PDA

View Full Version : Too lean? Dr-Z400SM

TransNone13
Thu Sep 19th, 2013, 04:25 PM
I'm thinking the pilot jet may be a possibility, or the needle. You can see the pipe is kinda bluing and there is some popping/chugging/stumbling at about 1/2 3/4 throttle held constant. I have a KN filter, 155 main jet, and full yoshi.

Thoughts?

http://i.imgur.com/ixjEg7Ll.jpg

TransNone13
Thu Sep 19th, 2013, 04:35 PM
The more I read the more I believe I may need to drop a spot in the needle. I'm going to go do that and see where I am.

The needle controls 1/4-3/4 throttle, jet is 1/2-wot, if you have an air mix screw it affects closed - 1/4.

If that's accurate, makes complete sense. I'm going to go down 1 (needle down) on the needle and go from there.

sloridr
Thu Sep 19th, 2013, 06:58 PM
My drz is jetted for here and it still pops. They don't like to be held in one spot. They love accel and decel. I do t remember the jetting I'm running. But mine is also built a little more.

TransNone13
Thu Sep 19th, 2013, 07:18 PM
My drz is jetted for here and it still pops. They don't like to be held in one spot. They love accel and decel. I do t remember the jetting I'm running. But mine is also built a little more.

Thanks for the input, it was more than just popping. But I went down one with the clip (needle up) trying to get a little more fuel. It was more than just popping, will keep testing tomorrow when the sun is out.

It would kind of surge. I don't mind experimenting, it's easy to work on and I'm learning.

big_sur
Thu Sep 19th, 2013, 08:29 PM
Depending on what exhaust you have, the bluing may be normal. I never got rid of the backfiring on mine after a bunch of tinkering so I may not be the best source of truth but I would just shoot for throttle response that makes you happy. There's a ton of jetting combos for different mods over on thumpertalk that might give you some options to try.

FZRguy
Thu Sep 19th, 2013, 11:56 PM
Did you get the high altitude jet kit? Bluing is normal. Popping could be not sealing good at exhaust flange/cyl head. Take a look at the spark plug…porcelain should be a nice tan color.

FZRguy
Fri Sep 20th, 2013, 12:01 AM
Also, you have the CV carb which is harder to tune than the FCR carb.

FZRguy
Fri Sep 20th, 2013, 12:10 AM
Take a look at common mods on the DRZ pages at TT. Air box mod, manual CCT, SSW throttle kit come to mind.

TransNone13
Fri Sep 20th, 2013, 06:23 AM
I've done the airbox, haven't done throttle yet, and I'm leary of doing the CCT right out the gate with a new bike.

Is it worth getting the FCR carb?

This guy right here?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DRZ400-DRZ-400-DR-Z400-39mm-FCR-Carb-Kit-Carburetors-/350390489841

Sounds like everyone loves the FCR carb conversion. Damnit, more shit to get sooner rather than later. lol

FZRguy
Sat Sep 21st, 2013, 01:16 AM
I'd try getting the CV carb sorted first. FCR carb is probably the most bolt-on performance gain for a stock Dizzer. You can always do it later.

TransNone13
Sat Sep 21st, 2013, 05:40 AM
I'd try getting the CV carb sorted first. FCR carb is probably the most bolt-on performance gain for a stock Dizzer. You can always do it later.

I raised the needle one spot and it feels much better. If that's the case, I'll give it a little time before upgrading :).

tarded400
Wed Sep 25th, 2013, 10:22 PM
FYI I did the big bore, FCR, MRD/SSW and almost wish I had left it stock for the price it cost me. If you're going to get a pipe or carb, get THE WHOLE THING. I didn't notice ANY difference until I got the BB. Of course I sold it about 10k miles later and bought an FJR and a WR. Best of both worlds. Like they said- search on thumpertalk.com. I'm sure I probably have my jetting posted up there somewhere.

big_sur
Wed Sep 25th, 2013, 11:14 PM
FYI I did the big bore, FCR, MRD/SSW and almost wish I had left it stock for the price it cost me. If you're going to get a pipe or carb, get THE WHOLE THING. I didn't notice ANY difference until I got the BB. Of course I sold it about 10k miles later and bought an FJR and a WR. Best of both worlds. Like they said- search on thumpertalk.com. I'm sure I probably have my jetting posted up there somewhere.

+1

I did the yosh 450 kit, fcr, etc. If you want it to be faster, just buy a KTM 690 or an SXV 550 and you will save yourself a lot of money and have a faster bike. DRZ's are a lot of fun but you'll be wasting money if you try to make it fast.

Bueller
Thu Sep 26th, 2013, 05:49 AM
+1

I did the yosh 450 kit, fcr, etc. If you want it to be faster, just buy a KTM 690 or an SXV 550 and you will save yourself a lot of money and have a faster bike. DRZ's are a lot of fun but you'll be wasting money if you try to make it fast.
The lesson that DRZ owners learn the hard way. You can tell them all you want but they never listen. DRZ's are great little bikes but the are what they are.