PDA

View Full Version : Cannonball Record Broken (NY-LA in 29 Hours) (Gumball Racing)

Matrix
Fri Nov 1st, 2013, 05:03 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/31/us/new-york-los-angeles-cannonball-speed-record/index.html?hpt=hp_c2

29 hours from NY to LA is insane! A couple of years ago a book came out called the 'The Driver' that detailed the underground scene of Cannonball 'racing' (actually called Gumball). Its a great read for those of us that hate to read anything but magazines. In that book, they made the run in a little over 31 hours which shattered the record at the time set back in 1983. That was 2006.

One side of me thinks its stupid and crazy but given that most of have ridden as recklessly at one point or another its hard to argue. After reading the book, the other side of me thinks that their level of preparation and skill is to be admired. If nothing else its interesting.

For those of you needing a read over the winter: http://www.amazon.com/The-Driver-Dangerous-Pursuit-Outlaw/dp/0061374997

tecknojoe
Fri Nov 1st, 2013, 08:28 AM
The fact that people associate the by using the word "motorsport" is an embarrassment

Generic
Fri Nov 1st, 2013, 08:46 AM
Fun fact, my boss did the original Canon Ball run in in his '79 TA, they had the fastest time no tickets until the 1983 run

Rabbie303
Fri Nov 1st, 2013, 09:52 AM
WOW, 28 hours, 50 minutes and about 30 seconds!! That's insane.

Ezzzzy1
Fri Nov 1st, 2013, 12:19 PM
Id like to do it on a bike. In 25 hours :devil2:

I think that he made crazy time but he really saved the most amount of it by simply adding more fuel storage. He took two other guys with him so you could easily beat his time by maybe taking one other person and making even the whole back seat more fuel storage.

~Barn~
Fri Nov 1st, 2013, 01:02 PM
I would venture to say that all of those things had been done before, and that his real strategy was the recon vehicle spotting for issues hundreds of miles ahead, and precisely knowing the traffic patterns. The average speed in and of itself is not that impressive, but having clear road to make the average was his trump card.

Generic
Fri Nov 1st, 2013, 01:20 PM
I would venture to say that all of those things had been done before, and that his real strategy was the recon vehicle spotting for issues hundreds of miles ahead, and precisely knowing the traffic patterns. The average speed in and of itself is not that impressive, but having clear road to make the average was his trump card.

This. The low amount of non-travel time (45 minutes) is amazing, but by having spotters, routing around construction and not running into any traps they really stepped things up.