PDA

View Full Version : St. Patrick's Day Parade Changes! Poll Closed - UPDATE!

Spiderman
Fri Jan 24th, 2014, 01:21 PM
The Denver St. Patrick's Day Parade has changed the rules for entries this year, limiting each entry to 10 vehicles. What does this mean for us? Well, historically, we've been limited to 30 motorcycles... most of the participants would meet for breakfast, and the remaining participants would join the group at the restaurant or pre-staging area. From that point on, we essentially remained together as a group: riding to the staging area; waiting for our turn to enter the parade; and riding the parade route... basically, we all pretty much shared the same experience.

We can still have 30 motorcycles, but we would be split into 3 groups of 10. We would not be staged together, nor would we ride the parade route, or finish the parade, at the same time.

Splitting into 3 groups also increases our overall parade entry fee by $100, which will be split equally by the participants, in addition to any other costs not covered by sponsorship.

Please vote and have your say in whether or not the Colorado Sportbike Club still participates in the Denver St. Patrick's Day Parade.

Edit: I have closed the poll early. Please see my update in post #37 (http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?52106-St-Patrick-s-Day-Parade-Changes!-Do-We-Still-Want-to-Participate-Please-Read-amp-Vote&p=751946#post751946). 8)

Edit #2: Closing thread because parade sign-up thread has been posted here: http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/showthread.php?52130-***-2014-St-Patrick-s-Day-Parade-Sign-Up-Thread-***-SIGN-UP-BEFORE-5PM-on-1-31-!!!

~Barn~
Fri Jan 24th, 2014, 01:57 PM
Death.

How does the appeal process work?

bornwildnfree
Fri Jan 24th, 2014, 02:15 PM
BOOOOOO!!!!! But...not riding would be...very sad. I think we could all hang out in the staging area and ride the parade when we are called up. I say keep doing it.

Snowman
Fri Jan 24th, 2014, 02:18 PM
The "City" has been slowly removing the things this group could do in this parade from day one.

The first parade I can remember had Hoopty doing stunts down two rows of bikes all doing burnouts.
The next they would only let us do Stunts.
Then no burnouts. (Damn near arrested Sash)
Then no riders passing out anything.
Now they are down to 10 riders. (I'm assuming so they can see which one of us they can arrest for something.)

Time to give it up, folks.

Canuck
Fri Jan 24th, 2014, 02:35 PM
Wow. I was just thinking about participating in the parade this year. But, the Hell with it. Randall is right, the city have been restricting us incrementally for years now.
I say, stick a fork in it.

rforsythe
Fri Jan 24th, 2014, 02:36 PM
I'm over it.

Grim2.0
Fri Jan 24th, 2014, 02:48 PM
It's always been a ton of fun and i was planning to borrow a bike to be in it this year, but if we cant all ride as a group i fail to see the point, 10 bikes is a joke, the city can shove it!

Spiderman
Fri Jan 24th, 2014, 03:18 PM
Now they are down to 10 riders. (I'm assuming so they can see which one of us they can arrest for something.)
As was explained to me, this was done based on feedback from spectators, who commented that the vehicle entries (of which there are many, and their numbers increase every year) are too long, and the gaps between your "typical" parade entries (marching bands & floats) are too big. I remember looking back from the front of our group once a few years ago, and at one point, we had gotten so spaced out, we took up a block and a half! I can see how limiting vehicle entries to 10 will have a positive effect on the spectators' complaints.

I spoke to one of the Parade Committee chairpersons, and explained that a big part of this, for us, is that it's a group experience that we all share together. She was very appreciative of me calling and letting her know in person, and will bring that concern to the board. I doubt it will make a difference, but we won't know for sure until registration for the 2015 parade starts.

rforsythe
Fri Jan 24th, 2014, 03:26 PM
I remember looking back from the front of our group once a few years ago, and at one point, we had gotten so spaced out, we took up a block and a half!

To be fair, that's probably because someone needed a half-block to get up into a block-long wheelie. :lol:

WolFeYeZ
Fri Jan 24th, 2014, 03:26 PM
What if we were to ride 6 bikes wide of 5 rows or something? That would have similar gapping to 5 cars X.x

Native
Fri Jan 24th, 2014, 03:30 PM
the whining pussies have won again

asp_125
Fri Jan 24th, 2014, 03:54 PM
I have always thought the crowd (especially the kids) loved our bikes and costumes... and Bob and Sash's smoky burnouts.

Oh well.. *meh* over it.

mdub
Fri Jan 24th, 2014, 04:20 PM
Did it a cpl yrs ago . Missed last yr. but I would be dwn for 2014. Met some grt folks that I have forgotten already.

Heater
Fri Jan 24th, 2014, 04:33 PM
It's tradition! I vote yes.

madvlad
Fri Jan 24th, 2014, 08:12 PM
Such a great time that we have and the kids love the bikes, why limit the only biker group they have? Oh yes don't limit those big as semi trucks and what not. Plus even in split groups it's still the same amount of bikes, what an idiotic thing to do. I'll still ride it cause it's fun as hell if I can find a bike. Bee having a blast these past 4 years.

DemonRider
Fri Jan 24th, 2014, 08:59 PM
. I vote to keep it going. It is a lot of fun :-)

Spiderman
Sat Jan 25th, 2014, 01:32 AM
To be fair, that's probably because someone needed a half-block to get up into a block-long wheelie. :lol:

Now that you mention it...
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/images/MB/avatars/Loopty.gif :lol:

Such a great time that we have and the kids love the bikes, why limit the only biker group they have? Oh yes don't limit those big as semi trucks and what not. Plus even in split groups it's still the same amount of bikes, what an idiotic thing to do. I'll still ride it cause it's fun as hell if I can find a bike. Bee having a blast these past 4 years.

The only motorcycle group they have?!? :wtf: They have an award for Best Motorcycle Entry... in the 12 years we've been participating in the parade, we've only ever won it twice. Just because you don't see any other motorcycles in the staging area, doesn't mean there aren't any - it's a big staging area... trust me, we are definitely not the only motorcycle group! And the new rule applies to any entry comprised entirely of motorized vehicles (think car clubs & motorcycles). Semi's don't fall into that category because it's not about the semi, it's about the float the semi is pulling, and each float is a separate entry. And finally, it's not about reducing the number of vehicles - it's about mixing things up more, so the spectators feel like their seeing more variety. Think of it this way - if you had to watch 3 hours worth of television commercials, and you had to watch each commercial 10 times, would you rather watch each commercial 10 times in a row, or mix them up so no 2 commercials in a row are the same? 8)

rforsythe
Sat Jan 25th, 2014, 05:12 AM
I just feel bad for the shriners. Those guys have like 300 vehicles!

madvlad
Sat Jan 25th, 2014, 06:38 AM
Now that you mention it...
http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/images/MB/avatars/Loopty.gif :lol:

The only motorcycle group they have?!? :wtf: They have an award for Best Motorcycle Entry... in the 12 years we've been participating in the parade, we've only ever won it twice. Just because you don't see any other motorcycles in the staging area, doesn't mean there aren't any - it's a big staging area... trust me, we are definitely not the only motorcycle group! And the new rule applies to any entry comprised entirely of motorized vehicles (think car clubs & motorcycles). Semi's don't fall into that category because it's not about the semi, it's about the float the semi is pulling, and each float is a separate entry. And finally, it's not about reducing the number of vehicles - it's about mixing things up more, so the spectators feel like their seeing more variety. Think of it this way - if you had to watch 3 hours worth of television commercials, and you had to watch each commercial 10 times, would you rather watch each commercial 10 times in a row, or mix them up so no 2 commercials in a row are the same? 8)

Okay well I'm still in if this goes down, plus we are the best sport bike club bro, who are they? Pfff! Lol

dirkterrell
Sat Jan 25th, 2014, 07:39 AM
I've done it since 2008 and enjoyed it every time. I voted no. If the complaint about vehicle groups is a valid representation of the overall feeling of the crowd, then so be it. Based on my experience interacting with the crowd each time, I find that a little hard to believe. Motorcycles allow a level of interaction with the crowd that is hard to do from, say, a car. It would be interesting to know how the other affected groups feel about it. I'd bet that the crowd's reaction would be one of great disappointment if all of the vehicle groups disappeared.

One-ops
Sat Jan 25th, 2014, 12:34 PM
I vote yes clubs gotta stay active in as much as it can and this is a pretty big one for it.
Three groups, 3 different themes??!!!

Bueller
Sat Jan 25th, 2014, 01:11 PM
I did it once, I think 2005. I was on my DRZ Supermoto. It was fun to do it once, but once was enough for me. Too many rules and regulations. Really hard on the motorcycle.

Fun Sized
Sat Jan 25th, 2014, 02:54 PM
I think we should go ahead and do it. Maybe each group of bikes could have a theme of some sort (incorporating St. Patty's Day of course). Might be cool to have the ladies riding together or something. Might as well get creative if we're gonna be split up.

SniperRider
Sat Jan 25th, 2014, 06:57 PM
I say stick with it because it was the only time we could all get together and have a good time

Spiderman
Sat Jan 25th, 2014, 07:30 PM
I say stick with it because it was the only time we could all get together and have a good time
That's just the thing - we're not all together... at least not the same way we've been in years past.

I'm going to look at costs from last year, and see if I can estimate costs this year, depending on the number of people that sign up. If I can figure that out, I'll post a sign-up thread.

Kim-n-Dean
Sat Jan 25th, 2014, 08:51 PM
I did it once, I think 2005. I was on my DRZ Supermoto. It was fun to do it once, but once was enough for me. Too many rules and regulations. Really hard on the motorcycle.
We did it in 2004. There were quit a few bikes that had to pull off because of over heating or fried their clutch. On the way home, my clutch went. That was the first and last time we did it...

FZRguy
Sat Jan 25th, 2014, 09:18 PM
Perfect duty for a Zero. Hope you can figure a way to keep doing it, Bob.

Snowman
Sun Jan 26th, 2014, 05:41 PM
Does this mean we will have to pay 3 times as much to get the same 30 bikes in as last year?

Nolan
Mon Jan 27th, 2014, 07:43 AM
Get a long flatbed trailer, tie down bikes..... wouldn't that be 1 vehicle?

rforsythe
Mon Jan 27th, 2014, 07:53 AM
Get a long flatbed trailer, tie down bikes..... wouldn't that be 1 vehicle?

We were going to attempt it last year, that has the effect of cutting the vehicle count by 5 (or did at the time). The way it's going now, they may just make that the entire entry.

Nolan
Mon Jan 27th, 2014, 08:29 AM
If a bike is strapped down on the trailer can they say anything about it doing burnouts?

rforsythe
Mon Jan 27th, 2014, 09:27 AM
If a bike is strapped down on the trailer can they say anything about it doing burnouts?

Denver PD might. The owner of the trailer might as well.

UHATEIT
Mon Jan 27th, 2014, 12:54 PM
I'm going to chime in and say let's put the $ towards the Annual BBQ since we didn't have one last year :) have a beginning of the season BBQ instead. All that $ spent on entry fees could cover some ribs or steaks!

FZRguy
Mon Jan 27th, 2014, 02:37 PM
I like the trailer idea, and the BBQ idea.

Jason ON
Mon Jan 27th, 2014, 07:21 PM
Even if the reduced number of vehicles allowed is limited to 10 I still think it's a good idea to participate (with a minimum of 10). Not only is it tradition, but it's good PR for motorcycle riders, specifically sportbikes, to get out there are be seen as normal people. I won't ride again, but will be there camera in hand.

racinjason
Mon Jan 27th, 2014, 10:13 PM
Last year was a blast for me... Id do it again. rules suck at the 10 people a group. have the passed it or are they trying too. Im down to appeal it.

Spiderman
Tue Jan 28th, 2014, 12:13 AM
Perfect duty for a Zero. Hope you can figure a way to keep doing it, Bob.It's already in the works. ;)(see below)

Does this mean we will have to pay 3 times as much to get the same 30 bikes in as last year?No. Each $75 entry includes 5 vehicles, same as years past. Additional 2-wheel vehicles have always been, and still are, $5 each.
In previous years, that was: $75 + $125 (25 bikes @ $5 each) for a total of $200
With the new limit limit, it's: ($75 + $25 (5 bikes @ $5 each)) x 3 (for 3 entries) for a total of $300
Basically, it would be $100 for every group of 10 bikes.

Get a long flatbed trailer, tie down bikes..... wouldn't that be 1 vehicle?Yes, that would be considered a float... each entry includes 5 vehicles OR 1 truck & trailer.

We were going to attempt it last year, that has the effect of cutting the vehicle count by 5 (or did at the time). The way it's going now, they may just make that the entire entry.Actually, last year we were talking about having smaller trailer (e.g. 8x15) with a couple of bikes on it (IIRC), but even a trailer that size is considered a float, and yes, it would have cut out 4 bikes (each entry includes 5 vehicles OR 1 truck & trailer).

I'm going to chime in and say let's put the $ towards the Annual BBQ since we didn't have one last year :) have a beginning of the season BBQ instead. All that $ spent on entry fees could cover some ribs or steaks!Money wasn't the issue, I just didn't have the time. I'm planning on putting together a BBQ this summer. I'll try and do it earlier in the season as well. 8)

So... getting back to the parade...
Here's what I was thinking over the weekend: a lot of us are discouraged because we don't like how things have changed since we first started participating 13 years ago, and it will no longer be the same experience... But, it would still be an experience, and there are people who don't care that it changed, as well as others who would still like to experience it. I took some time over the weekend and looked at the numbers to get an idea of how much entry fees and t-shirts might cost us, depending on the number of participants, and sponsorship we got.

I'm pleased to announce that both TFOG Wheelsports (http://www.tfogracing.com/):yay: and ABATE of Colorado (http://www.abateofcolo.org/) :multi: have both agreed to sponsor the club's entry this year again. Assuming t-shirt costs haven't gone up that much (I'm waiting for a call back), and because it's hard to predict the number of people that will sign up, a $20 sign-up fee per rider would cover the balance of the costs (if you have a passenger, there will be an additional $10 charge, but that's payable later)... Depending on the number of people that sign up, you may even get some money back. As in years past, all participants will get a commemorative t-shirt specific to this year's event, to be worn during the parade. I'll post a sign-up thread tonight. 8)

There is one restriction that will affect the final participant list (to keep the per rider sign-up fee under $20): Each group/entry MUST have at least 5 bikes.

On the plus side, we could have 50 bikes in the parade this year! :idea:

~Barn~
Tue Jan 28th, 2014, 09:37 AM
Dibs on a spot in the back of the RalphWagon!
(and happy to pay my sign-up fee)

Spiderman
Tue Jan 28th, 2014, 09:43 AM
Assuming Ralph is going to do that again... Ralph?

madvlad
Tue Jan 28th, 2014, 09:44 AM
Thanks once again to TFOG and Abate, you guys are awesome!

UHATEIT
Tue Jan 28th, 2014, 01:14 PM
Money wasn't the issue, I just didn't have the time. I'm planning on putting together a BBQ this summer. I'll try and do it earlier in the season as well. 8)

I wasn't saying money was the issue I know there just wasn't any time for it, but if we have more $ towards the BBQ we can have the bounce castle and strippers someone talked about in the BBQ thread :) Just busting everyone's chops :boobies:

~Barn~
Tue Jan 28th, 2014, 01:19 PM
Thanks once again to TFOG and Abate, you guys are awesome!

+1 :up:

bornwildnfree
Tue Jan 28th, 2014, 07:12 PM
If Ralph does not, we have a truck that can be used.

Nolan
Wed Jan 29th, 2014, 08:12 AM
If you have access to a semi with a flatbed, I'll drive.... :-)