PDA

View Full Version : Monitor vs. TV

Kim-n-Dean
Mon Mar 17th, 2014, 05:23 PM
The driver thread was fun, so here's another...

With TVs being so inexpensive and having huge resolution, why not use a TV as a monitor?

$300-$600 for a 27" monitor or $160 for a 32" TV. What's the deal?

Native
Mon Mar 17th, 2014, 05:29 PM
has drivers?

j0ker
Mon Mar 17th, 2014, 05:41 PM
Resolution.

Drano
Mon Mar 17th, 2014, 06:05 PM
I think for regular computer use an HDTV will work just fine, but gamers ideally want a low input delay rate in order to prevent ghosting. That may not be entirely possible with some of the lower end HDTVs.

Richie-Rich
Mon Mar 17th, 2014, 06:22 PM
I have used both plasma and LCD TV's for pc gaming for years! Works great!

Sport_Toorer
Mon Mar 17th, 2014, 07:07 PM
For gaming sure, but for anything other then casual web browsing the resolution isn't sufficient and text looks bad. I'm hoping the 4K HD TVs might make it possible.

Kim-n-Dean
Mon Mar 17th, 2014, 07:33 PM
For gaming sure, but for anything other then casual web browsing the resolution isn't sufficient and text looks bad. I'm hoping the 4K HD TVs might make it possible.Exactly right. I use CAD software all day and you definitely need hi-res. I was kidding when I started this one. I thought the "huge resolution" was the give-away.

rforsythe
Mon Mar 17th, 2014, 08:08 PM
Still, some people strap a 32" 1080P LCD TV to their computer and wonder why it looks like ass. It's still 1080 lines, stretched out. Math is hard for some folks.

Kim-n-Dean
Mon Mar 17th, 2014, 08:18 PM
2+2... FOOTBALL!!

WolFeYeZ
Mon Mar 17th, 2014, 11:04 PM
I use a Samsung 24 inch combo TV / LCD monitor. It kicks ass. TV looks really great on it too.

~Barn~
Tue Mar 18th, 2014, 10:14 AM
Still, some people strap a 32" 1080P LCD TV to their computer and wonder why it looks like ass. <Snip...>

Odd.... My picture quality on my 46" Sony looks outstanding. :dunno:

Whether it's basic Windows tasking and applications, or web surfing, or RealFlight R/C simulation with graphics settings cranked up to 11, it all looks great. What's kinda funny and ironic though, is that when I first attempted this setup, I tried ad nauseam to feed the PC signal to it with an HDMI cable [because I figured it would be best] and it never worked. Fonting was fuzzy, images within IE looked like shit, even the Windows "positioning" within the screen borders was constantly fucking up with portions of the desktop shifting themselves out of bounds and thus out of view. It wasn't until I reverted back to a D-sub connection, that everything finally started looking awesome. I wonder if the TV itself somehow accommodates the fact that it's receiving a PC signal and makes everything clear, focused and sharp.

This is an old picture - and not even my current PC anymore - but I'm still 100% happy with the video quality.

https://gkioxg.dm1.livefilestore.com/y2pcTvnExWrHRn4-rw1LbT0BJYAKKdBVTyA9YccE9rIEBigEUpFUDppcJ1LY9Ftv3s IlBKFQcj1PPekL1Wpu_ol5Wv03th06167YkMJ2shL6WI/P8181091.JPG

Kim-n-Dean
Tue Mar 18th, 2014, 10:22 AM
... RealFlight R/C simulation with graphics settings cranked up to 11, it all looks great.That's cool, ya still playing with the simulator? I want to install it on my new machine, but I'm afraid to get it installed and the update no longer works because of it's age. Do you happen to know if the update for old software still works? I realize it will only update to the point that they stopped revising it, but that's all I need. I guess I can email Great Planes. One things is for sure, this new box will run it cranked up to 13!

~Barn~
Tue Mar 18th, 2014, 10:27 AM
Are you talking about the G4 to G4.5 upgrade? If so, yeah... It worked fine for me. Last time I installed the software, I didn't have to download the add-ons since I had the files saved locally and I just dropped them into the install directory, but the DL and install of the 4.5 release worked like a champ. :yes:

Kim-n-Dean
Tue Mar 18th, 2014, 11:03 AM
Are you talking about the G4 to G4.5 upgrade? If so, yeah... It worked fine for me. Last time I installed the software, I didn't have to download the add-ons since I had the files saved locally and I just dropped them into the install directory, but the DL and install of the 4.5 release worked like a champ. :yes:Cool! They're on version 7 now and I wasn't sure if they allow old versions to update to the point where they stopped revising that version. Sounds like they do. I'll be installing it tonight. I'm getting a little rusty with my helis...

Aaron
Tue Mar 18th, 2014, 12:24 PM
I think for regular computer use an HDTV will work just fine, but gamers ideally want a low input delay rate in order to prevent ghosting. That may not be entirely possible with some of the lower end HDTVs.
The monitor you let me borrow better have a low input delay rate. I am competitive in single player 15 year old video games I'll have you know.

Drano
Tue Mar 18th, 2014, 06:02 PM
The monitor you let me borrow better have a low input delay rate. I am competitive in single player 15 year old video games I'll have you know.

You better believe it! When I bought that thing new, I bought it because it was one of the best, and offered a 2MS response time. I don't use any monitors with higher response times than that.

Most HDTVs hover around 8MS, which isn't bad, but if the gaming action is fast-paced, it will blur and lag out, which is why guys playing CoD will throw their controllers when they get pwned by somebody they didn't see. ;)

Aaron
Tue Mar 18th, 2014, 06:51 PM
What about guys playing Command and Conquer, circa 2001?

TinkerinWstuff
Wed Mar 19th, 2014, 09:39 PM
I had a home theater PC built for movies and streaming on my 52" LCD. Works fantastic. Can't speak for input lag as I don't do gaming or anything but web streaming/Skype with it.