PDA

View Full Version : Who has been to Puerto Rico

Captain Obvious
Wed Mar 5th, 2014, 10:25 PM
Any recommendations on things to do.

So far I am thinking the observatory, rum factory, couple museums and sit on the beach and do nothing. Since the wifey is preggers and my 18 month old is coming, I don't plan on scuba or any of the too active events, but who has been and what did you enjoy?

I am still looking around for places, but we plan on half the trip on the beach and the other half somewhere in San Juan.

Wrider
Wed Mar 5th, 2014, 10:48 PM
Haven't been there myself, but a buddy went recently and was guided around by a local, so I can get his take, plus I work with a native Puerto Rican I can ask.

Matrix
Thu Mar 6th, 2014, 08:27 AM
You can spend an entire day walking around old San Juan. Its a cool city and you can mix in the Bacardi Run Factory tour. :eyebrows:

~Barn~
Thu Mar 6th, 2014, 09:18 AM
Great thread! I was just considering taking my parents and the wife here for a bit of family vay-cay, so your timing is awesome!

Jmetz
Thu Mar 6th, 2014, 09:29 AM
I've passed through a couple times. I liked it, would love to spend more then a couple days some time.

MarkT
Thu Mar 6th, 2014, 10:12 AM
Been there quite a few times, granted not in the last decade or so...

Make friends with a local, preferably surfer type, have him/her show you the really cool stuff in the jungles, ie waterfalls, pools, etc. all the hidden spots that tourists never see. Thats where PR really shines.

mdub
Thu Mar 6th, 2014, 11:04 AM
I was thinking of visiting the potential if ever future 51st state. But heard of stories of parties on beaches with a lot drinks. Then later finding out your organs have been harvested. So I'll go some other time...

Sparker
Thu Mar 6th, 2014, 12:24 PM
I was there a year or so ago and San Juan is pretty fun. Old San Juan. Lots of cool shops to visit and two old forts that are fun to walk around in. If you are into Cigars, there is a place there called Kek. Awesome Sumatra and Cameroon wrapped cigars. Could spend a few days there and not see it all.

Schiff32
Thu Mar 6th, 2014, 02:07 PM
From my SIL who grew up there... The towns of Rincon and Isabella(northwest coast) are cool, rainforest (yunque) on the east. An awesome little island is called Icacos which you can day trip to on a tour or pay some guy with a boat. Www.puertoricodaytrips.com/icacos. We went to thewaterfrontrestaurant.weebly.com which had great views and food.

derekm
Sat Mar 22nd, 2014, 03:22 PM
my wife had a layover about 9 mos before our first was born. Aguadilla(sp?) was cool and we beach bummed at crash boat beach. def need to go back(I've been snipped)!