PDA

View Full Version : Got a new R6. Suspension ?

GMR
Tue Nov 19th, 2013, 04:49 PM
So pissed at myself right now. I don't have an issue with debt I always pay any debt off right away, but I have a HUGE issue with saving up money. Of course, I have a chunk of cash in the bank so yea "why not get another R6?" fuck. Current bike: 07 R6s, newer bike: 06 R6

ANYWAYS..

The huge difference I've noticed between the new (well, older but new style) R6 from my R6s is turning. While I'm going around corners, when I lean, the handlebars really get pressed in the direction from the lean so I'm basically trying to steer the other direction to keep it straight while I'm leaning the turn (if you understand what I'm trying to explain, at all....) This is quite a new sensation to me as my R6s has very rigid turning and I really just lean and don't use the handlebars much at all--i feel like I could almost turn without holding the handlebars which with the new bike would surely send me into a highside.

Is this due to the R6 has those inverted front forks or whatnot as opposed to the R6s which doesn't? Or maybe I should make mention that the bike was a girls bike so it is lowered and also may have tweaked suspension.

What are your thoughts? Is this how the bike was designed to be, a feature that I should embrace even though right now it feels strange how the handlebars want to turn so much, or do I need to get some major suspension work done?

If anyone wants to geek out and explain subtle differences/arts of the R6's, go right ahead. Obviously I don't know a whole lot about bikes

Smitty
Tue Nov 19th, 2013, 05:01 PM
I've ridden on both of those types of bike and can say that the non S model turns in much quicker than the other. I'm not quite sure of what you are trying to explain but I don't think you will need any kind of major suspension work, but probably something minor. Maybe raising or dropping the front end depending on what exactly it is doing. I personally loved the fast turn-in of the bike but it may be something you aren't use to. Are the handle bars actually turning, or is the bike drifting in the corner, or are you putting unnecessary input into the bike during cornering?

WolFeYeZ
Tue Nov 19th, 2013, 06:28 PM
If anyone wants to geek out and explain subtle differences/arts of the R6's, go right ahead. Obviously I don't know a whole lot about bikes

I also own both an r6r 06 and a r6s 2005. Two things from my experience with both of these bikes: 1) tires can change the way the bike behaves in the way you seemed to describe. Do you have different tires on each? 2) If it was lowered I suggest raising the forks in the triple clamp (so as to make the front end higher and more stable). Its finals week for me right now... or else I would say a lot more.

Edit: If you located in the Denver area I could come check it out too :) After finals of course. I'm not an expert with bikes or anything, but I am really good at anything r6 related, having owned 8 of them in the last 2 years and doing most of my own mechanic work.

buddahson
Tue Nov 19th, 2013, 08:55 PM
Well first off, if it's lowered its going to handle worse than it should. Fix that first. Then either find the factory suspension settings and check them, or get a suspension guy to take a look. The R6 handles better than the S model, and typically should take less effort to turn. As the poster above said, you could have a tire issue as well. If pressure is low or the tire has a flat spot from only riding in straight lines (or burnouts), its going to hamper handling.

GMR
Tue Nov 19th, 2013, 10:22 PM
Smitty--the handlebars try to turn into the turn while I lean. The R6s doesn't do that at all, so for me it's a really strange feeling.
Wolfeyez- would be much appreciated. I'll be working in Texas probably for the next month maybe more, but it would be cool to meet up, have somebody show me the way around my bikes, perhaps ride if weather is good too. The tires are also different. R6s has PP2 and the R6 has...not PP2... something else I forgot

My plan for having the different bikes is to decide which one I really like the best before I dump a bunch of money on it (steering damper, sliders, exhaust/ECU...), so I'll definitely give it a try. It just feels a bit more sketchy for me taking turns at lower speeds (like I said, feels like I'd get bucked off if I'm not controlling the steering), but maybe that's how it's supposed to be and I just need to embrace it, the steering on the R6 is definitely a bit more lively.

Appreciate the input

Jim_Vess
Tue Nov 19th, 2013, 10:33 PM
I also own both an r6r 06 and a r6s 2005.

The 2005 R6 is not the same as the R6S. The 2006 - 2009 R6S is basically the 2004 R6 - standard forks and brakes. The 2005 R6 has inverted forks and radial-mounted brakes.

asp_125
Wed Nov 20th, 2013, 09:09 AM
If it was lowered incorrectly (ie not by the same amount each end) it will handle differently. Rear lower than front = slow steering, front > rear = quick steering. Due to the rake angle being changed. +1 on the tires. The wear pattern with the old settings may give you a different feel.

Had the same problem with Ann's FZ6R. Corrected the rake, got new tires, felt like a different bike.

skeezbox
Tue Jan 14th, 2014, 12:10 PM
You need to go back and reset your suspension geometry .... start with static and dynamic sag and preload, as well as your rear fork height in relation to your rear shock height... Get your geometry at a good starting point and you 80% of the way there...

tecknojoe
Tue Jan 14th, 2014, 02:03 PM
The 2005 R6 is not the same as the R6S. The 2006 - 2009 R6S is basically the 2004 R6 - standard forks and brakes. The 2005 R6 has inverted forks and radial-mounted brakes.

You're right about that

but the OP bought an 06 R6

rockerphotographer
Tue Jan 14th, 2014, 05:01 PM
the handlebars try to turn into the turn while I lean.

This is the red flag. So does the bike always want to stand up? First, Start with making sure the forks are installed per service manual (measurement from top of triple to top of fork tube). Then, more preload in the rear or less in the front. Not sure what the spring rates are on either bike but if your sag is set correctly it will turn in easily on any sport bike, ESPECIALLY an R6. Depending on your weight you may want to at least change out the fork and shock springs for correct rate.

Kim-n-Dean
Tue Jan 14th, 2014, 05:56 PM
Put new tires on it.

Jim_Vess
Tue Jan 14th, 2014, 11:01 PM
You're right about that

but the OP bought an 06 R6

I wasn't talking about the OP's bike. I was referring to WolfEyez calling his 2005 R6 an R6S, which it is not.

WolFeYeZ
Tue Jan 14th, 2014, 11:55 PM
I wasn't talking about the OP's bike. I was referring to WolfEyez calling his 2005 R6 an R6S, which it is not.

Sorry, its only 99% the same bike... all the same except for the forks, front calipers, front rotors, front pads, master cylinder, triple tree, throttle bodies and a couple other minor tweaks. Sorry for not mentioning that...

On a different note, I have owned an 00, 04, 05, 05, 06, 06, 07 and 09. I just mentioned my two current bikes. Thanks for the help Jim_Vess!

GMR
Wed Jan 15th, 2014, 07:39 AM
i'm too new to bikes where do you suggest I go to reset my geometry and sag. Is this something I need to take to a shop, or is somewhere on here experienced with it? I dug up the service manual with all the specs
I hope I don't need new springs, but maybe
Tires are stock. They are either Q2 or PR2, I get confused which is on which bike but they are the standard recommended tires.
I'm certain it is the rake. I took a picture of the two side by side and the front of the R6 looks far lower than the front of the R6s. Could be the design of the bikes, but not that much. I like the feel of a lowered bike but yea something needs to be fixed.
Picked up a steering damper from powers, if I get the suspension set up right I'll be ready to throw on the standard I/H/E/PC. Stoked for the summer

rockerphotographer
Wed Jan 15th, 2014, 09:41 AM
Measure the dogbones if you think it's been lowered. Google up the stock length, center of hole to center of hole. Most of the time, people only lower the rear when they want to lower it. If just the rear has been lowered, this would definitely screw everything up and give you the quality of ride you're talking about. Stock dogbones should be cheap and they're easy to swap if you're up to it.

Basically, what you need to do is figure out what the previous owner changed, then change it back to manufacturer specs. Sounds like you just need the stock setup and you'll be good. It would at least be a good starting point.

Homework assignment:
step 1: check dogbone length- replace to stock if necessary
step 2: Follow this basic suspension setup http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/howto/122_0508_motorcycle_suspension_setup/

Until you do this, you're not gonna get much help.

Grant H.
Sun Jan 26th, 2014, 05:57 PM
The 04 I lowered had the front forks flush with the clipons before we lowered it.

If they don't sit flush, but stick up, it has most likely been lowered.