PDA

View Full Version : Who's good for working on rusty tanks in Denver Metro?

rifleshooter
Tue Dec 24th, 2013, 10:52 AM
The CBR F3's 17-year-old tank is looking just the tiniest bit rusty on the inside. The fuel filter seems to have successfully intercepted all the red/brown goodness before it hit the carbs. I guess I can continue with this paradigm until the fuel tank no longer holds gas, but clearly the other option is to attempt a repair.

Who works on tanks in the metro area? I guess I could Red Kote this bad boy but I understand that any impropriety in preparation is rewarded with liner failure, which promptly clogs your fuel filter. In any case I do not want to dick around with chemicals myself.

travisspeed
Mon Jan 6th, 2014, 10:08 AM
Ive used Por 15 its great stuff... http://www.por15.com/Fuel-System-Restoration_c_17.html

FZRguy
Mon Jan 6th, 2014, 06:38 PM
I turned my bathroom into a toxic waste dump a few years ago with this stuff. Seemed to work.

http://www.kreem.com/fueltankliner.html

rforsythe
Mon Jan 6th, 2014, 06:43 PM
Pay very close attention to the safety warnings on these chemicals, especially the ones containing MEK. You don't want to be in anything even resembling a confined space with that stuff.

FZRguy
Mon Jan 6th, 2014, 07:00 PM
On a plus note, all the bugs in my bathroom were belly-up by the time the stuff dried.

#1Townie
Tue Jan 7th, 2014, 08:55 AM
Pay very close attention to the safety warnings on these chemicals, especially the ones containing MEK. You don't want to be in anything even resembling a confined space with that stuff.

Man when I was making aircraft parts we washed our hands with mek. That's some good stuff!! Lol

asp_125
Tue Jan 7th, 2014, 09:08 AM
Man when I was making aircraft parts we washed our hands with mek. That's some good stuff!! Lol

My brother used MEK to strip paint off helos and hovercraft, nasty stuff.

The GECCO
Tue Jan 7th, 2014, 02:14 PM
Go to Harbor Freight and buy a 5lb bag of the course polishing abrasives that are designed to go in a vibrating parts cleaner. Put a couple cups of it in the tank and seal the holes with duct tape. Shake the shit out of it. Bring your friends over and offer them beer to shake the shit out of it. If you can figure out a way to secure it in a paint shaker, you're golden. Anyway, once the rust is gone, clean it out thoroughly and reassemble. Then make sure that the bike is always FULL of fuel when it will be sitting for more than a few days, especially if it will be anywhere where the temperature and humidity aren't controlled and constant.

FZRguy
Tue Jan 7th, 2014, 02:31 PM
Following along Glenn's advice, has anyone tried using just the acid bath part but not the sealant?

FZRACE97
Tue Jan 7th, 2014, 04:16 PM
i have used Red-Kote on a old tank that actually leaked and it did the trick.
Essy prep and no harsh vapors.