PDA

View Full Version : Anybody here with a CDL for their job?

GMR
Thu Sep 19th, 2013, 08:53 PM
I'm taking a new job, hopefully a step in the right direction. The problem is, one of the first things I'm doing with my job is getting my class A. Apparently my record right now isn't too bad as I brought up my driving record with my boss and since my license is still valid it doesn't sound like it's an issue now, BUT... consequences are much higher for tickets for a driver with a CDL whether it is on the clock in a work truck, or on their time off on a motorcycle. Can't have two separate licenses.

I've had my share of tickets this year--pretty much only have my license based on a technicality. I'll be doing a lot less cross country driving with my car, and I won't be inclined to speed in a work truck so it should really force me to behave a lot more. However, the whole issue about possibly losing my job to a speeding ticket on a MOTORCYCLE on my time off though, sucks!

Anybody else in this predicament?

I think my mission in life now should be to allow CDL drivers to also carry a standard drivers license. I get that a ticket you get is much more serious in a work truck than in your personal vehicle, but it seems wrong that any ticket you get outside of work carries so much weight.

/end rant

#1Townie
Thu Sep 19th, 2013, 10:12 PM
I've been driving commercially for about eight years now. I used to not care about tickets but after it became a choice between work and fucking around on the road work won. I just got my class a last year. Until then I didn't need it. Your bac is .04 for DUI and you can't read ANYTHJNG in a work truck/on duty. Also tickets become more expensive and costly to your license. Remember it doesn't matter what you drive you will be a professional driver. There is more expected of you. First thing in would do if I were you is buy some sort of cdl protection. Good luck on all the hoops at DMV and study that pretrip guide like its going out of style.

GMR
Thu Sep 19th, 2013, 10:55 PM
I've been driving commercially for about eight years now. I used to not care about tickets but after it became a choice between work and fucking around on the road work won. I just got my class a last year. Until then I didn't need it. Your bac is .04 for DUI and you can't read ANYTHJNG in a work truck/on duty. Also tickets become more expensive and costly to your license. Remember it doesn't matter what you drive you will be a professional driver. There is more expected of you. First thing in would do if I were you is buy some sort of cdl protection. Good luck on all the hoops at DMV and study that pretrip guide like its going out of style.

So do you pretty much stopped riding streetbikes? CDL protection would be lawyer fees for if I get speeding tickets?

This new job better be worth it. Maybe better job security, maybe better in the long run, but what a PIA with all these restrictions

Nolan
Thu Sep 19th, 2013, 11:05 PM
I pick and choose times to be fast in any vehicle. I've gotten out of tickets because of my cdl. Just because they don't want me to lose my job. It's a fine line to walk, but I try and keep things in the 20mph range. Don't EVER drink and drive. 1 beer equals 1 hour AFTER you finish. I've seen to many guys lose 6months for a couple beers after work.... and even the day after a bender.
Anyway, good luck. I never thought the pre-trip was bad.... It's when they changed the haz-mat testing that things got hard, I ended up letting it drop off but should spend the money to add it back. Take the doubles/triples exam and tanker just because they are pretty easy.
I really hate the fact that we have to visit the dmv every four years though. Totally wasted day.

GMR
Thu Sep 19th, 2013, 11:24 PM
I pick and choose times to be fast in any vehicle. I've gotten out of tickets because of my cdl. Just because they don't want me to lose my job. It's a fine line to walk, but I try and keep things in the 20mph range. Don't EVER drink and drive. 1 beer equals 1 hour AFTER you finish. I've seen to many guys lose 6months for a couple beers after work.... and even the day after a bender.
Anyway, good luck. I never thought the pre-trip was bad.... It's when they changed the haz-mat testing that things got hard, I ended up letting it drop off but should spend the money to add it back. Take the doubles/triples exam and tanker just because they are pretty easy.
I really hate the fact that we have to visit the dmv every four years though. Totally wasted day.

So a 20MPH or over ticket will lose your license? I read somewhere that you basically add on a 50% bonus for points on speeding tickets, sound about right? Last I knew, my OK license has 5 points on it (out of a total of 10 given in 12 months), so I don't think the point bonus would apply because that was with a standard license but I can't be far off from losing it when I get a CDL.

Nolan
Thu Sep 19th, 2013, 11:33 PM
20 is just my brain #. At 25 you're going to jail. I don't know the point system because I've kept a pretty clean record. Sounds like you might want to start riding the bus and Learn the track until you get the lead out of your right side. Driving a truck is no joke. 80,000lbs going down Floyd Hill will make your ass pucker. Or when the mommy wagon cuts you off on i25 and you're going a tad too fast when the highway turns into a parking lot.
Your points will drop off. Just slow down. Drive like grandma. If you can't then you better save a couple grand for a lawyer.

#1Townie
Fri Sep 20th, 2013, 06:13 AM
Yes cdl protection is lawyers. There are a couple different groups that offer country wide protection and even international. And yes I basically gave up streets. When you drive for a living its just not worth it. There are so many different reasons they can take a cdl from you its crazy. You will learn to drive slow because the trucks you drive are going to be slow. You just get used to it. And going down hill isn't bad just don't be in a hurry. I've done wolf creek pass and others around the country. Slow and easy.

DriverDave
Fri Sep 20th, 2013, 07:58 AM
I've had a class A CDL for 14 years. I've gotten a few speeding tickets in that time (including while working, driving a semi) and the points against my license were no different than a regular license. It's no different than any other license and any other job....you rack up too many points and lose it, you're fucked.

#1Townie
Fri Sep 20th, 2013, 08:13 AM
I've had a class A CDL for 14 years. I've gotten a few speeding tickets in that time (including while working, driving a semi) and the points against my license were no different than a regular license. It's no different than any other license and any other job....you rack up too many points and lose it, you're fucked.

Well kind of. Buut most jobs dont require you to have a clean DMV record. Tickets look really bad on a driving resume.

Rockerbabe88
Sat Sep 21st, 2013, 12:51 PM
I have my class B for driving school buses and they are picky about how many points I can get on my license (carrying kids and all). So yeah same advice, I just chill out on the street and rip it up on the track. I was close to not being insurable under the school district's insurance (got one ticket taken way down too so that I wouldn't lose my job right as I got hired) so that was a big wake up call and I'm pretty sure by now most of my points have fallen off.
Overall, the benefits and job security trump being stupid fast on the street. Plus, like everyone said, you get used to having to drive slow when you're hauling heavy machinery up and down mountains.

GMR
Sat Sep 21st, 2013, 05:01 PM
With the job I would only be hauling a trailer MAYBE 10% of the time, so it's just a side requirement of the job. I called my future/potential boss to let him know my concerns about my driving record with my vast amount of tickets and all, but he didn't sound too concerned that it would be an issue as long as I have a current valid license. He didn't ask exactly how many I've had, but as long as my license is still valid I should be good.
It should be good to have reason to slow down at least and not get so many tickets.

Nolan
Sat Sep 21st, 2013, 05:30 PM
If he's paying you to get your A license you just do it. Get a minimum one year accident free and basically that A endorsement is minimum 50k a year.

usmcab35
Wed Sep 25th, 2013, 09:54 AM
Ive had my class A for almost 8 years now, I have only had one speeding ticket in my entire life, but ive been pulled over 100's of times since I started riding motorcycles at 16. I would say keep your nose clean and it will pay off. I have seen so many drivers that could not get hired that could probably out drive most of our drivers in reverse with a blindfold on, sucks. And if you ever move to hazmat or doubles or triples the insurance has even stricter guidelines to meet. Most employers are cool with a normal driving record, its the insurance companies that need to bless off on it.

GMR
Wed Sep 25th, 2013, 11:12 AM
Just had all the pre-work stuff yesterday. Really stringent drug test, threshold for THC was 20/10ng/mL (I believe?) rather than the standard 50/15 for emit/GCMS. That's a breeze, it's the driving record background check I'm worried about. Should know by friday if I am officially with the company. If I get a ticket while driving the work truck, or lose my license in general it's automatic termination but I guess I don't have to worry about speeding tickets in my own vehicle/motorcycle as long as it's not significant enough to lose my license.
We'll see...