo open carries. On their bikes, gas stations, even the little kids come walking around with their plastic guns.

Peanut_EOD
Sun Sep 8th, 2013, 10:18 PM
I see it quite often, various places.

#1Townie
Mon Sep 9th, 2013, 07:22 AM
Guns are bad mmmkay.

j0ker
Mon Sep 9th, 2013, 08:29 AM
Guns are bad mmmkay.

Just so you know, I hate your sig. Bring that woman back in the picture.

Grant H.
Mon Sep 9th, 2013, 10:25 AM
Be careful with movie theaters.

Most have signs up stating that they do not want guns on site.

Grim2.0
Mon Sep 9th, 2013, 10:59 AM
Be careful with movie theaters.

Most have signs up stating that they do not want guns on site.

That is the point of this thread, to notify those who want to know what places allow open carry, but yes you are supposed to check the door if there is a sticker or decal stating no firearms you must comply or you will be trespassing.

I imagine most theaters in aurora have this sign but i have not seen one yet in Parker, Centennial, or Littleton. the above list is just where either I have open carried, someone on here has, or someone on here has seen someone.

Grant H.
Mon Sep 9th, 2013, 11:28 AM
All AMC theaters have them posted.

They are usually some tiny little piece of crap that is not easily spotted.

However, legally, that counts as posted.

Grim2.0
Mon Sep 9th, 2013, 11:37 AM
All AMC theaters have them posted.

They are usually some tiny little piece of crap that is not easily spotted.

However, legally, that counts as posted.

Well that is when CCW comes in handy, those little stickers/decals do not justify as a law. You can LEGALLY CCW into a business that has that sticker unless by law:

(2) A permit issued pursuant to this part 2 does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun into a place where the carrying of firearms is prohibited by federal law. Page 18-senate bill 03-024(3) A permit issued pursuant to this part 2 does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun onto the real property, or into any improvements erected thereon, of a public elementary, middle, junior high, or high school; except that: (a) A permittee may have a handgun on the real property of the public school so long as the handgun remains in his or her vehicle and, if the permittee is not in the vehicle, the handgun is in a compartment within the vehicle and the vehicle is locked. (b) A permittee who is employed or retained by contract by a school district as a school security officer may carry a concealed handgun onto the real property, or into any improvement erected thereon, of a public elementary, middle, junior high, or high school while the permittee is on duty. (c) A permittee may carry a concealed handgun on undeveloped real property owned by a school district that is used for hunting or other shooting sports.
(4) A permit issued pursuant to this part 2 does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun into a public building at which: (a) Security personnel and electronic weapons screening devices are permanently in place at each entrance to the building; (b) Security personnel electronically screen each person who enters the building to determine whether the person is carrying a weapon of any kind; and (c) Security personnel require each person who is carrying a weapon of any kind to leave the weapon in possession of security personnel while the person is in the building.
(5) nothing in this part 2 shall be construed to limit, restrict, or prohibit in any manner the existing rights of a private property owner, private tenant, private employer, or private business entity.
(6) the provisions of this section apply to temporary emergency permits issued pursuant to section 18-12-209.

You can CCW into an AMC theater as long as none of those posted above apply, they can only tell you to leave if they see the firearm in which case it then becomes an open carry and you are trespassing at that point.

Generic
Mon Sep 9th, 2013, 12:10 PM
Enchanted Grounds off S. Colorado in Highlands allows OC. That's how I first met one of the guys in my gaming group, I noticed he was carrying a Springfield XD similar to my XDm

#1Townie
Mon Sep 9th, 2013, 01:47 PM

I do what I want.

Ezzzzy1
Mon Sep 9th, 2013, 01:49 PM
Can someone tell me the purpose of knowing where you can open carry? I am just having a hard time understanding. Like you have 5 places to go and you open carry 3 of them but leave it in the car the other two?

Im just thinking that choosing to protect yourself or others by carrying a gun is a 100% of the time kinda thing. Not a Monday at two spots that I go, then again on Wednesday to four places that I go.

Just curious because I have always wondered someones thought process.

Generic
Mon Sep 9th, 2013, 01:57 PM
Can someone tell me the purpose of knowing where you can open carry? I am just having a hard time understanding. Like you have 5 places to go and you open carry 3 of them but leave it in the car the other two?

Im just thinking that choosing to protect yourself or others by carrying a gun is a 100% of the time kinda thing. Not a Monday at two spots that I go, then again on Wednesday to four places that I go.

Plan your trip according to the business that support your ideals, giving them your money and don't patronize the ones that don't.

ghettodub
Mon Sep 9th, 2013, 02:10 PM
Plan your trip according to the business that support your ideals, giving them your money and don't patronize the ones that don't.

Yep, that's pretty similar to how I am. I really don't like to open carry, unless it's when I'm in a more rural area, in the mountains, etc. In the city, people get too weird, so I'd rather keep my business private and they don't need to know I'm carrying at all.

But, like the quote above, when I discover a place that doesn't allow carrying (open or CCW), they no longer receive my business. Buffalo Wild Wings is a good example of that. They will never see a penny of my money.

Grim2.0
Mon Sep 9th, 2013, 03:27 PM

Using what you just said as an example, if you were running errands, and had 5 places to go and the first three accept it but the last two don't it is inconvenient to find out once you get to the door you have to turn around go back to your car and place your firearm back in your vehicle. If you already know then you already know.

As well as others said: those who do not allow us to exercise our rights don't get my business so it is even more inconvenient to have to go somewhere else to accomplish said errand. Yes its a choice to think this way and act on it but it is my given right to do so. If I already know the business does not have an issue then i am good to go, if i already know they are not ok with it then i don't go there.

I don't carry usually during the week but i tend to quite often on the weekends. I have been approached by a few sheriffs thanking me and one or two people some with positive remarks some with negative remarks.

Ezzzzy1
Mon Sep 9th, 2013, 03:58 PM
So you guys dont do business with companies that would rather not have people walking around with guns on their hips? Even places that sell alcohol? Like Wild Wings?

TFOGGuys
Mon Sep 9th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Well that is when CCW comes in handy, those little stickers/decals do not justify as a law. You can LEGALLY CCW into a business that has that sticker unless by law:

You can CCW into an AMC theater as long as none of those posted above apply, they can only tell you to leave if they see the firearm in which case it then becomes an open carry and you are trespassing at that point.

Not quite correct. A business can ask you to leave at any time for any reason, as it's private property (unless their reason would violate EEOC discrimination standards). They do not need to see your weapon, nor do they have to state the reason for asking you to leave. If you choose to remain, you can be charged with Criminal Trespass in the 3rd degree. You are correct that signs posted by private entities carry no weight of law, nor can signs posted by governmental agencies restrict CCW beyond what is laid out in CRS 18-12-214, however they can restrict open carry in public buildings.

ETA:

I fully believe in and support the right to open carry, but I choose not to do so myself. If I am carrying for the purpose of defending my life and the lives of my family, I don't want the alert my potential attackers to my armed status and give up the tactical advantage that CCW affords. If they know that I am armed, it is likely that they will immediately escalate to potentially lethal violence, rather than simply taking my wallet/watch/phone and leaving me alone. As mentioned before, a firearm is the absolute last resort, used only to prevent the loss of life or prevent serious injury. Stuff can be replaced.

Grim2.0
Mon Sep 9th, 2013, 04:08 PM
So you guys dont do business with companies that would rather not have people walking around with guns on their hips? Even places that sell alcohol? Like Wild Wings?

You already know the answer, so what is the purpose of your question?

Alcohol has nothing to do with anything, The Alamo sells alcohol and nobody had an issue with me "having a gun at my hip" as you so eloquently put it. Jim n Nicks serves alcohol but nobody had an issue with it. In Colorado you are allowed to consume an alcoholic beverage while carrying you just cannot be intoxicated.

Generic
Mon Sep 9th, 2013, 04:09 PM

That's two different questions:
1. I choose to support companies that support my rights and the rights of others. So say, Chick-fil-a is out for their adamant opposition to equal marriage.
2. It's illegal to posses a firearm under the influence of alcohol or another drug. If you think at all you might have a drink, you don't carry.

Grim2.0
Mon Sep 9th, 2013, 04:10 PM
Not quite correct. A business can ask you to leave at any time for any reason, as it's private property (unless their reason would violate EEOC discrimination standards). They do not need to see your weapon, nor do they have to state the reason for asking you to leave. If you choose to remain, you can be charged with Criminal Trespass in the 3rd degree. You are correct that signs posted by private entities carry no weight of law, nor can signs posted by governmental agencies restrict CCW beyond what is laid out in CRS 18-12-214, however they can restrict open carry in public buildings.

Yes you are right but if they do not see it then there is no reason for them to do so (or so we would think). Thanks for the clarification though it is important.

Ezzzzy1
Mon Sep 9th, 2013, 04:10 PM
Using what you just said as an example, if you were running errands, and had 5 places to go and the first three accept it but the last two don't it is inconvenient to find out once you get to the door you have to turn around go back to your car and place your firearm back in your vehicle. If you already know then you already know.

As well as others said: those who do not allow us to exercise our rights don't get my business so it is even more inconvenient to have to go somewhere else to accomplish said errand. Yes its a choice to think this way and act on it but it is my given right to do so. If I already know the business does not have an issue then i am good to go, if i already know they are not ok with it then i don't go there.

I don't carry usually during the week but i tend to quite often on the weekends. I have been approached by a few sheriffs thanking me and one or two people some with positive remarks some with negative remarks.

Ok, I get the reason for the list but are you saying that some days you are going to carry it and others you are not going to? That just doesnt make sense to me. Its like you are commited to carrying it, so much that you wont do business with companies that would rather you not open carry in their establishments but then the next day just dont feel like carrying.

I guess I have just always felt that people that open carry in the city are just looking for either attention or drama while stating that they are exercising their rights.

Ezzzzy1
Mon Sep 9th, 2013, 04:26 PM
You already know the answer, so what is the purpose of your question?

Alcohol has nothing to do with anything, The Alamo sells alcohol and nobody had an issue with me "having a gun at my hip" as you so eloquently put it. Jim n Nicks serves alcohol but nobody had an issue with it. In Colorado you are allowed to consume an alcoholic beverage while carrying you just cannot be intoxicated.

I only asked Grim 2.0 because logic may allow you to understand that a place that sells alcohol should be given a little more leniency given that most people do not like to mix the two, especially sports bar type places. Say half the room has people that have guns and the other half is drunk, make any sense? You could even take it further and say that "family" type places would maybe feel its better to ask people to leave them in their car.

And since its one of your rights, how about you go drink a beer while open carrying... That should be fun.

And also, I believe the correct wording on the law is "under the influence of alcohol or drugs". Dont quote me on that one but "under the influence" may get a little blurry to the cops if you only had one beer 30 minutes ago. I would guess that drinking a beer may fall under the definition of under the influence since there would be a provable amount of alcohol in your system.

GMR
Mon Sep 9th, 2013, 04:27 PM

I've been pushing for months to get Townie banned, to no avail. What a hack

Grim2.0
Mon Sep 9th, 2013, 04:34 PM
Ok, I get the reason for the list but are you saying that some days you are going to carry it and others you are not going to? That just doesnt make sense to me. Its like you are commited to carrying it, so much that you wont do business with companies that would rather you not open carry in their establishments but then the next day just dont feel like carrying.

I guess I have just always felt that people that open carry in the city are just looking for either attention or drama while stating that they are exercising their rights.

I fully see where you are coming from and you are right there are people who do it for the "badassery look" if you will. I cant speak for those people but I know a few of them, I also have my CCW so i can choose to practice either one. The reason i open carry is because sometimes it gives those around you a sense of security as well as it gives it to myself, my wife and someday my daughter (when she comprehends it). It is also so for those places i visit regularly are used to seeing me and most know i am almost always carrying whether they can see it or not. As a sheriff told me once: "thank you for exercising your rights, because of people like you who open carry whether you know it or not it helps limit crime, someone may have been planning something until they saw you". There is no way to predict what could or could not happen but his statement put a smile on my face and he could be right. Human nature is you see a gun and ---- i know this is a person by person basis but it hold true. Like i said before i have gotten a few positive remarks which engage in a friendly conversation, and who doesn't like that unless you name is Townie?? :lol:

I don't carry during the week because i literally go to work then go home and my massive 3 mile commute is not very "threat" worthy in my mind. I have other means of defense at my office should i need them.

j0ker
Mon Sep 9th, 2013, 04:35 PM

ETA:

I fully believe in and support the right to open carry, but I choose not to do so myself. If I am carrying for the purpose of defending my life and the lives of my family, I don't want the alert my potential attackers to my armed status and give up the tactical advantage that CCW affords. If they know that I am armed, it is likely that they will immediately escalate to potentially lethal violence, rather than simply taking my wallet/watch/phone and leaving me alone. As mentioned before, a firearm is the absolute last resort, used only to prevent the loss of life or prevent serious injury. Stuff can be replaced.

Jim I thought you were open carry when I brought my bike in. Maybe not, I am getting old. I sort of disagree with you about open carry warning someone in to instant escalation. I think it REALLY makes someone do a double check when they see the open carry. Seeing that weapon is a huge deterrent IMO. Sounds like you have put a lot of thought into it though.

Grim2.0
Mon Sep 9th, 2013, 04:41 PM
I only asked Grim 2.0 because logic may allow you to understand that a place that sells alcohol should be given a little more leniency given that most people do not like to mix the two, especially sports bar type places. Say half the room has people that have guns and the other half is drunk, make any sense? You could even take it further and say that "family" type places would maybe feel its better to ask people to leave them in their car.

And since its one of your rights, how about you go drink a beer while open carrying... That should be fun.

Why should leniency be given? if people cannot be adults and manage to be responsible enough to know what their limit is while drinking to make responsible decisions then maybe they should not drink? Now we both know that is a ridiculous thing to try and regulate so we wont get into that, but If i am open carrying it sure as hell wont be in a busy bar because you are right you don't know what is going through the mind of a drunk idiot and it may not be the best of scenarios. The places I have been and will go are more family oriented that serve alcohol so its a good medium, i wont be open carrying in a toys R us as yes that may make parents uneasy or uncomfortable. My list is that of places where its more appropriate, i am not going out on a limb here going to day cares or overcrowded bars i am just posting those everyday places that some may find themselves wondering if it accepted or not.

Good points though!

BushyAR15
Mon Sep 9th, 2013, 04:50 PM
Can you cite the law or reference it stating "open carry" is against the law in the City of Denver? I'm curious as this is the first I've heard that open carry is illegal in Denver proper. What I understood is that IF you open carry (legal firearm, not one thats banned in Denver proper) AND someone calls the police on you because of you open carrying the police will cite you for "disturbing the peace" or something like that... You won't be cited for "open carry".... Now I'm not advocating doing this nor do I know this for fact... This is what I've heard from various NON-legal types but avid gun owners.

Ezzzzy1
Mon Sep 9th, 2013, 04:53 PM
I fully see where you are coming from and you are right there are people who do it for the "badassery look" if you will. I cant speak for those people but I know a few of them, I also have my CCW so i can choose to practice either one. The reason i open carry is because sometimes it gives those around you a sense of security as well as it gives it to myself, my wife and someday my daughter (when she comprehends it). It is also so for those places i visit regularly are used to seeing me and most know i am almost always carrying whether they can see it or not. As a sheriff told me once: "thank you for exercising your rights, because of people like you who open carry whether you know it or not it helps limit crime, someone may have been planning something until they saw you". There is no way to predict what could or could not happen but his statement put a smile on my face and he could be right. Human nature is you see a gun and ---- i know this is a person by person basis but it hold true. Like i said before i have gotten a few positive remarks which engage in a friendly conversation, and who doesn't like that unless you name is Townie?? :lol:

I don't carry during the week because i literally go to work then go home and my massive 3 mile commute is not very "threat" worthy in my mind. I have other means of defense at my office should i need them.

Well... Hmm... Just dont forget how many people it makes feel uncomfortable. Matter of fact, I have never felt safer when someone has a visible gun but thats just me.

I guess I am just scratching my head at the decision between CCW and open carry. I dont know another single person that would rather open carry in the city vs. concealed.

Play on playa!

Grim2.0
Mon Sep 9th, 2013, 04:57 PM
Can you cite the law or reference it stating "open carry" is against the law in the City of Denver? I'm curious as this is the first I've heard that open carry is illegal in Denver proper. What I understood is that IF you open carry (legal firearm, not one thats banned in Denver proper) AND someone calls the police on you because of you open carrying the police will cite you for "disturbing the peace" or something like that... You won't be cited for "open carry".... Now I'm not advocating doing this nor do I know this for fact... This is what I've heard from various NON-legal types but avid gun owners.

You and me both actually but i read it here:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&sqi=2&ved=0CD4QFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.handgunlaw.us%2Fstates%2Fcolo rado.pdf&ei=vVEuUpSqI4rNrQHjp4HgCg&usg=AFQjCNEg2LRHB-s7toVcF0P_OUI8EsuR9Q&sig2=cUliW06DLN42TWlea46hEQ&bvm=bv.51773540,d.aWM

Grim2.0
Mon Sep 9th, 2013, 05:00 PM
Well... Hmm... Just dont forget how many people it makes feel uncomfortable. Matter of fact, I have never felt safer when someone has a visible gun but thats just me.

I guess I am just scratching my head at the decision between CCW and open carry. I dont know another single person that would rather open carry in the city vs. concealed.

Play on playa!

That's your way of thinking holmes, it is what it is, besides your definition of "city and my definition of "city" may not be the same. If it were legal to open carry in Denver and i were downtown i would not. to me that is city and i would not feel comfortable doing so.

BushyAR15
Mon Sep 9th, 2013, 05:45 PM
THANKS!!!!! Wow! very interesting... I had no idea. I've always heard that open carry is legal even in Los Angeles....

Ezzzzy1
Mon Sep 9th, 2013, 06:14 PM
That's your way of thinking holmes, it is what it is, besides your definition of "city and my definition of "city" may not be the same. If it were legal to open carry in Denver and i were downtown i would not. to me that is city and i would not feel comfortable doing so.

You should boycott Denver? :lol:

What about "Denver Metro Area"?. My point is that in the sticks its more of a way of life. The way someone may have been raised. In the suburbs its a whole different story.

I really cant believe that you would rather open carry over CCW.

Grim2.0
Mon Sep 9th, 2013, 06:20 PM
You should boycott Denver? :lol:

What about "Denver Metro Area"?. My point is that in the sticks its more of a way of life. The way someone may have been raised. In the suburbs its a whole different story.

I really cant believe that you would rather open carry over CCW.

different strokes for different folks. Why are you so against open carrying?

Ezzzzy1
Mon Sep 9th, 2013, 07:23 PM
different strokes for different folks. Why are you so against open carrying?

I think its a nuisance and an unnecessary act in the metro areas. ESPECIALLY when given the option to conceal. I just cant think of one single reason that someone would open vs conceal.

On top of that, and I know that you have been commended about your open carry, but even a month ago while in Colorado Springs two cops that were at the motorcycle rally made comments about a guy that was open carrying. They were in no way applause for doing it.

I say save yourself the possible grief and put it under your shirt. No list of places that you have to boycott, no unnecessary attention to you and your family, no one judging you blablabla.

Honestly "I want to" and "because I can" just arent good enough reasons for me. The only sort of understandable reason, and its a small sort of, is if you for some reason cant get a CCW but can carry and really have a direct reason (like the crips want to kill you).

guambra2001
Mon Sep 9th, 2013, 08:30 PM
Open carry seems to make people feel uncomfortable. I carry my duty weapon for my job everyday, and it is after all a military base, however you would not believe the complaints we get from people about them not feeling comfortable with us running around with M4/M9. It's a lot of political non-sense, I could only imagine how much attention open carrying would garner off base.

With that being said, I do have a CCW permit, and do carry concealed on some occasions. I fully support people who open carry, but personally feel a little more at ease with people that conceal carry because at a minimum you know they received SOME kind of training. But to each their own, exercise your rights if you mist but doing it responsibly is probably the best bet for our future rights as legal carrying citizens.

Grim2.0
Mon Sep 9th, 2013, 09:01 PM
I think its a nuisance and an unnecessary act in the metro areas. ESPECIALLY when given the option to conceal. I just cant think of one single reason that someone would open vs conceal.

On top of that, and I know that you have been commended about your open carry, but even a month ago while in Colorado Springs two cops that were at the motorcycle rally made comments about a guy that was open carrying. They were in no way applause for doing it.

I say save yourself the possible grief and put it under your shirt. No list of places that you have to boycott, no unnecessary attention to you and your family, no one judging you blablabla.

Honestly "I want to" and "because I can" just arent good enough reasons for me. The only sort of understandable reason, and its a small sort of, is if you for some reason cant get a CCW but can carry and really have a direct reason (like the crips want to kill you).

To me your reasons are not good enough for me to not exercise my right to open carry, and your opinions are just that. Agree to disagree but this thread in no way pertains to you or benefits you so thanks for the input but I will continue to carry on smartly.

#1Townie
Mon Sep 9th, 2013, 09:06 PM
He's just trolling bro.

Ezzzzy1
Mon Sep 9th, 2013, 09:56 PM
To me your reasons are not good enough for me to not exercise my right to open carry, and your opinions are just that. Agree to disagree but this thread in no way pertains to you or benefits you so thanks for the input but I will continue to carry on smartly.

And thats what makes this country bad ass. You can do whatever you want within the law. Down side, like guambra2001 said. You might be your own worst enemy because when more people start doing it and there is more noise because of it then they will tighten down and like Denver take it away. We are way minority when it come to being allowed to open carry (in comparison to the rest of the country).

Have fun open carrying with your CCW in your pocket :lol:

Grim2.0
Mon Sep 9th, 2013, 09:59 PM
And thats what makes this country bad ass. You can do whatever you want within the law. Down side, like guambra2001 said. You might be your own worst enemy because when more people start doing it and there is more noise because of it then they will tighten down and like Denver take it away. We are way minority when it come to being allowed to open carry (in comparison to the rest of the country).

Have fun open carrying with your CCW in your pocket :lol:

Still haven't learned what carry on means I see. It's ok maybe someday you will but as I said your "opinion" is yours and just that. You can continue to keep typing just know you are wasting your time.

Aaron
Mon Sep 9th, 2013, 10:14 PM
I prefer to conceal carry, however I open carry whenever I ride. I've found it deters road ragers from road raging on me. I'm all for a little road rage when I'm in my car, I've got a GoPro running, and I'd love the insurance payout if you hit me. God knows I won't be road ragin in my 22 year old 2.5l BMW.

But on a bike, all the GoPro does is show the rager driving over me. It doesn't keep me from burial.

Aaron
Mon Sep 9th, 2013, 10:18 PM
Oh ya, I open carried in Chic Fil A in C Springs today without any problem. The kid at the register actually talked guns to me. It's a good thing there was an unarmed security guard on his lunch break though, I felt so safe with his presence!

As far as the Denver discussion goes, City of Denver means within the Denver city limits. I have no idea how their law reads.

Ezzzzy1
Mon Sep 9th, 2013, 10:40 PM
Still haven't learned what carry on means I see. It's ok maybe someday you will but as I said your "opinion" is yours and just that. You can continue to keep typing just know you are wasting your time.

:lol: So 1.0 of you.

Aaron
Mon Sep 9th, 2013, 11:22 PM
That was very Grim1.0. Ban the asshat!

Sport_Toorer
Tue Sep 10th, 2013, 07:02 AM
There actually a website/forum dedicated to open carry in Co (http://opencarrycolorado.com/forums/index.php).

#1Townie
Tue Sep 10th, 2013, 07:28 AM
Ej being Mr cool again. Watch out grim he's the man. He might throw a garage door at ya.

Grim2.0
Tue Sep 10th, 2013, 07:58 AM
:lol: So 1.0 of you.

So is that what it is that turns you on about me, and keeps you coming back for more?

TFOGGuys
Tue Sep 10th, 2013, 08:00 AM
Jim I thought you were open carry when I brought my bike in. Maybe not, I am getting old. I sort of disagree with you about open carry warning someone in to instant escalation. I think it REALLY makes someone do a double check when they see the open carry. Seeing that weapon is a huge deterrent IMO. Sounds like you have put a lot of thought into it though.

I very rarely carry at work, and on those occasions it's almost always concealed, but it's possible. Usually, I don't bother to take my holster off, but I'll secure my weapon so it doesn't get damaged while I'm working in the shop(carb cleaner plays hell with polymer frames!)

Myers decision said that Denver (and only Denver) had the right to leave their Open Carry ban in place. Denver ordinance follows:

Sec. 38-117. Dangerous or deadly weapons—Prohibitions.http://library.municode.com/images/hyperlink.png
(a)
It shall be unlawful for any person, except a law enforcement officer in the performance of duty, to wear under their clothes, or concealed about their person any dangerous or deadly weapon, including, but not by way of limitation, any pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun, machine gun, air gun, gas operated gun, spring gun, sling shot, blackjack, nunchaku, brass knuckles or artificial knuckles of any substance whatsoever, or any switchblade knife, gravity knife, or any knife having a blade greater than three and one-half (3½) inches in length, or any explosive device, incendiary device or bomb, or other dangerous or deadly weapon.
(b)
It shall be unlawful for any person, except a law enforcement officer in the performance of duty, to carry, use or wear any dangerous or deadly weapon, including, but not by way of limitation, any pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun, machine gun, air gun, gas operated gun, spring gun, sling shot, blackjack, nunchaku, brass knuckles or artificial knuckles of any substance whatsoever, or switchblade knife, gravity knife, or any knife having a blade greater than three and one-half (3½) inches in length, or any explosive device, incendiary device or bomb, or any other dangerous or deadly weapon.
(c)
It shall be unlawful for any person, except a law enforcement officer in the performance of duty, to display in a threatening manner, or to flourish any dangerous or deadly weapon, including, but not by way of limitation, any pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun, machine gun, air gun, gas operated gun, spring gun, sling shot, blackjack, nunchaku, brass knuckles or artificial knuckles of any substance whatsoever, or any switchblade knife, gravity knife, or any knife having a blade greater than three and one-half (3½) inches in length, or any explosive device, incendiary device or bomb, or other dangerous or deadly weapon.
(d)
In addition to any other penalty imposed by lawful authority, every person convicted of any violation of this section may be required to forfeit to the city such dangerous or deadly weapon so concealed or displayed.
(e)
Nothing in this section shall be construed to forbid any peace officer as defined by law from carrying, wearing or using such weapons as shall be necessary in the proper discharge of the officer's duties.
(f)
It shall not be an offense under 38-117 (http://library.municode.com/HTML/10257/level4/TITIIREMUCO_CH38OFMIPR_ARTIVOFAGPUORSA_DIV2WEMI.ht ml#TITIIREMUCO_CH38OFMIPR_ARTIVOFAGPUORSA_DIV2WEMI _S38-117DADEWERO)(a) or 38-117 (http://library.municode.com/HTML/10257/level4/TITIIREMUCO_CH38OFMIPR_ARTIVOFAGPUORSA_DIV2WEMI.ht ml#TITIIREMUCO_CH38OFMIPR_ARTIVOFAGPUORSA_DIV2WEMI _S38-117DADEWERO)(b) if:
(1)
The person, at the time of carrying the concealed weapon, holds a valid written permit to carry a concealed weapon issued pursuant to section 18-12-105.1, C.R.S., prior to its repeal, or, if the weapon involved was a handgun, holds a valid permit or a temporary emergency permit to carry a concealed handgun issued pursuant to state law and is otherwise carrying the handgun in conformance with any applicable state or local law; or
(2)
The person is carrying the weapon concealed within a private automobile or other private means of conveyance, for hunting or for lawful protection of such person's or another person's person or property, while travelling, and the weapon is not an explosive device, incendiary device, or a bomb. If the weapon is a firearm being transported for hunting, it shall be unloaded while being carried within the private automobile or other private means of conveyance.
(g)
Any sentence imposed for violation of subsection (a) shall run consecutively and not concurrently with any sentence for any other offense, if the weapon involved was a pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun, machine gun, air gun, gas operated gun, spring gun, explosive device, or incendiary device or bomb.
(h)
Persons convicted of violating and persons pleading guilty or nolo contendere to violation of subsection (a) shall, in addition to any sentence of jail time, pay a fine of at least the following amount when the weapon involved was a pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun, machine gun, air gun, gas operated gun, spring gun, explosive device, or incendiary device or bomb:

First offense
$500.00

Second offense within 5 years

Third and subsequent offenses

dapper
Wed Sep 18th, 2013, 05:05 AM
Starbucks hired some p c writers.
Link (http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSBRE98H04N20130918?irpc=932)
Those with a permit, have legal authority.