PDA

View Full Version : Possible Fraud on student Loan

grafix
Sun Mar 2nd, 2014, 12:29 PM
So my ex girlfriend used my information and "electronically" signed my name for a student loan back in 2007. I'll admit i co-signed on 1 but the other 2, i think she may have just filled out the information without me and illegally signed my name. Now its 2014, and i had to give Sallie Mae almost 9k to get my name off as a co-signer. I Spoke to them to ask them about when the student loans were signed because i remember signing 1, but the other 2 i don't remember. Anyways, is there anyway I can sue her for fraud since i technically did not have to be there for her to sign any of this especially since she had access to all of my information from the first one?

This would probably have to be done back in Ohio where it took place, but any thoughts or idea's would be helpful. that 9k would have helped me pay for my recent injuries hospital payments.

All wanted to do was try and help someone i cared about and this is what it turned into. Never again will i co-sign anything for anyone, not even when i'm married. I'll buy it and put it in my name, but i will never be liable for someone elses finances.

Ninja2
Sun Mar 2nd, 2014, 12:40 PM
Sorry to hear.
Without being familiar with OH law, I still think you should. Maybe also check with police and DA first bc it should also be a criminal offense, and the burden of proof is higher (beyond reasonable doubt vs preponderance of evidence). This way it is already proven when filing civil claim. Just a thought...

FZRguy
Mon Mar 3rd, 2014, 08:08 PM
Are you saying your ex has defualted on the loans and they are trying to collect from you?

Ezzzzy1
Tue Mar 4th, 2014, 01:39 AM
Are you saying your ex has defualted on the loans and they are trying to collect from you?

That he "co-signed" on. Might happen when someone forges your signature for a loan :shock:

Disclaimer: I wasnt there but I am going off the original post.

FZRguy
Tue Mar 4th, 2014, 03:04 PM
Well, he didn't say. Wouldn't make much sense to pay off a loan that is current.

Ninja2
Tue Mar 4th, 2014, 10:17 PM
Could impact possibility of future loan or mortgage applications due to income to debt ratio even if gf didn't default.

Skitz
Tue Mar 4th, 2014, 11:11 PM
Talk to lawyer...

Cars-R-Coffins
Thu Mar 13th, 2014, 04:37 PM
Life lessons cost money, good ones cost lots.