PDA

View Full Version : FZ1

matt2778
Thu Nov 7th, 2013, 07:51 AM
Anyone got one? Thinking about buying one. I know that Yamaha champions riding school uses them. My last street bike was a gsxr750. I kinda want 1000 power with comfort. How are they for 2-up? Do sportbikes leave you in the dust? Thanks

CHRISTIAN COWBOY
Thu Nov 7th, 2013, 09:11 AM
I like mine...and can go on 400-500 miles rides and somehow, keep up with everyone.
There is a FZ1OA forum as well about info on the bikes.

Clovis
Thu Nov 7th, 2013, 10:42 AM
I just recently bought a '09 FZ1 a few weeks back.

So far I really like it and it's my 4th Yamaha bike. You can ride two up all though expect it to be as comfortable as a super sport for your passanger. I have my FJR for two-up / extended distance riding. I bought the FZ1 for solo riding.

I was leaving sportbikes in the dust (in the twisties) on my FZ6 so I don't think you will have any issues unless you ride with Hotcarus (Sal) - but then again, he leaves everyone in the dust.

Solid bike, comfortable, lots of power and has no problem getting down in the curves. I'm kind of surprised that I get the same MPG on the FZ1 as my FJR - around 38MPG, considering the FJR weighs 200 pounds more and has a 300 more CC's

CaptGoodvibes
Sat Nov 9th, 2013, 11:59 AM
Mine has been really fun to ride and suits my needs in a bike.

TFOGGuys
Sat Nov 9th, 2013, 12:35 PM
I put 52K on a first gen Fizzer. Great bike.

CHRISTIAN COWBOY
Sun Nov 10th, 2013, 08:18 AM
and...the insurance is great on them. They are not classified as a sportbike but rather a sport touring bike. About 1/2 the cost as my Honda CBR 1000 was. Of course if you look at the people posting ...its us older guys (senior members) that ride them.
Clovis, glad to see you got another gen II, I am considering trading up for a newer one, but there isnt anything wrong with mine, other then the 48000 miles I have on it. Or my do like you and get a FJ to add to my collection.

matt2778
Sun Nov 10th, 2013, 11:27 AM
Well I was looking at one for comfort and better passenger carrying ability. I'm more interested in power difference in a straight line. I hate being left in the straights.

Chaos
Sun Nov 10th, 2013, 09:49 PM
I had an '07 FZ1 for about 2 years before my R1. To be honest the power difference doesn't really feel that far off. You're not going to beat any modern litre SS bike in a drag race, but they have enough power to stay right there with your average rider straights or twisties. The power band is a little lower in the RPM's and has a lower redline than the R1. Here's a squidy youtube video for a sense of comparison http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeBed65PTa0

CaptGoodvibes
Sun Nov 10th, 2013, 11:40 PM
I can't imagine "needing" more power. The thing is a beast.

matt2778
Mon Nov 11th, 2013, 12:59 AM
Well I know I don't need liter bike power, I want liter bike power

kawasakirob
Mon Nov 11th, 2013, 07:17 AM
You gotta remember the FZ1 was liter bike power back in the early 2000's. By today's standards, it is obviously down on power, but that's not what the bike is for. It's fast, it's mobile, and it's good handling. Is it as fast and as good of handler as a modern...Ninja? No.

For what you want to do, it's perfect, and if you can ride it, you'll have no problem keeping up with the majority.

If weight is not an issue check out a Busa or a ZX12 for a nice tourer. Then you have no excuse for not being able to keep up.

kawasakirob
Mon Nov 11th, 2013, 07:21 AM
And FZ1's are cheap. Awesome bargain bikes.

sag
Mon Nov 11th, 2013, 07:25 PM
love my 07 fz1 naked. only bike id get rid of it for is something fancier like a brutale or new s1000r

i cant stand the stock seat and the its a pig down low with stock gearing. my only gripes.

i traded an 08 r1 for it, 120 bucks a month insurance to 28 was nice.

CaptGoodvibes
Mon Nov 11th, 2013, 10:37 PM
I'm certainly no expert. According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_FZ1#Generation_II_.28since_2006.29), the current gen bike has the 2006 R1 engine tuned for better midrange torque.

matt2778
Mon Nov 11th, 2013, 11:26 PM
Ok so more people have posted. Any other opinions on passengers?

Clovis
Tue Nov 12th, 2013, 09:51 AM
Look at the passanger seat on the GEN II. It's about as comfortable as an R1 given that it is the same seat.

Probably OK for 200 miles at most.

Repsol a095
Tue Nov 12th, 2013, 10:46 AM
My wife and I railed an 01 FZ1 for almost five years. Everything about the bike was great. The only thing that we had to change was the suspension. I weigh about 190 and my wife is around 115. It was a little too much for the stock suspension. We threw some heavier springs up front and in the rear. That quick fix seemed to take care of all the suspension down falls. The only other thing we had to do was jet the bike, once we moved here.

You can easily find a first gen for around $3-$4k. Most of them already have some aftermarket parts on them.

matt2778
Thu Nov 14th, 2013, 10:00 PM
Look at the passanger seat on the GEN II. It's about as comfortable as an R1 given that it is the same seat.

Probably OK for 200 miles at most.
I guess my question is more comfort for the driver when having a passenger. I hate being slammed into all the time on a sportbike because of the seating angle.

I've also looked at the weight. Does the bike feel heavy when riding? What is the fuel range?

Chaos
Thu Nov 14th, 2013, 11:05 PM
It's pretty much the same, but only slightly better because you as the operator are at a more upright seating position instead of leaning forward like on a sport bike. Mileage, I was getting around 37-43mpg depending on riding style.

biikChiQ
Fri Nov 15th, 2013, 01:40 AM
had a gen I, rode as a passenger once>>pretty comfortable. I've pushed it before and got around 48mpg

Clovis
Fri Nov 15th, 2013, 09:10 PM
I guess my question is more comfort for the driver when having a passenger. I hate being slammed into all the time on a sportbike because of the seating angle.

I've also looked at the weight. Does the bike feel heavy when riding? What is the fuel range?

Are you asking about the FJR?

The bike has a wet weight of 640 pounds. Throw me on (I weigh 240lbs) and it's now a nearly 900 pound bike. Throw on the bags and some luggage and it is a 900 pound bike :)

With that said, the bike feels heavy in low speed situations such as parking garages, hair pint turns (ie 10mph curves).

The bike utterly glides at speed; solo or two up.

The FJR is more sport then tourer but it offers a great balance. For over a year the FJR was my only bike and I've put 20,000 miles on it in that time. It's very capable to be ridden hard solo. The biggest limiting factor is the ground clearance. Hint: Replace the stock pegs with something shorter. I use motocross pegs.

Fuel range is 230 miles in my experience. I average 36-38 mpg and the bike has s 6.5 gallon tank. Other (older) FJR riders claim 45-48mpg but I'm sure they're not riding like me.

Here's a video of solo riding the FJR - two weeks into ownership.

Craziness ensues at 2:25

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2_Cuw4DzhM

sag
Mon Nov 18th, 2013, 07:21 PM

my driver comfort is good with a passenger, long as they are brave enough to make use of the excellent grab handles. the bike only feels really heavy to me when off the bike and moving it around the garage. on it, with the wide handlebars, it has much more leverage for maneuvering than a sportbike. i fill up at like 130 miles but im a huge wuss when it comes to pushing mileage range haha. and yes they say its retuned for midrange but for them to claim it has more midrange than that generation R1 is not saying much lol. pre-09 r1s ride like 600s, and our altitude certainly doesnt help.