PDA

View Full Version : Tires Tires Tires

BlueDevil
Wed Oct 15th, 2003, 10:11 AM
I have read a ton on tires and I decided I would have a little chat with you all about race tires.

Im running an 03 R6
I am using Mich M2 and S2 now and I love them. But in the race tire area my experiece is limited to these. I have ridden many sets of street tires but now I need info and advice on race tires.

Looks like TFog will be my hook up since they have many types and offer (Except Mich M2/S2's) at a discount for a new racer with proof of completion of the MRA class.

Anyway, So far Im thinking Metz MEZ Slicks or Ren Sport RS2's

I have heard the Dun 208GP are pretty good as well but a bit more $.
I know many are fans of the SuperCorsas as well but they seem a bit steep in price at this time.

Now having ridden the Mich M2 and S2's I am happy with them and like them very much. However, so far I cant get a hold of them in my searches.

So Id like your oppinions on these tires and of course where U get your hook ups. (I will be using some take offs for track days but will be going a set of new tires for race weekends.) So Ill need to know where to get the types U recommend and approx price.

Thank you for your suggestions and ideas.

D

Hoopty
Wed Oct 15th, 2003, 10:31 AM
Try searching for Pilot Race, instead of M2, S2... :)

I have used last years Pilot Race (liked them), BT001 Race (liked them), and Metzeler slicks (liked them too). :D They all kick ass compared to street tires. I don't know enough about them to really know a difference though. :oops: If anything, the Pilot Race seemed to take a little longer than the others to heat up.

yakuza
Wed Oct 15th, 2003, 10:38 AM
Pretty much all tire brands are available from the trackside vendors, (almost) all of whom have local shops. Vanmar (Mark Schellinger) is the local Michelin vendor and can probably get you your Michelins if thats what you're after.

I'd recommend buying your tires at the track, they'll mount them up for you right there, and they're as good a price as you'll get pretty much anywhere. Plus you're supporting the guys that support our racing.

I'm a fan of the Metzeler/Pirelli DOT tires, haven't tried the slicks yet and haven't tried many other brands of tires. The M/P seem to suit my riding style well, although I might be trying some Bridgestones next year.

Keep in mind different tire brands have different profiles, and can thus change your bikes geometry. In particular I think the Michelin's have a taller profile, so you'd need to lower your front end a few (3 or 4, I think) millimeters to regain your desired geometry.

Hope that helps.

Wed Oct 15th, 2003, 11:06 AM
I found the Bridgestones work great for me. Plus at $275 a set my wallet likes them too.

Hutch
Wed Oct 15th, 2003, 11:06 AM
I was just thinking about posting a message about this very subject. What is the average life expectancy of a tire (miles?), barring too many burnouts! I have Bridgestone Battlax BT010 on my bike (came with it stock). I haven't been impressed, but I have no basis for comparison. It just seems they wore out too soon. My back tire is a slick! I have put just over 5000 miles on my bike. Where do people go to get good tires and which ones? I read an article recently that said you basically can't go wrong with any of them, but I don't buy that. :?

Kim-n-Dean
Wed Oct 15th, 2003, 11:11 AM
I have put just over 5000 miles on my bike (tires).

Wish I could get 5,000 out of mine!!!

Hutch
Wed Oct 15th, 2003, 11:19 AM
I have put just over 5000 miles on my bike (tires).

Wish I could get 5,000 out of mine!!!

Is that good? I guess it is time to go shopping. Have you already replaced the tread on you and Kim's bikes? I noticed last time (in Estes this past weekend) your tires were looking good. How often (mileage wise) do you normally have to replace tires? :?

Wed Oct 15th, 2003, 11:26 AM
I was just thinking about posting a message about this very subject. What is the average life expectancy of a tire (miles?), barring too many burnouts! I have Bridgestone Battlax BT010 on my bike (came with it stock). I haven't been impressed, but I have no basis for comparison. It just seems they wore out too soon. My back tire is a slick! I have put just over 5000 miles on my bike. Where do people go to get good tires and which ones? I read an article recently that said you basically can't go wrong with any of them, but I don't buy that. :?

5000 miles is great for a sport tire. Most people are getting 4000. I have some TLR riders only getting 2500 miles out of their Dunlop 208s, which is a great tire.

It all depends on how you are riding and compound of the tire. There are tires you will get more miles out of, harder compounds, but you will have less grip. You are seeing the norm for miles in a BT010 as you would in a Dunlop208 or Michelin Pilot.

Kim-n-Dean
Wed Oct 15th, 2003, 11:29 AM
Have you already replaced the tread on you and Kim's bikes? I noticed last time (in Estes this past weekend) your tires were looking good. How often (mileage wise) do you normally have to replace tires? :?

I've replaced my rear already. Kim's is real close. I think the fronts are getting close too. My FZR only got about 2500 to 3000. Maybe it was the 120 deg. weather.

Hoopty
Wed Oct 15th, 2003, 11:56 AM
Please keep in mind that street and race tires are quite different. :) 5000 out of a BT010 seems about normal, that's about what I was getting on my SV. BIkes with more HP will go through tires (more specifically rear tires) faster than smaller bikes though. It depends alot on how you ride them though. I can wear out the sides on race tires on the CBR in 1 practice day, 1 race day. The longer it lasts, the less sticky it's gonna be, you just have to decide what you want in a tire. :)

yakuza
Wed Oct 15th, 2003, 01:01 PM
I found the Bridgestones work great for me. Plus at $275 a set my wallet likes them too.

Yup, cheapest race tires I'm aware of. I haven't tried any yet, I've heard mention that geometry changes are necessary to compensate for a different front profile. Do you have any input on that?

Hutch
Wed Oct 15th, 2003, 01:09 PM
Have you already replaced the tread on you and Kim's bikes? I noticed last time (in Estes this past weekend) your tires were looking good. How often (mileage wise) do you normally have to replace tires? :?

I've replaced my rear already. Kim's is real close. I think the fronts are getting close too. My FZR only got about 2500 to 3000. Maybe it was the 120 deg. weather.

That was going to be my next question...my front tire looks almost new, back is totally shot. Is it acceptable to just replace the rear, and keep running on the front until it wears out? That will determine the tire(s) I end up buying. What should I expect to pay for a Bridgestone Battlax BT010 190/50ZR17 rear tire?

Boy Scout
Wed Oct 15th, 2003, 01:31 PM
What is the average life expectancy of a tire (miles?)
As you've read, there isn't just one answer to this question. Here's my experience from my first set of tires on an F4i for whatever it's worth. I'm not a racer and didn't really start going to the track until after this set of tires. Most of these miles are in the city (commuting), but I did put on a few on the highway and in the canyons. This was also my first sportbike (i.e. I wasn't pushing like more seasoned sportbike riders). I am expecting less from my second set of tires (D208s) due to how and where I ride now. Factors to consider when evaluating experiences: size of bike, time of riding (summer/winter), style of riding (easy/hard), where ridden (city, highway, track, canyons, etc.), etc. All of these factors and others can have a significant impact on tire life (e.g. 1 hard day at the track vs. several months of commuting).

D207 Front: 6100 miles August through May (i.e. mostly winter, no track, few canyons). Wasn't shot yet, but got a nail.

D207 Rear: 8800 miles, August through July (city, canyons, 1 (first) track day). Belts starting to show in center.

Hoopty
Wed Oct 15th, 2003, 02:12 PM
Bob, get another BT010 for the rear and you'll be fine. I normaly go through 2 rears to 1 front tire. Also, if you'd like a longer lasting tire, check out the BT020 for the rear, leave an 010 on the front though. The 020 is still plenty sticky for the street, hell I even used them a bit on the track. They will last considerably longer than the 010. It's always wise to have at least if not stickier tire on the front though, hence the reason I say stick with the 010 front. I know alot of guys that are into sport-touring that use this combo, they all like it. :up:

Wed Oct 15th, 2003, 02:16 PM

Yup, cheapest race tires I'm aware of. I haven't tried any yet, I've heard mention that geometry changes are necessary to compensate for a different front profile. Do you have any input on that?

I have not seen too many cases of having to make geometry changes. Most likely you will have to soften your suspension dampning. The carcass on Bridgestones are more stiff than other brands.

Being stiffer when you hit a bump more of that energy is passed on to the suspension. Compared to a tire with a softer carcass that will absorb more of that energy. Hope this explains it for you. Feel free to ask any other ??? you may have.

BlueDevil
Wed Oct 15th, 2003, 02:34 PM
Well this thread was to be about "race" tires but we can cover both for everyone to get some value.

I get about 3K miles on my Pilot Sports (R1) The R1 destroys tires and this is with a lot of track time on them as well. Street only they will last a lot longer.

Now race wise...... Are the Bridge Race better than their BT street series tire? I am NOT a fan of that street tire at all. It seems very flat and doesnt roll over well. However, we all know race tires are much diff. Same on the Dun 207/208 (Street) To flat and dont roll over well. (Personal .02) But the GP versions have a VERY different design to them, But I have not ridden them yet. The wallet is important but so is having a good set up for me that will keep me competitive. I believe I will be giving the Metz a try. TFog has them....Cheap, and I have ridden the RS2's a time or 2 in the past. Id like to go with the SuperCorsas but they are real proud of those babys. $$$ !!!

Cant seem to get on Vanmars web site today but Ill keep trying.

SEAN: What do U have avail? U right down the street. Can you PM me some prices of any of these set ups? Please include mounting fees On and off the bike.......

Thanks for the thoughts so far. Keep them coming.

yakuza
Thu Oct 16th, 2003, 09:24 AM
I have not seen too many cases of having to make geometry changes. Most likely you will have to soften your suspension dampning. The carcass on Bridgestones are more stiff than other brands.

Being stiffer when you hit a bump more of that energy is passed on to the suspension. Compared to a tire with a softer carcass that will absorb more of that energy. Hope this explains it for you. Feel free to ask any other ??? you may have.

Thanks Sean. I'm curious what makes the carcass more stiff, as you'd think the steel belted Metzelers would be more stiff than a nylon belted Dunlop, right? Or maybe I have no clue on tire manufacturing, which is more likely. :lol: