PDA

View Full Version : Power Commander adjustments

UHATEIT
Wed Jan 15th, 2014, 01:45 PM
I am sure going to a shop will be the solution to a proper tune but I did have some questions for any of you who have used a power commander on your bike. I bought one and there are maps from the dynojet website that attest for the type of slip-on that I have and for a stock/aftermarket filter. I found on the Kawasaki website a few personal maps for my same bike with similar mods that are tuned better than just for say the slip-on itself. I was curious if installing a map for a slip on oter than the one I have would hurt the bike in any way.

Also was curious if there are certain adjustments that need to be made for the altitude we have here or if the power commander makes its own adjustments to airflow and altitude conditions and adjusts automatically.

I have the Verison 3 which has the 3 buttons on the front of it and was also curious since the map I loaded seems to have the fuel at the absolute lowest point (the led is at the very bottom of the spectrum) if I should try to make any adjustments to the low/mid/high points to account for altitude or not.

Anyways, sorry for the many questions, but trying to find the answers online has been tough to find exactly what I should try to do with the unit. Otherwise does anyone have any suggestions to where I could ride by sometime and see about adjusting things? Or recommend a place to have these things checked?

Bueller
Wed Jan 15th, 2014, 03:06 PM
Put the "canned " tune that fits your set up. Slip ons don't change anything but the noise, any one will be about the same as another, and pretty much stock.
Watch the LED's as you wick it up. You are looking at the bike @ idle.
If you want any appreciable gain take it and have it tuned. Eddie @ EPIC can tune it for you, or there are other shops with Dynos.

UHATEIT
Wed Jan 15th, 2014, 03:28 PM
I was hesitant to even buy one of these things but got it for a decently cheap price. Hopefully it's worth the price and benefits the experience of riding.

I was hoping to be able to have say a MPG setting such as for long touring with straight roads (like my plan to ride to the black hills) where I can have it at the best MPG setting for the straight freeway ride there. And was hoping there was a way to have a lower rpm mode to try and get the V4 to feel more like my Vtwin on street riding lower rpm conditions.

UglyDogRacing
Wed Jan 15th, 2014, 04:25 PM
If you want any appreciable gain take it and have it tuned. Eddie @ EPIC can tune it for you, or there are other shops with Dynos.

I heard Eddie left a couple weeks ago and Epic closed their doors.

rforsythe
Wed Jan 15th, 2014, 05:31 PM
And was hoping there was a way to have a lower rpm mode to try and get the V4 to feel more like my Vtwin on street riding lower rpm conditions.

Changing the fuel map isn't going to alter the physics that cause engines to work like they do. You can get a power bump to some degree with a power commander, and more of one with other modifications done with the PC (exhaust, intake, engine work, etc), but bottom line is a V-twin will behave differently than your 4-banger. Also if this is on your 636, it's an inline 4, not a V4.

Bueller
Wed Jan 15th, 2014, 06:30 PM
I was hesitant to even buy one of these things but got it for a decently cheap price. Hopefully it's worth the price and benefits the experience of riding.

I was hoping to be able to have say a MPG setting such as for long touring with straight roads (like my plan to ride to the black hills) where I can have it at the best MPG setting for the straight freeway ride there. And was hoping there was a way to have a lower rpm mode to try and get the V4 to feel more like my Vtwin on street riding lower rpm conditions.
If you want a twins power characteristics, buy a twin. I4 is a completely different power delivery. Don't waste your $ on gimmicky crap. PC's are for 1 thing, they allow you to tune for performance. They can smooth out the power but it needs to be done on a Dyno (extra expense).

I heard Eddie left a couple weeks ago and Epic closed their doors.
I have not seen nor heard anything about this.

UHATEIT
Wed Jan 15th, 2014, 07:26 PM
Yeah my bad on the v4 thing I meant inline 4. I have a ninja 636 and still have my vtwin sv650. They are for sure two separate bikes. But if money stays tight I'll have to part with the sv650 so I was hoping to see if different ways to adjust the power commander to help the 636 have characteristics like the sv does. Such as a good mpg mode by turning the fuel down and if a way to allow the fuel to work better at lower rpm to expand the power band so I can get the torque at slower speeds too like the sv around town.

UHATEIT
Wed Jan 15th, 2014, 07:34 PM
Dont waste your $ on gimmicky crap.
Ah man so it is waste? I was debating for a while whether to get it or not.

rforsythe
Wed Jan 15th, 2014, 07:39 PM
If you're after a twin, keep the SV and put the power commander on that instead. Your '05 is fuel injected, it can be mapped.

Lomax
Wed Jan 15th, 2014, 08:47 PM
Don't mean to hijack, really :bigeyes: but if anyone needs a PC-V I have a fairly new one that is just sitting around. And two Lambda sensor tuners.

Marc

rybo
Wed Jan 15th, 2014, 09:53 PM
Eddie has for sure left Epic and has opened his own shop -

http://www.sisnerosspeedworks.com

I am not sure about the fate of Epic, but I'll swing by there in the next couple of days and find out.

UglyDogRacing
Wed Jan 15th, 2014, 10:53 PM
Eddie has for sure left Epic and has opened his own shop -

http://www.sisnerosspeedworks.com

I am not sure about the fate of Epic, but I'll swing by there in the next couple of days and find out.

He's working out of Steele's Cycles.

FZRguy
Thu Jan 16th, 2014, 10:06 PM
He's working out of Steele's Cycles.

Yikes. Well, if anyone needs him, Steele's does. Closer to home to boot.