PDA

View Full Version : I need help with valve check and adjustment

birchyboy
Thu Oct 3rd, 2013, 08:02 PM
I've got my V Star 1100 torn apart so I can check the valves and adjust if necessary. I've done this before on other bikes, such as a 2002 Kawasaki Concours, without any issues. But I'll be damned if I'm not able to check the V Star and feel confident. Every valve I check is tight, meaning I can't even get a .002 inch feeler gauge between the adjusting screw and valve. Everything I've read says that it's very rare for any valve to be too tight, let alone all of them. I'm following the directions but I'll be damned if I trust myself enough to adjust them.

I'm not looking for a freebie and am willing to pay for someone to come over, run through the check, and adjust them as necessary. If no one can help, I'll call either TFOG or the local shop here and trailer it to them.

Here's a link to the doc that I'm using:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-KrKk_YXL4TNDlUMmNCNUVMZ2c/edit?pli=1

rybo
Thu Oct 3rd, 2013, 08:58 PM
When I adjust valves I more often find them tight than loose. They tighten up because the valve is constantly pounding against the seats in the cylinder head, so the spring pushes them slightly further up in the closed position.

I would say hat what you are seeing is normal. Set them to the proper clearances, button it up and ride on!

Scott

birchyboy
Sat Oct 5th, 2013, 08:34 AM
Thanks. I'm going to rent a trailer, take it in and have them done. If they tell me they were all tight then I'll be more confident next time.

Native
Sat Oct 5th, 2013, 03:06 PM
trick a really smart guy (shoutout to Mr Burns) told me way back, anytime you do a valve adjustment, pull all the plugs and turn the engine by hand with a socket wrench.

big_sur
Sat Oct 5th, 2013, 05:07 PM
When I adjust valves I more often find them tight than loose. They tighten up because the valve is constantly pounding against the seats in the cylinder head, so the spring pushes them slightly further up in the closed position.

I would say hat what you are seeing is normal. Set them to the proper clearances, button it up and ride on!

Scott

I'd say this but if it's abnormal for your bike, then I might have somebody take a look. Just to doublecheck, are the specs in metric or imperial? I actually remember one time I was thinking the same thing until I looked down and noticed I had picked up the wrong set of feelers.