PDA

View Full Version : Home Security Systems

FZRguy
Fri Apr 4th, 2014, 09:58 PM
I've been looking at wireless home security systems with DIY install from a number of companies. Generally no upfront costs for equipment, 3 year contract for monitoring averages around $40 per month depending on features. FrontPoint seems to be one of the better companies. Does anyone have exp with them or other companies?

Gas Pumper
Fri Apr 4th, 2014, 10:23 PM
Something to keep in mind is where the "cellular part" of the system is. Many companies integrate it with the pad, and all a burgar has to do is kick in a delayed entry door, and destory the pad.

Make sure, whatever you choose, that an "opening" signal is sent, then a disarm signal is sent. That way, is the cellular part is destroyed, the monitoring service gets a signal that something opened, but no disarm signal was sent. Therefore, cops on the way.

FZRguy
Fri Apr 4th, 2014, 10:57 PM
The GE gear sends an alarm if the pad is smashed. Pretty niffty features compared to the old wired units.

http://www.frontpointsecurity.com/equipment/ideas

salsashark
Sat Apr 5th, 2014, 08:39 AM
Point of order... There's no such thing as a free alarm. $40/month for monitoring is high. If you're not paying for your equipment up front, you're paying for it on the back end through inflated monitoring costs.

If you own your house and are planning on keeping long term. Pay for your equipment and have a company that won't rope you into a contract do your monitoring.

Check out http://www.homesecuritycenters.net

Local family owned CO company. The owner is a stand up, honest guy.

When I was doing commercial property management, I had all of my shopping centers monitored by them.

Kim-n-Dean
Sat Apr 5th, 2014, 09:44 AM
I really don't want to talk about my specifics over the internet, so hit me up John and I'll give you the info for the guy that did ours. He gave me everything at his cost and I installed it as he programmed the panel. $30/month and the parts were cheaper than anything I could find.

Be careful of people selling the old G3 cell transmitters. Sometime this year they are all changing to G4 and G3 will no longer work. Mount the transmitter with your equipment box (which should be hidden). Control panel can be anywhere, even in plain site.

birchyboy
Sat Apr 5th, 2014, 11:24 AM
I bought a system through Costco; the keypad, a few door sensors and motion sensor was $100. The monitoring is $30/month for 3 years. The equipment is the same wireless hardware (uses ZWave) as Vivint uses and was very easy to setup.

Aaron
Sat Apr 5th, 2014, 12:15 PM
To me the monitoring isn't very important at all, I'd be more interested in the stickers/yard signs, and that it alarms loudly when activated. First to wake you from a dead sleep so you've got the tactical advantage, and second so neighbors can hear it.

As as far as the monitoring goes, by the time the cops get there the bad guys will be gone or dead, and in case of a fire, the fire department will just be there to make sure your smoldering remains don't catch the neighbor's house on fire.

The Black Knight
Sat Apr 5th, 2014, 07:12 PM
Here's a proper Home Security System:

:D

Dogs

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh581/DNA_SWIRL_777/BLACK_WOLF__zps5f0ee96e.jpg (http://s1253.photobucket.com/user/DNA_SWIRL_777/media/BLACK_WOLF__zps5f0ee96e.jpg.html)

and if they get through this ^^^^^

use this

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh581/DNA_SWIRL_777/MP45_zpse4f5cbf6.jpg (http://s1253.photobucket.com/user/DNA_SWIRL_777/media/MP45_zpse4f5cbf6.jpg.html)

FZRguy
Sat Apr 5th, 2014, 09:10 PM
Agreed on the monitoring, overpriced and if the system sends me a text message, I can call local dispatch myself. I'd rather buy the equipment and find a web-based interface that will send a text message to my phone. Don't know if there is such a service.

FZRguy
Sat Apr 5th, 2014, 09:19 PM
Also, I rent a duplex so a high $ perm installation is not what I'm looking for.

FZRguy
Sat Apr 5th, 2014, 11:28 PM
Point of order... There's no such thing as a free alarm. $40/month for monitoring is high. If you're not paying for your equipment up front, you're paying for it on the back end through inflated monitoring costs.

If you own your house and are planning on keeping long term. Pay for your equipment and have a company that won't rope you into a contract do your monitoring.

Check out http://www.homesecuritycenters.net

Local family owned CO company. The owner is a stand up, honest guy.

When I was doing commercial property management, I had all of my shopping centers monitored by them.

I like local. Might have them out for an estimate.

Zanatos
Sun Apr 6th, 2014, 08:51 AM
I agree a system that texts you is much better than a system where you have to pay for monitoring. In Aurora, if a monitoring company like ADT calls the police - they will not respond. Only the property owner can request a police response. Aurora PD claims this is to prevent sending cops to hundreds of false alarms. Also - if you have the cops go to your house more than once or twice in a year, the cops will send you a bill.

Aaron
Sun Apr 6th, 2014, 09:11 AM
The average person cannot even comprehend the amount of false burglary alarms cops get. In 4.5 years on patrol, I responded to thousands of burglary alarms. At least 2-3 a night. In 4.5 years, exactly 2 were real. In the first, the monitoring company didn't even call, a neighbor did from hearing the alarm. And in the second, 45 minutes had passed from the time of the break-in to the time of first police unit on scene.

Kim-n-Dean
Sun Apr 6th, 2014, 09:24 AM
I agree a system that texts you is much better than a system where you have to pay for monitoring. In Aurora, if a monitoring company like ADT calls the police - they will not respond. Only the property owner can request a police response. Aurora PD claims this is to prevent sending cops to hundreds of false alarms. Also - if you have the cops go to your house more than once or twice in a year, the cops will send you a bill.That's the first I've heard of that. Our alarm company calls the house, if no answer they call our cell. They say they are required to make two calls before the cops will come out. I live in Aurora and have never been told I have to call the cops. I'll be checking into this today...

Kim-n-Dean
Sun Apr 6th, 2014, 09:38 AM
Damn! Now that I think about it, a friend of ours who lives in Aurora had their alarm go off. The alarm company couldn't get in touch with them so they called the cops. The stupid fucking pigs told the alarm company that they wouldn't come out until they could reach the owner. The pigs said they wouldn't come out unless there was someone there to unlock the door. What? Are you fucking serious?!?!? Unlock the door?!? It's a break in you stupid fuck!!

When our RV, and four months later our house, was robbed I had to argue with the fuzz to come out and make a report both times. They are a bunch of USELESS adrenaline junky ego maniacs!!

Aaron
Sun Apr 6th, 2014, 01:03 PM
With an attitude like that I'm glad your shit keeps getting broken into and stolen.

Kim-n-Dean
Sun Apr 6th, 2014, 02:48 PM
With an attitude like that I'm glad your shit keeps getting broken into and stolen.What attitude did I display? The cops response in that case was logical to you? Thanks for playing along and thanks for wishing ill-will upon me. Your post helps prove my point about "to protect and serve".

I don't pay a whole lot of attention, but from the few things I've read, I'm guessing that you're some type of law enforcement. Perhaps, you're even a rent-a-pig, I don't know. If you are some type of a 'real' public servant, shouldn't you at least fake that you care? I state some facts and you are happy that I've been robbed, twice. Shouldn't you reassure me that "most" LEOs care? If the cops showed even the remotest sign that they gave a fuck, perhaps I'd have a different point of view. There are several cops that live in my neighborhood and they're all cool at the bar-b-que, but if their wife burns their toast before they head to work, and you're the first person they pull over... ...you're fucked!!!!! Just more facts... Just like our politicians, no one cares!! It's all a power trip!

Aaron
Sun Apr 6th, 2014, 03:12 PM
I guess we'll call it karma. But my house has never been broken into. I've also never disrespected your profession. Now correlation doesn't equal causation of course, but maybe your life might be better if you started treating people better. It's probably worth a shot.

Kim-n-Dean
Sun Apr 6th, 2014, 03:28 PM
I guess we'll call it karma.What? Karma? Maybe I'm a priest and have just had bad luck.
But my house has never been broken into.Neither have any of my neighbors, but they don't have a sixty-thousand dollar fifth-wheel or a forty-thousand dollar boat in their driveways. (was that pretentious?) My alarm and insurance companies, along with the cops, tell me that I'm a target because of that. You're probably right, though. It's karma.
I've also never disrespected your profession.When did I disrespect your profession? I stated my experience. Should I be happy that the Aurora police don't care that I've been robbed? Should I be happy that I had to force them to come out and make a report? My insurance company requires a report and they know it, so thanks for being assholes and making it a challenge!
Now correlation doesn't equal causation of course, but maybe your life might be better if you started treating people better. It's probably worth a shot.Treat people better?!? Are you just making shit up to sound like you have some intelligence? Okay, fine. I'll take a stab at this one... So, the next time I'm robbed, I will give a monetary tip to the robbers (beyond what they've stolen) and I will donate even more tax money to the cops who don't give a shit that I've been violated.

BTW - what exactly do you do. Real fuzz or wanna-be?

Captain Obvious
Mon Apr 7th, 2014, 04:21 PM
And after that detour, back to the original topic......

Self monitoring would be nice. Cameras / lights with audio option all piped to cell #. I can call the police to report a break in on my own. Has anyone found a linked self managing system? Course there is less money in producing that, but..