PDA

View Full Version : Generic Driver for New Monitors - WHY????

Kim-n-Dean
Mon Mar 17th, 2014, 01:58 PM
I bought an ASUS VS278 and it doesn't come with drivers. Their website doesn't have them either. I contacted their tech support and got someone who doesn't speak English. I basically asked why there are no drivers and why does it use the MS Generic driver, which is a 2006 driver. Seems pretty old to me. They answered that the monitor uses the generic driver. No shit, really?!? You should see their entire response. Clearly, someone who doesn't know how to read or write English.

So, I returned it and bought an LG 27EA33. Same deal, no drivers. Contacted LG tech support with the same question. I got the same fucking response! They completely ignored most of my email.

Anyone know why a lot of these monitors don't have drivers? And, am I getting the best performance with a 2006 driver? This LG looks like crap. You can see all the dots that make up the screen.

I'm on Win7 64 with a Quadro K4000 video card. What's the deal?!?!?!?

Generic
Mon Mar 17th, 2014, 02:14 PM
I've not installed a monitor driver in years, Win7 typically picks them up properly. Is it not displaying at the proper resolution or offering the proper res for you?

06R1
Mon Mar 17th, 2014, 02:21 PM
Is the box you are connected to a custom build or is it a major manufacturer like Dell or HP? If its a Dell, you can check http://downloads.dell.com and search for desktop or laptop (depending on if you have it hooked up as a secondary) or check the video card manufacturers web site for the latest.

Kim-n-Dean
Mon Mar 17th, 2014, 02:31 PM
I've not installed a monitor driver in years, Win7 typically picks them up properly. Is it not displaying at the proper resolution or offering the proper res for you?

Is the box you are connected to a custom build or is it a major manufacturer like Dell or HP? If its a Dell, you can check http://downloads.dell.com and search for desktop or laptop (depending on if you have it hooked up as a secondary) or check the video card manufacturers web site for the latest.Why would a video card manufacturer supply a monitor driver?

See, this is exactly what I'm talking about...

I'll try this again... My question is; Why do monitor manufactures use a 2006 driver? I'm talking about manufacturers that don't supply a driver, nor do they have one on their website. I'm quite familiar with manually or automatically installing a driver!

rforsythe
Mon Mar 17th, 2014, 02:43 PM
...Because you don't really need one? The computer would likely have a color correction profile for your screen, otherwise it's just telling the video card what color to make each pixel (which is then passed to the monitor), and that's a very straightforward communication that doesn't really need special sauce. It's the PC->vid card that requires the right interactions between the OS and the hardware. Card -> monitor has been quite standardized for a long time now.

If you are seeing pixelation, then get a better screen. A software driver isn't going to squish them closer together for you. If the colors are way off, either calibrate it or buy a better screen that comes factory calibrated (Dell has some decent calibrated LCD displays, for example). The calibration is what will set the ultimate color accuracy, once you've made it past the actual construction of the display.

Look for a screen with the highest resolution and smallest dot pitch you can afford, that dot pitch number refers to distance between pixels. Big screen + small DP = high resolution, big screen + big DP = larger image of a lower resolution (DP directly translates to pixels in a given inch of screen real estate). Then calibrate that mofo if it hasn't been done at the factory. Profit!

~Barn~
Mon Mar 17th, 2014, 03:05 PM
Haha... "profit". :lol:

Kim-n-Dean
Mon Mar 17th, 2014, 03:14 PM
...Because you don't really need one? The computer would likely have a color correction profile for your screen, otherwise it's just telling the video card what color to make each pixel (which is then passed to the monitor), and that's a very straightforward communication that doesn't really need special sauce. It's the PC->vid card that requires the right interactions between the OS and the hardware. Card -> monitor has been quite standardized for a long time now.

If you are seeing pixelation, then get a better screen. A software driver isn't going to squish them closer together for you. If the colors are way off, either calibrate it or buy a better screen that comes factory calibrated (Dell has some decent calibrated LCD displays, for example). The calibration is what will set the ultimate color accuracy, once you've made it past the actual construction of the display.

Look for a screen with the highest resolution and smallest dot pitch you can afford, that dot pitch number refers to distance between pixels. Big screen + small DP = high resolution, big screen + big DP = larger image of a lower resolution (DP directly translates to pixels in a given inch of screen real estate). Then calibrate that mofo if it hasn't been done at the factory. Profit!Yeah, I know all that...

I've had monitors not look so good until I install the driver. The LG has that same "pre-driver" pixely look. The ASUS looked incredible. Both monitors are a max res of 1920x1080 and have a pixle size of 0.311. So, why do they look so different? Is the LG a piece of crap? The LG also uses IPS, but that should be better than the ASUS.

Here's another thing; Some monitors have drivers, but not for 64bit, so you have to use the generic driver. That implies the factory driver is better than the generic. Perhaps, a calibration on the LG will fix it, but it's not a color issue I'm having.

What is recommended for cal on a computer monitor? I use a THX certified cal for my home theater stuff.

rforsythe
Mon Mar 17th, 2014, 03:15 PM
Can't remember the brand, but there is a little handheld deal that is relatively cheap. Google for it, you'll see it.

~Barn~
Mon Mar 17th, 2014, 03:16 PM
As an aside, Sony Bravias make wonderful PC displays. Win7 picks it up as a "Generic PnP monitor" and of course no drivers exist, but using a good ol' D-sub, I push 1920x1080 high definition video across to it. And because it's a "VGA" connection per-se, the TV responds just as typical monitor would; sleeping, waking and standby.

Kim-n-Dean
Mon Mar 17th, 2014, 03:21 PM
As an aside, Sony Bravias make wonderful PC displays. Win7 picks it up as a "Generic PnP monitor" and of course no drivers exist, but using a good ol' D-sub, I push 1920x1080 high definition video across to it. And because it's a "VGA" connection per-se, the TV responds just as typical monitor would; sleeping, waking and standby.I'm using DVI (LG) or Display Port (ASUS). Sony has always had great monitors!

My second monitor is an HP LV2311 connected to DVI. Wish I could get a 27" version of my LV2311. It looks amazing and has it's own driver...

birchyboy
Mon Mar 17th, 2014, 03:32 PM
I think it is most likely because most if not all monitors are now digital and the quality is more dependent on the video card than it used to be.

Why would a video card manufacturer supply a monitor driver?

All I have to offer is that LG says to use the latest video card driver for the best performance.

Although a monitor driver is not required, it may provide additional performance in certain cases. Typically, using the most up-to-date graphics card drivers is the most important task when installing a monitor.

Kim-n-Dean
Mon Mar 17th, 2014, 03:36 PM
I think it is most likely because most if not all monitors are now digital and the quality is more dependent on the video card than it used to be.

All I have to offer is that LG says to use the latest video card driver for the best performance.

[/FONT][/COLOR]That was in response to 06R1 saying check the video card website. My question is all about the monitor driver. ALL my drivers are up-to-date and kept that way. Those who know me say I'm quite anal!!

It looks like it all comes down to the LG is not as good as the ASUS. I'm pretty surprised by that!

Generic
Mon Mar 17th, 2014, 03:36 PM
http://www.overclock.net/t/1449564/ips-lg-27ea33-disappointed

I use an incredibly similar variation of this monitor at work (it may actually be the exact same one). But yeah, it's not a great monitor to be honest... It's cheap for a reason.

Honestly, if it was $200 for a 27" I wouldn't expect much out of it.

For a good 27" on that Quadro card I'd look at something more like this Dell Ultrasharp (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?gclid=CNTcmqzDmr0CFcURMwodemMALA&Item=N82E16824260111&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-LCD+%2f+LED+Monitors-_-N82E16824260111&ef_id=Upz3KwAAAMxoGAmK:20140317213615:s)

Generic
Mon Mar 17th, 2014, 03:39 PM
There also appear to be some 1920x1200 options around the $300 price point that are very nice.

birchyboy
Mon Mar 17th, 2014, 03:40 PM
That was in response to 06R1 saying check the video card website. My question is all about the monitor driver. ALL my drivers are up-to-date and kept that way. Those who know me say I'm quite anal!!

I understand that. I was trying to support what 06R1 said, which is inline with what LG has on their site, that the latest video card driver will likely give the best performance. LG probably doesn't make a driver for your monitor because it wouldn't offer any improvement.

Kim-n-Dean
Mon Mar 17th, 2014, 03:41 PM
http://www.overclock.net/t/1449564/ips-lg-27ea33-disappointed

Honestly, if it was $200 for a 27" I wouldn't expect much out of it.

For a good 27" on that Quadro card I'd look at something more like this Dell Ultrasharp (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?gclid=CNTcmqzDmr0CFcURMwodemMALA&Item=N82E16824260111&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-LCD+%2f+LED+Monitors-_-N82E16824260111&ef_id=Upz3KwAAAMxoGAmK:20140317213615:s)$250 for the LG. $300 for the ASUS. I'm taking this LG back and breaking out the bank book. The reviews were excellent, so the price was even more attractive.

Kim-n-Dean
Mon Mar 17th, 2014, 03:46 PM
I understand that. I was trying to support what 06R1 said, which is inline with what LG has on their site, that the latest video card driver will likely give the best performance. LG probably doesn't make a driver for your monitor because it wouldn't offer any improvement.All monitor manufactures say to update the video driver. No surprise there.

LG does make a driver for this monitor, but not for Win7 64. That's what started my original post. Perhaps, I should have asked, "what's the deal with no drivers for 64bit?"

Thanks everyone!!! I'm going to buy a better quality monitor, tonight!

blaircsf
Mon Mar 17th, 2014, 04:12 PM
The only thing a 'monitor driver' (usually just an inf) does is tell the operating system what model the monitor is and the supported resolutions. As long as the resolution of the monitor is shown under Windows you aren't missing anything.

Kim-n-Dean
Mon Mar 17th, 2014, 04:21 PM
The only thing a 'monitor driver' (usually just an inf) does is tell the operating system what model the monitor is and the supported resolutions. As long as the resolution of the monitor is shown under Windows you aren't missing anything.I was hoping this subject was winding down.

If the driver just coughs up the model number and res, can you tell me why my HP LV2311 and other monitors I have look like shit until I install their driver?

~Barn~
Mon Mar 17th, 2014, 04:32 PM
Placebo effect.

Kim-n-Dean
Mon Mar 17th, 2014, 04:34 PM
Placebo effect.http://www.cosportbikeclub.org/forums/images/smilies/newlaugh.gifIt's like octane boost. Every time someone pours that shit in their tank, I hear, "damn this thing is fast, now!" Because we all know that slowing down the burn makes more power...

~Barn~
Mon Mar 17th, 2014, 04:40 PM
Unless of course that model's driver really was providing things like its max refresh rate or allowed resolutions that your [then] video card wasn't able to surmise on its own. But I don't know which one is worse in that case, the chicken or the egg? But really..... a current video card is going to poll this from the hardware itself and adjust accordingly. And like somebody mentioned earlier, it's not like these are executable or anything, their essentially just text files.

If this behavior you saw from you HP LV2311 was several years ago, then yeah... there was probably validity to it, I just don't see a monitor "driver" being critical to the actual operation of the device with current day technology.

TurboGizzmo
Mon Mar 17th, 2014, 06:53 PM
The only thing a 'monitor driver' (usually just an inf) does is tell the operating system what model the monitor is and the supported resolutions. As long as the resolution of the monitor is shown under Windows you aren't missing anything.

This! It's only different if your monitor has extra fancy features.

Pending your running a modern OS with a modern video card. Older video cards don't have the feature sets to always identify newer screen sizes and resolutions correctly BUT you can always override them in display preferences.

Kim-n-Dean
Mon Mar 17th, 2014, 07:38 PM
Since modern equipment doesn't need a driver, what is in the eight-year-old driver by MicroSoft named "Generic PnP Monitor"? Why even load something that old?

These are the things that keep me awake at night!

rforsythe
Mon Mar 17th, 2014, 08:07 PM
Since modern equipment doesn't need a driver, what is in the eight-year-old driver by MicroSoft named "Generic PnP Monitor"? Why even load something that old?

These are the things that keep me awake at night!

Just generic .inf-like settings, since most of them follow the same set of standards these days (shit, they probably all come from the same 2 factories in Taiwan or Guyangzhuwongfu or whatever).

If this is what keeps you awake at night, I suggest smoking a legal J and getting some rest. :lol:

Kim-n-Dean
Mon Mar 17th, 2014, 08:21 PM
Just generic .inf-like settings, since most of them follow the same set of standards these days (shit, they probably all come from the same 2 factories in Taiwan or Guyangzhuwongfu or whatever).

If this is what keeps you awake at night, I suggest smoking a legal J and getting some rest. :lol:Only dopes use dope.

rforsythe
Mon Mar 17th, 2014, 08:45 PM
Yeah, but some of them have fantastic drivers for their displays.

Kim-n-Dean
Wed Mar 19th, 2014, 10:05 AM
Okay, so I got a better monitor. Well, I hope it's better. Should be here Monday.

It's a new monitor, Acer K272HUL. The full name is Acer K272HULbmiidp.

2560x1440, .233DP

Can't wait to see how it looks. Got a pretty good deal, too. $350 w/ free shipping. Normally $500 + shipping.

rforsythe
Wed Mar 19th, 2014, 10:18 AM
BUT DOES IT HAVE A DRIVER?!?!?! :cry:

Kim-n-Dean
Wed Mar 19th, 2014, 10:34 AM
BUT DOES IT HAVE A DRIVER?!?!?! :cry:It does. And, it's even a modern driver, dated 2/12/2014

~Barn~
Wed Mar 19th, 2014, 10:58 AM
All they did was open and resave the file to refresh the date-stamp. :D

birchyboy
Wed Mar 19th, 2014, 11:03 AM
It does. And, it's even a modern driver, dated 2/12/2014

For shits and giggles, try it first without installing the driver and then with the driver. Report back if the resolution or functionality is any better or worse :)

blaircsf
Wed Mar 19th, 2014, 11:25 AM
Without knowing exactly what looking 'like shit' entails, it's hard to guess. It most likely wouldn't come up at max resolution the first time, but that can be adjusted.

In case you were curious, here is the 'driver' for your new monitor:

; This is a Setup information file for monitors with ICM file;
; Copyright 2013 Acer International Electronic AG

[Version]
signature="$CHICAGO$"
Class=Monitor
ClassGuid={4D36E96E-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
Provider=%ACR%
CatalogFile=Acer K272HUL.cat
DriverVer=09/25/2013,1.0.0.0

[ControlFlags]
ExcludeFromSelect.nt=Monitor\ACR03DD

[DestinationDirs]
DefaultDestDir=11
03DD.CopyFiles=23

[SourceDisksNames]
1=%DiskName%,,,

[SourceDisksFiles]
Acer K272HUL.ICM=1

[Monitor_Service.Install]
DisplayName = %Monitor.SVCDESC%
ServiceType = 1 ; SERVICE_KERNEL_DRIVER
StartType = 3 ; SERVICE_DEMAND_START
ErrorControl = 1 ; SERVICE_ERROR_NORMAL
ServiceBinary = %12%\monitor.sys

[Manufacturer]
%ACR%=ACR,ntamd64

[ACR]
%03DD%=03DD.Install, Monitor\ACR03DD

[ACR.ntamd64]
%03DD%=03DD.Install, Monitor\ACR03DD

[03DD.Install]
DelReg=DEL_CURRENT_REG
AddReg=03DD.AddReg
Copyfiles=03DD.CopyFiles

[03DD.Install.Services]
AddService = monitor, %SPSVCINST_ASSOCSERVICE%,Monitor_Service.Install

[DEL_CURRENT_REG]
HKR,MODES
HKR,,MaxResolution
HKR,,DPMS
HKR,,ICMProfile

[03DD.AddReg]
HKR,"MODES\2560,1440",Mode1,,"15.0-99.0,23.0-76.0,+,+"
HKR,,MaxResolution,,"2560,1440"
HKR,,DPMS,,1
HKR,,ICMProfile,0,"Acer K272HUL.icm"

[03DD.CopyFiles]
Acer K272HUL.icm

[Strings]
SPSVCINST_ASSOCSERVICE = 0x00000002
Monitor.SVCDESC = "Microsoft Monitor Class Function Driver Service"

DiskName="Acer Monitor Acer K272HUL Installation Disk"
ACR="Acer Incorporated"

03DD="Acer K272HUL"

Not a lot to it, remove old monitor settings, add new (straight to 2560x1440).

Kim-n-Dean
Wed Mar 19th, 2014, 11:36 AM
All they did was open and resave the file to refresh the date-stamp. :DProbably!

For shits and giggles, try it first without installing the driver and then with the driver. Report back if the resolution or functionality is any better or worse :)As soon as win detects the monitor it will probably install the driver, as it's probably already in the win DB.

Without knowing exactly what looking 'like shit' entails, it's hard to guess. It most likely wouldn't come up at max resolution the first time, but that can be adjusted.

In case you were curious, here is the 'driver' for your new monitor:

Not a lot to it, remove old monitor settings, add new (straight to 2560x1440)....and, Barn was right. The date on the file is 2/12/2014. The date in the file is 9/25/2013...

rforsythe
Wed Mar 19th, 2014, 12:00 PM
It does. And, it's even a modern driver, dated 2/12/2014

Well thank you Baby Jesus. We're saved. :bow:

Kim-n-Dean
Mon Mar 24th, 2014, 03:14 PM
Got the monitor today. Got dayum, this think is B-E-A-UTIFUL!!! 2560x1440, I highly recommend it!! I can zoom all the way out of a 42x30 drawing and can damn near read the whole drawing. Phenomenal!! Even the PiP looks great.

If your nose touches the screen you can barely see the pixels. Since, I sit about 18-24 inches away, this will do just fine!!