PDA

View Full Version : HPR April 28th

theMayor
Mon Apr 7th, 2014, 10:53 AM
Anyone want to go? I've never been to a track, but I've been tossing the idea around for a while... Mainly just want to meet-up with people that may be a little more experienced and prepared... Also, unless I can find a trailer in the next few weeks, I may need a ride? ;)

madvlad
Mon Apr 7th, 2014, 12:09 PM
I may be in for that, hope to have the bike completely finished within the week.

MarkT
Mon Apr 7th, 2014, 12:28 PM
I may be in for that, hope to have the bike completely finished within the week.

woot! wtg bro!

mdlb
Mon Apr 7th, 2014, 02:48 PM
Assuming weather is good, I will be out there trying out my new to me prepped SV650

theMayor
Mon Apr 7th, 2014, 11:23 PM
Yeah, this is completely depending on weather for me. But as long as it's not wet, I'll be there. I've been waiting 2 years to hit a track. The prices back East just didn't make it feasible. Plus, I had the Tail of the Dragon in my back yard... and on weekdays, it was my own private track :)

madvlad
Tue Apr 8th, 2014, 01:52 AM
Track is really fun and safer than the canyons will ever be, you won't see street the same ever again my friend. It's one of the greatest addictions. Just make sure to hydrate well cause you sweat like a mofo while riding at the track. You can rent a trailer at u-haul for about $15 a day if you have something to haul away with. Also no coolant at all at our tracks just FIY. Distilled water and water wetter.

rockerphotographer
Tue Apr 8th, 2014, 10:19 AM
Track is really fun and safer than the canyons will ever be, you won't see street the same ever again my friend. It's one of the greatest addictions. Just make sure to hydrate well cause you sweat like a mofo while riding at the track. You can rent a trailer at u-haul for about $15 a day if you have something to haul away with. Also no coolant at all at our tracks just FIY. Distilled water and water wetter.

Very true on the addiction. I cringe when I have to ride the street anymore....

theMayor
Tue Apr 8th, 2014, 09:49 PM

Ahh, thank you. I didn't even think about renting one.

And I'm all set on the coolant swap. Besides removing mirrors, disconnecting/ taping lights, am I missing anything else, tech-wise?

WolFeYeZ
Tue Apr 8th, 2014, 10:44 PM
Ahh, thank you. I didn't even think about renting one.

And I'm all set on the coolant swap. Besides removing mirrors, disconnecting/ taping lights, am I missing anything else, tech-wise?

Tires with good tread and and brakes with good thickness.

Here are some quotes from HPR's website:

Technical Requirements

Anyone who enters the racing surface as a driver or passenger must wear a helmet. Helmets must be designed for car or motorcycle use, no other standards are required to be met – it’s your head, it’s up to you to decide which helmet is best to protect it. HPR does have a limited number of open face helmets for rent ($25) on days for cars only. Helmet rentals can be reserved on our website when you sign up for the Open Lapping Day. Because they are open face helmets, these rental helmets are not available to motorcycle riders.
While there will be no formal tech inspection required, HPR management reserves the right to inspect any vehicle and require correction of issues of concern.
All vehicles must be in good general operating condition with acceptable tire tread depth and brake lining thickness.
Vehicles must be free of fluid leaks and all body work and other accessories must be securely attached. Battery must be securely tied down.

Motorcycles

Water cooled motorcycles must not use any type of glycol in the cooling system. Water and “Water Wetter” is acceptable.
Motorcycles must have rear view mirrors either removed or covered with tape. HPR recognized instructors are exempted from this requirement.
Full face helmets are required. Hinged full face helmets are not allowed.
Motorcycle riders must wear full 1 piece or 2 piece leathers. 2 piece suits must zip all the way around at the waist. Textile suits are not allowed.
Boots that cover the ankle and gloves that cover the wrist are required.
Passengers are NOT allowed on ANY motorcycle.

More can be found here: http://highplainsraceway.com/drive-the-track/open-lapping-days-information/

In the next couple weeks you might want to try out IMI. Its very close and a great stepping stone for getting more comfortable with the bigger tracks. And its only $40 for the day. http://www.imimotorsports.com/

madvlad
Tue Apr 8th, 2014, 11:07 PM
I would flush your brake fluid if I was you, also make sure to have proper chain tension/lube. Brake pads need to be at least 50% life as of course the track is a lot more harsh than street riding. Also remember to run lower tire pressure at the track (each brand differs so depends what tire you're running). Maybe Rybo, Jim, Glenn, other more experienced track people have any other tips as well.

vort3xr6
Tue Apr 8th, 2014, 11:47 PM
I need to get a bike. Looking for 04+ with suspension and track bodywork. What ever happened with that bike in your garage Damir?

madvlad
Wed Apr 9th, 2014, 05:49 AM
I need to get a bike. Looking for 04+ with suspension and track bodywork. What ever happened with that bike in your garage Damir?

Still have it, she's almost ready, waiting on Gforce to call me when the last parts arrive. Going to do a track day or two and will decide whether to keep her or sell her.

KTemplarSC
Wed Apr 9th, 2014, 08:24 AM
19th ?

vort3xr6
Wed Apr 9th, 2014, 09:07 AM
Didn't you have a friends GSXR in there too that he wasn't sure he was going to keep?

WolFeYeZ
Wed Apr 9th, 2014, 09:43 AM
Didn't you have a friends GSXR in there too that he wasn't sure he was going to keep?

That is in my garage now man. He is still looking to get rid of it I think, but has been waiting until the weather gets nice so he can put water in it.

vort3xr6
Wed Apr 9th, 2014, 10:08 AM
That is in my garage now man. He is still looking to get rid of it I think, but has been waiting until the weather gets nice so he can put water in it.

Let me know. I am still waiting on the R1 to sell but would be interested.

madvlad
Wed Apr 9th, 2014, 10:16 AM
I'll ask him, I'm sure he'd be cool with you looking at it. My R6 is there too

theMayor
Sat Apr 12th, 2014, 12:59 PM
Picked up new Dunlop Q3's, new Galfer brake pads and SS lines, brake fluid, and water wetter today. Thanks for the tips, guys.

Is it wise to go ahead and sign up now? Or should I wait for the weather forecast?

Auron
Sat Apr 12th, 2014, 02:58 PM
Are there any schooling or orientation requirments? All I have is a certificate that I took a class with Mark Schellinger in 2007.

One-ops
Sat Apr 12th, 2014, 03:13 PM
That will work just fine

Bueller
Sun Apr 13th, 2014, 12:18 PM
Are there any schooling or orientation requirments? All I have is a certificate that I took a class with Mark Schellinger in 2007.

Nothing required @ HPR, just make sure to attend riders meeting before the session starts, morning or afternoon. And if you have questions or concerns, ask.

theMayor
Tue Apr 15th, 2014, 04:25 PM
Is there ample shade? or is a canopy a "must-have"?

madvlad
Tue Apr 15th, 2014, 04:41 PM
Some people split garages but bring a canopy if you have one. No a very shade friendly spot for sure.

madvlad
Fri Apr 18th, 2014, 03:00 PM
Anyone want to split a garage with power for the 28th? I don't take much room with my stuff so 3 people max would be perfect (may have one person already in but I'll confirm on that)

ticktock4792
Fri Apr 18th, 2014, 10:04 PM
^ ill be in if i get the bike ready this week

Bueller
Sat Apr 19th, 2014, 06:51 AM
Headed out today for the afternoon session, and to watch some of the race school. The mock race is fun. Just like super street, you never know what will happen. :)

theMayor
Sat Apr 19th, 2014, 07:38 PM
Anyone want to split a garage with power for the 28th? I don't take much room with my stuff so 3 people max would be perfect (may have one person already in but I'll confirm on that)

What's the price? All I'd need a power strip for is my phone or camera... but I'd enjoy some shade and company.

madvlad
Sat Apr 19th, 2014, 07:57 PM
30A is $60/day, 50A is $75/day. Just for a port with no power is $25/day. I need tire warmers so have no choice but to get a port with power, else I'm screwed lol.

zrouth
Sun Apr 20th, 2014, 09:31 PM
I'lll share garage with ya, pm sent

mdlb
Mon Apr 21st, 2014, 10:56 AM
Given the current forecast we are going to need heat not shade in those garages - I was really hoping for >70 not low 50's.

madvlad
Mon Apr 21st, 2014, 11:08 AM
Yea, I'm debating whether to go or not now.

Bueller
Mon Apr 21st, 2014, 11:19 AM
:lol:
It's a week out, the weather won't be anything like the current forecast. It might be 90 or it might snow, you won't know til Sunday.

zrouth
Tue Apr 22nd, 2014, 06:46 AM
:lol:
It's a week out, the weather won't be anything like the current forecast. It might be 90 or it might snow, you won't know til Sunday.

precisely, it's damn near impossible to predict the weather more than 48 hours out. Also when you're riding a motorcycle at it's limit on a racetrack with a full leather suit, gloves, boots, helmet, and underarmor, 50-60 degrees sounds like a damn fine temperature to me.

theMayor
Tue Apr 22nd, 2014, 03:50 PM
I went ahead and paid for my full day... but from what I understand, I can still cancel (and get credit) the day before if the weather looks iffy, correct?

The 50 degree high doesnt bother me... but the 30's in the morning is slightly concerning. But as long as it's not wet, I'll be there.

madvlad
Tue Apr 22nd, 2014, 04:44 PM
My bike is at G-force getting looked over, hope she'll be ready by Friday.

zrouth
Tue Apr 22nd, 2014, 10:43 PM
I went ahead and paid for my full day... but from what I understand, I can still cancel (and get credit) the day before if the weather looks iffy, correct?

The 50 degree high doesnt bother me... but the 30's in the morning is slightly concerning. But as long as it's not wet, I'll be there.

Unless its snowing Saturday night I will definitely be there, I think I read this is your first track day? I'm on a Matte Black Kawasaki Zx6r with a green tank and I have blue/white leathers, come say hey and I'll give you some tips, show you some lines if you'd like, or help anyway I can. -Zach

madvlad
Wed Apr 23rd, 2014, 02:27 PM
Unfortunately bike won't be ready so I'm out for this one, Sorry fellas

ticktock4792
Wed Apr 23rd, 2014, 02:53 PM
^^ boooo

theMayor
Wed Apr 23rd, 2014, 10:59 PM
Unless its snowing Saturday night I will definitely be there, I think I read this is your first track day? I'm on a Matte Black Kawasaki Zx6r with a green tank and I have blue/white leathers, come say hey and I'll give you some tips, show you some lines if you'd like, or help anyway I can. -Zach

Zach, you are correct. It will be my first track day. And I'll be on a matte black sv650 with red/white A* leathers. If you wouldn't mind taking a lap or two with me, I'll definitely come find ya for some pointers! Thanks for the offer!

theMayor
Thu Apr 24th, 2014, 05:02 PM
Does the wind concern anyone else? I know in Parker, it gets so windy the gusts make it uncomfortable to ride... I'd suspect that out on the plains, it would probably be slightly more severe...

And the forcast is calling for wind Monday AND Tuesday... so I assume it's a sure thing.

Bueller
Thu Apr 24th, 2014, 05:12 PM
Does the wind concern anyone else? I know in Parker, it gets so windy the gusts make it uncomfortable to ride... I'd suspect that out on the plains, it would probably be slightly more severe...

And the forcast is calling for wind Monday AND Tuesday... so I assume it's a sure thing.
Wind is a sure thing almost every day @ HPR. It is nicknamed High Winds Raceway, you learn to live with it.

mdlb
Thu Apr 24th, 2014, 08:12 PM
Alright I am in, please feel free to stop by and say hello as I will know no one out there. Blue SV650, black and red Dainese leathers, silver Nissan Frontier. Thanks Matthew

WolFeYeZ
Thu Apr 24th, 2014, 08:28 PM
Wind is a sure thing almost every day @ HPR. It is nicknamed High Winds Raceway, you learn to live with it.

The tumbleweeds are the most fun!

madvlad
Thu Apr 24th, 2014, 08:34 PM
Making friends at the track is never a problem lol. Have fun fellas, see you all next time or at round 1 in super street if anyone is signed up

Auron
Sat Apr 26th, 2014, 12:49 PM
You know how the weather in Colorado will suck?

theMayor
Sat Apr 26th, 2014, 10:51 PM
Anyone gonna be in the "slow" group with me?

Bueller
Sun Apr 27th, 2014, 08:53 AM
They won't run sessions unless there is a large turnout, which is not likely.

LMFair12
Sun Apr 27th, 2014, 10:57 AM
I'm definitely going to be there for a full day tomorrow. I'm rarely on the forum so I'm not sure who I know from riding around town.
l'll be in a Tan yukon xl. Bringing my black CBR1000RR - White/red/black Spidi leathers.
Stop by and say hi.
-Larry

theMayor
Sun Apr 27th, 2014, 04:49 PM
They won't run sessions unless there is a large turnout, which is not likely.

So how does that work then? Is it continuous/ open lapping from 8- lunch?

hcr25
Sun Apr 27th, 2014, 05:19 PM
If no sessions track is hot from 8-12 then 1-5
everything you need to know is on the Highplains raceway website.
Lots of good info to know before you get there.

theMayor
Sun Apr 27th, 2014, 08:42 PM
Dammit. Open lapping was cancelled tomorrow.