PDA

View Full Version : K&N Highflow Airfilter

Hutch
Tue Oct 14th, 2003, 01:56 PM
Just dropped about $50 on a K&N Highflow Airfilter. I noticed I was having some loss of power issues at altitude this past weekend, and thought if I gave my bike a little more breathing ability, it would help a little bit. Anyone else run with a K&N? Plan on installing it this afternoon. Will let everyone know if it was worth the $$. :dunno:

FZRguy
Tue Oct 14th, 2003, 02:41 PM
Yes, worth it. I noticed a diff before I got to the end of the block.

Quick636
Thu Oct 16th, 2003, 08:41 PM
I didn't feel a whole lot when I put mine on. The bike felt a bit "different", but hard to say if it was any better or quicker.

I have actually read that on many bikes they will actually cause a HP loss.

GixxStunna
Thu Oct 16th, 2003, 10:15 PM
with the technology and the way filters are made now a K&N isn't gong to be a huge HP increase probably at he most 1 HP. Only reason I bought one was for the lifetime warranty.

Ripper
Thu Oct 16th, 2003, 11:13 PM
Well mate, any difference???

the K&N is supposed to flow 3x better than stock, the BMC filter is supposed to flow 5x better

Anonymous
Thu Oct 16th, 2003, 11:30 PM
I heard something about this recently, but I may have it backwards (I'm hoping somebody that knows will step in and confirm or correct me).

For carburated bikes, use K&N.

For fuel-injected bikes, use BMC.

BMC has too much airflow for carborated bikes, but the FI can adjust for it. At least that's what I think was said.

Hutch
Thu Oct 16th, 2003, 11:32 PM

the K&N is supposed to flow 3x better than stock, the BMC filter is supposed to flow 5x better

Don't know yet. :? When I started rippin' apart my bike, I noticed my rear tyre (that British for what you yanks refer to as a "tire" :lol: )was flat for no apparent reason. Sure, it has over 5,000 miles on it, and I can see the steel belts in one spot, but what the bloody hell is going on? Needless to say I had to stop and have some tea and contemplate my options. I have been tyre shopping ever since. So since I can't ride my bike anyway, I put off the air filter swap until my tyre comes in.

Ripper
Fri Oct 17th, 2003, 12:29 AM

Don't know yet. :? When I started rippin' apart my bike, I noticed my rear tyre (that British for what you yanks refer to as a "tire" :lol: )was flat for no apparent reason. Sure, it has over 5,000 miles on it, and I can see the steel belts in one spot, but what the bloody hell is going on? Needless to say I had to stop and have some tea and contemplate my options. I have been tyre shopping ever since. So since I can't ride my bike anyway, I put off the air filter swap until my tyre comes in.

Blootie well,, than mate.
http://www.sportbikes.ws/avatar.php?userid=1347&dateline=1052035294
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/content/images/News/news_stories/images/02705854.jpg

Ripper
Fri Oct 17th, 2003, 12:33 AM
I heard something about this recently, but I may have it backwards (I'm hoping somebody that knows will step in and confirm or correct me).

BMC has too much airflow for carborated bikes, but the FI can adjust for it. At least that's what I think was said.

That makes sence, because it's a nightmare dialing in a carbed R6 w/ a BMC. but why would they sell them for carburated models?

Quick636
Fri Oct 17th, 2003, 12:44 AM

That makes sence, because it's a nightmare dialing in a carbed R6 w/ a BMC. but why would they sell them for carburated models?

Because people buy them. Because most people assume more is better, when it very well be that more is too much.

NineTwoFour
Fri Oct 17th, 2003, 08:05 AM
The consensus I have seen on the R6 boards is that the aftermarket filters are WORSE than the stock filters. At least on this bike.

I put one on my 4-Runner, and it worked out great.

Probably just depends on the particular application.

Fri Oct 17th, 2003, 11:01 AM

Not True. BMC filters require you to have to rejet your bike so you cant just "drop it in" like a K&N filter. That makes people think BMCs dont work when they just need to rejet. K&Ns are great when your stock filter is dirty and you need a new one. If you want a performance gain gat a BMC.

FI systems do self adjust to reach the "optimum" air/fuel ratio. The range they can adjust is small. When you add performance parts you can exceed the range the system can adjust trying to get the "optimum" ratio.

Fri Oct 17th, 2003, 11:11 AM
The consensus I have seen on the R6 boards is that the aftermarket filters are WORSE than the stock filters. At least on this bike.

I have heard the same thing. It only seems to be with the R6. The reason is the stock filter has more surface area than the aftermarket filters.

I have not had the chance to test this theory, yet.

Anonymous
Fri Oct 17th, 2003, 11:49 AM

I put one on my 4-Runner, and it worked out great.

Probably just depends on the particular application.

Yep I use one in my 4runner as well, it works great; though I can show you some intake tricks that'll really make it go! :)

The other thing I have heard is that BMC's are great in Suzuki's while K&N's are not.

FWIW yes a K&N is "drop in power", especially at this altitude where your stock bike is still jetted for sea level. However if you rejet you're going to gain power no matter what.

friscokidd
Fri Oct 17th, 2003, 12:02 PM

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/content/images/News/news_stories/images/02705854.jpg

:hump: :boobies: :rock: :makeout: :bow:

Hutch
Fri Oct 17th, 2003, 04:55 PM

God bless you, Ripper!

Hozerking
Fri Oct 17th, 2003, 10:04 PM
There are a few bikes out there that don't respond well to aftermarket filters like the RC! On most bikes if you have an open exhaust a freeer breathing air filter will help.

I have the cone K/N on my Yamaha and without an airbox they sound awesome! Like I'm afraid for my family jewels when I open her up! you can reall hear her suck! ;) ... this is good!

-al

Ripper
Sat Oct 18th, 2003, 03:12 AM
Hey Hozer you need any help puttin that batch back together, I gotta a shop up here!!!

Anonymous
Sat Oct 18th, 2003, 03:15 AM
Like I'm afraid for my family jewels when I open her up! you can reall hear her suck!

Yeah I knew a chick like that once too... :shock: :lol:

Hozerking
Sat Oct 18th, 2003, 03:22 AM
Hey Hozer you need any help puttin that batch back together, I gotta a shop up here!!!

I'm cool for now but the next time you have a get together give me a shout I'd like to see the place! Otherwise if I hit a snag I'm shouting! lol...

-al

Ripper
Sat Oct 18th, 2003, 03:23 AM
Will do!!! 8)